PDA

View Full Version : MGS2 Dog Tags guide

AndreyCout
11-12-2011, 09:05 PM
To get the Great Dane achievement, you need to get a lot of Dog Tags. You don't need to get ALL of them, but most (check the end of the thread for more info on this). This is extremely time consuming, and I don't think anyone recorded a video for every Dog Tag, but there are quite a few around, so I'll post the ones I find, plus a link to a written guide. None of this is made by me, I take no credits for the guides/video walkthroughs.

Tanker - Extreme (thanks to thegreatBman)

Metal Gear Solid 2 Speedrun - Tanker, All Dog Tags, Extreme - YouTube

MGS2 Speedrun - Tanker, All Dog Tags, Extreme (Part 2) - YouTube

Plant - Normal (thanks to williamaparecido)

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 1 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 2 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 3 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 4 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 5 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 6 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 7 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 8 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 9 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 10 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 11 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 12 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 13 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 14 - YouTube

metal gear solid 2 substance all dog tags plant normal PART 15 - YouTube

The Tanker videos are on Extreme difficulty, which has the most number of enemies, so if you try it on easier difficulties, you should get all of them by following the video (some enemies will be missing). Plant, however, is on Normal difficulty, because I couldn't find Extreme difficulty videos. There are more enemies on Hard and Extreme, so in order to find these, refer to the following written guide:

MGS2 Substance Dog Tag Guide by Kevin Walter:

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/436/436348p1.html

However, there's a trick to how this achievement works. You don't really have to collect ALL dog tags like the description says. You only have to get every item that is rewarded by having a certain number of dog tags.

The rewards are as following:

Tanker Chapter (cumulative of all difficulty levels)
Infinite Ammo Bandanna: 46 dog tags (30%)
Stealth Apparatus: 76 dog tags (50%)

Plant Chapter (cumulative of all difficulty levels)
Infinite Ammo Wig: 73 dog tags (30%)
Stealth Apparatus: 121 dog tags (50%)
Red Wig: 170 dog tags (70%)
Blue Wig: 218 dog tags (90%)

(there is a lot of controversy over the real number of tags for each unlock, but these numbers were retrieved from Konami's official MGS2 Secrets Guide, which you can find here: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mgs2/english/mr/secret_en.html)

Things to keep in mind:

1. These numbers are divided by chapters. This means you need 46 tags FROM THE TANKER CHAPTER to get your first Tanker chapter item. If you get 46 tags on the Plant chapter, you won't unlock anything for the Tanker chapter, and vice-versa.

2. You only get Dog Tags to count after you finish the game (or the chapter, if you chose to only play one of the chapters).

3. You'll still have to finish the Plant chapter on every difficulty level, but you can cut on the Tanker playthroughs significantly.

4. The achievement will be unlocked at the result screen, when you're awarded your last item (either the Tanker stealth camo, or the Plant Blue Wig).

5. You need to get 76 out of 152 Dog Tags on the Tanker chapter and 218 out of 242 Dog Tags on the Plant chapter to get your achievement. Then, finish the game.

Thanks to iamtfc (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=311924) for figuring this out.

Hope it helps you on your quest to get the Great Dane achievement and finally achieve this difficult 1000:gsicon:. Thanks and good luck!

Blkmag1k
11-12-2011, 09:19 PM
great find, but I find a text guide to be far more efficient. Simply because I can mark off who I get tags from.

AndreyCout
11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
great find, but I find a text guide to be far more efficient. Simply because I can mark off who I get tags from.

That's why I put both. A lot of people requested videos, so I posted it anyway, but I think the written guide is far more practical.

zarmartiaux
11-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Man, that's some hardcore shit right there.
Bman really knows his shit, where are the soldiers at what time, perfect handling of the game controls.

Really impressive.

February cannot come soon enough, I want to recreate all those awesome moves.

NiteJokester
11-16-2011, 09:32 AM
The link you provided has the wrong names for very easy difficulty. just a heads up. 000 is correct but 001 on is wrong.

bennifer3000
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
The Dog Tags are the EU list from Substance, not Sons of Liberty.

Make sure you use those guides.

The Bum-Mobile
11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Pardon my stupidity, I haven't played MGS2 in the longest of times, but how would you be getting dog tags towards the beginning? If I remember correctly you start with a tranquilizer, and some guards have to be shot in the leg or arm before they surrender a dog tag. But with the tranquilizer a shot anywhere leads only to a very deep sleep. I could be wrong, and you could start with a normal gun. Sorry if the answer to my question is in the videos!

bennifer3000
11-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Pardon my stupidity, I haven't played MGS2 in the longest of times, but how would you be getting dog tags towards the beginning? If I remember correctly you start with a tranquilizer, and some guards have to be shot in the leg or arm before they surrender a dog tag. But with the tranquilizer a shot anywhere leads only to a very deep sleep. I could be wrong, and you could start with a normal gun. Sorry if the answer to my question is in the videos!

Some guards don't need to be shot/coerced in any way.

You can use the Tranq gun (M9) on them.

The Bum-Mobile
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
No I understand, but some DO. And they have dog tags that are required. And if I shoot them in the arm/leg with the tranquilizer they pass out.

Shattuck
11-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Tranq them, then come back to them after you beat Olga and get the USP. Pain in the ass, but that's how it's done. It gets really annoying on later difficulties when the ones that have to be shot are in rooms with other guards, since you don't get a suppressor.

The Bum-Mobile
11-20-2011, 02:51 AM
OH! My bad. Shows you how much I remember MGS2! I thought that the entire Tanker chapter was non-lethal. Makes sense, thanks for the help!

MITTEN MAGIC
11-25-2011, 05:16 PM
there is a difference between the European and Japanese versions. in the American version there are less tags in the American version

OnionKnight14
11-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Tranq them, then come back to them after you beat Olga and get the USP. Pain in the ass, but that's how it's done. It gets really annoying on later difficulties when the ones that have to be shot are in rooms with other guards, since you don't get a suppressor.

i thought you get the suppressor on the really tall thing just outside of where you beat olga?

GPR722
11-29-2011, 06:13 AM
i thought you get the suppressor on the really tall thing just outside of where you beat olga?

Ya your right. You get the suppressor by climbing the mast on top of the ship after you've beaten the tanker at least one time.

AndreyCout
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Updated the initial post with good news! You don't actually need to get every Dog Tag for the achievement! :Bounce:

JSP 16
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Andrey...what u mean u dont need every single dog tag for acheevo

AndreyCout
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Andrey...what u mean u dont need every single dog tag for acheevo

Read the end of the initial post. You only need 50% of the Tanker tags and 90% of the Plant tags.

CHRONICTHEORY
12-19-2011, 04:23 AM
B Man is dirty at this game.. thanks for posting video and guides.. +1

minimalism
12-26-2011, 08:50 PM
something isn't right with the guides. i've played through MGS2 several times on the PS2, and i collected all the dog tags back then, but the names of the tags here seem to be different, so be careful when following a guide using specific names for tags. i'm at 27/33 tags for normal on the tanker chapter. problem is, the tags for the marines were always the toughest to get. i think i'm just gonna leave it be and beat the game as is, since it's been established that we don't need every dog tag anyway.

Help
02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a question to get 'all' dog tags do you have to go through every difficulty and collect them or just on easy?

Scott Sullivan
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Can you collect all the dog tags on multiple saves (example, get all V.Easy and Easy on one save file and start a new game and get Normal onwards on a separate save file). Will that still count towards the achievement, or do they all have to be on the same New Game + file?

Arsya J
02-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I Have The Same Question, I Beated The Game On Normal, Both Chapters, After That I Played The Tanker On V.Easy To Collect The DogTags So After Beating And Saving It On The SAME Slot That I Have Done The Normal Difficulity, Went To The DogTags Viewer And ALL The Normal Difficulity DogTags Are Gone, Sooo Should I Play And Save Every Difficulity On Diffierent Save Slots ?

larky78
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Good shout . Do you need to save in different slots.

Jay ITFC
02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
I Have The Same Question, I Beated The Game On Normal, Both Chapters, After That I Played The Tanker On V.Easy To Collect The DogTags So After Beating And Saving It On The SAME Slot That I Have Done The Normal Difficulity, Went To The DogTags Viewer And ALL The Normal Difficulity DogTags Are Gone, Sooo Should I Play And Save Every Difficulity On Diffierent Save Slots ?

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! This needs clarifying ASAP...

FiNaL MaKo
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! This needs clarifying ASAP...

After you complete the game. Click on Load Game and load your save where you have beaten the game. It will now start a new game and ask you what difficulty to choose etc. This will keep your progress from the previous playthrough.

What Arysa J did was start a New Game and then overwrote the old save that had all the data on it because it didn't recognize it.

Jay ITFC
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
After you complete the game. Click on Load Game and load your save where you have beaten the game. It will now start a new game and ask you what difficulty to choose etc. This will keep your progress from the previous playthrough.

What Arysa J did was start a New Game and then overwrote the old save that had all the data on it because it didn't recognize it.

Thought as much thanks.

Done an initial playthrough on very easy of Tanker-Plant taking in the story (cut scenes, codecs, etc.) and managed to get every tag. Now the question is can I be bothered to go for the rest of them! Rough estimate on how long it would take if skipping all plot?

Stoko
02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Never mind.

Arsya J
02-12-2012, 04:12 AM

Dang Man How Stupid Am I LOOL! Anyway Thanks! I Will Start Doing The DogTags After I Finish Snake Eater Since I'm Almost There :3 Or Should I Work On Peace Walker ? O:

L Ducko
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Same here, for those of you with Iphones - go to the app store and seach for metal gear solid, there will be an app called "Dog Tag Viewer" and it acts as an electronic checklist! you can see your percentage of completion in redgards to dog tags as well as view tags by area Tanker or Plant then sub areas like Engine Room of CD Bridge

Works really well for those who can be bothered printing a 20+ page guide

cafcnickdugay
02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm relatively new to this game... Completed it on normal difficulty yesterday.

Going for the dog tags now.

Just got into Deck-A, crew's quarters on Very Easy mode, and was just wondering what you do when guards refuse to give you the tags? I have stood there and then read that you are supposed to fire at them, but all I have is the M9 tranquilizer so all it does it send them to sleep! What is the best way around this?

EDIT: Ok, I've found the USP. However, I would also like to ask, if you kill one of the guards before you've gotten their dog tags, is there another way to get it? Will they reappear at any point? I've just killed who I believe to be Eric Bravo on Deck A Crew's Lounge by breaking his neck and I haven't picked up his tags yet.

FiReStOrM^
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm relatively new to this game... Completed it on normal difficulty yesterday.

Going for the dog tags now.

Just got into Deck-A, crew's quarters on Very Easy mode, and was just wondering what you do when guards refuse to give you the tags? I have stood there and then read that you are supposed to fire at them, but all I have is the M9 tranquilizer so all it does it send them to sleep! What is the best way around this?

EDIT: Ok, I've found the USP. However, I would also like to ask, if you kill one of the guards before you've gotten their dog tags, is there another way to get it? Will they reappear at any point? I've just killed who I believe to be Eric Bravo on Deck A Crew's Lounge by breaking his neck and I haven't picked up his tags yet.

I wouldn't think they would come back m8, but i havent played this since PS2 and cannot remember. Moral is, don't kill them, and why kill them anyway :P I just wanted to say it may be worth mentioning that you can wake enemies up with the coolant spray on Plant chapter, very useful if you have trouble getting to a certain enemy or if there is 2 close proximity. of course you can wake up by constantly picking them up and dropping them, but the coolant is much better ;)

cafcnickdugay
02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Luckily enough I was able to get that guy again.

However, I have another question haha. As I'm leaving the engine room, there is a bit where a guard comes out (just before the explosives that you have to shoot) and says hes about to patrol the small room. I botched this and had to tranquilize him, however, he has not reappeared again as yet and I don't know if there is a way for him to reappear without restarting the game...

jackofblades
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Very Easy Dog tags 20 and 22? looked all over hold 1 and 3 for these 2

anyone know where these ones are hiding?

FiReStOrM^
02-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah he doesn't reappear. if you have a save file from before you have to load that, or play again. ;/ what happened with the other guy? for future reference.

cafcnickdugay
02-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Have you climbed across the railings?

In hold one, go down the first ladder, then by the second ladder jump down and grip across the railings all the way to the north side (up to where the screen is), then jump over the railings and one of your guards is there. Then do the same in Hold 2, then the other one you're looking for is in Hold 3 on the top floor.

jackofblades
02-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Have you climbed across the railings?

In hold one, go down the first ladder, then by the second ladder jump down and grip across the railings all the way to the north side (up to where the screen is), then jump over the railings and one of your guards is there. Then do the same in Hold 2, then the other one you're looking for is in Hold 3 on the top floor.

no wasnt aware that i could have done thanks :)

FiReStOrM^
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
I couldn't think where you were talking about :/

Now i realise. Yes when you first start off either drop down and grab, or go down the first ladder then jump over and shimmey all the way along. wait till he moves and jump up.

Shimmey along to hold 3 and he is right infront of you.

[I know cafcnickdugay said this all anyway but what I really wanted to add was]: Remember you need either FULL HEALTH or LVL.2 Grip otherwise you won't make it to the end of each hold.

AdamVG-R
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
So I'm starting to get the dog tags on the Tanker on Very Easy and have got upto the engine room, any text guide says there should be 5 dog tags to get, yet i've only found 4. The one I'm missing is Jeff A Saylor Jr. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oh and also, can't find Darryl F Kemp in Hold no 3.

FiReStOrM^
02-23-2012, 02:47 AM
So I'm starting to get the dog tags on the Tanker on Very Easy and have got upto the engine room, any text guide says there should be 5 dog tags to get, yet i've only found 4. The one I'm missing is Jeff A Saylor Jr. Any help would be appreciated.
I just ran half way through tanker on v.easy to check for you until i remembered i already done it, so there are no tags lol.

The most obvious one I can think of is when you get to the part where you have to disable the explosives, there is a short cutscene and a guy comes out and says into his radio somethin about fixing the door. if you miss him or die and continue he doesn't come back.

There is another that is a one shot deal and that is when you first get to the area (when you see the shadow of raven). He is right infront of you standing at the railing as you go through the door. Like the other if you die and continue he doesn't come back.

Oh and also, can't find Darryl F Kemp in Hold no 3.
Again the only one I can think of is the one just before the pole you can slide down. When you enter the holds go down the first ladder then jump over the fence and shimmey along. There is a marine above. Get him then go through to hold 2 and do the same again to hold 3 and there is the guy.

Did you get those 2?

If it wasn't that one there is another one I can think of buy can't remember if it was on very easy... there is one that appears in front of the commandant who is giving the speech, but from what i remember he isn't instantly there. for me i had to goto hold 2 and back I think. if this one is on v.easy it's most likely the one you missed.

Edit: After looking at my list, i see only 2 are in Hold 3 on v.easy.. So there is the one before you get to the firemans pole you can go down, as I mentioned above, and the second is pretty much directly under this one. From what I recall he is standing the same spot constantly nodding off. I remember on Extreme he moved but on normal and below he is sleeping.

Hope that helps some..

AdamVG-R
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I missed the first guy near Raven. I defo got the guy sleeping to the right of RAY, so the 2nd guy in Hold 3 must be near the commandant, but there's a whole squad there lol.

Ah, he was on the upstairs ledge. But he's an one-shot guy too I think cos I looked there last nite and he wasnt there.

Thanks

FiReStOrM^
02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
I missed the first guy near Raven. I defo got the guy sleeping to the right of RAY, so the 2nd guy in Hold 3 must be near the commandant, but there's a whole squad there lol.

Ah, he was on the upstairs ledge. But he's an one-shot guy too I think cos I looked there last nite and he wasnt there.

Thanks

The one you needed was the one on the catwalk above the guy who is sleeping next to ray (before you go down the pole)? If so he isn't one shot deal, he's always there so I dunno why he wasn't there for you before.

You got them anyway that's what matters.

FiReStOrM^
02-24-2012, 04:37 AM
Found an actual tag WALKTHROUGH for Plant (all difficulties). The text guide link provided is very useful, but this one might be more appreciated by some.

http://psxcodez.dlh.net/chtdb/psxfaq.php?plain=25256

Another thing that could be usefulThermal goggles will enable you to see whether or not a soldier has a dog tag

Krayte
03-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Dog tag 22 on Hold 3 in the tanker isn't there, have i just wasted my time playing on very easy to get the tags? Literally going to have to start again and just fucking hope he's there this time :( fml.

EDIT: Found other people posting about this in ps2 version in other forums, no answers. Please someone who know's what they're talking about reply, don't want to have to troll round the Internet like an asshole asking questions no one knows the answer to.

KILLBOT
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Dog tag 22 on Hold 3 in the tanker isn't there, have i just wasted my time playing on very easy to get the tags? Literally going to have to start again and just fucking hope he's there this time :( fml.

EDIT: Found other people posting about this in ps2 version in other forums, no answers. Please someone who know's what they're talking about reply, don't want to have to troll round the Internet like an asshole asking questions no one knows the answer to.

I don't know the answer your question, but you do know that you don't need to collect 100% of the dog tags to get the achievement don't you?

I apologise if I'm stating the obvious. =)

Krayte
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah just found this out :P. Have a feeling that i didn't make it to him in time due to exploring the wrong side in hold 1. Going to speed through rest of game, get achievements then get this tag at the end to satisfy the completionist in me :).

aspa
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, I've just found this on youtube, might be useful.. since the guy is playing the HD version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzhKYuhtlUo

Refused I
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
I've decided I'm going to 1000 this game, this achievement had previously put me off going for the completion.

I'll definitely be a regular visitor to this thread for the next few weeks :p

HalleBuried77
09-08-2013, 02:24 AM
This is absolutely insane! for some reason i feel the need to get them all

protozerox
04-11-2014, 04:21 AM
Ah thanks for the guide!

XDragula27
09-16-2014, 06:30 PM
thanks this is going to make this achievement a lot more bearable