PDA

View Full Version : Could this be classified as an RPG?

Paka
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I know there is a lot of crossover with many games and definitions can be a little blurry anyways, but the first impression I'm coming away from with this after a bit of play is that this sure has a lot of RPG elements. Stat and ability upgrades, experience could roughly be equated to respect I guess, loot hunts. Challenges and activities could be sort of compared to traditional quests I guess.

I love RPGs and don't mind grinding like I'm doing now in this, but it just strikes me so far as more of an open-world action RPG in an urban setting than an action game. The last game had some of it too of course, but the ability customization options really increase the feeling in this one.

Crimson Ridley
11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
It has many elements of an RPG, but doesn't fit every criteria to be known as one. Though, other games that are classified as an RPG are known as such.

DarkCrown
11-21-2011, 02:56 PM
I think we can still put it under TPS

I really like that they put an upgrade system , it make you want to earn respect and get more cash :D

Paka
11-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, a third-person shooter with RPG elements might be the best description for most people. Just Cause 2 could almost fit that definition too I guess, the upgrade and respect (chaos, in it) systems are somewhat similar.

Crimson Ridley
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, a third-person shooter with RPG elements might be the best description for most people. Just Cause 2 could almost fit that definition too I guess, the upgrade and respect (chaos, in it) systems are somewhat similar.

Same with San Andreas. Many games do it now as it's nice to watch your stats improve as you go through the game.

RDrules
11-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I think we can still put it under TPS

I really like that they put an upgrade system , it make you want to earn respect and get more cash :D

It is nice but in other ways its horrible as it takes away the rewards you used to get for finishing activities in SR2.... now all you get is respect and cash for most of them

x CmOn3y x
11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
more like a game with cod elements (perks!), anybody that thinks this is an rpg has obviously never played an rpg

mjc0961
11-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Same with San Andreas. Many games do it now as it's nice to watch your stats improve as you go through the game.San Andreas having RPG elements is a bit of a stretch. I don't really consider "go work out two or three times and be set for the rest of the game as long as you eat a cheeseburger every 3 missions" to be an RPG element myself. It was more of an annoying sidequest.

There was something about "leveling up" guns as I recall, but I mostly just remember it being completely unnecessary because CJ was already a good shot.

more like a game with cod elements (perks!), anybody that thinks this is an rpg has obviously never played an rpg
Yeah, it's not an RPG by any means. It has very basic RPG elements, that's about it. ... Actually I guess it is like San Andreas in that it's a stretch to even claim they have all that many RPG elements in the first place.

I say good, though. If I wanted an RPG, I'd play an RPG. I wanted to play a sandbox third person shooter though, so that's what I'm playing.

Paka
11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
If you do an internet search on the definition of an RPG, you will come up with quite a variety of answers. I've been playing them since the original Phantasy Star, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy, and definitely safe to say I've played more than a few over the last couple decades. Enough to see just how much variety there is and how far the definition can be pushed.

The one feature that seems to be most universally agreed on though is that characters have to be able to grow in their stats; strength, health, abilities, ect. The depth of this in Saints Row The Third is what pushes it more towards that definition. You have to use some strategy in developing your character early on. You also have to gain the equivalent of experience to progress the story, pure skill in beating missions alone isn't enough. But as brought up, many games are incorporating RPG elements these days.

You get games like the Zelda series that sometimes get lumped in with RPGs, even though most agree that they aren't. I'd say this just FEELS more like one than some that get classified in the genre like that.

ETA: Here is one reviewer that seems to agree on this one- http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/224136/preview-saints-row-the-third/ I'd say he is right, not all the trappings, not by far, but enough to get the feel I am from it.

mjc0961
11-21-2011, 08:44 PM
You also have to gain the equivalent of experience to progress the story, pure skill in beating missions alone isn't enough.

Now that I don't buy for a second. I'm sure someone out there is already doing a hard difficulty + no upgrades run and will manage to beat the game. And if someone isn't yet, someone will. This game still is above all else a third person shooter, and you can absolutely get by on pure skill if you want to badly enough. There aren't nearly enough RPG elements to make this a "level up or lose the game" kind of affair.

Paka
11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I suppose you're right, shouldn't have said that for all gamers as probably are some hardcore types doing that right now, and you get a lot of low-level challenges like that in traditional RPGs too. I can't imagine it being the case for most though. Even on casual, they upped the difficulty quite a bit. I think they tried to make it where the vast majority would have to take advantage of the system. But yeah, I concede it is more of a TPS, but just can't shake the RPG feel on this one. Not quite a hybrid game like Borderlands (FPS/RPG for that) but still I think it is pushing that way.