PDA

View Full Version : "New" South Park Info

Grifter Reborn
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Highlights from the 12-page cover story in issue #225 of GameInformer:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/thq/southpark/cov_225_l.jpg

General Info:
Trey Parker & Matt Stone are writing the script and dialogue
Due to it's offensive, outrageous, and absurd content, Obsidian sent a company-wide email to determine which employees were willing to work on the project

Game Info:
South Park: The Game is a turn-based RPG that serves as equal parts tribute and parody to the pillars of the game
Players have control of a customizable avatar editor that far exceeds any online
Role-playing and fantasy are large components of the game, but your still a fourth grader in the modern world.
Your friendship status will be tracked via your smartphone in a "Facebook-like app"
"If you were to stumble into the room while someone was playing the game, nothing about the perspective would tip you off that it wasn't an episode of the show. Characters walk with the same herky-jerky style, and the environments come directly from 15 years of South Park Digital Studios assets."
Like the classic Final Fantasy encounters, battles are presented from a side view.
Obsidian doesn't want players to press a button and sit back to watch, so they've added dynamic camera angles at certain times, such as when your character stuns an enemy with Ro Sham Bo.
Similar to Final Fantasy VII's materia, your weapons can be augmented to grant various abilities. And yes, there will be summons too.
This marks the first time the creators had to figure out the layout for South Park, like "where's school in relation to Stan's house?"
There will be collectibles, such as Chinpokomon
The game will not require platforming and is utilizing the Dungeon Siege III engine

Story Info:
Game begins with the children of South Park deeply involved in live-action role-playing
Players will assume the role of "new kid that's moved to South Park"
Parker: "It's about working through the game to the point where you're going from this little douchebag that no one cares about to standing there with the four boys at the bus stop."
When you meet Cartman early in the game, you will choose your class.
Standard class options include wizard, paladin, adventurer and rogue. The fifth unconventional class is "obviously one of Cartman's own creations."
It's important that the comedy and story fit together well, like in Portal 2
ESRB will be expected to have a "conversation" with Parker which he's said "We've come up against worse."

Nero x360a & ps3t
12-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Nice! Wanna see a trailer =x

dwayne_hicks
12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I still can't believe those guys never even had a crude layout of the town.

Anyway, I'm very very intrigued. This should blow the N64 game out of the water lol

hydrosugar
12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
"Due to it's offensive, outrageous, and absurd content, Obsidian sent a company-wide email to determine which employees were willing to work on the project"

This makes the game sound awesome. However I just hope it doesn't get banned here like everything else that isn't rainbows and gumdrops. :(

Grifter Reborn
12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I still can't believe those guys never even had a crude layout of the town.

Anyway, I'm very very intrigued. This should blow the N64 game out of the water lol

Agree completely.

"Due to it's offensive, outrageous, and absurd content, Obsidian sent a company-wide email to determine which employees were willing to work on the project"

This makes the game sound awesome. However I just hope it doesn't get banned here like everything else that isn't rainbows and gumdrops. :(

Agree again. :p

My big thing is a turn-based RPG. Those are always appealing to me for some reason. I'm curious to see what Cartman's special class is. Speculation?

DOOKH8R
12-21-2011, 02:51 AM
I am still not understanding how the game will work as turn-based.

Grifter Reborn
12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I am still not understanding how the game will work as turn-based.

Someone will probably explain (and correct my mistakes) better than me, but did you ever play any of the original Final Fantasy games? During fight sequences, your party members will be on the left side of the screen facing the enemies on the right side of the screen. During the fight, your opportunity to make a "move" (attack, magic, item, etc) will happen in order. For example, let's say your party consists of your character and Kenny, and you run into 2 enemies. Your character starts the fight based on what you decide. You choose "attack enemy #1". Once the damage is dealt, next is Kenny. He attacks enemy #1 and kills it off. Now it's enemy #2's turn (since #1 is dead) and he attacks you. It's your turn again, so you heal yourself and then Kenny goes and attacks again. Enemy chooses to attack Kenny and then you attack the enemy to finish it off. All sequences were in turn, hence "turn based"

In hindsight, maybe I'll look for a vid to show it better, since that's a pain to read. :p

EDIT: This video is a parody, but it kinda proves my point. Party members are on the right side of the screen and the turns are party member/boss instead of the example I gave of all party/then enemies.

"Firewall" - SNES Style FF4 'Evil Wall Battle' Parody - YouTube

DOOKH8R
12-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Oh. Well maybe they'll change their minds and make it hack and slash.

Matt36
01-03-2012, 07:41 AM

Skyrim style? Or FF12 style? I'm intrigued by the RPG elements in the South Park world!

Saddam as the final main quest boss anyone?

McGoogles
01-03-2012, 09:03 AM

No. Crab people.

Matt36
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Woodland Creatures >

Grifter Reborn
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Possible, but I doubt they'd change it up at this point in the development. Gamestop (unreliable source) is showing release date for 12/31/12. So who knows for sure.

No. Crab people.

Woodland Creatures >

I'm thinking old school RPG, so I'm going "Big" boss battle or "highly developed/well known" boss fight. So for "big" I'm saying the creature from the Coon and friends episodes. (forgot the name) Otherwise, Cartman. 'Cause who doesn't wanna punch Cartman in the face?

hydrosugar
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking old school RPG, so I'm going "Big" boss battle or "highly developed/well known" boss fight. So for "big" I'm saying the creature from the Coon and friends episodes. (forgot the name) Otherwise, Cartman. 'Cause who doesn't wanna punch Cartman in the face?

Lololol wasn't that Cthulhu XD

Grifter Reborn
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Lololol wasn't that Cthulhu XD

Yep, that's the one!

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/season_14/sp_1412_clip11.jpg

Matt36
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Manbearpig!

Grifter Reborn
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Manbearpig!

He's definitely in it, since he's on the GameInformer cover. Definitely a boss, IMO, but not the final boss, again IMO.

I'm still curious to see the 5th class. SuperHero comes to mind, but it's not an "obvious Cartman creation."

Matt36
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Ninjas? Loved that episode :D

WartyHogger
01-04-2012, 04:15 AM

I wouldn't mind the Skyrim style, it sure does make things faster and bosses feel more epic when you can move all around them, instead of just taking turns taking and giving hits. But I am willing to give it a shot, I'm a gamer ya know. I enjoy all types of games, and what they're brewing up, it seems like this will be a game I'll buy, it seems pretty unique.

StolenPaper18
01-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Hoping for this.

(Not a fan of turn-based.)

Matt36
01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Will you be using character(s) from South Park or creating your own?

Grifter Reborn
01-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Will you be using character(s) from South Park or creating your own?

Your main character (that you control 100% of the game) is a character you create. You will have various South Park kids as party members throughout the game.

Matt36
01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Haha! Yes! Even better! :D

Grifter Reborn
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Here's some screenshots:

http://www.egmnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/south-park.jpg

http://videogames.gameguidedog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/south_park_the_game-14.jpg

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SouthPark_Jan-1-2012_02.jpg

http://sticktwiddlers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/southparkthegame3.jpg

Matt36
01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I want some in game stuff :( But I like the feel these pics are giving, great post! :D

Grifter Reborn
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I want some in game stuff :( But I like the feel these pics are giving, great post! :D

Those are all current in-game fighting screenshots. I don't think they've added in the HUD, yet. Here's an "exploring the town" screenshot:

http://videogamewriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/south-park-08.jpg

Matt36
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Still doesn't feel very 'video game like'. More like screenshot from the TV show. Hope the game is similar in look :)

Grifter Reborn
01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Still doesn't feel very 'video game like'. More like screenshot from the TV show. Hope the game is similar in look :)

It's part of their selling point, it's supposed to look like and feel like the show.

"If you were to stumble into the room while someone was playing the game, nothing about the perspective would tip you off that it wasn't an episode of the show. Characters walk with the same herky-jerky style, and the environments come directly from 15 years of South Park Digital Studios assets."

Matt36
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
It keeps getting better :D Definitely one of my most looked forward to games on 2012 now!

niko da bos
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
loving this game, read all of this when i got that issue of "game informer."

for those wondering about the RPG, they will not budge. in a interview they stated why and how much they enjoy RPG, and the turn-based strategy was something they wanted to put in there.

the good thing about this game is matt and trey are actually being directly involved in the production. unlike previous titles where they just added some humor and the game didnt end up in the direction they wanted.

after reading the whole article in Game Informer i was really excited. for those who arent sure on the whole "turn based RPG," you should consider giving it a chance if you are a big fan of the show. this will by far be the game that does south park the most justice.

Grifter Reborn
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
loving this game, read all of this when i got that issue of "game informer."

for those wondering about the RPG, they will not budge. in a interview they stated why and how much they enjoy RPG, and the turn-based strategy was something they wanted to put in there.

the good thing about this game is matt and trey are actually being directly involved in the production. unlike previous titles where they just added some humor and the game didnt end up in the direction they wanted.

after reading the whole article in Game Informer i was really excited. for those who arent sure on the whole "turn based RPG," you should consider giving it a chance if you are a big fan of the show. this will by far be the game that does south park the most justice.

Agree completely. I'm impatiently waiting for more details. 5th character class? Which characters will appear as summons? How many hours for story? Side quests? Well...you get the idea. :p

HugTheBear
01-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Kinda wish it was a hack and slash game. Still looking forward to it, just not a fan of turn based fighting.

Matt36
01-04-2012, 11:13 PM
It could be a sport game and still be class, look at the XBLA game!

TriRock
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
As both a RPG and South Park fan, I'm very excited about this! It has the potential to rival ME3 as RPG of the year.

Matt36
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves yet ;) It has potential, but would need to be something special to be up there with ME3. I've have hopes, don't get me wrong, but I want to see more before I agree. Especially something in game.

TriRock
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves yet ;) It has potential, but would need to be something special to be up there with ME3. I've have hopes, don't get me wrong, but I want to see more before I agree. Especially something in game.

Normally I'd agree, but all the info on ME3 is suggesting Bioware is trying to create a 'light' Gears type of shooter. And unlike most people, I've always enjoyed Obsidian's games, instead of focusing on real or perceived short comings. Hence, South Park the game has my full attention. :)

Matt36
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
It also has my full attention, but how can you say this will be up there with possibly the best RPG of the year, with so few details available?

TriRock
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I said it has the potential. And ME3 with it's multi-player content, arena-shooting (Pinnacle Station, anyone?) and stream-lining has to deliver as well.

Matt36
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
But we know so little about it? Seen pics that look like the TV show and know its going to be an RPG with a new character you control. That's it, really. Until more is known, I refuse to agree with such outlandish statements.

But I hope you're right ;)

JimCant
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Man I will be excited for this game. I hope it's awesome--o...

I am hoping for some crazy over the top Achievements for this game....

Matt36
02-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone read the preview in Gamesmaster magazine (UK) this month?

quidyg
03-31-2012, 11:58 PM
cant wait for this. love south park so this will be awesome

Standard class options include wizard, paladin, adventurer and rogue. The fifth unconventional class is "obviously one of Cartman's own creations."

i think i read some where the 5th class is jew lol

Matt36
04-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Yeah, I read that! So many jokes...

DOOKH8R
05-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Hope Stick of Truth is > Pick of Destiny

thebarnanimal0
06-18-2012, 12:06 AM
This game looks so sweet it hurts my teeth! I love how the trailer looks exactly like the show and the fact that it is a turn-based RPG makes me giddy with anticipation.

JimCant
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I know! It does look sweet...though I hope that the customization of your player isnt terrible and doesnt take forever to make...

kennyubasterd00
11-02-2012, 03:57 AM

I'm going with Jewwid (Druid). :p

W1tchHunter
11-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I really hope Darth Chef is in this haha, I have wanted them to do an episode about him for ages :P

SOOOOO looking forward to this game, South Park is my fave thing on TV :P

xxxTUCxxx
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Agree completely. I'm impatiently waiting for more details. 5th character class? Which characters will appear as summons? How many hours for story? Side quests? Well...you get the idea. :p
I think the 5 class might be ginger or jew as these are cartmans favourite to bully that my opinion. So looking forward to this game love the RPG style that coin into it as im a big fan of the early final fantasy games definitely coin to be my top game this year