PDA

View Full Version : Achievements: The Problem...

Webb
04-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I was just thinking to myself, that achievements can make half arsed game designers and developers even worse.

What will stop them churning out shit when people will continue to buy or even rent them for easy achievements. It may even make companies become lazy (not talking about the ones that give a crap (Rockstar and Bungie for example)!!

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Minty
04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
valid point

there are people on here that would play any game to get achievement points.

games that people know are crap like Kong, NBA live etc all get played for the 1000 points. people dont care what the games like, so why should the developers???

TimidKillah
04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow... never really thought of it like that, but I must confess that I'm guilty of that myself. I know that at least half the things I've played I never would have played if it were not for the achievements

Webb
04-17-2006, 09:48 PM
I think we are all guilty, lets just hope that they don't let this achievement thing take over from what should be truly next gen games!

DarkLif3
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Good points.

However, I thought Kong was a good game for a rental. :Bounce:

Webb
04-17-2006, 11:19 PM
I might have to try this Kong eventually to get my own opinion, lol

Lets just hope they make better games with the improved revenues and not just use it to fill their wallets!!!

SixtyeightState
04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
HEY! I liked King Kong, and NBA Live was good...NBA 2K6 was fun, but that's where I think everyone is actually playing the game for points. You have a good point with that theory though, maybe you should start one of those crazy online petition things.

Webb
04-18-2006, 06:30 AM
That was just a theory of mine, I think it's early days to start petition's and things like that. I reckon that most of the crap games so far were more of a rush job to get them out for the 360 release, or even close to it, while the market is quiet.

But that will probably be an option in the future. Lets hope the further we get in to the 360's life, the more time they spend on game design and creation.

Havoced
04-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I love achievements but you bring up a valid point.
For instance I contemplated renting one of the basketball games so I could get the achievements.
"No big deal." You might say, but I personally hate all sports games with the exception of extreme sports.
I decided to instead rent Condemned and I'm much happier than I'd ever be with a sports game.

Another problem I can see happening with Achievements is the Tony Hawk/GRAW problem.
I personally find it to be disheartening to find that you can unlock achievements while you have cheats on.
I think developers should make all achievements be unlockable without cheats.
That's my two cents.

SpideR NY
04-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I hear what you are saying, but I think achievement points are going to be less important to gamers when there are much more games available. I dont think you see quite as many people playing crappy games when they could be playing good ones. Even if they do I dont think you will see games get more crappy because of achievements. I think that games that are good that you might not have tried had it not been for achievements will benefit though. And King Kong sucked. Hard.

Webb
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I see your point, good games which attract a certain market might attract gamers who usually concentrate on other genres.

Hopefully it will work both ways.

graf1k
04-19-2006, 02:13 AM
They don't get my money if I rent the game. Sure, rental places wouldn't buy X amount of copies if there is less demand for a game, but honestly one person isn't going to change that. Plus, you can't say for sure a game is crap until you've played it. And gotten all it's achievements. *polishes 23,000 gamerscore*

Icehawk
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't see people buying flat out horrible games for easy achievements. I mean Kong and all the sports games aren't bad games at all. I do think Microsoft should clamp down and make it so the developers make it somewhat difficult to earn all the achievements. TS2 is an example of good achievements as they take effort to get, yet they aren't impossible. More games should be like that.

Minty
04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Top Spins were too easy in my eyes. could easily do it in one play through on career, which was a good 6 - 7 hours. then the exhibition matches should have been beat n hard and in a proper set match

and the online ones would be good if you didnt forfeit them, and doubled it p to 50 wins and 100 games, to make sure that only people that play the game properly get the points

Webb
04-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Minty, your obsessed with people playing the game properly ;)

:p

Minty
04-19-2006, 11:32 PM
lol, yeah but they are called achievement points for a reason. not just 'look at me, i rented the game' points.

people that have the game for weeks and get good at it deserve more points than people that play the game for a day imo

but who gives a rats ass at the end of the day :p

DJHUNTERD
04-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Lets just hope they make better games with the improved revenues and not just use it to fill their wallets!!!

I have a feeling this will happen for a while until the true "nextgen" game push occurs. My example is quite funny: Some guy says: I have a small pecker but a ton of money. Game developers say: I have xbox 1 graphics but easy gamerpoints...:p So until Gears of War or Halo 3 or whatever you are waiting for dont expect much until nearly the end of the console life. Look at the Xbox and the graphics that it pushed torward the end of its life because people knew how to work the hardware.:) Games like upcoming Prey are using Doom 3 engines etc.. We just have to wait it out....

... Im done rambling now...:p

Webb
04-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Funny ramblings :D

Still, some games are a step back from their predecessors.

Take Tiger Woods for example. It's better on the PS2 and XBox, i.e. has more stuff but only looks better on the 360!

Thats them filling their wallets!!!!!!! :mad:

DJHUNTERD
04-19-2006, 11:50 PM
:bow: true like Madden modes being forfeited... i agree but remember some of the titles were last minute rush jobs to get out for the new console so people could play that title on there shiny new system. People would have to wait for them to design a new updated system therefor taking longer to debute.;) Also remember, some lucky children might get this as their 1st console and have no idea of previous generations graphics either.:nana So us old hardcore fogies are like this is Bull$%@! and children are like this is awesome!!!!:p

Reapersoul
04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Very valid point.

In the future, no doubt most games will have insanely easy achievements in order to attract a wider audience....a bad thing ? Arguably. It does mean gamers with more money will get the highest gamerscore rather than gamers with skill - but at the same time it means we wont have to play through Tomb Raider 3 times to get all the achievements.

Its up to the consumer, obviously, not to stand for this - if I see any games blatantly doing this I will not buy the game. As it stands I buy games for the game anyway, rather than for the achievements. Its rentals where it will cause a larger problem. :(

Emerson
04-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I love Achievements, but I'd certainly never buy or rent a game just to get Achievements. I will borrow them from friends though.