PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer

Craphex
12-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Any ideas on what the multiplayer is gonna be like on Halo 4? Would it still use Reach like anniversary does, or a whole new one, meaning our reach stats won't carry over?
Wonder if they will still leave jetpack, sprint, etc in?

kaleido42
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Very little if anything has been announced, but if I have to take a guess...

Will it use Reach (for multiplayer)? I'm saying no. Anniversary was just a remake using the old engine. Similar to how ODST was originally just going to be an expansion and how it just reused the old Halo 3 engine. Halo 4 is an entirely new game in the franchise, and as far as I'm aware, they're doing a new engine for it. To reuse what will by then be an old and outdated engine for what is one of the most played parts of the franchise would be absolute suicide for a relatively new company.

As for the abilities (jetpack, sprint, etc.)? I'm guessing kind of. As you can see in the trailer, master chief seems to have some fancy new jetpack abilities built into his armor. As far as I could tell, it looked like it was actually built into his new armor rather than being a removable pack. Going on that, I'm going to guess that at least some of the old abilities will be more part of the core gameplay (basically almost always having/using the jetpack/something else as opposed to switching abilities around). I'm guessing that what I just stated will primarily focus on campaign but also carry over to multiplayer in some similar, but not exactly the same, way. So in short, I think the armor abilities will carry over in some way, but won't be exactly like we saw them in reach.

Other speculation? Halo 2 introduced playing as something other than spartan (elite) in both campaign and multiplayer. Halo 3 did the same thing (although it changed it up a bit for campaign). Halo Reach introduced Spartan vs Elite in multiplayer. Halo 4 I'm guessing they're going to introduce something entirely new to play as in either campaign or multiplayer (I'm leaning more towards multiplayer). Perhaps forerunner? Even better, the flood, perhaps in a firefight vs type mode?

All speculation of course, but I'm expecting to see at least a couple of things that I mentioned.

EDIT: Just realized the whole "jetpack" thing isn't really "a jetpack", none the less, I stick to my previous statement. I don't see them throwing that in the trailer and us never being able to use it. I also still believe that they'll keep the armor abilities, but I also think they're going to change them up in one way or another.

MixMaker1
12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
AA's - by canon - died with Reach.

kaleido42
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
AA's - by canon - died with Reach.

Dang, never realized they had any strong tie to the story, just always assumed there were none lying around wherever chief went :p

Ty-Rex
12-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Even better, the flood, perhaps in a firefight vs type mode?
Something akin to Beast Mode from Gears 3 would suit this perfectly. I absolutely loved how Epic handled Beast Mode, and I feel like the different flood forms could give it a new flavor of it's own.

It would be cool if you could play as a one of the infection forms and reanimate an enemies dead body.

kaleido42
12-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Something akin to Beast Mode from Gears 3 would suit this perfectly. I absolutely loved how Epic handled Beast Mode, and I feel like the different flood forms could give it a new flavor of it's own.

It would be cool if you could play as a one of the infection forms and reanimate an enemies dead body.

Exactly what I was thinking, I think, haven't played Gears 3 but I was kind of basing it off of how you could play as an Elite in Reach's firefight. From what I know though, Gears 3 would probably be the better comparison. I was originally thinking flood vs spartans like how reach added elite vs spartans, but it would kind of suck if it started out as 5 infection forms vs 5 spartans :p. I think the coolest thing would be the ability to switch between the 3 pure forms. Unless the ground was littered with corpses from the beginning, the balancing would definitely be tricky to work out...

Ty-Rex
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Unless the ground was littered with corpses from the beginning, the balancing would definitely be tricky to work out...
Well it could just use a tiering system like Gears. Each form costs a certain amount of money/points, and you unlock stronger forms as you go along. It could copy the wave format having lower waves be only marines, then as they go along, it would incorporate ODSTs, Spartans, vehicles and maybe a sentinel wave also.

As for the infection forms being weak, they would be pretty useless offensively, especially against spartans since they can't kill them with their shields up, and have little health, but if you or your teammates happened to kill someone earlier and you can make it to their body, you'll reanimate them with the weapon they had and their normal health. They would be a tier one choice that doesn't cost much. I'd imagine it would be hard to get to a body, but if you did, say, reach a Spartan, you would be pretty damn formidable.

(Any forms you infect yourself wouldn't have the bad aiming reticules that the pre-infected forms you can spawn as would.)

As for other tier one enemies, you could have carrier forms do decent damage with their explosion and all the little infection forms would then attack the nearest enemy by jumping into them and exploding (they wouldn't reanimate anything they killed). You could have combat forms that have medium health and an assault rifle with a really large aiming reticule that makes the bullets spread a lot since they only use one arm to shoot. Then you can make a combat form with no gun that only uses melee, but has more health than the gun wielding forms.

After that making the other tiers wouldn't be too hard. Bringing in some of the previously cut forms like the juggernaut or infector spawns could be pretty awesome too. I'm sure 343 will be making their own new form(s), and they could figure out where to put them.

That was all pretty fun to think up!

kaleido42
12-10-2011, 02:55 AM
As for the infection forms being weak, they would be pretty useless offensively, especially against spartans since they can't kill them with their shields up, and have little health, but if you or your teammates happened to kill someone earlier and you can make it to their body, you'll reanimate them with the weapon they had and their normal health. They would be a tier one choice that doesn't cost much. I'd imagine it would be hard to get to a body, but if you did, say, reach a Spartan, you would be pretty damn formidable.

Ya, the main thing I was thinking was that at the beginning trying to kill even a marine with an infection form could be pretty hard. Although it would be transitioning quite a bit from traditional halo gameplay, one thing you could do is have each player initially spawn with a decent size "group" of infection forms and instead of controlling just one, you could control the whole pack. If you manage to infect anything then you switch to controlling just the one. It would also be a little more realistic to the story considering you almost always see the infection forms in groups.

Ty-Rex
12-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Ya, the main thing I was thinking was that at the beginning trying to kill even a marine with an infection form could be pretty hard. Although it would be transitioning quite a bit from traditional halo gameplay, one thing you could do is have each player initially spawn with a decent size "group" of infection forms and instead of controlling just one, you could control the whole pack. If you manage to infect anything then you switch to controlling just the one. It would also be a little more realistic to the story considering you almost always see the infection forms in groups.
I think you would understand it's use a bit more if you played Beast Mode a few times. You wouldn't use the infection form as your first choice, you would pick a combat form and try to kill and enemy or two first. Then when you die as the combat form, you have bodies to infect if you choose to spawn as the infection form.

The goal isn't ever to kill an enemy as a basic infection form.

MixMaker1
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Dang, never realized they had any strong tie to the story, just always assumed there were none lying around wherever chief went :p
Yeah some info right here :)

In canon terms, the Armor Abilities have only been seen in use during the Fall of Reach, due to the fact they were introduced in Halo: Reach as a gameplay element. As Reach was the UNSC's primary military complex, prototype technologies such as Armor Abilities may have been developed and tested exclusively on the planet, thus explaining their absence in the other games. In addition, other Halo games occur in the time period after Reach falls, having John-117 as the only Spartan working alongside regular UNSC forces with limited military assets due to the Fall of Reach. Halo: Reach is centered around a Spartan team on a UNSC fortress world, with support and equipment more readily available. The ability to lock the MJOLNIR armour is demonstrated in Halo 3, however, as John-117's armour automatically locks itself to enable him to survive the fall from the Forerunner Keyship at the start of Halo 3.

Because Reach was the center for all UNSC operations, a lot of that stuff was experimental as well so when Reach fell, a lot of it was lost.

fax5jrj
12-20-2011, 03:19 AM
This may be the Battlefield inside me, but for a game that has a huge focus on multiplayer, I think 16 players was quite small if you ask me. Make bigger maps, like forge world, and have one playlist with 32 players on the maps that are big enough, coming with fan-made map variants. I'd love that.