PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3: Would sentry guns be a good or bad idea?

Argus
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
I know the sentry gun idea was from COD but would it be better to have it manuel control like the EOD robot? Also post any last minute ideas for the game if you want to.

Tatanko
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think they'd be a positive addition. There's already enough ways to get kills on this game, adding one that doesn't require any effort does not need to happen. That has COD written all over it, whether you wanted to compare the two or not.

Argus
10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't think they'd be a positive addition. There's already enough ways to get kills on this game, adding one that doesn't require any effort does not need to happen. That has COD written all over it, whether you wanted to compare the two or not.

I know but so does Brink.

Poppygalaxy
10-17-2011, 06:21 PM
NO!!
I mean, what would be the counter. Other then going around?

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Short answer? No.

Long answer. No.

ITD Soldierboy
10-17-2011, 06:26 PM
No. We don't need unrealistic turrets added to a game that wants to convey realism.

Argus
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
NO!!
I mean, what would be the counter. Other then going around?

True, I should have put more info about it up at the top because now people are going to think that I said its going to be like MW3. I mean the counter would problaly be don't move while your in front of it lol or the aimbot for it woundn't be so strong that it shots at every living thing that moves and it would have short-medium range.

Pyrochaos
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Battlefield is not COD. And I hate all these suggestions that are trying to make it more like COD.

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
True, I should have put more info about it up at the top because now people are going to think that I said its going to be like MW3. I mean the counter would problaly be don't move while your in front of it lol or the aimbot for it woundn't be so strong that it shots at every living thing that moves and it would have short-medium range.

Not moving whilst in front of the gun is hardly a counter. The counter in MW was a Flash/Stun grenade, both of which are not in BF. As it stands, BF uses a very well thought at Rock/Paper/Scissors style that doesn't need to be cluttered up with things such as Automated Turrets. It's about how the players plays, not where they plop down an automatic killing machine.

Poppygalaxy
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Not moving whilst in front of the gun is hardly a counter. The counter in MW was a Flash/Stun grenade, both of which are not in BF. As it stands, BF uses a very well thought at Rock/Paper/Scissors style that doesn't need to be cluttered up with things such as Automated Turrets. It's about how the players plays, not where they plop down an automatic killing machine.

+1 indeed. And i like to add that BF don't got a "perk" that will allow you to remain unseen but anything like we got in COD.

Argus
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM

I was joking about that. Would a manul auto turret seem better since you would have to control fully to make it do anything?

Suiken
10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
This is an absolutely terrible idea...

Argus
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
This is an absolutely terrible idea...
I know just go ahead and vote to delete this before other people can read it.

CGPsaint
10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I was joking about that. Would a manul auto turret seem better since you would have to control fully to make it do anything?

One of my major complaints with the Perks/Killstreak Rewards in COD is that they remove you from the game in order to use some of them such as the AC-130, the Predator and the Chopper Gunner. I want to be in control of my player at all times. Period.

fastNcurious
10-18-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm just glad they added claymores. I'm not sure how they work, but I'm excited to try it out. I love being able to cover my 6 with a claymore in case some sneaky bastard tries to sneak up behind me.

secretkaos187
10-18-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't know about a turret,But it does have an EOD bot

CGPsaint
10-18-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm just glad they added claymores. I'm not sure how they work, but I'm excited to try it out. I love being able to cover my 6 with a claymore in case some sneaky bastard tries to sneak up behind me.

Amen to that. I trust my claymore much more than any random teammate. I'm kind of curious how many claymores they are going to give you and how many you can have down at any given time.

I don't know about a turret,But it does have an EOD bot

The EOD Bot is controlled by the user and doesn't equate to automatic kills though.

Cooljoe
10-18-2011, 03:26 AM
I'm just saying... There's room... It could work. You mean like those guns in homefront, right:confused: those things you control:confused:

Guitarr Steve
10-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Anything even resembling a non-vehicular killstreak in CoD just downright doesn't belong in the Battlefield series.

The reason I say non-vehicular is because Battlefield has helicopters, and well, they're sort of required for the full feel of warfare.

CGPsaint
10-18-2011, 03:54 AM
I'm just saying... There's room... It could work. You mean like those guns in homefront, right:confused: those things you control:confused:

NOOOOO!!!! The Sentry Guns were irritating at best even in COD. I think that they should stay in COD where they belong!

TAI JASON
10-18-2011, 05:35 AM
No Sentry Guns! NO!

exo-apollo
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
What I want to see is them bring the commander back. But he can be kidnapped by the enemy team and then either ransomed back or captured ya know or you make a video with him all bagged up and you have to wait for the video processing to complete and it takes like at least 3 hours of game time.

Grey Delta
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
What I want to see is them bring the commander back. But he can be kidnapped by the enemy team and then either ransomed back or captured ya know or you make a video with him all bagged up and you have to wait for the video processing to complete and it takes like at least 3 hours of game time.

I don't think the commander feature would work in this day and age, and especially not on consoles. We only have 24 players as it is and removing another to direct the battle would further gimp the team. I also don't think people would listen to battle orders a random stranger is giving them. Play it your way and all that.

exo-apollo
10-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think the commander feature would work in this day and age, and especially not on consoles. We only have 24 players as it is and removing another to direct the battle would further gimp the team. I also don't think people would listen to battle orders a random stranger is giving them. Play it your way and all that.

Hmmm oh yeah it would definitely only work on PC (minus the kidnapping thing, that's just for laughs ;)). All the 'battlefield 2 vets' on Battlelog were bemoaning the lack of Commander in bf3. To be honest though I don't recall ever seeing too many useful ones and quite often the slot would be empty. Maybe I just played in the wrong servers. Personally as long as the squad leader has some capabilities (giving out directional orders to the rest of his/her squad) then I'm happy. Oh and on topic: A bad idea, at least for Battlefield it is. I did however enjoy the hilarious laptop gun from Perfect Dark....

CGPsaint
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Hmmm oh yeah it would definitely only work on PC (minus the kidnapping thing, that's just for laughs ;)). All the 'battlefield 2 vets' on Battlelog were bemoaning the lack of Commander in bf3. To be honest though I don't recall ever seeing too many useful ones and quite often the slot would be empty. Maybe I just played in the wrong servers. Personally as long as the squad leader has some capabilities (giving out directional orders to the rest of his/her squad) then I'm happy. Oh and on topic: A bad idea, at least for Battlefield it is. I did however enjoy the hilarious laptop gun from Perfect Dark....

The Laptop Gun was perfect for dealing with campers. I would stand outside of the area being controlled by a camper and just toss a Laptop Gun in with them. Hilarity ensued.

steamboatidk
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Na i would hate that leave it to cod.

Grey Delta
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
But Perfect Dark was a disgusting abomination of a game (the 360 version at least)

Tatanko
10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
But Perfect Dark was a disgusting abomination of a game (the 360 version at least)
You take that back! Perfect Dark was wonderful, both the N64 version and the 360 port of it. Perfect Dark Zero, however, was probably not worth playing (I never played it).

exo-apollo
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Oh no no not anything on 360, I've only ever played the N64 version. Two players against all these bots, filling up rooms with remote mines and detonating them, accidentally killing the hilarious vengebot and then having him attack you for the whole round, etc. It was pure fun.

Grey Delta
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah I should have been clearer, I meant PD: Zero. It really, truly is bad.

The original on N64 passed me by somehow, I played the 360 port of the original but it didn't have the nostalgia factor that would have made it awesome. Now, if only there was a direct Goldeneye port...

Tatanko
10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
That's what everyone tells me. I will probably never, ever play it... I don't want it to ruin the original for me.
The original on N64 passed me by somehow, I played the 360 port of the original but it didn't have the nostalgia factor that would have made it awesome. Now, if only there was a direct Goldeneye port...
It's a shame you didn't get to play it back in the day. Since you didn't, I'm not surprised that the 360 port didn't impress you. As for the GoldenEye port...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2345

Grey Delta
10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
As for the GoldenEye port...

Sarcasm :p

I wish they would (could) do a direct port for XBLA but apparently it will never happen so I suppose I'll have to content myself with that abomination running on CoDs engine. Fun rental I suppose.

Outline
10-18-2011, 07:27 PM

It's got plenty of games written all over it.

But still, no.

CGPsaint
10-18-2011, 08:47 PM
You take that back! Perfect Dark was wonderful, both the N64 version and the 360 port of it. Perfect Dark Zero, however, was probably not worth playing (I never played it).

Very true! My favorite part about the original was finding the little wedges of cheese!

Oh no no not anything on 360, I've only ever played the N64 version. Two players against all these bots, filling up rooms with remote mines and detonating them, accidentally killing the hilarious vengebot and then having him attack you for the whole round, etc. It was pure fun.

The instructions state that it would seem that the Dark Bots are cheating.... because they are...

Dude, how did you miss out on the N64 version??? I spent many great hours with my best friend playing both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and every now and then I dust off the N64 and give the old MP levels a romp with the guys.

MediumMelanin
10-19-2011, 04:36 AM
I don't think so, then people would be spamming them and it'll be hell. So, just keep them placed weapons (turrets, TOW, etc), as barely anyone uses them...

xWOLF85x
10-19-2011, 06:35 AM
sentry gun no drone with a gun might work like the ones from homefront or if anyone ever played frontline fuel of war

Barad
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Very bad, lets not copy CoD, it sucks.

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
This thread could have been avoided if you had simply set this up for a vote instead of a discussion. All in favor of NOT having Sentry Guns? Alright. Majority has spoken. Next.

Poppygalaxy
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
This thread could have been avoided if you had simply set this up for a vote instead of a discussion. All in favor of NOT having Sentry Guns? Alright. Majority has spoken. Next.

Come one now. you love random treads. I recall seeing some pictures you posted of land whales earlier.

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Come one now. you love random treads. I recall seeing some pictures you posted of land whales earlier.

Ok, in my defense I didn't start that shit with the whales.

Grey Delta
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Come one now. you love random treads.

i didn't know you harboured a secret love for treads, Saint. For you, a random tread. Go forth, do with it what you will.
http://i.imgur.com/QOM8l.jpg (http://imgur.com/QOM8l)

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 07:01 PM
i didn't know you harboured a secret love for treads, Saint. For you, a random tread. Go forth, do with it what you will.
http://i.imgur.com/QOM8l.jpg (http://imgur.com/QOM8l)

Dude, you should really tread lightly when poking fun at Poppygalaxy... I hear he's a got a few screws loose...

Grey Delta
10-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Hmmm, in hindsight, I probably should have shopped a whale & sheep in there somewhere for maximum impact.

Poppygalaxy
10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Dude, you should really tread lightly when poking fun at Poppygalaxy... I hear he's a got a few screws loose...

mhm, Interesting..............
Now im seriously offended?

CGPsaint
10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, in hindsight, I probably should have shopped a whale & sheep in there somewhere for maximum impact.

Oh stop, I'm not sure my heart can handle that.

mhm, Interesting..............
Now im seriously offended?

Haha, no need to be offended. I'm just messing with ya. ;)

Argus
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM

It passed my mind. I should I have done that instead but I came up with the idea of the discussion of sentry guns. *Facepalm*:(

CGPsaint
10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
It passed my mind. I should I have done that instead but I came up with the idea of the discussion of sentry guns. *Facepalm*:(

Eh. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'll find that your average BF player is a much different breed than the average COD player. There are a lot of gadgets in that can be found in COD that make sense in the type of game play that COD offers, but is completely out of place in the BF setting.

LoIQ
10-21-2011, 01:18 AM
So, everyone here who's saying that BF should never copy COD and add sentry guns... you do realize that BF had sentry guns long before COD did..?? I don't think they would fit in BF3, but wanted to set the record that it wouldn't be a copy of COD at all nor would it turn the game into a COD clone.

CGPsaint
10-21-2011, 01:28 AM
So, everyone here who's saying that BF should never copy COD and add sentry guns... you do realize that BF had sentry guns long before COD did..?? I don't think they would fit in BF3, but wanted to set the record that it wouldn't be a copy of COD at all nor would it turn the game into a COD clone.

The A12 Enforcer Sentry Gun was in Battlefield 2142 and made sense considering the game is set in the future. As you have said, it wouldn't fit in with BF3, and while you may be correct that BF technically did have a sentry gun first, COD used theirs in a current warfare setting and it just seems a bit lame in their usage. Besides, the main people that use the Sentry Gun are boosters looking to max out their rank in a non-legit fashion. Good catch though. :p