PDA

View Full Version : Cortana and Master Chief roles in Halo 4 detailed

DarkReign2021
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
We know that Halo 4 (http://www.shacknews.com/game/halo-4) is the start of a new trilogy focused on the Forerunners, but Master Chief's own role in the conflict has been given a bit more detail now. Apparently the hero has been set adrift for quite a while, and Cortana's long life is beginning to catch up with her.
"There's some fairly radical modifications to his armor" 343's Frank O'Connor told Xbox World (via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/328204/features/halo-4-why-the-trilogy-ends-on-next-gen/)). "Some of those are an artistic evolution, but some are connected to the story. We just can't talk about it yet. He's been in space for a long time."
Meanwhile, Cortana will be in danger again, this time from her own expiration date. "Seven years is the lifespan for a smart AI before it enters a state called rampancy," O'Connor said. "Cortana was getting close to the end of her natural lifespan at the end of Halo 3 but she has been exposed to far more information than any other AI in existence. She's going to develop some muscle from that process but it also contributes to her rampancy - that much information makes things worse."
In general terms, these story hooks add color to the overall plot regarding the Forerunners. O'Connor says he wants this trilogy to bring back "the sense of wonder and mystery. We're definitely going back to that air of exploration, and putting in some surprises that I think people will like."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71369/master-chief-cortanas-roles-in-halo-4-detailed

Not much is said, but this does further reinforce one major detail. Unlike Bungie, who proved with Reach that they don't care about established canon from the books, 343 is working with the pre-existing content and aiming to implement it into the game itself. The bit about the AI lifespan has never been canonically confirmed in any of the games, only the novels, so between it and the CEA terminals, it's obvious they're bringing the two worlds together.

My advice to everybody that hasn't read the books yet, better get out there and do it. Cryptum at the very least, but I also suggest Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, and Glasslands.

MixMaker1
12-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I LOVE that they're connecting all of this together.

Halo 4... is going to be badass.

RBmaster9345
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I had thought I'd skip the forerunner saga because I didn't seem all that appealing but now it seems I can't afford to do so

theNomad
12-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Having finally finished Halo CE:A cheevos the other night, a good few weeks behind MixMaker1 ;). I had one last task to do, and that was to claim my Reach cR via Waypoints terminals, and someone on this video on Youtube comments claims they've decoded the forunner glyphs/characters into English.Terminal Codes

They're meant to be

Terminal 1 code translates to 343GS
Terminal 2 code translates to HALO4
Terminal 3 code translates to SPARK
Terminal 4 code translates to FLOOD
Terminal 5 code translates to EARTH
Terminal 6 code translates to DEMON
Terminal 7 code translates to RINGS
Terminal 8 code translates to ARRAY
Terminal 9 code translates to HUMAN
Terminal 10 code translates to HAVEN

With the second one being Halo 4 it wouldn't surprise me if these aren't subtle references to possible level titles or themes for Halo 4's missions/levels.

I guess

#1 could be 343 having somehow re-programed Cortanas AI to get chief to this destination as shown in the 4 teaser trailer.

#2 being Halo 4 could mean it'll foreshadow the Halo level from the original, in that it'll be up to chief to rescue captive humans, because no way chiefs going to be a lone spartan in some barren alien place for long.

#10 sounds like a clear safe haven for chief to reach, until Halo 5 that is.

The rest not sure, I've ideas that are totally crazy not sure they'd go down some of those routes.

I think the beauty is we don't know how long MC's been in his cryo stasis, so the game could take place anytime from the end of 3.

Pure theory and hey I'm a touch drunk but I'm a sucker for sci-fi theory so here goes as for the forerunners I don't buy a superior race would vanish leaving tech working for a purpose, that they'd never seek benefit from.

We know they existed in the past and had massively advanced technology, even beyond what future human race can understand. Whose to say that all those ancient buildings and their technology wasn't sent from the future to control the universe as we know it into the place best suited for the forerunners to inherit (final rank in reach perhaps for a reason ?) when their time comes into being. And that we humble humans are actually just a small stepping stone (like the ape was with us) in that very long chain of development that will finally evolve into a forerunner. Even the name suggests they're a race thats been running everything from the beginning.

"You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner."

Now don't get me wrong I don't think times moved that far ahead for chief and any humans/spartans surviving in the universe, to actually meet forerunners and even if somehow we did it'd be like a chimp understanding man. But I think it'll be set far enough to be a new test for man, whatever it is. Its also strong enough to have survived covenant (possibly by recruiting covenant forces) and has also fought through an era of flood infestations. So we know whatever is still breathing its gonna be a bigger tougher challenge this time.

:uzi: Bring it on... I can't wait to open another can of alien whoop ass.

DarkReign2021
12-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Well so far here's what we know:

Mendicant Bias play an important role in the events of the series. He is the main reason the Flood nearly defeated the Forerunner 100,000 years ago. Offensive Bias fought him above the Ark and won, but for whatever reason Mendicant is still alive and Offensive is nowhere to be found. Mendicant, however, has come to realize he was wrong in his decisions and wishes to atone for his actions by guiding the Galaxy toward defeating the Flood once more.

The Master Chief found a forerunner world classified by ONI as Sigma 7. Forward Unto Dawn, the ship at the end of Halo 3, was severed in half by the collapse of the portal with the Chiefs half still inside. What are the chances that the Chief would have still been inside the portion that was cut off AND that it would've just happened to have come out above the Forerunner world unless somebody was guiding them there? (Mendicant Bias?)

As 343 confirmed in the Anniversary terminals, The Human Race, or at least select candidates within it such as the Master Chief, or guided by a Geas. A Geas is traditionally a ceremony that was the Forerunner equivalent of a Bar Mitzvah, except the Forerunner were able to transfer over physical and mental attributes from the "father", possibly to the point of becoming that very same person. There were 2 important humans involved with the Halo Array and the Flood War 100,000 years ago and it's all but confirmed that one, Chakas, is a direct ancestor to the Master Chief. What this means is the Master Chief was destined to be where he is now by any means necessary and for reasons he can't explain, but he knows to be true. This Geas is the "luck" that Cortana has always felt in him.

The Events of Halo 4 won't be more than a few years ahead of Halo 3, maybe a decade at most. Obviously a drift would take a decent amount of time, but from what we can see between the H4 trailer and the ending of H3, he hasn't covered much distance toward the planet. We also know that a particular Human Ship, known as Infinity, will be involved in the events of Halo 4. This ship houses every technological advance humanity has ever learned from the Forerunner and we learned in Glasslands that it's already been in development for several years as of the year 2553.

Prince James
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Cant wait to get 4. Dont see why everyone moans about all this new stuff they add to make it better but surely that is tha way forward. I played all the halos now and too be far they were all amazing. cant say much more than that. defininetly on preorder.

LickableLemons7
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
How is Medicant Bias still alive? Is it possible that the Forerunner technology is THAT advanced? I suppose Guilty Spark could have gone on for quite some time in that rampant state, until we lasered him. Then again, if we hadn't provoked him as we fired the ring at an early stage, he may have not flickered into "rampant mode." If Spark could seemingly control himself, does this suggest Cortana could do the same?

DarkReign2021
12-05-2011, 11:06 PM
343 was never "rampant" in the sense that we've come to know. None of the Forerunner A.I are capable of going rampant as far as anybody is aware. Human A.I are able to physically simulate emotion, but they themselves do not feel it except when in a rampant state. They are also, however free they might seem to be, programmed to be loyal to the UNSC (barring the council read about in the Reach Datapads.)

Forerunner A.I, on the other hand, are able to feel the full spectrum of emotions and are fully capable of making their own choices and decisions. When Mendicant Bias switched sides, it's not because he was rampant, but because he was coerced into believing the Flood was going to be the winning team. He chose to go over. Same with 343. When he started to attack Johnson and the Chief, it's because his sole purpose in life is to safeguard and manage Installation 04. So when they tried to destroy it (again) 343 responded by attempting to eliminate all threats (again).

That said, the active lifespan of a Forerunner A.I is unknown, but is confirmed to be greater than 100,000 years, particularly Mendicant Bias who was created at the time when the Halo Array was first devised.

Just as a little side note, and this is a theory I've maintained since Halo 2 came out, I think that she's seeking the longevity of Forerunner A.I lifespan. Ever since she was put into the Installation 04 terminal in Halo: CE, notice how much quieter she is and how much more erratic she is when she does speak up. The curiosity of H1's Cortana is gone and replaced by a Cortana with a mission and a purpose. As a Smart A.I, she has a 7 year lifespan at max. With all of the information she's taken in from both Halos AND High Charity pre- and post-Gravemind takeover as well as anything she might have gleaned from the Ark's networks, she is definitely reaching the end of her life.

LickableLemons7
12-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Didn't you mention something in your big guide to the Halo universe about Guilty Spark going rampant? I'm on my phone right now, and I can't pull up that thread for whatever silly reason, so I'm stuck here for the next 2 hours or so.

DarkReign2021
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
We did make mention of both Mendicant Bias and 343 in the Rampancy segment of the Guide, yes. To be honest this is one point that Mingy and I disagree on as I feel that neither AI is actually rampant. They both show signs that could be potentially linked to a rampant state, but as was mentioned in the 343 segment, his actions are most likely a defense protocol and not actually rampancy. The rhyming is a popular theme in the Halo franchise as Gravemind, Cortana, and 343 are all guilty of it, but the fact that the Gravemind does it and he isn't an AI suggests to me that there's another purpose behind why they speak in Iambic rhymes.

I accept that 343 might be somewhat rampant in his behavior, but as we see in the Anniversary terminals, I feel this is more a result of his boredom and the time he's had to let his mind wander over the millenia than a sign of rampancy.

halorvb13
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Having finally finished Halo CE:A cheevos the other night, a good few weeks behind MixMaker1 ;). I had one last task to do, and that was to claim my Reach cR via Waypoints terminals, and someone on this video on Youtube comments claims they've decoded the forunner glyphs/characters into English.Terminal Codes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nozy6iWulDI)

They're meant to be

Terminal 1 code translates to 343GS
Terminal 2 code translates to HALO4
Terminal 3 code translates to SPARK
Terminal 4 code translates to FLOOD
Terminal 5 code translates to EARTH
Terminal 6 code translates to DEMON
Terminal 7 code translates to RINGS
Terminal 8 code translates to ARRAY
Terminal 9 code translates to HUMAN
Terminal 10 code translates to HAVEN

With the second one being Halo 4 it wouldn't surprise me if these aren't subtle references to possible level titles or themes for Halo 4's missions/levels.

I guess

#1 could be 343 having somehow re-programed Cortanas AI to get chief to this destination as shown in the 4 teaser trailer.

#2 being Halo 4 could mean it'll foreshadow the Halo level from the original, in that it'll be up to chief to rescue captive humans, because no way chiefs going to be a lone spartan in some barren alien place for long.

#10 sounds like a clear safe haven for chief to reach, until Halo 5 that is.

The rest not sure, I've ideas that are totally crazy not sure they'd go down some of those routes.

I think the beauty is we don't know how long MC's been in his cryo stasis, so the game could take place anytime from the end of 3.

Pure theory and hey I'm a touch drunk but I'm a sucker for sci-fi theory so here goes as for the forerunners I don't buy a superior race would vanish leaving tech working for a purpose, that they'd never seek benefit from.

We know they existed in the past and had massively advanced technology, even beyond what future human race can understand. Whose to say that all those ancient buildings and their technology wasn't sent from the future to control the universe as we know it into the place best suited for the forerunners to inherit (final rank in reach perhaps for a reason ?) when their time comes into being. And that we humble humans are actually just a small stepping stone (like the ape was with us) in that very long chain of development that will finally evolve into a forerunner. Even the name suggests they're a race thats been running everything from the beginning.

"You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You are Forerunner."

Now don't get me wrong I don't think times moved that far ahead for chief and any humans/spartans surviving in the universe, to actually meet forerunners and even if somehow we did it'd be like a chimp understanding man. But I think it'll be set far enough to be a new test for man, whatever it is. Its also strong enough to have survived covenant (possibly by recruiting covenant forces) and has also fought through an era of flood infestations. So we know whatever is still breathing its gonna be a bigger tougher challenge this time.

:uzi: Bring it on... I can't wait to open another can of alien whoop ass.

Maybe you are right, what if those are the level names?

343GS- Perhaps 343 Guilty Spark isn't dead, or he sent a final transmission or something to the Mediciant Bias.

Halo4 - could be suggesting that the fourth Halo ring is near or acts as a moon to Sigma 6. After all the first the chief landed on was also close to a planet, like a moon.

Spark- Maybe the Master Chief encounters Guilty Spark

Flood - The flood get on this ring world.

Earth - Maybe finds the chief (Members of ONI) and launch a rescue mission, leaving Earth wide open for an attack.

Demon - Master chief is called in Halo 2 "Demon"

Rings - MC finds location to other (6?) rings.

Array - MC finds a second "Ark" that houses the Halo Array.

Human - Humans arrive to the world, sepperated by factions (Innies vs UNSC?)

Haven - MC finds resting place of Forerunners and discovers that it is a safe haven for them to survive in.

ZingZitang
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
As always Dark - you're theories are So Strangely similar to mine, yet also bring new thoughts at the same time. I'm intrigued by this next Guy's ideas as well.

Maybe you are right, what if those are the level names?

343GS- Perhaps 343 Guilty Spark isn't dead, or he sent a final transmission or something to the Mediciant Bias.We now Know this From Primordium. 343 Guilty Spark is Alive.

Halo4 - could be suggesting that the fourth Halo ring is near or acts as a moon to Sigma 6. After all the first the chief landed on was also close to a planet, like a moon.Installation 04 was Guilty Sparks Halo, and as we know - it was Destroyed - Twice.

Spark- Maybe the Master Chief encounters Guilty SparkThis is Very Possible considering the Events of Primordium

Flood - The flood get on this ring world.
I would bet that we learn more about the Flood, rather than them appearing.

Earth - Maybe finds the chief (Members of ONI) and launch a rescue mission, leaving Earth wide open for an attack.Or maybe some major Revelation about our beloved planet.

Demon - Master chief is called in Halo 2 "Demon"Some new Enemy perhaps?

Rings - MC finds location to other (6?) rings.We Already Know of Two Installations - 04, and 05 - 04 was destroyed. That leaves 5(Maybe) Halos still Undiscovered.

Array - MC finds a second "Ark" that houses the Halo Array.There is another Ark, but I'm not sure if "Array" would Refer to it.

Human - Humans arrive to the world, sepperated by factions (Innies vs UNSC?)Other than trying to steal something they think is important from the UNSC, I can't see any Rebels Making an Appearance in Halo 4, Shooting Humans just doesn't flow with the Games, books are another story.

Haven - MC finds resting place of Forerunners and discovers that it is a safe haven for them to survive in.This I could Agree with - Especially with the Events of Primordium. The Librarian is also still Alive, thus reinforcing the Possible Appearance of Guilty Spark - Considering he is Searching for Her.