PDA

View Full Version : Demo out today!

BladeStrike
08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
finally the stanglehold demo is out today,

Content: Stranglehold Demo (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/j/johnwoopresentsstranglehold/)
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Germany
Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD,DRUG REFERENCE,INTENSE VIOLENCE] Play as Inspector Tequila in this single-player demo and engage in cinematic firefights, inspired by John Woo, blasting your way through a fully destructible Hong Kong marketplace.
Size: 1.28 GB

(majornelson)

took a while to download but it was well worth it, great gameplay and intense action
cant wait for the real game to come out

desai100
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
also plyed this and thought it was brilliant
its going to be the best game this summer

J Lo
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Already beat the demo. The gameplay and stuff you can do in that game is absolutely stunning beyond belief. I will definitely be getting this game someday, but not at the release (no money.) :(

vom_g
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
cool game but it freezing on me:uzi:

Vampire x360a
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Already beat the demo. The gameplay and stuff you can do in that game is absolutely stunning beyond belief. I will definitely be getting this game someday, but not at the release (no money.) :(exactly right this is prob the best game i have ever played i wa so upset when the demo ended, it is stunin

deej brutal
08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
i loved the demo and i cant wait to pick this game up, i kept sliding on that little table over and over haha

italianstallion
08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
You guys make this game sound pretty cool. Ill just wait until it comes out, since I know ill play it no matter what.

Webb
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh it is cool. I wasn't a fan before but after playing the demo, I'll be picking it up for sure. Very fun game. Plenty of action to sink your teeth in to ;)

snafegeeza
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Best demo, ive ever played.

Stunning game.

Lunacy182
08-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Great demo. Can't wait for the game to be released.
But does anyone else think his butt is just a little to greasy. I mean, thats a lot of sliding going on.

veritas347
08-09-2007, 05:21 AM
i loved the demo and i have a feeling the game is going to be awesome but they could maybe settle down wih all the sliding over grocery stands

patches4711
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
The demo was awesome but ended very quickly I cant wait to get this game. Kind of reminds me of Max Payne with the Bullet-Time that was one of my all time favorites

Vampire x360a
08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
i loved the demo and i have a feeling the game is going to be awesome but they could maybe settle down wih all the sliding over grocery stands
yeh it got annoyin how he always slid other like EVERYTHING,. anyone else find this ??

W. Samuel Jones III
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
cool game but it freezing on me:uzi:

There was a sound (no voice over) glitch on a cut scene but other than that the DEMO ROCKED!!!

I am looking forward to this game when it ships on the 21st.

SegaSaturnSNK
08-09-2007, 05:54 PM
It was like playing Max Payne except 100 times better than Max Payne can ever be. You guys make it sound like this game is god or something but it isn't. It was alright, I'll wait when the game goes to 30 bucks and all that.

Pyroman31
08-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Damn I guess I will download this when I get home from work. Sounds like it's a great demo.

W. Samuel Jones III
08-09-2007, 07:45 PM
It was like playing Max Payne except 100 times better than Max Payne can ever be. You guys make it sound like this game is god or something but it isn't. It was alright, I'll wait when the game goes to 30 bucks and all that.

Different people like different things.

If everyone was the same the world would be a boring place. This is a buy for me. I like Chow Yung and John Woo.

Anti HERO 574
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
roarrr!

why did my xbox have to break =(

Seddo
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I have just played the demo today and it is amazing, i'm loving diving everywhere and that precision aiming feature is wicked love shooting people in the eyes lol. Can't wait for the baby to come out.

BladeStrike
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
hopefully the achivements will rock aswell, making this game damn near perfect

Ghost x360a
08-10-2007, 02:47 AM
I wasnt really looking foward to this game until today. I thought the demo was great and the gameplay was amazing.

ac2565
08-10-2007, 02:55 AM
This game looks like a great single player. The tequila bombs (the powers attached to the d pads) are awesome. However I have only seen the first 3. Anybody see the spin attack in action?
As for the multiplayer from the video it looks as boring as hell.

That is an interaction. What do you want him to do if he runs into it? Just stand there?

Maka
08-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks otherwise?

I thought the game was cheesy. You'd constantly walk into tables, and automatically slide on them, the collision detection was bad, diving isnt fun nor useful. The aiming is ok, but seems to auto-aim whenever it feels like it, and often does weird things when popping from cover or walls. The weapons dont seem like anything coll or interesting, just your simple Pistols, and shotgun. The only power-up worth using is Yellow one (At the top) and Health if you count that. The other two are useless, because they take way to long to fill up, and arent that great themselves. The game also seems quite easy, as even "Hard-Boiled", I beat with 2 uses of a checkpoint (Died)...

This game just doesnt cut it for me... Seems like the game that I might rent, or borrow from a friend when they finish with it.

Dstrukt
08-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Maka,

I agree with you on all accounts. I don't think this game could really hold my attention for too long. Although everything looks great when you're fighting and I'll admit, fun to a certain degree, there is absolutely no AI and no real challenge, even on the hardest difficulty. The weapons all feel the same to me, the shotgun is just as powerful as the pistol. Heck, I shot an enemy in the leg twice and he collapsed dead on the ground. All in all, It kinda feels like i'm playing that carnival game where you shoot ducks moving across a conveyor belt...in a more flashier package. Sadly, it's all flash and no substance. :(

DeW222
08-10-2007, 05:24 AM
I thought the game was great for sheer entertainment. Great environments, great characters (don't fall in uncanny valley territory), and great effects. I think the story will be just as good as any Woo Hollywood action movie (which isn't a bad thing in my opinion) and the action was fun. If anyone thinks sliding over obstacles you run towards is obnoxious - you just have to be more mindful of where you go. It's a sensitive game, but if you're really creative and precise with controls it kicks everything up a notch. I also got the impression the demo level was the first level in the game, so I highly doubt it will challenge anyone. I don't think I'll buy it (short on cash, short on time, and there are so many games coming out soon), but I certainly look forward to playing it.

The weapons all feel the same to me, the shotgun is just as powerful as the pistol. Heck, I shot an enemy in the leg twice and he collapsed dead on the ground.

A shotgun will kill someone just as fast as a .45 cal bullet will in real life, video games placed an artificial power hierarchy on weapons that seems to have not only persisted - but become a norm. This game uses realistic gun settings (on enemies - not yourself), seen rarely in certain games such as rainbow six, opposed to the whole "10 bullets = 1 shell & 30 bullets are needed to kill" philosophy seen so much these days. The power isn't why you use the shotgun, it's for the spray to take out multiple enemies or to fire off with minimal accuracy and hitting the target. It's about knowing when to use which weapon, not just using the "best".

oneandonlytommo
08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
i havent got the demo as i havnt got live :( but from what ive seen on video and pictures it looks a good game i rekon il end up buying it when it comes out if i have any money by then :p

Dstrukt
08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I thought the game was great for sheer entertainment. Great environments, great characters (don't fall in uncanny valley territory), and great effects. I think the story will be just as good as any Woo Hollywood action movie (which isn't a bad thing in my opinion) and the action was fun. If anyone thinks sliding over obstacles you run towards is obnoxious - you just have to be more mindful of where you go. It's a sensitive game, but if you're really creative and precise with controls it kicks everything up a notch. I also got the impression the demo level was the first level in the game, so I highly doubt it will challenge anyone. I don't think I'll buy it (short on cash, short on time, and there are so many games coming out soon), but I certainly look forward to playing it.

A shotgun will kill someone just as fast as a .45 cal bullet will in real life, video games placed an artificial power hierarchy on weapons that seems to have not only persisted - but become a norm. This game uses realistic gun settings (on enemies - not yourself), seen rarely in certain games such as rainbow six, opposed to the whole "10 bullets = 1 shell & 30 bullets are needed to kill" philosophy seen so much these days. The power isn't why you use the shotgun, it's for the spray to take out multiple enemies or to fire off with minimal accuracy and hitting the target. It's about knowing when to use which weapon, not just using the "best".

Your point has merit. However, I highly doubt this game is going for a realistic approach. Furthermore, there is no advantage that I can tell between using the Spaz-12 or the dual pistols. As in, there is no "best" weapon because they are all the same. I can just as easily utilize the precision aim ability with the shotgun from 50 ft away as I can with the pistol. That isn't what I call realistic.

What I wouldn't give to have a smidge of enemy AI in this game.

SegaSaturnSNK
08-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Maka,

I agree with you on all accounts. I don't think this game could really hold my attention for too long. Although everything looks great when you're fighting and I'll admit, fun to a certain degree, there is absolutely no AI and no real challenge, even on the hardest difficulty. The weapons all feel the same to me, the shotgun is just as powerful as the pistol. Heck, I shot an enemy in the leg twice and he collapsed dead on the ground. All in all, It kinda feels like i'm playing that carnival game where you shoot ducks moving across a conveyor belt...in a more flashier package. Sadly, it's all flash and no substance. :(

That and you probably could finish the game in a day or two lol like many games out there now days.

DoM cAbAn
08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I might have to download this demo because everyone makes it sounds amazing.

PerpetualHeaven
08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
yeh it got annoyin how he always slid other like EVERYTHING,. anyone else find this ??

It's a John Woo game and it's Chow Yun Fat. Put that together and you want to slide everywhere. I personally think it's cool. I really really enjoyed the game. Being a gignantic fan of John Woo and martial arts movie altogether (especially Chow Yun Fat), I have to say this game is very satisfying. I may wait for the reviews first though to see the length of the game. I personally don't want to play on Live, so if it's a long offline, I'll buy it.

DeW222
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I can just as easily utilize the precision aim ability with the shotgun from 50 ft away as I can with the pistol. That isn't what I call realistic.

What I wouldn't give to have a smidge of enemy AI in this game.

The enemy AI is weak in the demo, and I have no idea if it gets any better. I'm hoping the reason it's so poor is that the demo is the first level in the game.

And the precision aim tequila bomb automatically takes out a pistol to use with it, it doesn't use any other weapon than the pistol (be it SPAS-12, M4, etc.)

W. Samuel Jones III
08-10-2007, 06:28 PM
This game looks like a great single player. The tequila bombs (the powers attached to the d pads) are awesome. However I have only seen the first 3. Anybody see the spin attack in action?
As for the multiplayer from the video it looks as boring as hell.

That is an interaction. What do you want him to do if he runs into it? Just stand there?

Yeah you keep unlocking the DPAD powers you just need to complete the game demo 4 times.

Fenrir767
08-12-2007, 01:04 PM
On and about completing the demo the information doesn't save meaning that you have to beat it well 3 times consecutively to try out all of the powers there damn fun though I can't wait for this game.

Vista
08-12-2007, 09:55 PM
THIS GAME IS INSANE. Ever since it was announced I have been wanting this, the demo is out and I am psyched!!! Release date can't come soon enough!!!

antilucid
08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I enjoyed the demo though it did seem quite easy. I did not mind the lack of real AI though. I was in a mood to just run around and blow away people without much effort and that is what I got. I certainly got my share of fun out of the demo. Worth buying? That remains to be seen but worth a rental? Certainly! If anything. it would be fun to play all the way through once and pick up some achievements along the way.

PerpetualHeaven
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I enjoyed the demo though it did seem quite easy. I did not mind the lack of real AI though. I was in a mood to just run around and blow away people without much effort and that is what I got. I certainly got my share of fun out of the demo. Worth buying? That remains to be seen but worth a rental? Certainly! If anything. it would be fun to play all the way through once and pick up some achievements along the way.

Then again, the only two difficulties were casual and something else but of course in what game aren't those easy? I don't believe there was even the a hard mode in the game available to us.

RoT_xFaithx
08-24-2007, 11:06 PM
the demo was cool...precision shot to the balls was like WOAH...:eek:

Graham31004
08-25-2007, 03:57 AM
I won't be spending $60 on this. I'm going to wait a few months and snag it used. Wasn't impressed really. Maybe Bioshock has me spoiled now lol.

BLK DEM0N
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Demo was amazing i love all the slow mo parts and how u can get in and out of tequilla :p

robertfee
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
i actually didn't care about this game, but after playing the demo and finishing bioshock, this went to the top of my gamefly que

Fenrir767
08-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Ya I was pissed when I found out the game was delayed I am looking forward to giving this a go