PDA

View Full Version : Fence in Whiterun?

shadowr4ven
11-11-2011, 06:23 PM
First major city you hit - where to sell my stolen goods?

rza_2002
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Theres only 2 i know of, in the thieves guild, as you complete more missions for them they 'unlock' in other towns across skyrim & 1 of the people from the mage college

Killerchronic
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
As above.

You need to stop thinking like Oblivion so much otherwise you are going to hit alot of walls like this.

shadowr4ven
11-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I never played much Oblivion, so this is new to me.

Paka
11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
There also seems to be a perk that allows you to turn businesses you invest in into fences, but it looks like it requires a very high speech level. I guess you can sell lots of crap to help increase it, though.

I was curious if there were any other ways besides those but I don't think so, so I'm going to have to go ahead and make a sidetrip to join the guild so I can unload a few things.

BlackDragon
11-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Where does the Thieves' Guild hang out in Skyrim? I'm in the same boat as the OP - hit the first city, and I'm weighted down by crippling amounts of ill-gotten loot...

McGoogles
11-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Where does the Thieves' Guild hang out in Skyrim? I'm in the same boat as the OP - hit the first city, and I'm weighted down by crippling amounts of ill-gotten loot...

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/11/12/skyrim-tracking-the-thieves-guild-location-the-benefits-of-being-a-thief/

After doing a few quests with them, you'll have a few fences to resort to.

SzilardUK
11-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Why don't you keep your stolen stuff somewhere safe until you find a buyer? ;) I use a crate in Jorvasskar main hall to collect my books, dragon scales and bones. (Yes, I do collect and read books. :)) Or you can use anything in your house if you've got one.

McGoogles
11-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Why don't you keep your stolen stuff somewhere safe until you find a buyer? ;) I use a crate in Jorvasskar main hall to collect my books, dragon scales and bones. (Yes, I do collect and read books. :)) Or you can use anything in your house if you've got one.

A house would be wiser if you don't want to loose all of your loot. Items that you place in random containers (excluding the storages in your home) will most likely disappear after a certain period of time.

Kirbster117
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
What I personally did with loot until I was able to buy a house was to clear a shack or something like a fortress and use the containers there to make that house mine. For the problem of stolen loot, you can use the speech boosting method to get it to a level where invested businesses (done by investing 500coins) will buy the stolen goods. High speech also helps with the price you can sell them for and the higher perks allow you to sell a lot more to shops.

John SWFC
11-18-2011, 10:52 AM
It is a bit annoying that you can't just sell stolen stuff in the normal way.

You can brutally murder somebody at random, loot their corpse and sell their gear no problem, but if you steal a single item the shopkeeper somehow magically knows and you can't sell it to them.

Iam918
11-18-2011, 01:31 PM
There also seems to be a perk that allows you to turn businesses you invest in into fences, but it looks like it requires a very high speech level. I guess you can sell lots of crap to help increase it, though.

I was curious if there were any other ways besides those but I don't think so, so I'm going to have to go ahead and make a sidetrip to join the guild so I can unload a few things.

I've got speech @ 100 and got all perks up the left side.

And even though the perk states:
Can barter stolen goods w/ any merchant you have invested in

I can sell stolen goods to any merchant whether or not I've vested in them.

Lewd Llama 69
11-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I've always wondered how merchants know that the piece of cheese you took from a poor farmer 500 miles away was stolen. :D

Paka
11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I've always wondered how merchants know that the piece of cheese you took from a poor farmer 500 miles away was stolen. :D

That has always bothered me too. Yet stolen gold is just fine, lol. :p

BlackDragon
11-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Okay, so I've reached Riften, found the Thieves' Guild, and done the first two missions for them, making me an official Guildmember. But nobody mentioned anything about fencing stolen goods. >_> Who do I need to talk to? Or do I need to complete more missions for them to unlock the first fence?

dragonpwnr99
11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Tonilia in the Ragged Flagon should buy your stolen shit.

BlackDragon
11-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks. I was avoiding her because she's the one who's supposed to give me my Thief Armor too - and getting that would put me over weight. >_>