PDA

View Full Version : Has SR gone to far?

PainKillerz919
11-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I really enjoyed SR 1 and thought SR 2 was a solid follow up, but I am a little worried that SR 3 is just to far out there. I want a semi-believable story in an open world. I guess I just think immersion might be broken with all the craziness that seems to be emphasized in SR 3. Thoughts?

iBuzz7S
11-14-2011, 06:52 AM
I think people are too wrapped up about GTA, with the belief that video games have to be done in a serious manner, to be taken seriously.

I think it's great that Volition have taken a light approach with the game/series. It's what makes it different from GTA.

mjc0961
11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Immersion can kindly go fuck itself if it means I get to launch myself out of a mobile cannon with a cat face on it and call in an air strike to bomb a group of rival gang member hanging out in a parking lot. :)

Not every game has to be super serious and realistic. Sometimes you want that, and sometimes you want to run down the sidewalk beating people with your giant purple dildo bat. This is why there is a huge library of games out there for our consumption instead of just one. Buy what delivers the experience you want, and if Saints Row The Third has nothing you want, spend your $60 on something else.

tripleb2k
11-14-2011, 03:29 PM
SR3 is a welcome relief from the Serious and 'Epic' games on the market right now. Look at all the games released in the past few weeks. They all try to be Epic and have a serious tone (Skyrim, COD 182, Battlefield 3, Halo remake, Gears 3, Assassin's Creed, etc etc). An over the top, at times down right silly game is just what gamers needs!

AlexK1999
11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
For those who've played the game, are there serious moments like in SR2 (The Julius mission comes to mind) or is it all just non-stop over the top ridiculousness?

swellow99
11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
For those who've played the game, are there serious moments like in SR2 (The Julius mission comes to mind) or is it all just non-stop over the top ridiculousness?
Mostly ridiculous missions, but thats what i absolutely like about it, people that say it isn't like GTA got to shut up, this Aint realistic but its just F***in PURE FUN!
Btw, never played a saints game before but a friend told me to get it, so i preordered it and got it early, And i got to say you its so awesome i loved it from the start till the end. :D Everyone just buy, dont ever think about it just buy it, You'll love it. ;)

iBuzz7S
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
A lot of it is a joke (not serious), but there are a few moments where it does get serious.

One instance of over the top... just wait for it. You will either just laugh out loud, or throw your controller and be over the entire SR franchise.

k1ll1ng5pr33
11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
A lot of it is a joke (not serious), but there are a few moments where it does get serious.

One instance of over the top... just wait for it. You will either just laugh out loud, or throw your controller and be over the entire SR franchise.

There wasn't one single moment of seriousness :p Except, maybe, that commander guy was a bit to serious. The story is absolutely rediculous.

AlexK1999
11-14-2011, 11:05 PM
On my way to get the game now, sounds like I'm in for some ridiculous over the top missions.

WheelzthatKeelz
11-15-2011, 05:17 AM
I really enjoyed SR 1 and thought SR 2 was a solid follow up, but I am a little worried that SR 3 is just to far out there. I want a semi-believable story in an open world. I guess I just think immersion might be broken with all the craziness that seems to be emphasized in SR 3. Thoughts?

lol story... I am nearly through SR2 right now and I'll tell you now, I've skipped all but maybe 2 cutscenes with my co op buddy because it's just a waste of time.

mjc0961
11-15-2011, 06:06 AM
lol story... I am nearly through SR2 right now and I'll tell you now, I've skipped all but maybe 2 cutscenes with my co op buddy because it's just a waste of time.
I hope you didn't skip the ones during the Brotherhood and the one after the cemetery fight with the Ronin. If you did, you missed out big time.

DarthWellington
11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Immersion can kindly go fuck itself if it means I get to launch myself out of a mobile cannon with a cat face on it and call in an air strike to bomb a group of rival gang member hanging out in a parking lot. :)

This, a thousand times this.

KamikazeZumbie
11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I played both of the first two SR games and really liked them, but lost interest pretty quickly in them. This game looks to be a ridiculous breath of fresh air in the game industry and looks like something I would love to play all the way through.

Gonna be picking up a copy for me and a buddy to play co op with when I get paid Friday.

Andreas_loel
11-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I would personally prefer a more "realistic" gangster esque story and style, always liked hiphop music and ghetto movies

upindat
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
I was on the fence about this one. I had lots of credits on amazon and got it delivered today for 30 bucks. It looks like its out there which is cool. will be a nice break from mw3 and bf3. we will see

tripleb2k
11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I would personally prefer a more "realistic" gangster esque story and style, always liked hiphop music and ghetto movies

There's plenty of those games out there. This generation hasn't had as many as last but you can still find them.
I'm not knocking you for what you'd like to see (too much trolling and dislike on the boards over personal opinion). Just saying, there are games out there like that. SR3 is just about the fun factor instead of story.

Phantom-Phive
11-15-2011, 04:48 PM

LMAO. Classic Response.

Toxaz
11-16-2011, 08:27 AM
preach on... realistic is sooo boring.

HDresden
11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
the way over the top stuff is why i love the game so much. its like somebody thought of the most absurd set pieces they wanted in a movie, realized it would be impossible and did it in the game instead.

stefanos2k10
11-16-2011, 02:03 PM
yeh thats what i like with saints how it goes over the top and is actually fun :)

jung4ever
11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
SR3 is a welcome relief from the Serious and 'Epic' games on the market right now. Look at all the games released in the past few weeks. They all try to be Epic and have a serious tone (Skyrim, COD 182, Battlefield 3, Halo remake, Gears 3, Assassin's Creed, etc etc). An over the top, at times down right silly game is just what gamers needs!

Well put, sir! I said the same to a friend when purchasing SR. I needed this as a (short) break from Skyrim ;) -that, and I needed to try shooting someone out of a cannon AND bashing another with a huge dildo.

stefanos2k10
11-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Well put, sir! I said the same to a friend when purchasing SR. I needed this as a (short) break from Skyrim ;) -that, and I needed to try shooting someone out of a cannon AND bashing another with a huge dildo.

what a great idea hope my copy turns up soon :)