PDA

View Full Version : Does Kinect improve the game?

BanzaiMike
10-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Before I invest, is the Kinect a good tool to play this with or do you just look like one using it. Does it track your head from inside the car?

Ginjasy
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
No it does not. The head tracking is rubbish and driving with kinect is only good for the GS then you will never use it.

OverIoad
10-15-2011, 11:52 AM
is the Kinect a good tool to play this with

No. You only need to steer. Since you have no gas/brake pedal without controller the game does that for you. At least on the hot lap mode that i tried. Controlling the menu by hand is way to slow, and at some moments when selecting a car it is too fast (this might just take some getting used to). The voice control is at least if you play the dutch version a joke. So far i've only managed to say xbox and have it pop up some keywords. From there everything i say is ignored. However if i play the first autovista audio where jeremy talks about the 458 Italia it navigates the menu by voice commands that he did not even say. Does it track your head from inside the car?

The only somewhat working option i've tried so far. Yes you can track your head from in-car view. You have to play around with it a bit to setup so you can see both your mirrors. But this option probably works better if you use a 3 display setup since you wouldn't point your head away from the screen. The watch left right using Right analog gets disabled if you put this on. Moving out of the sweet spot gives you a big re-kinect message on the bottom of the screen. All in all, Don't buy kinect just for this game!

EDDS
10-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Absolutely YES, the head tracking is truly awesome, it works perfectly. Head tracking works in all views too.

The voice commands come in handy as well.

Matt36
10-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Simply put, no.

SuperSkyline89
10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't think Kinect improves gameplay. When you use it you don't control acceleration of braking, only steering. This is Forza so I find that just stupid as hell, that kind of crap is more worthy of Need for Speed. Also, Kinect isn't in World Tour.

Kinect did lead to improved graphics though. The only reason Autovista exists if because of Kinect, and that mode is simply amazing. Without Kinect we wouldn't be allowed to get so close to the cars, so they never would have up the graphical detail so much. The Kinect cars have more details than the others but every car looks amazing in photo mode.

I think Kinect's a gimmick as far as using it is concerned but I'm glad they put it in because of the graphics. I'd gladly trade 5G that I'll never get for a better game.

master_shake_350
10-15-2011, 06:46 PM
That purple bar on the game box is a complete lie. I can't for the life of me to get the head tracking to work.
If you race and enable it and then it doesn't work? Say good bye to 1 fifth of your screen.

In short: No it does not.

PANIC ATTACK 10
10-15-2011, 07:46 PM
WOW i cant believe all the kinect haters on here.

that being said, i've done nothing but the kinect portions. also i bought this just for kinect! so heres my honest review/kinect funtions.

first you CAN do EVERYTHING with kinect except the season mode.

in season mode kinect DOES a great job at tracking your head movements.

also you can look at cars as well & take on challenges via the steering wheel,in this mode.

now as for racing. you CAN race every track,course,circut with EVERY car!

i would start with E class & work up.

your driving settings on your controller & view. these will be what kinect does.

example, you have it on automatic, it will use automatic to shift.

you steer like driving a real car. recomend small movements. also watch your hands dont slide all over the place. the sensor treats your hands as being on a REAL stearing wheel! which is awesome!

now gas is done via right foot, brakes too. clutch is left foot.

the graphics,cars & courses ARE the same as the controller based game!

i bought this just for kinect & am very happy i did!

highly recomend for kinect owners!

minuses are; no season mode & no online against friends. so kinect score is a 9-9.5/10. otherwise it would have gotten a 10. but missed 2 very important parts that should have been done.

ratio 1:1 framerate is same as controller based gameplay. so no reason why kinect couldnt be added onto as an option for season play.

otherwise its awesome! hope this helps :)

Blitz MMCCV
10-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah kinect is shockingly bad on this game. ive used it once to get the 5G kinect achievement and i wont be using it again on this game, other than to show mates how bad the kinect functionality is.

PANIC ATTACK 10
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
you can get all the ahcieves but season mode using kinect. i have done 6 or more using just kinect.

MxPx
10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Personally I like to run MT with everything off. I need control over the car, else I just can't keep the car on the track. Kinnect doesn't allow me to do this, so it is not as fun, imo.

Mightymango
10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Well, it seems like the Kinect is getting a big thumbs down and I will agree.

First off it is laggy, I constantly make directional corrections when I use a controller. With the Kinect, I can't. Period. It lags so poorly that I gave up before I even finished a race so I don't have the achievement for it.

The head tracking is poor as well, though, it is better functioning then any of the kinect lab games.

Its not in every mode so right there it even loses 50% of the use in the game.

Sorry, I have a lot of Kinect games and I have yet to be honestly amazed by how it works.

PANIC ATTACK 10
10-15-2011, 08:17 PM

First off it is laggy, I constantly make directional corrections when I use a controller. With the Kinect, I can't. Period. It lags so poorly that I gave up before I even finished a race so I don't have the achievement for it.

The head tracking is poor as well, though, it is better functioning then any of the kinect lab games.

Sorry, I have a lot of Kinect games and I have yet to be honestly amazed by how it works.

have you played rise of nightmares? no rails freeroam? awesome stuff!

Anthonymrb
10-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Kinect works like a charm for me in this game. It really is fun.

Qonok
10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

I haven't tried it with Kinect, yet, but would it work to get the achievement for doing a drag race in free play? If it does then that may be the easist way to get it. Drive in a straight line for a 1/4 mile or so.

EDDS
10-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I haven't tried it with Kinect, yet, but would it work to get the achievement for doing a drag race in free play? If it does then that may be the easist way to get it. Drive in a straight line for a 1/4 mile or so.

You get the chevo as soon you start the race, just quit after.

Unrelated....

I like the way everyone is bashing the worst part of Kinect in this game, (the Kinect driving) this is not suppose to be taken serously, it's just a bit of fun.

The actual main use of Kinect here is head tracking and voice commands in which it is awesome.

SuperSkyline89
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I like the way everyone is bashing the worst part of Kinect in this game, (the Kinect driving) this is not suppose to be taken serously, it's just a bit of fun.

This is a driving simulator, the driving is the central focus so when some new feature comes along that doesn't do that properly people are going to notice.

Fifa08Meister
10-16-2011, 04:10 PM
You either LOVE IT OR HATE IT simple as.

If you don't like using the kinect capability then use a controller. :)

People have their different views on it which is understandable but play it for more than 10 seconds and then tell people what u think ;)

Matt36
10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
This is a driving simulator, the driving is the central focus so when some new feature comes along that doesn't do that properly people are going to notice.

It does what you expect it to.

Balc0ra
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Imo kinect is there to make it more fun the younger players. Kids love to drive with it at this house anyway. But for me its horrid and just wrong. Head tracking is a waste since you need to turn your head so much that you don't see the tv anymore. And its 10x easier to use the 360 controller on autovista... 10x faster anyway.

SuperSkyline89
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
It does what you expect it to.

Only if you expect a half-assed experience.

Driving without control of acceleration or braking is not driving.

Imo kinect is there to make it more fun the younger players. Kids love to drive with it at this house anyway. But for me its horrid and just wrong. Head tracking is a waste since you need to turn your head so much that you don't see the tv anymore. And its 10x easier to use the 360 controller on autovista... 10x faster anyway.

I agree, in the videos I've seen of Turn 10 people using Kinect they all looked like retards in front of the TV. I couldn't imagine an adult actually wanting to do that. Microsoft just wants a piece of the Wii's lock on the kids market.

master_shake_350
10-17-2011, 06:33 AM
in season mode kinect DOES a great job at tracking your head movements.

Kinect hates me then, it does nothing and blocks 1 fifth of my screen.

Really? I started the race and after GO! it unlocked for me?

FSparacino4
10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Kinect isn't bad, it just never should have been added to this game. If you think it is terrible, play Gunstringer or Rise of Nightmares. Kinect adds a lot of fun to those games, but if I wanted to play a racer without a controller, I would go buy a driving wheel. Nuff said.