PDA

View Full Version : Saints Row: The Third online pass limits system link co-op.

newbsicle
11-10-2011, 07:23 AM
I read recently that THC will of course add an online pass with Saints Row: The Third. What's interesting is the code must also be used to also unlock system link co-op. I guess publishers are looking to also charge you for plugging in a second controller.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/7221/saints-row-the-third-requires-an-online-pass-for-co-op-including-system-link.html

CouchOrnament
11-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I read recently that THC will of course add an online pass with Saints Row: The Third. What's interesting is the code must also be used to also unlock system link co-op. I guess publishers are looking to also charge you for plugging in a second controller.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/7221/saints-row-the-third-requires-an-online-pass-for-co-op-including-system-link.html

Was bound to happen, stops up people who play online via tunneling programs with used games. Sucks ass for the rest of that do things as intended. I was actually thinking about this when I wrote a post a few minutes ago, uncanny.

ZedChuva
11-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Wow... I think this game is coming off my purchase list. I, like the US Government, will NOT give in to the demands of terrorists.

I was planning on buying it new, but principles tell me not to. This is just one step away from bricking all used games. Buy used, and you can't even press start before entering a code, which you have to pay for. Fuck that, and fuck them. At least with online codes, they have some kind of flimsy leg to stand on. Crying about "server costs" or some bullshit. But to charge you to play offline? Horseshit. Gotta look into this more before Tuesday.

xTenebrous
11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Nice.. While this doesn't really apply to me, my brothers really enjoy saints row as well, why should they have to pay 10 to play a game online that they technically own, I can see why they bring online passes in, but I really think it makes things worse more than anything.

Falchion17
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
This sucks. I am a huge fan of the Saints Row series but this is THQ slapping their loyal fans in the face. One of the best aspects of 2 was being able to system link with your buddy across the room and rampage through Stilwater together but charging BOTH of you for an online pass for this privilege is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY because those of us that system link probably wouldn't play online at all on this.

kierons316
11-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Why does Microsoft not step in to sort this shit out?

I mean, do we not pay Microsoft a ridiculous amount of money for an online pass?

Erm, whats it called...?

Oh yea, Xbox Live Gold ! ! !

If developers are gonna continue to use this tactic then they really need to lower the price of new games.

stefanos2k10
11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
i must say even though i am buying this game new i think that having to have a pass to play offline is complete bs as a poster above said whats next needing a code to boot the bloody thing up good game thq you should hang your head in shame

sean_2k5
11-11-2011, 01:30 AM
you only need the pass for anything coop the single player game is still there with out it and when u buy the game new it will come with the online pass only people who need to buy the pass are the one's who buy used games or rent

Fifa08Meister
11-11-2011, 09:34 PM
you only need the pass for anything coop the single player game is still there with out it and when u buy the game new it will come with the online pass only people who need to buy the pass are the one's who buy used games or rent

He is right on this one due to online pass restricting co-op play. :uzi:

AlexK1999
11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Pretty crap but let's be honest, it's been the way of the gaming industry for the last few years now. They're really starting to abandon any pretense of putting customers before money.

Dazz
11-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Unless I check the achievement list and see "play X in co-op" then doesn't bother me at all. Never liked playing online unless I had to for an achievement and same for co-op on SR2 when me and my brother put our consoles in the same room and connected to Live since we both have our own consoles, copies of the game and XBL anyway.

I know it sucks cause I've had to miss out on easy achievements for the Fifa games the last few years but if it's a game I actually like (WWE games for example) then I've only been too happy to buy new and have that Online Pass for free. Hell, I even paid for the WWE SD vs Raw 2011 Fan Axxess last year which was the first game I know of that had a Season Pass type thing, got all my DLC through that without paying extra and thanked THQ for putting such a cool idea in one of their games.

In fact, bring it on, can't wait to play with my free online code with my brand new edition.

Unless you rent from Blockbuster or something on release day. One of my cousins did that for Batman: Arkham City and they'd left the Catwoman DLC codes in so he got to use that content before the rental period ran out. Could try that maybe, see if you get lucky and have the Online Access code still in the case?

mjc0961
11-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Wow... I think this game is coming off my purchase list. I, like the US Government, will NOT give in to the demands of terrorists.Somebody is trying way too hard.

If developers are gonna continue to use this tactic then they really need to lower the price of new games.New games come with a pass in the box. Why should they cost less? That would only hurt everyone. Trade-in values for games with these passes are already lower because the used game stores have to sell them for less to get people to want to buy them. Lowering the price of the new product only lowers that trade-in value even further and screws you over even harder when (or if) you trade in.

I hate this online pass bullshit that makes you enter a code to prove you bought your game new too, but come on guys. Try to construct arguments rooted in intelligence and common sense instead of stupidity and utter nonsense.

newbsicle
11-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Somebody is trying way too hard.

New games come with a pass in the box. Why should they cost less? That would only hurt everyone. Trade-in values for games with these passes are already lower because the used game stores have to sell them for less to get people to want to buy them. Lowering the price of the new product only lowers that trade-in value even further and screws you over even harder when (or if) you trade in.

I hate this online pass bullshit that makes you enter a code to prove you bought your game new too, but come on guys. Try to construct arguments rooted in intelligence and common sense instead of stupidity and utter nonsense.

The price point of $60.00 is too high for most games. There's a reason why a Deus Ex sells for $40.00 brand new after six months and why a Duke Nukem sells for $20.00 new after the same time period.

DOOKH8R
11-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Why does Microsoft not step in to sort this shit out?

I mean, do we not pay Microsoft a ridiculous amount of money for an online pass?

Erm, whats it called...?

Oh yea, Xbox Live Gold ! ! !

If developers are gonna continue to use this tactic then they really need to lower the price of new games.

Cash rules everything around me-get the money-dollar dollar bill y'all

mjc0961
11-14-2011, 07:01 AM
The price point of $60.00 is too high for most games. There's a reason why a Deus Ex sells for $40.00 brand new after six months and why a Duke Nukem sells for $20.00 new after the same time period.Even so, online passes are not a reason why the new game should cost less. New games being too expensive overall is a different topic of discussion from online passes. Also, there's a point worth making that if the prices are going to drop that quickly, they should launch at $60. Let the people who want to pay that much to have the game right at launch pay the $60, and you can wait a few months and pick up a brand new copy for less. Companies win from people buying at launch, you win for waiting what isn't a terribly long amount of time to save some money on the game. But again, none of that has anything to do with online passes, so why bring it up?

BTW, I think Duke Nukem Forever fell so far so fast is because it's not the greatest game ever. It's not as bad as reviews made it out to be either, but it still got a bad rep from them. Thus the lower price to try and get people to buy it anyway.