PDA

View Full Version : Halo Bulletin (December 21st 2011)

LickableLemons7
12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Well, here we go again. More Halo 4 speculation.

For the link to the bulletin:
http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2011/12/22/The-Halo-Bulletin-122111-.aspx

And if you were too lazy to click that link, here is the opening statement provided by Bs Angel:

"If you were to sneak a peek into the Halo 4 oven, your willing eyes would instantly be tempted with numerous tantalizing treats. Then, as the mouthwatering aroma slowly enveloped you in its enticing embrace, your mouth would begin salivating, your stomach would growl with impatience, and your brain would melt into a pile of mush while you struggled with the decision of what to devour first.

While the timer continues to tick, our Forerunner feast is not yet ready. We will be giving you a taste before it’s finished, and several of them at that, but the associated dates loom in the distance. Thus, one of my New Year’s resolutions is to successfully sneak you the tiniest of tidbits from within the depths of our still sealed casket. Those morsels will not satiate your ravenous appetite. They will, however, whet it.

I’ll let you know when I figure out a way to get you this information without losing my job. Until then, consider it not here. Until it is here, that is. With that being said, let’s move on to something I can talk freely about. And guess what? I even have screenshots for this piece of news!"

So 343i begins discussing when they could release Halo 4 info...

I first caught a glimpse of the new bulletin in the vid below:

Halo 4 News - Halo 4 - Gameplay Leak? Upcoming Info? - FT. Chris - YouTube

Yeah, that kid again. But he's trustworthy. Unlike FOX news.

If you managed to get to 1:01 of that video, you caught a glimpse of what MAY appear to be a screenshot from Halo 4.

It looks like they are using the Reach engine for Halo 4, yet again, we have no idea what this may be. Thoughts? The symbol on the floor is very Forerunnerish.

Also seen in the bulletin were the announcement of a new Anniversary dashboard theme, out now for the standard 240msp, a discussion of ATLAS and the custom challenges feature to Waypoint, and a currently unknown January update for Reach.

CMCX360
12-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I hope they have a beta for this game, but it seems more unlikely as time goes on without one being announced.

LickableLemons7
12-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I never thought they would have a multiplayer beta for Halo 4...with how much 343 is doing trying to keep as much of the game as possible in the dark. I just want it all to be a surprise.

MixMaker1
12-27-2011, 04:52 AM
I don't think that image is real - nor is the cut scene he had a while ago in his videos.

Though, it would be insane if the ancient enemy WAS indeed humanity with evil powers or something - ha!

Humans vs. ancient humans would be an interesting sci-fi twist.

DarkReign2021
01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
If the screenshot there is real, than I would have to say it supports the half-life style of scripted cinematography. You remain in first person the entire time and the scripted events that would normally be done in a cutscene are being done in real-time game play. We saw a great example of this in Reach when Noble was attacked by the Zealots toward the end of the first level. The most recent example that did a good job with this was Battlefield 3. Door breaching, button pressing, entering vehicles, and even when you were downed on co-op were great examples of what Halo 4 could be aiming for.

I've always liked dynamic FPS games. Games were literally everything has an animation just stick out to me. Breakdown or the original Xbox had you fist fighting in 1st person and Mirrors Edge introduced Parkour. I want to see more stuff like that come into the Halo series personally.

LickableLemons7
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
If the screenshot there is real, than I would have to say it supports the half-life style of scripted cinematography. You remain in first person the entire time and the scripted events that would normally be done in a cutscene are being done in real-time game play. We saw a great example of this in Reach when Noble was attacked by the Zealots toward the end of the first level. The most recent example that did a good job with this was Battlefield 3. Door breaching, button pressing, entering vehicles, and even when you were downed on co-op were great examples of what Halo 4 could be aiming for.

I've always liked dynamic FPS games. Games were literally everything has an animation just stick out to me. Breakdown or the original Xbox had you fist fighting in 1st person and Mirrors Edge introduced Parkour. I want to see more stuff like that come into the Halo series personally.

I enjoy stuff like this, but I hate the way you are sometimes forced to consistently mash buttons in order to proceed, as in Battlefield 3's single player campaign. Reach's cutscenes, like the one you mentioned above, were rather enjoyable to watch, and I didn't have to press buttons to continue, but it didn't give me a sense of power or involvement like I had in Battlefield 3. If 343i could have moments like this that AREN'T necessarily "scripted" and that you could flashily engage an enemy like this at your own free will by knifing or meleeing via pressing the appropriate button without it appearing on a screen could be quite the game changer. What a run on sentence.

I haven't played games like Breakdown or Mirror's Edge, do they have scenes play out like that?

DarkReign2021
01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
mirrors edge and breakdown are less "flashy" than games like BF3 was. It was more about giving animation to the little things we've already done in fps before. When you check a body for ammo or health in breakdown, your guys hand reaches out takes something out of his pocket. Pressing a button, eating a burger, and buying a soda from the vending machine were also part of it. Plus Breakdown included a complex hand-to-hand combat system that implemented the use of both triggers and the left analog to perform one of 16 different attacks and you were even able to do back lips and evade rolls.

Mirrors edge was a lot the she way. Instead of just jumping you'd see her hands come out to push herself up various platforms. Grabbing weapons, pressing buttons, etc...

LickableLemons7
01-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I watched the prologue of Mirror's edge a a few minutes ago, and I see what you mean. Watching it makes me wish Halo 4 will have more parkour bling to it. But I don't think we can expect too much. What would happen? If Halo 4 remains faithful to the original trilogy gameplay, the most we'd see would be the Chief's hand(s) as he holds a gun. Even if 343i tried to add on more animations as seen in Mirror's Edge without changing the gameplay too much, the most we'd see would be Chief's hands as he clambers up some block like structure, or him bending down to pick up a different weapon, or bashing down a broken door.

bethelyoda
01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Halo 4 follower is an absolute idiot. He mentions that COD quote from Connor, and then says I don't really want to [talk] about it.

Just let the gift that 343 is trying to give you be a surprise. Stop peeling back a corner of the paper when your mom goes to the kitchen. There's absolutely no value in trying to speculate this stuff.

MixMaker1
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
DarkReign2021 and myself have some VERY cool Halo 4 videos coming. I think people will be educated on stuff they may or may not be aware of... Looking forward to working on our first one together.

LickableLemons7
01-06-2012, 01:15 AM
DarkReign2021 and myself have some VERY cool Halo 4 videos coming. I think people will be educated on stuff they may or may not be aware of... Looking forward to working on our first one together.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Will you be uploading these videos to your channel?

MixMaker1
01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Will you be uploading these videos to your channel?
Yup. Everything will be up on www.youtube.com/MixMaker117