PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning a Ripoff

v SnOwMaN v
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I hate to say it, but it seems like EA ripped Bethesda's Skyrim. Just my two cents.

Anyone else think these games seem similar, except for graphics wise.

Jaska95
01-18-2012, 09:39 PM
How it is a ripoff? It was not even close to Skyrim IMO .:confused:

Chaosx721
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Well one of the designers has worked on a few Elder Scrolls games so no doubt it has some things in common. But its most definitely not a ripoff. I think they're almost 2 completely different games. I would almost say its more of a "ripoff" of Fable game than an Elder Scrolls game, but even then it still has differences to it that make it a little more its own.

punker
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
If it's a ripoff, that's damn impressive that 38 Studios was able to put together this game that they just started developing on November 11th.

dragonpwnr99
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM
How? I just started the demo and it doesnt feel or seem like skyrim at all. Looks awesome though :)

The Pants Party
01-18-2012, 10:58 PM
I think you're using the idiotic logic that if a game is in the same genre it is a ripoff of the currently most popular game in that genre. The games are both Western-influenced Action RPGs. So, maybe 38 Studios thought, "Man, that Skyrim is going to be HUGE! We should totally make a game in that genre and release it shortly after to cash in on that fad."

Or, Curt Schilling is an RPG addict, spent his life savings from baseball to start a studio and create a game he was passionate about. One of us is probably right.

OceanH
01-19-2012, 04:38 AM
I hate to say it, but it seems like EA ripped Bethesda's Skyrim. Just my two cents.

Have you played Dragon Age? Feels more like Dragon Age than Skyrim. If it's a ripoff, then Call of Duty is a ripoff of Medal of Honor.

II Foxtrot II
01-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Well one of the designers has worked on a few Elder Scrolls games so no doubt it has some things in common. But its most definitely not a ripoff. I think they're almost 2 completely different games. I would almost say its more of a "ripoff" of Fable game than an Elder Scrolls game, but even then it still has differences to it that make it a little more its own.

I agree with Chaos on this one

darthroker29
01-19-2012, 04:49 AM
I dont feel like its a rip-off, but it seems heavily influenced by Fable as far as graphics and gameplay. And as far as the skill tree and xp it feels more like dragon age 2.

Blue Of Hearts
01-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Fable? Naw... More like WoW with hacking and slashing. I think this game is gonna be pretty darn good. Maybe not worth a 60 dollars, but probably 40.

Tyger7
01-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I will admit, there are a lot in common with Skyrim. Not the the look and feel, but certain scenarios. If you kill someone or do something wrong, a guard comes up to you. You can go to jail, resist arrest, or try to bribe him. If you resist, you get tons of guards attacking you.

Fast travel is very similar too. You can fast travel anywhere on the map you have already been to.

Besides that, it's not really a rip-off, I'd say just used other games as an inspiration. That's not really a bad thing. Though I can see what you mean when you say it's like Skyrim. Kind of a Skyrim/Fable game with some Wow/Everquest. Think they were just trying to stir a pot of good games together.

H2O
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM

:biglaugh

that is all.

Fang Foom
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Nothing like Skyrim..don't even get how anyone could think that.

I did think it was dangerously close to a Fable game.

Holding Y to shoot a bow.
Turning off safety to attack people
General look of towns etc

Still enjoyed it, but there's something putting me off gettin it. Think it's that I don't want to pay £40 for what doesn't feel like a new game..

Jimcp88
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

It is not even close to skyrim. If you only compare the combat system you see they are totaly diffirent. and that's just one of many imo

Matt36
01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Why are people still comparing this to Skyrim? =/ Its not even close! Its more Fable than anything! Deary me...

And how can you be ripped off by a free demo of a game that's not out out yet?

The Pants Party
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
And how can you be ripped off by a free demo of a game that's not out out yet?

He didn't mean he felt ripped off, he meant he thinks the game ripped off Skyrim's formula (aka "WTF SKYRIM CLONE").

Matt36
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
But you cant feel 'ripped off' without owning the product first. I just don't see how people can feel 'ripped off' by comparing this to Skyrim?

Its a mix of Kameo, Too Human & Fable for goodness sake.

cheevo360
01-19-2012, 01:53 PM
No it not. You are ripoff from undersea world lmao joke

This game very good but I got small problem in game demo that movement while run is somewhat lags and blocking a bit lags. Rest of everything else in game is cool and awesome.

Let hope devs fixes lags of movement while runs and blocking.

Look forward for full version release:woop:

Matt36
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Lag was one thing I DIDN'T experience! :o Though as I mentioned in my original post about the demo, there is a second after smashing X for a combo, that your character stands still and is very vulnerable.

k1ll1ng5pr33
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Are you serious? LOL.

Funny.. Skyrim has been in development for about 5 years? Amalur has been for 6 or so. Lol.

It may have some minor TeS influences, but that's because Ken Rolsten works at 38Studio's.. They've said themselves. They wanted to take the best part of many games and put it in 1.

Matt36
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
LOL no LOL im not kidding LOL.

What difference does the development time make?

The Pants Party
01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
But you cant feel 'ripped off' without owning the product first. I just don't see how people can feel 'ripped off' by comparing this to Skyrim?

Again, he is not saying HE feels ripped off in any way by the game/demo. He is saying he feels THE GAME ripped off Skyrim. As in, it is a copy of Skyrim.

Anyway, the demo doesn't offer half of what will set this game apart in the end. Especially considering the build of the game is rumored to be from shortly after E3 last year with minor tweaks thrown in and not a full representation of what will be in stores next month. I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. At least let's hope so, because this has looked nothing short of fantastic from every Dev Diary I've watched so far and the response until this demo has been nothing but positive.

But, let's be honest, they've admitted their influences up front:
"Hey, we're taking God of War and marrying it with Oblivion." - Curt Schilling

Graivul
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd say Lionhead Studios would have more to be pissed about than Bethesda, as it feel a hell of a lot like Fable. I don't think it can really be compared to Skyrim myself, it isn't even close.

I think the final release will hopefully show it has a lot more to offer and originality than how it initially feels in comparison to similar titles, we need to play my more KOA I think before we can really give a full opinion :)

DJLight890
01-21-2012, 10:57 PM
This game looks amazing IMO. I am looking forward to it and to be honest, who cares if it is similar to "Game X" or "Game Y". If you enjoy it, then play it. There will always be something that people will complain about because people don't know how to be happy. Just enjoy the game for what it is or take it back if things bother you too much. That is all =]

Slowhunt
01-22-2012, 01:08 AM
This game looks amazing IMO. I am looking forward to it and to be honest, who cares if it is similar to "Game X" or "Game Y". If you enjoy it, then play it. There will always be something that people will complain about because people don't know how to be happy. Just enjoy the game for what it is or take it back if things bother you too much. That is all =]

Isn't that the truth!

Damn near every game released has something in common with another game. I guess you either play the one RPG (or whatever genre) for the rest of your life or play games that are similar to each other.

Kraderic
01-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Damn near every game released has something in common with another game. I guess you either play the one RPG (or whatever genre) for the rest of your life or play games that are similar to each other.

The difference here is that the concepts taken from other franchises are implemented poorly into this game; the original games they were taken from performed well in those regards. I'll list some examples.

The user interface; or the inventory in particular. Honestly, it's a mess of lists that you need to navigate to find what you're looking for. It's difficult enough to get a summary of what's in your inventory and makes equipping new pieces of armor an utter pain in the ass with what the constant expanding and collapsing menus. Very counter-intuitive.

Dragon Age II and Skyrim had wonderful inventory user interfaces. KoA:R does not.

The dialog wheel (or sometimes lack there of). The demo starts off with the diaglog wheel, but after you initiate conversation, your list of responses are suddenly in a list. What? Why? And then randomly they're back in a dialog wheel. Inconsistency brews turmoil. And then there's the whole thing about your character not talking. One can argue that it will break immersion, but the game is already in 3rd person so giving your character a voice will do little to annoy you. But alas, this point is entirely subjective; having optional voice-acting would solve that dilemma quick.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Rise of the Argonauts has player voice-acting and a more user-friendly, consistent dialog system.

The animations. This guy can describe it better than I can.

Once you start a swing or a spell casting action, you are locked into seeing it through, no matter if you can already tell that the angry troll in front of you is going to crush you with his huge club well before you get a chance to finish your move.

This makes combat quite frustrating as you'll be trying to duck out of the way of incoming attacks only to find that you have to wait a crucial couple of seconds before you can get your dodge off.Skyrim, and a plethora of other RPG games excel in regards to animation. KoA:R left a lot to be desired.

The camera distance. It's horrendous. And this problem, coupled with the problem above, makes for a very unsatisfying experience, especially if you have enemies suddenly coming towards you from other directions within the limited view of your too-close camera-- most times you won't even have the chance to react because.. well, you guessed it, you'll most likely be locked in an animation.

Again, Skyrim, DA:O/II, and other RPG games make sure that you have a very fulfilling view of your surroundings when playing 3rd person. IIRC, the demo for Final Fantasy XIII-2 shares this problem with KoA:R.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other aspects of this game that was implemented worlds better in older games. In summary, this game is a jack of all trades, but a master in none.

Elgis
01-22-2012, 03:00 AM
This game is not even close to Skyrim, in concept or function. The game is more of an action game with RPG elements.

Paka
01-22-2012, 03:33 AM
From the demo, actually feels more like Dungeon Siege 3 than any other 360 game I've played. Has a bit of Fable's feel to it as well. Really doesn't feel much at all like Skyrim to me.

DJLight890
01-22-2012, 04:00 AM
I agree with the three posts above me. Some very valid points were made, especially by Kraderic. Personally, I wasn't bothered by most of these things, but that is just me. Now that you mention it, the dialogue wheel was confusing and the camera angle did get annoying. Maybe we can just keep voicing our opinions about the demo and the retail game and hopefully something will be done.

Vindicator51
01-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure if people were playing the same demo as me, but i had almost zero problems with the game. I have no regrets about pre-ordering it.

The only things was a minor graphical bug, and a camera issue zooming in while talking with someone. I just can't picture how people had problems with the combat, because i thoroughly enjoyed combos without problems.

ViRaLuNdEaD
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Finished the demo a few nights back. Kind of felt like Fable's ugly love child. Looking forward to seeing a more updated build, because I wasn't digging it at all in that state.

ghostx30
01-23-2012, 06:21 AM
There is no way in hell this is anywhere near a Skyrim rip-off! Now, had you said Dragon Age 2 meets Fable, then I could have seen where you were coming from. But nothing like Skyrim.

StyledBear
01-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Nothing like Skyrim..don't even get how anyone could think that.

I did think it was dangerously close to a Fable game.

Holding Y to shoot a bow.
Turning off safety to attack people
General look of towns etc

Still enjoyed it, but there's something putting me off gettin it. Think it's that I don't want to pay £40 for what doesn't feel like a new game..

completely agree. just felt like a cross between this and single player WoW to me.

£20 and maybe ill buy it (about $35)

CeeShadowZz
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I was disappointed to :'( lol

KuShNsTieN
01-24-2012, 02:52 AM
I thought this game was going to be boring.. come to find out this is a pretty fun game. I would most likely be picking this up whenever i can.. As for Skyrim ripoff, no its not like skyrim its more similar to Dragon age if anything. This game seems better then fable 3 imo

Elm
01-24-2012, 05:38 AM
The only similarity to Skyrim I saw was when you go into sneak mode there is an eye. As people have said it's more a mix of dragon age and fable which isn't bad. It was a fun demo.

ghostx30
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
The only similarity to Skyrim I saw was when you go into sneak mode there is an eye. As people have said it's more a mix of dragon age and fable which isn't bad. It was a fun demo.

Pretty much my assessment, as well.

Pyrochaos
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Dis gaem iz a ripof uv nenja guydin becuz u haz a swurd!!!!111oneone!!

Theslatcher
01-24-2012, 11:54 PM
So if you create an RPG then it's an rip off of a TES game? Ken Rolston was lead designer for Morrowind(and it's expansions) and Oblivion. Also, Big Huge Games worked on KoA when they were owned by THQ. Last time i checked, THQ and EA isn't the same publisher. Plus the game screams virtual world RPG instead of "Elder Scrolls" and you should know why.

widget624
01-25-2012, 12:24 AM

They also ripped the lockpicking straight out of Fall Out 3/Skyrim. Which I find disappointing. Not because it is ripped from those games but because with that mini-game the lockpicking skill isn't all that useful as you can unlock any chest without any points in the skill if you save first and just reload if you burn through to many lock picks for your liking and then try again until you succeed.

Lord J Rod
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
To me it seems like Fable without the humor and Dragon Age without the useless companions.

Deadpixels1
01-25-2012, 06:15 PM
downloaded the demo last night, hope it scratched the rpg itch

KuShNsTieN
01-27-2012, 12:40 AM
To me it seems like Fable without the humor and Dragon Age without the useless companions.

The best way to describe this game.

Cheftastytreats
01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
This game is the offspring of fable and dragon age

fastNcurious
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
The camera distance. It's horrendous. And this problem, coupled with the problem above, makes for a very unsatisfying experience, especially if you have enemies suddenly coming towards you from other directions within the limited view of your too-close camera-- most times you won't even have the chance to react because.. well, you guessed it, you'll most likely be locked in an animation.

This was the main determinant for me to not get this game. To me, camera angle is probably one of the most important deciding factors whether or not I want to play a game. Let's face it, playing video games is a very visual experience. If I can't stand how I see the game world, I'm not going to enjoy it. The way they did it here feels very claustrophobic.

dEku
01-28-2012, 09:49 PM
I will admit, there are a lot in common with Skyrim. Not the the look and feel, but certain scenarios. If you kill someone or do something wrong, a guard comes up to you. You can go to jail, resist arrest, or try to bribe him. If you resist, you get tons of guards attacking you.

Fast travel is very similar too. You can fast travel anywhere on the map you have already been to.

Besides that, it's not really a rip-off, I'd say just used other games as an inspiration. That's not really a bad thing. Though I can see what you mean when you say it's like Skyrim. Kind of a Skyrim/Fable game with some Wow/Everquest. Think they were just trying to stir a pot of good games together.
So, by many people's logic apparently, if you get arrested in a game, TES CLONE!! If you can fast travel, TES CLONE!!! If you can steal things, TES CLONE!!!

That's all I've been seeing so far. They made a game, that doesn't mean it's automatically a clone. Sure, they had influences but it's not a clone. People need to stop being retards. Games can have things from other games without it being a clone or a ripoff.

Kraderic
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM

So, by many people's logic apparently, if you get arrested in a game, TES CLONE!! If you can fast travel, TES CLONE!!! If you can steal things, TES CLONE!!!

That's all I've been seeing so far. They made a game, that doesn't mean it's automatically a clone. Sure, they had influences but it's not a clone. People need to stop being retards. Games can have things from other games without it being a clone or a ripoff.

Reread Tyger's post. He never said it was a TES clone, or even implied it was. He simply stated, accurately, that certain aspects of KoA:R are similar to Skyrim, WoW, Everquest and Fable. He stated, verbatim, that KoA:R has "a lot in common with TES". Is that not a factual statement? It doesn't imply cloning in the least bit, only that the game has similar game mechanics to other games of the same genre, although it doesn't implement those mechanics as well as previously said games.

tl;dr "like" or "similar" does not mean "clone"

The Pants Party
01-28-2012, 11:51 PM
I think that kid just tried to pick on a mod and failed is all. Tyger was actually disagreeing with the OP and defending Reckoning, while admitting there were still similarities, which is completely accurate.

Kraderic
01-29-2012, 12:33 AM
I think that kid just tried to pick on a mod and failed is all.
that kid just tried to pick on a mod
that kid just tried
that kid
kid

http://i.imgur.com/IQfeH.gif

The Pants Party
01-29-2012, 02:53 AM
That's far and away the best post I've seen from you yet, Kraderic! :p

Xenolith666
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Curt Schilling played a lot of Everquest back in the day.. this seems more based towards that with the large sprawling world. And a lot of games have fast travel..

Mighty Goliath89
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Wouldnt say its a ripoff of anything it has its similarities as do all games in that genre but it still is quite unique. Not a fan myself (well didnt like the demo at all but thats another tale for another day) but if I had to say a positive thing about it is that its what fable should of been like :P

Hansathan
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
My grandmother used to say "there ain't nothin new under the sun", meaning that everything gets some sort of influence from something else. This world (and gaming, specifically) has been around long enough that there aren't too many brand spankin new, or earth shattering ideas left. That being said, does borrowing some concepts/ideas from some very popular games in the genre make it a blatant "rip-off"? Absolutely not. Anyone who played the demo and has been following the game knows it has a feel of its own, while borrowing some elements of art/story telling/combat style. That is okay!

The fact that it feels like it bit off a chunk of Skyrim can be linked to the fact that Ken Rolston (of Oblivion fame) penned the story.

Des
02-01-2012, 12:45 AM
I think you're using the idiotic logic that if a game is in the same genre it is a ripoff of the currently most popular game in that genre. The games are both Western-influenced Action RPGs. So, maybe 38 Studios thought, "Man, that Skyrim is going to be HUGE! We should totally make a game in that genre and release it shortly after to cash in on that fad."

Or, Curt Schilling is an RPG addict, spent his life savings from baseball to start a studio and create a game he was passionate about. One of us is probably right.
I wish there was a like button. Y U NO HAS LIKE BUTTON?

Vigor
02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Wanna bet all the haters are first in line to pick up their preorders.

It's always been like that.

Kraderic
02-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Wanna bet all the haters are first in line to pick up their preorders.

It's always been like that.

I'm sure it's a bet you'd lose. It's hardly ever like that.

RDrules
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
they're all a rip off of dungeons and dragons... true story :rolleyes::cool:

Axel 360
02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Similarities, such a dangerous thing in the industry...

Anyway, first let me say I had fun with the demo, not jaw-breaking or laugh out loud fun, but I think I´ll wait to see players opinions and reviews and maybe I can give it a shoot.

Regarding the OP, I think there are things that may resemble Skyrim, there´s crafting, factions, a new lore that takes a lot from the north european old mythos ...but all of that plays more like World of Warcraft than Skyrim. That´s the one game I feel more comparable, even more than Fable, Fable is a saga that really take out most of the RPG elements to create a more casual hybrid, even when the attack system seems likely this one is far deeper than Fable´s one.

The demo however should been a little bigger, instead of allow free roaming they should have include a system to play our character in different states of her/his destiny so we could prove how that works, given the fact that it seems that is the mayor new feature in the game to separate it from others in the genre and it will be important in how we play the game and feel the story.

My real problem with this game actually is that is a EA game, so, Online Pass, massive DLC useless trash, maybe three or more mayor DLC with cheevos attached and probably not GOTY edition unless the game sells reaaally well and even then is not likely.

OneBgBdArtemis
02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I think one of the key things that people are failing to remember, or know, is that R.A. Salvator writes the best, IMO, Forgotten Realms Books, and when you write, your inspiration is never exclusively, only, exactly your own. You pull from a variety of different sources and come up with your vision on it. Not that it's right, but it's not wrong either, it's just story telling.

vader359
02-07-2012, 08:17 PM
umm how exactly is this a ripoff of skyrim? I can see definite influences from fable and various other rpg's but i dont see how its a ripoff.

Mercury
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM

And the lockpicking mode is almost identical (turn lockpick with RS, move lock with LS).

Really intrigued by this game. Can't decide whether or not to drop 60 on it though.

Edit: My brad, didn't see someone else posted about lockpicking right below what I quoted.

foreverflash
02-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Or, Curt Schilling is an RPG addict, spent his life savings from baseball to start a studio and create a game he was passionate about. One of us is probably right.Exactly. This about sums it up. For anyone interested, the correct answer is #2, after the word "Or"...

;)

Iceice3030
02-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Nobody threw Torchlight into the mix. I find the weapons/armour and basic feel very similar , but on steroids.
I see how they have tried to take things that have worked from other things and keep it fun fresh and moving forward at a good pace with tons of customization and talent tree's to spec into to keep variety , yet it just feels , i dont know, like a worn old glove you just cant throw away for some reason.

LegendaryMarvel
02-08-2012, 06:27 AM

It is also a ripoff of any third person game or any game with quests... so it ripped off Mass Effect as well as Diablo. Obviously a ripoff of God of War also. Clearly ripping off WoW too.

Sorry... I dislike ignorance.

JONBLEACH
02-08-2012, 06:28 AM
The game by-far isnt a rip off.
Once i got home i started playing.
Played straight for 10 hours, no joke
couldnt stop doing side quests

foreverflash
02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
It is also a ripoff of any third person game or any game with quests... so it ripped off Mass Effect as well as Diablo. Obviously a ripoff of God of War also. Clearly ripping off WoW too.

Sorry... I dislike ignorance.You have to be careful when saying something is a rip-off.

Throughout our modern history of entertainment, almost ALL of the greatest movies, games, books and music have been inspired by those that came before it (some a lot, some a little). When something is a true rip-off, it will have elements that are so similar they are nearly indistinguishable from the "original" inspiration. In this case of Amalur, I am familiar with ALL the references in which the game was inspired by (Fable, God of War, Too Human, WoW) and can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that Amalur does what most new games can NOT do: rise above. Amalur takes what it is inspired by and makes it better, unique and fresh.

Read this and understand the truth. Don't be a foolish troll; not for a game as great and special as Reckoning. Just don't. Check your biased and unfounded criticism at the door...

Acejunky
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Its everything Fable should have been

GreyTemplar
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
yet it just feels , i dont know, like a worn old glove you just cant throw away for some reason.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this is a bad thing. It's familiar, comfortable, worn in enough to slip on and off with ease.

I have yet to play it (go go Comp Sci projects, must finish before I buy), but if it is a worn old glove that you can't throw away; it says a lot for the influences the game has taken from. It has taken parts from Fable, Elder Scrolls, DA, Torchlight (as you mentioned), MMOs, and weaved them into a very comfortable patched sexy glove. The pair you will wear the shit out of, and even once it has more holes in it, you'll find a patch for it *cough dlc cough* and slip it on once more.

I've gotten mixed feelings from a couple of reviews I've read on story however. One side says its epic and engaging, the other says its quite bland and lacking yet the backstory is there.

This is RA Salvatore. And while I'm not expecting something as epic along the lines of George R. R. Martin or Tolkien, I'd like to see what others think of the story that is present?

Yaymez
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I don't understand why people are raging over this.

Surely if you spend a large amount of your attention on what this game is similar to, you'll just end up not enjoying the experience.

Seriously, try to sit back, stop trying to align your experience with something you've played before and enjoy the story and gameplay.

HxC Anxiiety
02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I dont see any similarites to skyrim with this game, maybe fable but def not skyrim

BBowles
02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
They just took aspects they liked from other games and used them to mold their own game. Elder Scrolls jail/crime system, Fable's on/off toggle for killing friendlies, dailogue feels more akin to Dragon Age: Origins, but many games have used this generic style (fallout also). Just a few off the top of my head. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I wouldn't call it a rip-off by any stretch.

If anything, this is what Fable 3 SHOULD HAVE BEEN, instead of going backwards.

sullen
02-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Yeah, between Skyrim and Fable, it is a lot more Fable than Skyrim. But it really doesn't matter. Games borrow designs from other games. You play enough games in a genre and you will notice gameplay mechanics, story/plot elements, character development, ect. that have been used before. Get over it.

Either way, this game is awesome and much fun is being had.

HxC Anxiiety
02-09-2012, 03:37 AM
If anything, this is what Fable 3 SHOULD HAVE BEEN, instead of going backwards.

i agree to that

Kraderic
02-09-2012, 04:03 AM
In this case of Amalur, I am familiar with ALL the references in which the game was inspired by (Fable, God of War, Too Human, WoW) and can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that Amalur does what most new games can NOT do: rise above. Amalur takes what it is inspired by and makes it better, unique and fresh.

Read this and understand the truth. Don't be a foolish troll; not for a game as great and special as Reckoning. Just don't. Check your biased and unfounded criticism at the door...

Wow, I haven't laughed so hard. To call people foolish trolls because they disagree that Amalur does poorly what other games did well? That's just foolish itself. You're saying that the camera system in this game is much better than the one in Fable, Dragon Age, and Skyrim? How does that explain the developers asking their community how they could better improve their camera system after all the complaints they received post-demo?

Or better yet, you're saying the inventory system in this game is "better, unique, and fresh"? You obviously haven't played much of KoA:R. I would also like your unbiased and educated opinion on why KoA:R's hotkey system is superior to other games' hotkey systems. KoA:R limits the player to only 4 skill hotkeys, whereas Fable allows you up to 12 (perhaps more) skills. Skyrim has a Favorites menu. Sacred 2 allowed you to use many skills simultaneously. Dragon Age had a dial menu allowing you to activate/deactivate any skill on the fly. KoA:R forces you to go to your skills menu and re-map skills if you want to use them.

How is this "rising above" the competition? You're so misinformed and biased yourself it's sad. Now if only I had a stamp that read 'hypocrite'; I bet you'd wear that mark proudly.

im your density
02-09-2012, 04:16 AM
agreed entirely. to say that this game did better with the concepts it inspired from previous games is very ignorant and biased itself. i created a thread earlier asking about the hotkeys and am fairly disappointed that i'm unable to have more than 4 skills hotkey'd at a time. they promote that we can run hybrid characters that are eligible for many skills but expect us to go through their clunky UI menu to constantly re-map skills just to use them? very flawed and unimaginative for a game as "great and special" as reckoning, given that almost every RPG game before it managed skills much more effectively..

J4ckyb0y1
02-09-2012, 04:48 AM

Your a fucking idiot

Kraderic
02-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Your a fucking idiot

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ive251.png

Natz
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Ok seeing as ive read up about this game and that all I hear is its a skyrim rip off from people here's some info from wikipedia just from the 3 names on the games box art.

R.A Salvatore: "He is responsible for the story and dialog for the game Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, which received praise for the storyline." He's a novel writer whos done Star Wars The New Jedi Order series.

Todd McFarlane: "is a cartoonist, writer, toy designer and entrepreneur, best known for his work in comic books. it was announced that McFarlane will be the Art Director of the newly formed 38 Studios, formerly Green Monster Games, founded by major league baseball pitcher Curt Schilling."

Ken Rolston: "Rolston was the lead designer for Bethesda's role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, its expansions, and was also lead designer for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Ken is now lead creative visionary for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning."

Another thing I heard about was Curt Schilling hired 400 of the best designers with some of his own money. so he could have designers from other rpg games there that you havent noticed to complain about yet!

H2O
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
R.A Salvatore: "He is responsible for the story and dialog for the game Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, which received praise for the storyline." He's a novel writer whos done Star Wars The New Jedi Order series.

More than that he's the author who created Drizzt Do'Urden.

GreyTemplar
02-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Rather he ONLY wrote Vector Prime and killed off Chewbacca. But yes he created Drizzt. Along with the rest of his companions. Really defined forgotten realms. He has also written novels outside of D&D that were great in their own rights.

IDiivil
02-10-2012, 06:17 AM
... I do see some similarities to Skyrim :S The Lord of the Hunt during the Traveler storyline in KoA:R is very similar to one of the daedric quests in Skyrim. I wouldn't say it's a rip off, but the general gameplay/quest and what you have to do are pretty nearly identical.

Coruba
02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
When I played the demo I immediately thought of Fable, the cotrols, the character accents, the basic mechanics, even the music was eeriely close. Then the dialogue, its a nice easy nod to dragon age/mass effect. Skyrim? I don't see it, though the armor the knights wear looks alot like imperials armor from Oblivion.

So yeah, not overly original, and the demo didn't make me want to buy the game. I mainly wanted the armor for ME3.

VA1N
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Just because it's an RPG with a map that kind of is similar to Skyrim it's a ripoff? KoA does look like it took some creative inspiration from Skyrim but it also took some from Fable and Mass Effect as well. Just because a game uses things that worked in other games doesn't make it a ripoff. It took what worked in the other games and made a great game by adding in their own unique flavor.

Magus 0f Zeal
02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I think that kid just tried to pick on a mod and failed is all. Tyger was actually disagreeing with the OP and defending Reckoning, while admitting there were still similarities, which is completely accurate.

He refrenced the post saying that's what a lot of people are thinking. He never mentioned Tyger directly. The way I read the post is he's frustrated like Tyger that people are making these accusations. Basically agreeing with the quoted post. Unless you are that person you're just making speculations and accusations.

Sammo21
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Congratulations, not only have you proven that you didn't even play the freaking demo but you also made yourself look like a dumbass. These games only have the smallest things in common. Exploration isn't the same, combat is nowhere near the same (or terrible, like in skyrim), questing isn't the same, and crafting isn't the same...the list could go on but why?

Please inform yourself past fanboy talking points. :uzi:

Sammo21
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
... I do see some similarities to Skyrim :S The Lord of the Hunt during the Traveler storyline in KoA:R is very similar to one of the daedric quests in Skyrim. I wouldn't say it's a rip off, but the general gameplay/quest and what you have to do are pretty nearly identical.

This isn't Skyrims thing...this is an RPG thing. Games before even the Elder Scrolls had quests that progressed the same way. This is the equivalent of saying people are ripping off Call of Duty modern warfare because there is an AK47 in it.

IDiivil
02-11-2012, 04:26 AM
This isn't Skyrims thing...this is an RPG thing. Games before even the Elder Scrolls had quests that progressed the same way. This is the equivalent of saying people are ripping off Call of Duty modern warfare because there is an AK47 in it.

I'm not arguing that KoA:R is ripping off Skyrim. I was merely saying I can see why people think that way due to the similarities... the timing does not help.

zarda1
02-16-2012, 06:28 AM
after 200 hours of skyrim you notice similarities. i don't think the OP is idiotic but it does jump to conclusions. as had been said it's probably just the timing and just a few months from now nobody would say anything. there are a lot of similar games but when you start off in a cave system fighting giant spiders, looting chests and using magic you get a sense of déjà vu.

AgentOrange330
02-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah and Modern Warfare 3 is a rip off of Wolfenstein 3D...

ghostx30
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow, I haven't laughed so hard. To call people foolish trolls because they disagree that Amalur does poorly what other games did well? That's just foolish itself. You're saying that the camera system in this game is much better than the one in Fable, Dragon Age, and Skyrim? How does that explain the developers asking their community how they could better improve their camera system after all the complaints they received post-demo?

Or better yet, you're saying the inventory system in this game is "better, unique, and fresh"? You obviously haven't played much of KoA:R. I would also like your unbiased and educated opinion on why KoA:R's hotkey system is superior to other games' hotkey systems. KoA:R limits the player to only 4 skill hotkeys, whereas Fable allows you up to 12 (perhaps more) skills. Skyrim has a Favorites menu. Sacred 2 allowed you to use many skills simultaneously. Dragon Age had a dial menu allowing you to activate/deactivate any skill on the fly. KoA:R forces you to go to your skills menu and re-map skills if you want to use them.

How is this "rising above" the competition? You're so misinformed and biased yourself it's sad. Now if only I had a stamp that read 'hypocrite'; I bet you'd wear that mark proudly.

No kidding. I agree completely. That dude seriously needs to pull out his pud a whack the ever loving fuck out of it so that he can relieve the colossal stiffy he has for this game and gain some perspective.

Kraderic
02-17-2012, 02:15 AM
No kidding. I agree completely. That dude seriously needs to pull out his pud a what the ever loving fuck out of it so that he can relieve the colossal stiffy he has for this game and gain some perspective.

I like to think I struck this kid so bad he's too scared to post again. His post history seems to reflect so..