PDA

View Full Version : Garnett to Celtics?

Hulking Bubba65
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Kevin Garnett has apparently agreed to be traded to the Boston Celtics.According to ESPN, the Minnesota Timberwolves agree to trade Garrnett.The Boston Celtics will receive Kevin Garnett.While the Timberwolves will receive,Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes, future draft pick.This is not official but will most likely happen.Is this a good deal for the Celtics,Timberwolves, or both?
Discuss

Fonkey Monkey
07-31-2007, 12:14 AM
i love it, garnett is my favorite player. he sure is hell isnt gonna win in minnesota, with the new and improved lineup in boston i think they are gonna have a good chance.

xDisarMx
07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I would say its a good deal for the Celtics. Having Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett on the floor doesn't sound too shaby.

Shaaady Souljah
07-31-2007, 12:40 AM
they are the immediate favorites to win the weak east i think. i hate to see kg go, but i hate even more that hes stuck on a shitty team like my go-nowhere-do-nothing-timberwolves.

i will be cheering for the celtics all year, in hopes that he finally gets a title under his belt.

Spacecakes
07-31-2007, 12:50 AM
At first he didn't want to play or get traded there all he wanted to do was go to L.A or the Suns.
Now he is asking for a trade and he ends up going to Boston again, wonder what made him change his mind.
Boston could have a pretty good team now. I dont think they will get out of first or 2nd round, but they will be a pain for alot of teams in the east.

Hulking Bubba65
07-31-2007, 01:10 AM
they are the immediate favorites to win the weak east i think. i hate to see kg go, but i hate even more that hes stuck on a shitty team like my go-nowhere-do-nothing-timberwolves.

i will be cheering for the celtics all year, in hopes that he finally gets a title under his belt.
Yeah they'll have a good team doing but in a few years it will be no more as Ray Allen is getin old and so is KG but this year they will be a force if the trade goes as planned.

SegaSaturnSNK
07-31-2007, 01:25 AM
From what I read, the trade isn't official yet so don't know why some of you guys are jumping to the gun. KG in Boston would be real nice though and have Boston fans to finally buy some tickets and watch a real good game whoever they play. They easily can go to the Finals if all three are healthy especially Ray Allen and his bad ankles.

EDIT:

They did officially announce it, lol oppsie. Watching the vid on ESPN.com.

EDIT AGAIN:

Well Stepthen A. Smith said and then later in the vid said it can happen. Real wtf, make up your fucking mind lol.

Shaaady Souljah
07-31-2007, 02:01 AM
well the minneapolis news confirmed it is 95% certain it will go through...

Hulking Bubba65
07-31-2007, 02:48 AM
well the minneapolis news confirmed it is 95% certain it will go through...
If its that then might as well say bye-bye to KG.He was a good player, he just never had a good/great surrounding teammates to help him, if he did then they might of had a shot when he was there.At least you got like 5 players in return and a future draft pick.

EDIT:It said on ESPN that the deal would give Minnesota 2 future 1st round picks, thats great news for Minnesota.

Nbag3
07-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Gerald Green, Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes have potential. Telifair however is terrible and is just like his relative Stephon Marburry, it was the happiest day of my life when the Blazers got rid of him now I'm glad the Blazers get to play the T-wolves 4 times a year and pick up easy wins Minnesota team that is loaded with big names in the front court but who are all proven losers.

Danny Dibo
07-31-2007, 03:55 AM
You guys are absolutly going overboard, saying celtics have enough to get to the finals.
Garnett is definitly gonna push them into the playoffs, and will be a consistant threat down-low. But the C's gave up wayy too much to be considered contenders. Allen is past his prime and probably won't even be able to play some of the season, and pierce wasn't even a allstar last year. The biggest win in this trade is danny ainge, cause this trade will fill the seats for the celtics, but they only got a little better. Probably end up as a 7th seed or 6th seed that gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs,, that's KGs M/O anyways.
The east is weaker then the west but already has contenders better then the celtics.
Detroit, Cleveland will be right there but this year, expect the Bulls in the Finals.

deej brutal
07-31-2007, 07:22 AM
imo this should at least guarantee at least a playoff spot for the celtics, and while the eastern conference is weak compared to the west this trade makes it almost a tossup between the celtics, the pistons, bulls, cavs, and the heat for best in the east next year. going to be very interesting to see how all this unfolds

Nbag3
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Haha, I don't what you guys are talking about Ray Allen is far from being past his prime he's not the flashiest player in the league but hes an excellent shooter and a great team player. Last year he missed around 30 games due to injury but averaged career highs in points and achieved his career high in points. Even though I despise Boston sports teams I think the Celtics have a good shot at advancing far into the playoffs. The Pistons as a team are falling apart, Shaq is too old to carry the Heat the way they need him to, The Nets are terrible, The Cavs are overrated and unless they get Mike Bibby they won't be in the finals again. The Bulls are a good team to look out for but they are missing a superstar, if they could get Kobe Bryant, which won't happen that is the only way they'll get to the finals next year, and drafting Noah was one of Paxson's worst moves as GM. The East is so bad though it doesn't matter who they send to the finals the Suns or Spurs will be winning the next three NBA titles, until the Blazers fully develop and win seven in a row.

SegaSaturnSNK
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
You guys are absolutly going overboard, saying celtics have enough to get to the finals.
Garnett is definitly gonna push them into the playoffs, and will be a consistant threat down-low. But the C's gave up wayy too much to be considered contenders. Allen is past his prime and probably won't even be able to play some of the season, and pierce wasn't even a allstar last year. The biggest win in this trade is danny ainge, cause this trade will fill the seats for the celtics, but they only got a little better. Probably end up as a 7th seed or 6th seed that gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs,, that's KGs M/O anyways.
The east is weaker then the west but already has contenders better then the celtics.
Detroit, Cleveland will be right there but this year, expect the Bulls in the Finals.

Look what happen with Miami. They got rid of two good players aka Odem, Butler, and other players for Shaq only and look what happened there. It took little over a year and Shaq brought a championship to Miami. You never know KG can do that with the Celtics only if all three super stars there are healthy. If they're healthy, they can def. get to the Finals. In their first year? I highly doubt it especially as Doc Rivers being the coach because I have zero faith in the guy. They need a good coach in order to get there but who knows. Plus, Celtics can always pick up some decent quality free agents during the 08 off season. Who do I expect to be in the Finals for the East? I can't say because I don't have favorites and plus, the East is a question mark. Anything can happen there.

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/garnett_trade_070730.html

Cause
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I think this is one of the best trades the Celtics could do. Believe me i live in massachusetts and i always watch the Celtics games. But what a lot of you guys don't understand is Garnetts just changed the Easter Conference for good. To be completely honest with u the only good PF/C we got in the east are either young or getting over the hill. I will just name a few of the best. Ben Wallace (no offence), Dwight Howard (too young), Shaq (Getting Old, Injured), Chris bosh (too young, Undersized), jermain o'Neal (Injured pron). With a weak Front court in the Eastern conference he will dominate. Hes got a slasher player in Paul peirce and a spot up shooter in Ray allen. If they can find a point guard to dish the ball and a role player to be a PF/C (Kandy man don't count) they will be a force in the east.

Adebisi 187
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I haven't followed basketball in ages, but the celtics were at one point my favorite team so good for them. Although they have been cursed ever since Len Bias died to coke.

oneandonlytommo
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
hopefully kg can win something now that hes out of the timberwolves team :) but i only just brought a timberwolves jersey with garnett on the back like a month ago oh well. i will be rooting for the celtics this year then if they have kg as hes my fave. i think the celtics should at least reach the play-offs i want kg to do well.

TimmayTheTurtle
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
celetics are an amazing team and garnett is an excellent player, so i'm sure he'll make a great addition

SegaSaturnSNK
07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
celetics are an amazing team and garnett is an excellent player, so i'm sure he'll make a great addition

They're amazing team if they have KG but without him, they're pretty much average to below average.

Wandering Proof
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I think this was a huge mistake for the Celtics, and a big win for Minnesota. They got a ton of youth. Boston got a player who has publicly said he will opt out of his contract after next season if he gets sent to Boston. Unless they plan on dealing him again... it was a big waste on their part.

I see the desert in KG's near future :):)!

alex4283
07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
looks like the kg -> boston should be formally announced tonight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2954127

SegaSaturnSNK
07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I think this was a huge mistake for the Celtics, and a big win for Minnesota. They got a ton of youth. Boston got a player who has publicly said he will opt out of his contract after next season if he gets sent to Boston. Unless they plan on dealing him again... it was a big waste on their part.

I see the desert in KG's near future :):)!

KG agreed to an extension with the Celtics from what I read on ESPN. As for the young players, sure Timberwolves are getting some good young talent but they're on their last year of their contracts so you don't know if they're going to resign with the Wolves or not after the 08 season.

KG's future is going to be bright as long as Ray Allen and Paul Pierce is healthy and plus, if nothing works out this season for the Celtics, they can either trade Ray Allen or Paul Pierce and receive back some good quality players.

Wandering Proof
07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
KG agreed to an extension with the Celtics from what I read on ESPN. As for the young players, sure Timberwolves are getting some good young talent but they're on their last year of their contracts so you don't know if they're going to resign with the Wolves or not after the 08 season.

KG's future is going to be bright as long as Ray Allen and Paul Pierce is healthy and plus, if nothing works out this season for the Celtics, they can either trade Ray Allen or Paul Pierce and receive back some good quality players.

*sigh* I suppose I had missed recent news. I just read up on it all. I was so hoping to see him paired with Nash... which would have almost guaranteed Phoenix a title next year.

Either way I am a huge KG fan as I lived in Minnesota for quite some time as well... so will be watching to see what he can do next season.

I will always keep my fingers crossed for some sort of miracle switch ;)

Cyrex
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
while i live in boston so im going to see how they are going to do, but the only problem is that paul peirce, ray allen and KG are all ball hogs so we will see how this plays out

Danny Dibo
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Look what happen with Miami. They got rid of two good players aka Odem, Butler, and other players for Shaq only and look what happened there. It took little over a year and Shaq brought a championship to Miami. You never know KG can do that with the Celtics only if all three super stars there are healthy. If they're healthy, they can def. get to the Finals. In their first year? I highly doubt it especially as Doc Rivers being the coach because I have zero faith in the guy. They need a good coach in order to get there but who knows. Plus, Celtics can always pick up some decent quality free agents during the 08 off season. Who do I expect to be in the Finals for the East? I can't say because I don't have favorites and plus, the East is a question mark. Anything can happen there.

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/garnett_trade_070730.html

Miami is a great example of why I think it won't work for Boston.
Ya, Miami got shaq, then proceeded to get Damon Jones for shooting, gary payton for defense, jason williams for handles, and james posey for post help.
Obviously with KG, allen and pierce, they don't have this type of salary room, and since they traded just about everyone for KG, they don't have trade value either. Like I said, they will make the playoffs but it will be another one and done year.

sack-gobbler
07-31-2007, 08:52 PM
As said before celtics become the east favorites immediately and in all likelyhood have a very good chance of advancing deep into the playoffs

SegaSaturnSNK
07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Ya, Miami got shaq, then proceeded to get Damon Jones for shooting, gary payton for defense, jason williams for handles, and james posey for post help.
Obviously with KG, allen and pierce, they don't have this type of salary room, and since they traded just about everyone for KG, they don't have trade value either. Like I said, they will make the playoffs but it will be another one and done year.

Like I said before, it'll work out if everyone is healthy and the bench and other players they have are ok knowing that KG, RA, and PP will average about 70 points a game all together. Plus, it's the East, that place is weak as an old man's balls.

Lifter Puller
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
As a Wolves fan I'm at least satisfied with this trade. I never wanted to see KG go but this is better than watching him and the Wolves lose for another year before he signs somewhere else and we get nothing in return. While there's a pretty good chance they'll still suck at least it'll be interesting to watch. We're a long way from being a championship contender but not any farther than we were before the trade. T-hud's gone so now if we could just get rid of Jaric...I hate you Marko Jaric.

artvandel4y
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd say Boston got the better end of this. Boston wasn't winning before, why would they win now. Who was their big man Raef LaFrentz? I think with the East beign the east, the Celtics have a shot to go a ways in the playoffs. Minnesota wasn't doing anything with Garnett, so it's kind of a lateral step for them, but a necessary one nonetheless.

yoyojovan
08-11-2007, 09:02 AM
KG on Boston is gonna be sick. Boston actually has a chance to win a title. Sux for us Laker fans.

yoyojovan
08-12-2007, 08:11 PM

James Posey doesn't play post, and Damon Jones isn't even on the team. If your talking about the 04-05 Heat team (which I hope you are) they made the Eastern Conference Finals that year and then Shaq and Wade each missed a game due to injury which is the only reason why they lost to the Pistons. The next year, they won the title!!! Last year they were just too injured and too old. So, this means the Celtics, will at least make the semi-finals (farther then they've gone in a while.) I know you mean long-term, but Garnett, Allen, and Pierce have at least 3-4 more years of prime left in them. They have a young, inexperienced nucleus around them, yet these players in a few years will be solid. There only competition is Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit. Chicago is great defensively but they won't be able to stop all 3 players, and Boston should win that series if not be close. Cleveland would be close too, but the Big 3 is bigger then just Lebron. Detriot is very experienced, but Rasheed is a big problem and Chauncey and Rip have to play consistent for them to win. With a Big 3 anything is possible espescially in the "JV" league we call the eastern conference

BackerMan
08-13-2007, 02:09 AM
It was interested to see Garnett to Celtics. I though he might play for Lakers with Kobe but nope. Do I think he will bring Celtics to the championship? No. But they might be top 4 in the east and they'll have to go through Detroit, Cleveland, and Miami in the playoffs.

sack-gobbler
08-13-2007, 02:24 AM
The Unstoppable Trio Wooo Wooo

Krueger
08-13-2007, 06:06 PM
the Celtics are a contender but now they have no bench there strong point is now there weak point but garnett,pierce and allen are all stars

Guamon
08-16-2007, 08:52 PM
the Celtics are a contender but now they have no bench there strong point is now there weak point but garnett,pierce and allen are all stars

Yeah. Boston is going to be a team to watch.

icecoldassasin3
08-19-2007, 05:11 AM
basically minnesota is the new celtics, without peirce

Gr0infro
08-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I couldn't be any happier about this. Not because I like the Celtics of KG, but I'm a HUGE Ray Allen fan and now he actually might have a shot at getting a little way into the playoffs. So happy.