PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

The Bum-Mobile
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
With the new VGAs trailer generating some controversy I thought I'd throw my two cents into the hat. Just to establish, I LOVE Metal Gear. Something about the maturity of the narrative and the characters is just incredible. Though I am also a big fan of spin-offs. Sometimes an older series can benefit from one, though of course they'd have to have SOME similarities to the original series.

So with Rising, I was expecting a game where you, as Raiden, would be jumping and dodging from rooftop to rooftop, stealthily elminiating guards. As it has been made clear in the trailer... The game looks like Devil May Cry. Raiden was taking on some fucking MG Rays like it's all good. Now, mind you MGS4 is the only MG game I haven't played, so I don't know Raiden's new capabilities. Nonetheless, it's just silly. Slicing up an enemy so fast, it struck me as a typical Japanese video game. Which isn't bad, but MG has established itself as a serious series. Rooted in fact, it deals with some heavy stuff. I feel like it's been made into an anime.

On the flip side of my argument, we have only seen a few minutes of the new direction. It could be seen as finally playing as one of Metal Gear's crazy boss characters. We've seen some characters do some crazy shit in the games, maybe now it's our turn.

I don't know, just trying to see it from all angles. Also, the name is stupid.

And I think I already know, but I wonder if you can finish the game completely non-lethally. Being forced to kill would be the final nail in the coffin for me. I mean, I'm definitely going to get it. Huge fan of Platinum Games and Metal Gear, but will they mix well?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/13/hideo-kojima-gets-his-revengeance-with-metal-gear-rising/
Just read that article, and it gave me a new perspective on the game. Not gonna say I fully endorse it now, but I am more accepting.

Kaiyo
12-13-2011, 02:57 AM
The title changed. I had expected a fast pace sort of game with stealthy parts.

shavron
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
This is almost exactly my feelings on the subject. I'm not dismissing the game yet. I mean, everyone keeps comparing the game to Devil May Cry, and Devil May Cry is an awesome game. It's just not Metal Gear. We'll see.

Matt36
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm excited about the step in the other direction, not a fan of stealth, its why i never really hit it off with the series in the past. Odd I know, considering the MGS is 90% stealth.

I CR0W I
12-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I love MGS and I never kill anyone in any of the games...unless you count pulling the trigger on The Boss :( No Alerts, Euro Extreme...all that jazz. I love stealth games...

But you guys are looking at this game in completely te wrong way. This is about Raiden, not Snake. Have you played MGS4? Raiden appears out of nowhere and just fucks things up, he isn't stealthy or anything. He takes down those giant gecko things like that guy out of Vanquish takes down the Argus robots. That's probably why they got Platinum Games to make it, they make exceptional action games.

If you want more "Tactical Espionage Action" I'm afraid you won't find any here. The new Hitman looks promising though.

If you want a solid, balls to the wall action game then get MGRising.

The Bum-Mobile
12-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Well if you read my post you'd know 4 is the only Metal Gear I haven't played.

But yeah, I figure Raiden fucks shit up in 4. But the point is, shit happens in all the Metal Gear games. Crazy stuff just happens in the Metal Gear games, and that's cool, but the point is, it still is a Metal Gear game, and some form of "Tactical Espionage Action" is to be expected. I'm not the only Metal Gear fan who doesn't want a solid action game. We want a Metal Gear game.

That being said, as I also said in my post, I do see it in a different light. However the game shouldn't even exist in the series in the first place. Trust me, I'm always the one defending an innovation or spin-off in a beloved series, but this is the first I believe does not belong.

Matt36
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
If I can run around chopping people up with a sword, then fight a Metal Gear in ICO style, I'll be happy :P