PDA

View Full Version : Lowest x360a NFS game review ever

Barad
11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not surprised after playing the demo and the fact that they haven't change anything for the real game. I was looking forward to this but I doubt ill ever buy this, might play it in the future when theres no decent racers about.

BIGbivvie
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
A solution to your problem: Rent it.

I enjoyed Undercover and that review wasn't great, so I'm sure I'll still pick this up at some point.

Giddimani
11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I rented the game today and this is the worst racing game I've played in a long time and I play mostly racing games so I've played nearly all of them on x360 (and I loved HP).

The first thing I noticed was the handling of the cars, which feel like you are driving a marshmallow. I don't know hat Black Box intended to make with this game, bc you drive ~95% full throttle at highways just switching lanes to avoid traffic so thats really arcade-style but at the corners you have to hit the brakes pretty hard so I was a little confused.

As I mentioned the races take place at highways most of the time so you are just driving straight ahead avoiding traffic way too often.

The duration of the main story is just a joke, it took me 2,5 hours of racing time to the end - enough said.

The "Reset" feature is an ok idea, but how they implemented it is really bad. If you slip of the road for 2 inches the game sends you back to the last checkpoint, sometimes really frustrating - even in this short time of playing.

And now I have not the nerves to write anymore so just some fact:

- you can not choose your car for the races, you have to drive ingame to a gas station to change which costs a lot of time - annoying
- for me the race modes felt all the same, you are not really racing against other opponents (no start where all are together), they are way ahead of you but much slower at the beginning so you have to round them up which in reality is you drive against the time all the time - only the cops make up for some variation
- i have not tested multiplayer

So overall I have to say I even regret that I have rented the game, 60/100 is ok bc everybody knows the scale only goes from 50 to 100.

:mad:

dorkzilla123
11-15-2011, 06:21 PM
A solution to your problem: Rent it.

I enjoyed Undercover and that review wasn't great, so I'm sure I'll still pick this up at some point.

The problem with renting it is that it's an EA game, which means you have to buy a pass to play online. And if there are online achievements, you're stuck. I'm glad I looked at this thread cause now I will pass on it and just stick to Hot Pursuit.

Giddimani
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I forgot, the story is supposed to be great bc of the story...this was a joke. The only thing you know about "you" is that you are in trouble, meet up with some girl, win the race and suddenly its all good.

Why you were in trouble, what happened after the race...nothing. In fact its "you are in trouble, win the race from x to y, you win, its all good" and this takes place in 2 hours of racing.

I'm glad I looked at this thread cause now I will pass on it and just stick to Hot Pursuit.

I am playing HP now, at least I can say I played 1 good racing game today. :p

warrior411
11-16-2011, 10:18 AM
i have to agree this is the worst racing game i played in a long time, and i bought it, but as soon as i beat it ,its gone the worst game of the need for speed series and pro street was bad!

mgorsi
11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Still picking it up on black friday for $30!!

Dirty130
11-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I started playing this last night and am enjoying it. Comes with a 2 Day Trial for multiplayer too!

Thrawnn
11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't place at the top of worst racing game ever, but I will put it near the top of biggest disappointment based on initial expectations. I loved HP and even bought a 2nd copy on PS3 just to play with other friends. I ordered this game as soon as I could based on them continuing the style.

The Positives;
1. The comms for the cops is better.
2. Chicago helicopter pursuit is cool.
3. Maps with interactive landscape, landslides, storms.

The Negative;
1. Arcade ignore physics style of racing is limited. Drifting is sorta there, but not consistent. (I like arcade racing)
2. The soundtrack sucks, where is the music. Why not place in local spoof radio stations with dopey zoo radio talking about the racing.
3. Fence posts and rocks - They do a better job of stopping races than the cops.

Opinions may vary, but it feels like the game is simply incomplete.

SatNiteEduardo
11-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Here is my review.

Story sucks but not becuase it is thin which is the main complaint. I just want to race so remove the story and let me race.

On the track its pretty good in my opinion. Yes its arcade so its high speed and yes sometimes you do need to drive well to get it sround a corner etc but when you put in a good time you know it. so its rewarding in a way.

Load times suck. Implementation of rewind is worst ever. Having to unlock the ability to draft is just plain stupid. What is it with racing games and drafting. In Forza its considered a dirty lap but in real life lap records count if you draft someone.

In this you can not draft at the low driver levels.

Also the dlc unlocks make online harder for the non dlc guys because they do not have the quick cars.

All up a game where I do want to race but so many disappointments and poor game design decisions.

vithzeral
11-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Terrible story with unskippable cut scenes. Horrible driving model. Lame ass achievement that you can't get without the online pass (the photo mode is disabled even during the "free" trial, so that you can't get the Show Off achievement.)

Conclusion: worst NFS in years

Tecbuz
11-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Disappointed in this one. I liked Hot Pursuit a lot last year, but my favorite NFS is still Most Wanted. Maybe I just need to pick it up on XBL for $19.99....

Crimson Ridley
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
They could have made a much better game if they would have added an "S" at the end of the title.

Imagine having to race as fast as you can before you shit yourself. You would have to finish each race in a certain time and it would really add to the "edge of your seat" game play (where is where you may want to be, so as not to get it all over your nice leather seats).

Also, the hilarity that would ensue if you asked for the game in a store, only naming it by the subtitle.

FOXHOUND MGS4
11-18-2011, 03:07 PM
An absolute insult to the "Need For Speed" brand. There's NO sense of speed at all! Maybe they should have called it Need For No Speed: The Walk? LOL :woop:

Dirty130
11-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Wowsers.. Lots of unhappy NFS players. I finished The Run last night with a total of 2 hours and 16 minutes of actual racing time and enjoyed it for the most part.

I give the game a solid 7/10 and look forward to a sequel.

I enjoyed this far more than all the other XBOX360 NFS titles except Most Wanted.

Barad
11-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Wowsers.. Lots of unhappy NFS players. I finished The Run last night with a total of 2 hours and 16 minutes of actual racing time and enjoyed it for the most part.

I enjoyed this far more than all the other XBOX360 NFS titles except Most Wanted.

2 hours and you gave it a 7/10? WOW so this is now the shortest video games ever..fail.

Dirty130
11-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I said 2 hours of actual racing time if you care to reread it, but take it as you will.

SatNiteEduardo
11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I enjoyed it in parts but some levels are very poorly designed. Around the middle I thought I had seen this all before...some in previous NFS games and some earlier in this game. The last 2 stages were the worst levels I have seen in a game racing or otherwise.

Also the reset / rewind feature is the worst implementation of one I have seen.

I really wanted to like this game and in some ways it does promise much but its a huge disappointment.

SatNiteEduardo
11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I said 2 hours of actual racing time if you care to reread it, but take it as you will.

I think he understood what you said. I was surprised when I saw my time was similar to yours. Its way too short and the extreme difficulty and challenges are not valid reasons why a campaign that is barely over 2 hours is acceptable.

Dirty130
11-20-2011, 01:18 AM
I enjoyed the story mode and am playing the challenges now and still think it's pretty good. I love the sound and graphics in this game. The online is usually pretty fun too. I stand by my 7/10. Don't agree, that's great too.

rekikire
11-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Just finished The Run, the final race really ticked me off though. I'm 16 seconds ahead of my rival then suddenly he's right next to me shooting at me in a cut scene. There's no reason to even race hard at the beginning of that race, you're always going to end up about 1.5 seconds behind him around half way through.

Giddimani
11-20-2011, 03:53 AM
I finished The Run last night with a total of 2 hours and 16 minutes of actual racing time and enjoyed it for the most part.

Wow, i hope no developer sees this statement, that a game with 2 hours story can get a 7. Imo it doesnt matter how good the game is, a game that short is not supposed to get more than 5/10, not even a XBLA game should be that short. :eek:

Dirty130
11-20-2011, 05:23 AM
I bought the game from EB for $100, used the codes it come with, finished it and then returned it for a full refund. I have no complaints about the game or it's length. Flame on..

Giddimani
11-20-2011, 06:46 AM
How much you have paid for the game doesn't matter in how the game is being rated, the company sells the game full retail price and if complaining about a retail game, which has a 2,5 hour single player time is flaming, then I am happily in for it. :woop:

SatNiteEduardo
11-21-2011, 02:05 AM
There have been a few games in the last couple of years where when I finish I have the following question in my head for the developers "Do you really think this is what gamers want?".

I have just read a few user reviews on metacritic and I can see that the gaming world makes it hard for the devs to work out what we want.

People are comparing this game to NFS Shift series and in more ways than just saying whether the game is good or bad.

Also I do not get the criticism of the driving model. Firstly I do not want every game having the same driving model. I do not want every arcade racer haveing the same driving model even. I enjoy the variety.

I knew this game was from the arcade NFS brand not the semi sim side of the NFS brand so did not expect it to have any sim characteristics.

People are comparing the driving model to Hot Pursuit and saying Hot Pursuit had a way better driving model. I do not think they are radically different. I have used the same techniques in both games with the same results being messages from people asking how I am doing the times I am doing or threats to delete me off their friends list.

The technique is pretty simple. Drive fast, try to turn and if I feel I am not going to make it tap the handbrake and drift the corners.

I know people will have their opinions and I am not trying to say this game rocks. I managed to enjoy it but with many frustrations along the way but the driving model was not an area I would put in the negatives.

My complaints relate to track design and where the out of bounds lines are on some tracks as well as the obstacles that will make you crash or stop dead on some tracks.

I know we should not expect a track where we can go flat out and not worry about stuff but some of the obstacles to me show that the devs resorted to cheap tricks rather than genuine difficulty.

Anyway my point is seeing the wide range or criticisms and in varying areas I can see why devs have such a hard time.

eHeadache
11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
this game sounds like a piece of shit that you wouldnt want to tread in.

MeonOner
11-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Yea made a mistake in buying The Run instead of Forza 4. And on top of that this game keeps freezing on me, making it impossible to continue. So thats why Im probably going to trade it/sell it to re up on some Kinect games (like said in the freezing thread).
I had no problem and enjoyed every NFS game until the new Hot Pursuit & now The Run.
Just bring back NFS underground racing.

sho91
11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Need for speed RIP it has been dead since NFSMW and Pro Street was okay....EA=FAIL.....