PDA

View Full Version : 343 Industries: Halo 4 will "re-inject some new life" into Halo

MixMaker1
01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Some great stuff. I'm beginning to think a BIG change for the MP could be 60FPS. Halo games have always been at 30.
Waking up and realizing that it's 2012 — or in Master Chief's case, 2553 — is a joyous occasion if for no other reason than it means one thing: Halo 4 will be out this year. We sat down with 343 Industries Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor to get an update.

On how much focus Halo: CE Anniversary took away from Halo 4:
“Out of 200-plus people working at our studio, roughly 200 are working on Halo 4.”

On whether they will collaborate again with Certain Affinity, the studio founded by former Halo 2 lead multiplayer designer Max Hoberman:
“Certain Affinity will absolutely be working with us again. They’re a part of our family.”

Clarifying whether or not that means Certain Affinity will be doing multiplayer maps for Halo 4:
“We are definitely building Halo 4 multiplayer stuff in-house, would we consider working with [them] on that stuff? Of course. They’ve done some of the best maps for everything since Halo 2.”

On whether or not they’ve been fighting an uphill battle with fans simply because they’re not Bungie:
“When people see what we’ve been able to achieve technologically, and how both careful and ambitious we’ve been with the gameplay — those things sound contradictory but they’re not — I think they’ll become more and more confident .”

[B]On whether or not any of the new engine technology from [I]Anniversary will make its way into Halo 4:
“The technology in Halo: CE Anniversary is really cool, but it has nothing to do with the technology that [the Halo 4 team] is working on.”

On just how different Halo 4 will be from Bungie’s games:
“The core of what’s going to make Halo 4 great is some of the universe building and gameplay creation that Bungie seeded way back in Halo: CE.”

On where changes might be most visible:
“Now is the time when we really need to do something fresh and new and re-inject some new life…at least in multiplayer.”

On how lost you’ll be, storywise, if you play Halo 4 without having ever played Halo before:
“If Halo 4 is your first [Halo] game, that’s fine — don’t worry about it.”

Whiistler
01-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Who cares if it's 30/60FPS? I can't tell when playing games how many FPS are running. And I couldn't care less. More frames doesn't mean anything but more frames. Doesn't make the game more fun. Which is what I want.

Only smug gamers care about trivial things like frames per second. I don't want to sound mean because you obviously like Halo a lot, and so do I, and I'm not going to be mean to someone who's as big fan as I am. But really, frames per second, not a big deal.

Movies run at 24FPS, no one complains about that.

MC B0B x360a
01-23-2012, 05:21 AM
How about they keep it at 30fps and just get rid of all the gay shit they injected into Reaches multiplayer.

MixMaker1
01-23-2012, 05:27 AM
Who cares if it's 30/60FPS? I can't tell when playing games how many FPS are running. And I couldn't care less. More frames doesn't mean anything but more frames. Doesn't make the game more fun. Which is what I want.

Only smug gamers care about trivial things like frames per second. I don't want to sound mean because you obviously like Halo a lot, and so do I, and I'm not going to be mean to someone who's as big fan as I am. But really, frames per second, not a big deal.

Movies run at 24FPS, no one complains about that.
There is NOTHIGN wrong with Halo's currently 30FPS. My point is they've made hints at the fact they like some of things COD does. A faster, more tighter Halo would be interesting.

Either way, I don't care that much. I just think it's one thing that would help the MP aspect a little bit. We'll see. They did say it's built off an enhanced Reach system so it will likely be 30fps.

What I'd like to see, is a more strategic Halo with honing in on all the things that make the series GREAT.

Bring back the pyramid: Guns, Grenades, Melee

DEG23
01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
MixMaker, you baited me in with that title thinking there was going to be specific details on Halo 4:p

I'm not sure what is meant by On how lost you’ll be, storywise, if you play Halo 4 without having ever played Halo before: “If Halo 4 is your first [Halo] game, that’s fine — don’t worry about it.” I was kind of hoping there would be connections to past Halo games to tie in the trilogies.

MixMaker1
01-24-2012, 05:53 AM
MixMaker, you baited me in with that title thinking there was going to be specific details on Halo 4:p

I'm not sure what is meant by On how lost you’ll be, storywise, if you play Halo 4 without having ever played Halo before: “If Halo 4 is your first [Halo] game, that’s fine — don’t worry about it.” I was kind of hoping there would be connections to past Halo games to tie in the trilogies.
I think they'll do a great job explaining what is going on. Then again, all that has to be explained is there was a war with the convenant that is now [somewhat] over. From this story's perspective, it won't have to say much more than that.

I'm sure the ties in with the books will give it a much deeper meaning. Hell, Halo 1's cut scenes are now finally making much more sense after reading Primordium. Super rich and deep.

DEG23
01-25-2012, 03:33 AM
I think they'll do a great job explaining what is going on. Then again, all that has to be explained is there was a war with the convenant that is now [somewhat] over. From this story's perspective, it won't have to say much more than that.

I'm guessing the story of Halo 4 will be completely new. Given how Halo 3 ended i can see that 343 will be free to introduce anything they want without having to 'tie up lose ends' but i was kind of hoping there would be at least some sub plot or underlying connection to the past halo games, that's why the statement worried me.

Then again i haven't read the books so i may be missing something. Do any of the books continue the story past the end of Halo 3?

MixMaker1
01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Then again i haven't read the books so i may be missing something. Do any of the books continue the story past the end of Halo 3?
Yup they do :)

Primordium and Glasslands.

Here's what I'd suggest.

Read these:

Ghosts of Oynx
Glasslands
Cryptum
Primordium

DEG23
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Yup they do :)

Primordium and Glasslands.

Here's what I'd suggest.

Read these:

Ghosts of Oynx
Glasslands
Cryptum
Primordium

That worked out well, i just bought Ghosts of Onyx a few weeks ago, i'm going to move it to the top of my 'to read' pile. Hopefully i can get through them all before Halo 4 arrives, cheers.

StillTIPPIN187
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Some great stuff. I'm beginning to think a BIG change for the MP could be 60FPS. Halo games have always been at 30.

I would literally be in love with halo again if it ran at 60FPS..

Im in love with Forza and MW as my favorite Driving Sims/ First Person Shooters.. Just because everything comes at you smooth and fluid.. driving and shooter are very precise games especially in MP.. and thats blurry mess is annoying

BUT, they are gonna have to do some other things with the game as well for me to stick with it.. Im hoping for the best for Halo 4.. Dont want Black Ops 2 to be my MP game of 2013.. i want Halo 4 to be my MP fix.

MixMaker1
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I would literally be in love with halo again if it ran at 60FPS..

Im in love with Forza and MW as my favorite Driving Sims/ First Person Shooters.. Just because everything comes at you smooth and fluid.. driving and shooter are very precise games especially in MP.. and thats blurry mess is annoying

BUT, they are gonna have to do some other things with the game as well for me to stick with it.. Im hoping for the best for Halo 4.. Dont want Black Ops 2 to be my MP game of 2013.. i want Halo 4 to be my MP fix.
Call of Duty is fun, fast and addictive. But it's so played out for me. I hate the MW3 MP. BO was MUCH better imo.

That being said, it would be interesting to see a faster paced Halo. Would breathe new life into the series. Also, remember it's running on an enhanced Halo Reach engine. Should be interesting.

RDrules
02-01-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm guessing the story of Halo 4 will be completely new. Given how Halo 3 ended i can see that 343 will be free to introduce anything they want without having to 'tie up lose ends' but i was kind of hoping there would be at least some sub plot or underlying connection to the past halo games, that's why the statement worried me.

If they make the game well enough both can be true.

all they need to do is make the game completely new and accessible to new players while giving nods to he fans that people who have played before will get and will just fly completely over the new players heads without confusing them.

the elder scrolls games are great example of how you can do this, they games are all completely stand alone yet you can hear talking of your past adventures around cities, find books talking about previous games and see the effects your actions had years after where people that havent played before just hear them talking about another town/region they havent visited. It effects nothing in the game but is still nice to see while your playing