PDA

View Full Version : Is else tired of trial related achievements?

L KIRA HAYABUSA
01-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm sick and tired of them because some people like me aren't all that good xD I just hope that all 300 trials isn't all of the characters. Anyone else agree?

Zechs Merquise
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm more tired of win streak achievements than I am of trial achievements. Both are a pain in the azz either way.

L KIRA HAYABUSA
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
But you can boost for win streak achievements though xD Some trials are like..you have to be like super good xD

Zechs Merquise
01-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Not all of them you can boost, also I think they made achievements for this game easier than previous sf titles because they're trying to appeal to a more casual audience gameplay wise so I guess they're doing the same thing for the achievements.

JQTNguyen
01-22-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm pretty sick of them as well, especially since the trials in Capcom games always seem very uninspired. They usually follow a format that's something along the lines of: 1) Perform a Special Move, 2) Perform a Special Move, 3) Perform a Special Move, 4) Perform a Standard Combo, 5+) Highly Situational Combos that you will probably never use ever again.

I didn't mind them as much in the King of Fighters XIII though since they actually taught you some pretty practical combos and they gave you more leeway in completing your combos. That is, if a combo were Jump HP, Crouch LP, and Fireball, then KOF XIII would still let you pass the trial if you ended up adding in extra moves to complete your combo, so a Jump HP, Crouch LP, Crouch LK, and Fireball would register as a success.

hydrosugar
01-22-2012, 08:06 AM
I never have a problem with skill achievements. If I can't get them too bad. It's better than online achievements/collectibles which are a test of patience more than anything.

Veedrock
01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
God forbid achievements be a challenge.

TakahashiDemon
01-22-2012, 06:07 PM
God forbid achievements be a challenge.

Exactly.. I never cry over any achievements that are challenging as they are meant to be one! Simply you should accept the fact most fighter games are gonna have Trials in them, they are a great way to learn how to play the games too, and learn how to play certain characters, rather than just going into some Training mode and executing their moves, in Trials, you're both executing them and chaining them into combos.

My only issue with trials is the AI will block sometimes, although I know why that is, it only happens if I was too late or early in getting the next move in..
Plus the trials could be easier.. the BBCS Extend ones seemly don't get hard until the 9/15 challenges, every game's trial modes are different.. its too soon to be worrying about them yet.

o D M C o
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
For those ppl gifted at fighting games I think the trials are great... for everyone else (especially those interested in achievements) they're an overly difficult and frustrating task to complete. I didnt put SSF4 on my xbox list and bought mvc on the ps3 because of them. Ill wait to see some feedback about the difficulty of the new ones before I purchase this game. I will be buying it, but if the trials are too hard Ill just get it on ps3

IceKingz
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I personally love trials but I do feel that they should never be as hard as SSF4 or SF4. I don't mind a challenge but I can EASILY see why people would give up on those games. Hell, even UMVC3 was pretty tricky to beat.

Veedrock
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
For those ppl gifted at fighting games I think the trials are great... for everyone else (especially those interested in achievements) they're an overly difficult and frustrating task to complete. I didnt put SSF4 on my xbox list and bought mvc on the ps3 because of them. Ill wait to see some feedback about the difficulty of the new ones before I purchase this game. I will be buying it, but if the trials are too hard Ill just get it on ps3

But you see, that's a personal problem, not a problem with the trials themselves. I made the sarcastic comment above about them requiring skill being forbidden, but what I didn't mention is that I'm actually terrible at fighting games.

Frankly trials are the reason I'll never complete any Capcom fighting games, and general lack of skill is to blame for failing to complete others like Mortal Kombat. The most trials I've done is 20/25 characters' Normal trials on Street Fighter IV PC, and I credit that much progress to using a keyboard! Doubt I could ever replicate that progress on the console version. I haven't even bothered with Super Street Fighter IV, seeing the end achievement is "do all 840 trials." In Marvel vs Capcom 3 I've hit the 160 trial completion but I'm pretty much stuck at about 180 trials done, so I'll never hit the magical 320.

But that doesn't stop me from playing the games, and why should it? I still enjoy the games immensely, especially casual bouts with friends, and I can generally still get the bulk of achievements (at least 500+ gamerscore). There's no excuse not to play them!

And really, that's the fundamental flaw with the completionist mindset: if it can't be completed for any reason (requires skill, shutdown servers, etc) it must be avoided, regardless of how good the game itself is. That's another discussion for another topic though, and you kind of circumvent that by buying on the PS3.

===
If I could change one thing about trial achievements, I'd actually just add more of them. For example, the problem with Super Street Fighter IV is that it had 3 trial achievements: do any 10 trials, do 1 characters, do all 35 characters. For somebody like me, the any 10 is stupid simple and I might attempt the 1 character. If I'm ever successful though, there's no way in hell I'd ever complete all 35 characters, so why would I even try? If they paced the trials through more achievements, like "Complete 10 trials, complete 50 trials, complete 150 trials," etc etc up to the full completion, I'd be much more inclined to try more trials and trial more characters. Build me up to that full completion achievement, don't just throw a humongous hurdle in there and expect me to jump it!

But back to my point, achievements requiring skill isn't a bad thing. Yes its out of reach to most, but you aren't entitled to 1000G for simply putting the game in the tray.

zeroligerx
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm right there in the middle of the road with trial achievements. I do like them as long as they are actually teaching you the game and helping you with combos. However i hate them if they giving you a trial that is top teir level tourney player combo for the example the daigo/wong evo third stirke moment. ( I know it can be actually done but it just a example of learning curve)

TakahashiDemon
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm right there in the middle of the road with trial achievements. I do like them as long as they are actually teaching you the game and helping you with combos. However i hate them if they giving you a trial that is top teir level tourney player combo for the example the daigo/wong evo third stirke moment. ( I know it can be actually done but it just a example of learning curve)

Yea parrying all of Chun-Li's hits in her Super move is just too much.. but it can be done, just need to be perfect with the timing..
But I think trials normally means performing combos, if anything it might be like MvC3's missions:
Mission 1: Perform Special Attack
Mission 2: Perform Special Attack
Mission 3: Perform a combo of 2 Special Attacks
Mission 4: Perform a combo (something like L>M>H>236L)
Mission 5: Perform an air combo
Mission 6: Perform a combo with a hyper cancel.

That's the sort of easier ones, then it goes into doing assists and rather long ones that sorta combine all these into one combo, I always managed to get up to 5 done, sometimes 6.

It could be different this time round where the combos are easier and stuff, could also be more trials per character too, we'll see what its like when the time comes.. I'll just say if you're a completionist and not generally into Fighting games, you might want to sit out and wait before you get this game.. sad thing to do, but I guess its what you must do if you want to keep your 100% on everything.

I'm waiting for this, but it's just really until it comes down in price and until there is more confirmation of getting to play as either Jin or Devil Jin.. I'm actually looking forward to Namco's version a lot more, and there would least likely be trials in that one when you think about it.. none of their games to date have had them.. SCV which is coming in 10 days don't seem to have them.

I'm definitely getting this game at some point though, I don't care about completion, and I would at least try the trials out first before admitting defeat, hopefully the trials are the complete 300 and not all of them, also, depending on the roster, 300 could be near enough all of them depending how many there are per character.

o D M C o
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Veedrock, Ive completed plenty of games a lot of people would consider difficult, and I also enjoy earning tough achievements. Why are you saying (regarding my dislike of trials related achievements) 'thats a personal problem, not a problem with the trials themselves' when my post was a response to the OPs post about not liking trials related achievements? Why you feel the need to single me out and write an essay on the 'flaws' of my mindset is beyond me. I must have done something to offend you in a past life. Its simple, If I want a game and the achievements dont appeal to me, I get it on the PS3... Im still playing ALL the games that I like the look of, just not always on the same system.

Veedrock
01-26-2012, 06:31 AM
I wasn't singling you out in the slightest, you'll notice I only specifically mentioned "you" where I said you buy games on the PS3. While I quoted your post, mine was written very generally towards completionists at large and/or anybody that intentionally avoids good titles because of a few select achievements. You were just the first one to really bring it up (the OP implied it, but not enough to make an elaborate post).

EDIT: @below Exactly!

o D M C o
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Ah who cares anyway, we both want the game and we're both gonna love it regardless of what system either of us gets it on.

hydrosugar
01-27-2012, 03:55 AM
I like what trial achievements represent. An offline, non collectible and skill based achievement. Those are my 3 dream criteria for achievements. And even though I didn't get the MK vs DC ones, I'm happy they were there.(Along with the stupid online streaks which required no skill, only boosting.) Point being I'm also probably not gonna get these, but it's better than most achievements on fighting game lists these days.

rileyvace
01-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty mcuh my opinon is:

Win Streak achievements are random in some sense. Yeah sure if you're REALLY good at the game it's easier. But if you have 10 new players the achievement is simple. I personally had to fight a pretty hard fight in SSF4, for my 8th win in a row. I barely won and had to resort to laming it out. Not fun, but I didn't wanna risk it. All other fights were easy and I just baited players into doing reversals then doing the heaviest combo I could lol.

Trial achievements, I know I will nevere get on SSF4 or at least for a long time. Certain characters I just can;t get the grasp of. Gen for one, I can't get used to switching styles mid combo haha. But I have completed Bison, Cody, Ibuki, Sakura, Ryu, Rose, Cammy, Zangief,T.Hawk and Hakan. Everyone else has 1 or 2 I can't quite do yet. I like them though, it means my execution isn't good enough yet! I often hop into Trial mode to practice. Half the combos in there aren't worth it as there are far more damaging or useful ones that exist for each character. I'd rather go for slightly less damage with an untechable knock down (Playing as Ibuki really bolsters this as you're constantly looking for an untech knock down for your vortex)

I personally am excited for SFxTK's achievements. They seem challenging yet fair. 100 perfect wins? Not unobtainable, but will take a while to get! I mean even if you best a player. All it takes is a blocked special/cross or super art to chip you and you've lost the perfect. I have only just reached 100 perfects on SSF4 after a couple years haha! Really excited for every aspect of this game!!

conel33
01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I would hate it so much if they took away the trials and the win X in a row ranked matches, pretty disappointed that there's no ranked in a row in this one.

If I'm going to put in hundreds of hours (which I am as always) and get loads of ranked wins in a row and complete all the trials then I want to be getting achievements for it. There's nothing worse than fighting games with easy achievements.

Take Tekken 6 for example, I've played thousands of matches on that game, got to the top 10 on the leaderboards, then lent it to my friend who doesn't even like Tekken very much but who got all the achievements in like 10-15 hours without even learning any of the characters because the achievements were stupidly easy.

I hope Capcom fighting games achievements stay difficult and keep trials and ranked match wins forever.

kaiyuss
01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
...and they gave you more leeway in completing your combos. That is, if a combo were Jump HP, Crouch LP, and Fireball, then KOF XIII would still let you pass the trial if you ended up adding in extra moves to complete your combo, so a Jump HP, Crouch LP, Crouch LK, and Fireball would register as a success.
You can do this in SFIV/SSFIV as well.

L KIRA HAYABUSA
02-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I've came to realize that the only trials I have a very great chance at accomplishing is Super Street Fighter IV 3DS edition, only because it's touch screen special moves xD

Potoczak
02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I wish they would stop doing them. I can only try and do a 15 button combo so many times before I want to throw my controller across the room

KeepEmRolling
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't mind them. I'm usually not good enough to get every one of them done, but I enjoy going through and learning some new moves.

doppelganga
02-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I thought I would mention this here for anyone that hasn't been following the game...There will be a total of 38 characters in the game, and each one will have 20 trials. That means in order to get 300 trials done, you only need to average around 8 per character. Piece of cake, so no worries guys :)

Achievements in this game are going to be more of a grind than anything else. Finish a round with pandora/super art/cross art are going to take quite a while.

Veedrock
02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
I thought I would mention this here for anyone that hasn't been following the game...There will be a total of 38 characters in the game, and each one will have 20 trials. That means in order to get 300 trials done, you only need to average around 8 per character. Piece of cake, so no worries guys :)

Just saw the trial screen myself, pretty cool approach imo: let the everyman get the achievement but make him put the time into it (300 trials is no short task, regardless of difficulty). I'm sure there's titles and such associated with doing all the trials per character, but with any luck there'll be a good deal more than 300 titles so people can get around it.

rabblerouser
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
You don't have to do all the trials but you must do all the missions, which are supposedly combo video type combos :mad:
I assume trials are one character, missions are tag combo stuff

RA1NKING
02-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Anybody got any footage of mission mode?

hydrosugar
03-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Achievements in this game are going to be more of a grind than anything else. Finish a round with pandora/super art/cross art are going to take quite a while.

This is good. I should probably crack the 300 easily, but at the same time there is absolutely no way I'll be able to do all of them. (If history is anything to go by.)

Desmondo2000
03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
street fighter and marvel trials are a walk in the park compared to the kof13 trials

Suiken
03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
No I like the trials. Its separates the men from the boys and makes my 100% completion in SF4 and SSF4 games something exceptional, unlike 99% of achievements.