PDA

View Full Version : Beta Review

Verdinial
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
So, unless you were under a rock, or you just had no intention of getting easy access to the Gotham City Imposters Beta, you would know that it all ends on the 20th. This will be a short review, based on my opinion and my opinion alone, if you don't agree, you don't agree.

Also, please note I know this is a beta, and so it will contain a list of things I found good, and what needs fixing/improving. Sit back, relax and enjoy the read.

- ALSO, BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, IF YOU WANT TO GET A BETA CODE, GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POST -

Now, the game it self is unique, it's fun and it brings something entirely new to the table. It is quirky, and irresistibly addicting. The game has aspects which will satisfy a wide range of gamers. It takes a while to get used to the game, and you need to ease into it, and find out what guns you like, and what the best way to use those guns is, (close range, long rage or mid-range etc) like any game. The game has an aspect of Brink, whereas you choose a build for your character, the game has a total of 5 builds, revolving around Big, Medium and Small. Small characters have the lowest health, whilst big characters have the biggest health, small characters can't move fast with big guns but they move the fastest, whilst the big guys can move faster with big guns than the small build, but will move the slowest with small to medium sized guns. Medium guys are like the class for anyone in between. The two others are a female, and a medium-big guy, but smaller than the biggest guy.

One thing I really liked was the variety, you can tell the creators really tried to make this game stand out. It has an incredible, staggering amount of cool items, from bear traps all the way to the grappling gun, these items help spice the game up, and keep it all fun and gripping.

The game is slightly reminiscent of Bloody Good Time, as it has the aspect of fun, and over the top equipment/weaponry, however this game goes above and beyond, it offers more game modes, more customisation, more weapons, more equipment, more players, more maps and even more insults :P

My only negatives with this game is the lag, some guns need some power adjusting and the customisation isn't as varied as I would like it to be. All of which, will probably be fixed come release.

Overall rating - The game is a nice change of pace to all of your other FPS games on the market, it can be a little frustrating when you get frozen, or blown away by a rocket for the third time in a row, but all of these deaths can be avoided, and will have you chuckling and looking back and thinking about it. I have high hopes that this game will remain on the radar for a very long time, and live a long life for the arcade title it is. And the items you work towards make it double as entertaining and time wasting.

How to get a code.
Follow this link, right here (http://uk.gamespot.com/event/codes/gotham-city-impostors-xbox/?tag=gumballs%3Bimg%3B3), and you will be taken to Gamespot. It took me around 2 minutes, from logging in to getting my code. There is a slim chance there are any codes remaining, but it's worth a shot.

tkhbecker
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
So, unless you were under a rock, or you just had no intention of getting easy access to the Gotham City Imposters Beta, you would know that it all ends on the 20th.Well the CLOSED BETA ends Dec 20th.

The Official WIB BETA hasnt been announced yet. So IF you have a BatMan AC BETA code signed up at the Official website you're still in luck for the open BETA.

As for the rest of your review I agree... Only thing I didnt like was the level cap of 25 with a possible of 1000 in release.

Verdinial
12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
A possible of 1000? Jesus that is a lot lol

tkhbecker
12-19-2011, 01:33 PM
A possible of 1000? Jesus that is a lot lolI downloaded it the 15th appx 1300 and played an hour or so when I got home that night. Then on the 16th I maxed level 25 under 3 hours of play time. Every game after that it would tell me something to the effect of "Where's the fire blah blah blah youve reached the BETA level cap blah blah blay 1000 levels in release"...lol

13ip0lar
01-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Game is alright. I may buy it. It's what you would expect though, fun at the start then you run into high levels who know what bullshit works and what doesn't then you are swearing at the screen. Atm I'm using a gun that practically one shots everyone. So I mean it's nothing special, but not terrible either. Definitely recommend you try it if you can.

Turlis12
01-27-2012, 04:36 AM
I usually suck at shooters but I was very impressed with this game. It is kind of frustrating when facing higher level people but once I hit level 8 or 9, things became better for me. So long dungeon defenders and HELLO Gotham City Imposters!

**Side note: I hope this game sets some decent support also**

MoldyClay87
01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I have to ask (not sure if mentioned elsewhere), what actually happens once the beta ends? Does the game just stop working? Or can you still play it, but the game's like "YOU CAN'T UNLOCK ACHIEVEMENTS OR LEVEL UP ANY HIGHER, BUY THE REAL GAME"?

ofay
01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Am I doing something wrong or can you not pick up more ammo or killed players guns?

Also what are the random green boxes I see around the map?

13ip0lar
01-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I have to ask (not sure if mentioned elsewhere), what actually happens once the beta ends? Does the game just stop working? Or can you still play it, but the game's like "YOU CAN'T UNLOCK ACHIEVEMENTS OR LEVEL UP ANY HIGHER, BUY THE REAL GAME"?

Likely you will have to re-dl the client if and when it goes live, but even if you could keep it on your HD it's a MP game. So what would be the advantage or point? Also you can't see cheebs, and the cap level is 25.

Am I doing something wrong or can you not pick up more ammo or killed players guns? Also what are the random green boxes I see around the map?

Green boxes give you health and ammo, when you spawn you don't have max ammo, so you can stock up before hand too.

shinobigarth
01-27-2012, 11:22 PM
im really liking it so far. i do surprisingly well considering im usually not great at online FPS's. but i can last longer in fights because on my character i gave him extra armor and perks that give him close to 300 health on the fat character (not Mighty), meaning im about as tough as a base Mighty but not as slow. though im using the M4 based rifle and it only has 20 rounds so i need a better gun. i usually get around 15 kills a game. its all about finding the right combo that you can work with the best.

right now the game freezes a TON and randomly d/c's from the server which is a pain. hopefully that'll be fixed, if so i'll buy it.

ofay
01-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Played it some more, not really feeling the huge variance in player health. Finding the domination style game play scoring kinda odd, can't figure out how you really win a game. Haven't tried the other mode yet but the game is fun

HelluvaON360
01-28-2012, 09:36 AM
This game reminds me shadowrun, with some cod elements. Im lovin' it.

MoldyClay87
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Likely you will have to re-dl the client if and when it goes live, but even if you could keep it on your HD it's a MP game. So what would be the advantage or point? Also you can't see cheebs, and the cap level is 25.

I understand that, I just wondered if it would still work.

I like the game, but not enough to spend $15 on it (especially with the other stuff coming out in February). Even moreso since it is a multiplayer-centric game (I spend way more time on single player titles, or local co-op, than online MP). I'd definitely consider it at a cheaper price, though.

Having said that, if the beta still worked, and you could still play online, that's basically a free "lite" version of the game (although, maybe the demo will be the same). Level cap is the only real downfall.

Phat Chimpanzee
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I really liked the beta, will probably pick this up. Only thing I hated was waiting over 10 minutes to get into a game.

ofay
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM

I like the game, but not enough to spend $15 on it (especially with the other stuff coming out in February). Even moreso since it is a multiplayer-centric game (I spend way more time on single player titles, or local co-op, than online MP). I'd definitely consider it at a cheaper price, though.

Having said that, if the beta still worked, and you could still play online, that's basically a free "lite" version of the game (although, maybe the demo will be the same). Level cap is the only real downfall.
I would assume they will put something in place to make the beta either obsolete or have a timer

But I hope I won't have to dl the 1.75 gb file again

Joker0fLife
02-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Assuming it works like all the other Betas I've played, it brings you up a message that tells you something along the lines

"The Beta has ended.

Thank you for your participation in our Beta. We will be taking your feedback from the game to make it that much better. Look forward to the full release blah blah blah" Then you dashboard.

But I hope I won't have to dl the 1.75 gb file again

You would most likely have too since the Full Game would be running on a different version with different mechanics and what not.