PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in the actual card game?

SketchPanic
11-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Had quite a few friends interested in playing Magic: The Gathering after playing this, but they've stated that the little booklets were uninteresting and most YouTube videos seem to be pretty vague. So I've decided to start a series of videos explaining how to play MTG, from the basics to more advanced concepts. I decided this would be as good a place as any to share it. Please tell me what you think, but keep things civil if it isn't to your liking.

How to Play Magic: The Gathering - The Basics - YouTube

Senyth
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Personally, I think the best way to learn the game is by actually playing it. Another player in front of you to ask questions - during casual and not tournament play, of course ;) - is a valuable resource to have.

I don't understand what you mean about your friends, though - if they've played Duels, don't they have a pretty good handle on the game already? And are you referring to the core booklets that explain the most basic rules or the ones in tournament packs that just detail keyword abilities that are new to the set?

Overall, I'd give your video a 6/10, mainly because I feel the scripting was a little poor. I'm kind of a stickler for grammar, though, so it might not bother most people. :P Other than that, it was visually well done and informative.

I don't know exactly what your plans are, but there are a few things I'd recommend mentioning:

-dice as counters and tokens - when dealing with large numbers, it's much easier to count up a few dice; it's also neater than having 30 counters cluttering the board

-when talking about protection, DEBT is a handy acronym; the permanent is immune to Damage from, cannot be Enchanted by (and enchantments already in place "fall off" and go to their owner's graveyard), cannot be Blocked by, and cannot be Targeted by sources specified by the protection; examples are always good

-speaking of examples, in lieu of actually playing the game with viewers, since that is impossible for obvious reasons, LOTS of visual examples are definitely good

-Mirrodin, as far as I am aware, is pronounced "Meeradin" :)

SketchPanic
11-05-2011, 03:12 AM
They have a decent handle of things due to Duels, but there are certain concepts and situations that don't occur in the game. I am referring to the core booklets in my first post. I can see what you mean about the dice as counters and token. I've seen things become pretty messy when using my Myr Deck. It's too bad you gave it a 6/10, but I do understand where you are coming from. The only part that was scripted was the review of the colors.

As far as future plans, I do plan on going over the keywords and special abilities that certain cards and creatures have. DEBT was definitely going to be something that would be covered. More visuals and possible animations have also been suggested by other, who have seen the video as well. Thanks for also clearing up the pronunciation of Mirrodin. I always thought that it was pronounced that way. XD

I appreciate your input and apologize for my poor grammar. ^^;

Senyth
11-05-2011, 04:12 AM
I appreciate your input and apologize for my poor grammar. ^^;

Haha, no need for apologies, I just feel like it's worth the time to script it beforehand. It's not a hindrance, but professionalism is always better than... um, not. :P

You've definitely piqued my curiosity, though. There are so many dozens of keywords now... how do you plan on handling so many? Obviously the core abilities like trample, first strike, haste, and so on should have priority (speaking of which, that's another good thing to cover, which Duels does not handle very well - or at least not in the same manner as paper MTG), but the rest... I suppose you could break it up by sets/blocks?

I'm sure you have ideas already, but there's my two cents, anyway. :)

shinobigarth
12-04-2011, 07:09 AM
explain all the core keywords which are the ones that show up in Duels. theres like 20 or so. those are the ones that your friends will see most of the time and therefore should memorize, rarer ones often have reminder text. theres several you probably dont need to mention like Cascade or Graft, also mention pseudos like Metalcraft and Landfall and common ones considered "expert" like Kicker/Multi (not sure why Kicker is expert, its not hard to figure out).

Angelous Draven
01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
You could also do a video on say a question of the day. for example how does double strike work when multiple things block it. Have the demographic say what they have questions about and make videos to correspond to their questions.