Unresponsive Light Dash?

CelestialHusky

Is it just me, or is Light Dashing (Ring Dashing) really really badly done in this game? In Sonic Colors it was extremely responsive and I almost never had issues with getting it to work right when I needed it. In Generations though it almost feels broken in terms of if/when it works. I know they changed one mechanic of it to only work on specific rows of rings, which I don't really like. But even on the marked rows of rings it still almost never works for me when I press the Y button. Sometimes if I rapidly press the Y button and nothing else it will work but most of the time not. You either have to be EXTREMELY close to the rings and press Y at exactly the right time or just spam the Y button while jumping into the rings and hope you remember to hold it when the Light Dash starts. I could deal with the fact you are limited to when and where you can use it, if it only WORKED in the first place...

It only ever gives me trouble when I'm having a really good run.. I suppose it's because I get excited and I'll miss the window. I never have any trouble if I'm just casually playing. From my experience Sonic has to be more or less even altitude wise with the rings for it to work and close enough to want to grab the first one in the line. As far as the direction I'm facing it's always been mildly lenient.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that for most of my runs the light dash works just fine, even though the timing can be a little unforgiving. On a side note, if you happen to have a skill set equipped that makes use of the "y" button don't even bother attempting to light dash.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Yeah, you aren't the only one who dislikes the choice here. It is harder to Lightspeed Dash any line of Rings that are possible. In my opinion, I think they nerfed quite a few aspects of the game - Lightspeed Dashes are restricted to certain lines of Rings, Wall Jumps are restricted to specific Wall Panels now, Super Sonic has the lame-ass 2 Rings per second rule, slow Classic Super Sonic, and drain Rings at Mach 5 while Boosting as Modern Super Sonic. I'm really hoping the next 3D game fixes all of these issues, making it more like Unleashed's Daytime Stages.