PDA

View Full Version : Not a Saints player... Is this for me?

Outline
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Vice City and San Andreas probably retain the title of being two of my favorite games of all time. I'm sure plenty of you are with me being disappointed in GTA IV, and the direction in which it headed.

But Saints Row 1 didn't manage to grab me. I tried for fun, I tried for achievements, and I really couldn't get into it. So obviously, skipped SR2.

Now, watching trailers for the Third, the game just looks so much fun and so polished, that it's hard to resist it. I'm assuming all of you in the forum are big fans of it... But will it grab me?

Eazynem Makaveli
10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
i feel you dude, i couldn't get into two of the previous games because of 'impossible to clear side activities', must be the awful 'ps1 Driver controls' we couldn't use LT, RT and thumb sticks for driving. Looking at new vids of SRTT the game is a laugh and so much fun i pre ordered it and hopefully the side activities won't be that impossible to clear and we can use LT, RT and Thumb sticks for driving this time.

xTenebrous
10-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Impossible to clear? I have completed every activity on the game, the only things I never got round to was the collectibles and finishing the diversions.

d0ct0rscarecr0w
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Personally I liked GTA IV its a very clever game and has a lot of well done satirical commentaries on life and society, in my opinion it's very sophisticated.

Saints Row on the other hand is all about being silly and entertaining which is good in its own way and Saints Row The Third shows that in full colors. I personally wasn't a big fan of GTA III but I did like Saints Row, and Saints Row 2.

One problem you might run into is the fact that you don't know the backstory and Saints Row is a continuous story from saints Row to Saints Row The Third. You can still play but there will definitely be some references you won't get unless you played the others.

FangtasticBite
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
i feel you dude, i couldn't get into two of the previous games because of 'impossible to clear side activities', must be the awful 'ps1 Driver controls' we couldn't use LT, RT and thumb sticks for driving. Looking at new vids of SRTT the game is a laugh and so much fun i pre ordered it and hopefully the side activities won't be that impossible to clear and we can use LT, RT and Thumb sticks for driving this time.

I haven't played the first Saints Row, but the activities in SR2 where not impossible in fact most where extremely easy. Also in SR2 it was LT, RT and thumb sticks for driving.

d0ct0rscarecr0w
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
I haven't played the first Saints Row, but the activities in SR2 where not impossible in fact most where extremely easy. Also in SR2 it was LT, RT and thumb sticks for driving.
wait you can drive with RT in 2? I was so confused in one trying to press RT, but I got so used to it by 2 that I didn't bother trying...

Axel Desade
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
You can change the controls to that scheme I believe, but it definitely isn't like that by default.

CuddlyREDRUM
10-21-2011, 06:33 AM
I didn't care for either of the first two, but this one looks a lot cooler.

Eazynem Makaveli
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Also i hope characters speak slow this time in SRTT, another reasons why i couldn't get into two of the previous games. i hate it when they speak super fast and i miss what they are saying in subtitle therefore not understanding the story. i was like Whoah whoah slow down slow down!

ZedChuva
11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Loved GTA4 (only say it cause it was mentioned), hated San Andreas and Vice City.

I own Saints 1 and 2 but haven't played them yet. Got'm cause 3 looks like fun.

My question:

Is there in car for driving? All I've seen is follow cam, and, well, I can't drive like that... at all. Hate it and will never play a game without in car. Did I waste my money on SR1/2? Should I save my $60 on SR3? It may seem like a "small detail" to some, but to me, it's a deal breaker.

d0ct0rscarecr0w
11-03-2011, 12:37 AM
My question:

Is there in car for driving? All I've seen is follow cam, and, well, I can't drive like that... at all. Hate it and will never play a game without in car. Did I waste my money on SR1/2? Should I save my $60 on SR3? It may seem like a "small detail" to some, but to me, it's a deal breaker.
unless there is an option in the menu (which I'm pretty sure there isn't) all the driving is in 3rd person, and I'm pretty sure that goes for Saints Row The Third as well.

I don't see why you'd want to play a game where you have to do drive-bys a lot while still steering the car in first person though, that seems like a major pain.

HabsCen10ial
11-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm like you OP except the GTA games I loved were Liberty City Stories (PSP) and Vice City Stories (PSP) and then I played GTA:IV and loved it.

Now that GTA:V is coming out I was thinking of trying SR3 to keep me busy (I feel like a trader).

Now that I hear it only has SP achievements I'm really considering this. What does everybody think?

Eazynem Makaveli
11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm like you OP except the GTA games I loved were Liberty City Stories (PSP) and Vice City Stories (PSP) and then I played GTA:IV and loved it.

Now that GTA:V is coming out I was thinking of trying SR3 to keep me busy (I feel like a trader).

Now that I hear it only has SP achievements I'm really considering this. What does everybody think?
i love single player's offline achievements. Online achievements are no good. Every games should have single player's offline achievements only.

upindat
11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Same way here. I didnt like one, tried 2. but this is looking kick ass. this game looks like it is all over the place. I got it pre ordered on amazon for 30 bucks after all the credits i had. worth a shot at that price

xTGMx INF3RNO
11-04-2011, 09:55 PM
its better than gta!!! so yes

FeatherbottomMR
11-05-2011, 12:57 AM
didn't play the first 2 but reading about it and the trailer I think I am going to pick it up....

kierons316
11-08-2011, 07:35 AM
I was never too bothered about either Saints Row game when they first came out. But was at a friends house one day & he had SR2 on...

I was laughing so hard, and that was just at the character creation screen. I thought the taunts / compliments were wicked. I played it a little and thought I need to have this game, so I bought it.

Saints Row 2 - my favourite game of all time ! ! ! (Even though it has more glitches than anyone can be bothered to count)

For me, Saints Row 2 by far surpasses GTA San An & Vice. And whats GTA IV?

I recently bought Saints Row, to have all 3. I didnt like it. If I had played the original before 2, then I probably would have been put off.

Bottom Line - If you like San Andreas & Vice City, then chances are you're gonna love this ! ! !

Drewbles
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
GTA4 was ok, too realistic for me and the mobile phone with calls from friends, gfs to go do something really annoyed me esp if you said no, ud loose some of their respect.

Saints row 1 i did like, but it was THQs first time with this type of game so obviously a lot of stuff missed out like vehicles.

Saints row 2 was awesome so much more fun, esp the voices, goofy faces, singing to the radio, zombie mini game. I managed to do most of the activities but they were still really hard. Loved the checkpoint system they put on cuz the 1st pissed me off, if you got killed ud have to drive such a long way, where as SR2, checkpoints cleared u can do the missions quicker.

newbsicle
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I was sold on Saints Row: The Third for a few reasons.

1.) Customization - I can be a bald and skinny crackhead, a fully nude Latina woman, or even a pirate. There's so many options when it comes to character customization it's ridiclous. You can change the sound of your voice, the color of every piece of clothing, and so much more.

2.) Over the top fun - It's great playing a serious game every once in a while, but sometimes I need to just have fun. In Saints Row: The Third I can beat someone up with a giant purple dildo, call in an air strike on an entire gang, fly a jet and park it right in the middle of the street while I pick-up some grub to heal myself. It's all just flat out silly and over the top fun.

3.) Story - In all the other Saints Row games you're at the bottom trying to work your way up. In The Third you're the leader of the Saints Row and you're gang is at the top. The whole city loves you and you're doing everything you can to keep that power.

DarthWellington
11-13-2011, 05:16 PM
1.) Customization - I can be a bald and skinny crackhead,

Thanks for reminding me, I have to make Pookie in the creation station.

To the OP, what was it that you didn't like about SR1? If you liked San Andreas & Vice City but not IV it seems like the series would appeal to you at first glance. If there was something in particular about the first one that wasn't doing it for you, that'd go a long way to figuring out whether this one is something worth your time/money.

I love the series for the amount of customization they have, which they're keeping going in this one and for the sheer insanity of some of the stuff you can run around doing which they're definitely dialing up for this one. I spent way too much time in 2 throwing a package explosive on a random pedestrian and either watching them run around madly while other peds run screaming away from them or throwing them into a body of water to watch them go boom. That and driving a heavily upgraded bike off the top of that mountain to parachute down. The Matrix flip you do off the bike while it's in the air was a nice touch.

Benny34
11-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I've played SR1 & SR2, I didn't mind SR1 it just wasn't that fun, but on the other hand SR2 was a very fun, funny, entertaning game.
I'm going get SR3 around my bday which is a month after it releases, but I think they have online achievements I think there co op thou, but yes this looks really great so imma get it in a month or so, can't wait, I saw some reviews for it 9/10.

Axel Desade
11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
but I think they have online achievements I think there co op thou

The only online achievement is for uploading a character to the site, other than that they're all achievable without XBL gold.

Teh Phantomz
11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Didn't think much of the other 2 but this looks like so much fun.