PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect : Deception - thoughts and opinions?

Opiate42
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
The new novel is out from a different author than the original series.

General interwebz opinion is that it's bordering on blasphemy for all it's mistakes in the lore. Evidently so bad even Kotaku woke up and posted on it:
http://kotaku.com/5880729/mass-effect-fans-fact+check-mass-effect-novel-find-a-ton-of-errors

My copy hasn't arrived yet but wondering if anyone has had a chance to read it yet and what you think?

AuriDUL
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
My opinion? If you love ME games and previous books, then don't even think about reading this one!

I was lucky to come across one thread on the official ME3 forums at the BioWare Social Network.

Mass Effect: Deception Discussion Thread
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9070774/1

I read the preview of the first 3 chapters and rushed to my Kindle to cancel the pre-order. :-)

If you a true fan of the ME series, cancel your order as soon as possible in case it's not too late.

Rivercurse
01-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Those threads on the BW forums are hilarious but once you get over the fact that Dietz obviously doesn't know the lore as well as karpyshyn, it's not a terrible book.

Probably the weakest of the 4 so far, but overall I still enjoyed it. The worst book in this series will always be far superior to the best comic, that's for sure.

Inebriated Jedi
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
As soon as I heard that the author made Gillian "get over" her autism, as well as the fact that he made Hendel heterosexual when he was established as being gay, I cancelled my pre-order. I'm not spending my money on that garbage.

Rivercurse
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Been a while since I read Ascension but from what I remember, it was Kahlee who thought Hendel might be gay. Not the author saying 'Hendel is gay'. Can't check right now as I'm at work on a phone.

Inebriated Jedi
02-01-2012, 04:21 AM
It still doesn't change my opinion. I read the preview on Amazon and I could barely get through it; I'm not buying something that was so poorly written.

Rivercurse
02-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Its by no means the only inconsistency anyway, there are scores of other things wrong with the lore.

Opiate42
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
It still doesn't change my opinion. I read the preview on Amazon and I could barely get through it; I'm not buying something that was so poorly written.

I'm usually of the same mind there Jedi, 100%.

Hahaha, wow!! Thanks for the insight everyone. Well it's too late to cancel, already shipped and on it's way, just hasn't landed on my desk yet. Truthfully I never read the preview, ordered it so long ago I'd forgotten all about it until I received the shipping notice.

So I think I'll give it a shot but won't take it too seriously. Am currently elbow deep in a Tolstoy (Anna Karenina, and I want to punch Vronsky in the face) at the moment and that's way too serious for me as it is.

It's unfortunate that it wasn't written by Karpyshyn and that Dietz evidently didn't do his homework.

ExtremeRugburn
02-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I had totally forgotten about this book. I had ment to pre-order it, but now im glad I forgot. Its too bad to because I loved the first three books. You would think the writer would have access to the lore or at least someone who did. I wonder why Drew Karp didnt continue writing the novels, I mean he did help develope the whole storyline in ME and was one of the lead writers. It only makes since that he would be the one to continue turning out novels.

ZingZitang
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Been a while since I read Ascension but from what I remember, it was Kahlee who thought Hendel might be gay. Not the author saying 'Hendel is gay'. Can't check right now as I'm at work on a phone.
Correct. Its never Flat out Stated in Ascension that Hendel is homosexual. Its all Speculation.

I would say this Compares to Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss. She Know's absolutely nothing of established Halo Canon and Lore, and she basically turns Spartans into little girls. Spartans that were Previously(previously as established in 7 books and 3 games) very Militaristic Spartans Trained in the Military since childhood, and active in the military for over 40 years.

I understand wanting a New Author to Inject new Ideas and Interpretations, but it should be required of said new Author to learn all established Lore and Canon before being allowed to write a book for the Series. Unfortunately Traviss has two more books slated for Halo.

Theres a large List of Errors on Google Docs(linkhat) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XBpMF3ONlI308D9IGG8KICBHfWKU0sXh0ntukv-_cmo/edit?pli=1)

One of the Biggest Complaints I've seen is about Gillian's Autism. She shows no Signs of Autism in Deception.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gillian's Supposed Autism was largely the Result of all the Drugs being fed to her by Cerberus. This is stated at the end of Revelation. Thus after being free from Cerberus Experiments for a long time, Gillian would not show anymore signs of Autism. Correct?

Axel 360
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
The worst book in this series will always be far superior to the best comic, that's for sure.

GET OUT!! Have you even read comics not associated to other media products? Because only then can I understand such a blasphemy phrase.

The best Mass Effect comic book canīt even smell the shit of a proper graphic novel, I can pick a "not as good as others" comic and still will be worth a million times more than this ones.

Iīm sorry but that comment makes you look like an ignorant fanboy.

Inebriated Jedi
02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm usually of the same mind there Jedi, 100%.

Hahaha, wow!! Thanks for the insight everyone. Well it's too late to cancel, already shipped and on it's way, just hasn't landed on my desk yet. Truthfully I never read the preview, ordered it so long ago I'd forgotten all about it until I received the shipping notice.

That's too bad. I guess you could use it as a paperweight.

I heard that there was a hilarious scene involving Kai Leng and cereal from the BSN, so I suppose there's also that to look forward to.

RDrules
02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
GET OUT!! Have you even read comics not associated to other media products? Because only then can I understand such a blasphemy phrase.

The best Mass Effect comic book canīt even smell the shit of a proper graphic novel, I can pick a "not as good as others" comic and still will be worth a million times more than this ones.

im pretty sure he meant the mass effect comics

Rivercurse
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Oh dear. Try reading it again.

dark wing
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
I won't be getting my copy until Friday as a very late christmas present. From what I read on Amazon it doesn't seem to be very good.

Still at least I didn't pay for it.

mickjsg
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I would say this Compares to Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss. She Know's absolutely nothing of established Halo Canon and Lore, and she basically turns Spartans into little girls.

I understand wanting a New Author to Inject new Ideas and Interpretations, but it should be required of said new Author to learn all established Lore and Canon before being allowed to write a book for the Series. Unfortunately Traviss has two more books slated for Halo.
I'm not surprised to hear this about Karen Traviss, I read some of her Star Wars books, and I wondered whether she bothered researching for them too.

Opiate42
02-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Well it's time to see the truth with my own eyes. My copy has arrived.

*gulp*

ZingZitang
02-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not surprised to hear this about Karen Traviss, I read some of her Star Wars books, and I wondered whether she bothered researching for them too.
Its Quite unfortunate really. While I can't ignore anything that has anything to do with Halo - and I understand she's entitled to her own opinions and Perspectives - the way she Portrays Spartans and Dr. Halsey is honestly just ridiculous. At every possible moment she is attacking Halsey. Through almost every character in the Book, and miraculously every character has the same opinion and talks about Halsey in the Same exact way. This is obviously Traviss personally attacking Halsey by only supplying her skewed, uneducated perspective, and Never offering up both sides of the story and allowing readers to interpret it themselves.

Maybe Halsey had a part in conscripting kids into the military and conducting experiments on them to turn them into the Spartans, but she also through these same actions saved billions upon billions of lives, not to mention the universe itself. And as we can see, her creations aren't done saving the universe.

I personally enjoy her writing style, and enjoyed every book she wrote for Gears of War, but she Obviously knows nothing about Halo and should not be allowed to Finish her Halo trilogy.

/Karen Traviss Rant]

Back on Topic. There's a pretty good note to Bioware on the Mass Effect Wiki. Does anyone know if Bioware responded to all this yet?

Rivercurse
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Bioware and Del Rey respond to the story/characther/lore butchering -

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9150901

For ease of access

The teams at Del Rey and BioWare would like to extend our sincerest apologies to the Mass Effect fans for any errors and oversights made in the recent novel Mass Effect: Deception. We are currently working on a number of changes that will appear in future editions of the novel.

We would like to thank all Mass Effect fans for their passion and dedication to this ever-growing world, and assure them that we are listening and taking this matter very seriously.

CrossFireZX5
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Bioware and Del Rey respond to the story/characther/lore butchering -

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9150901

For ease of access

So........ they're getting Karpyshyn to rewrite the entire novel? ;p

Inebriated Jedi
02-03-2012, 07:38 PM
So........ they're getting Karpyshyn to rewrite the entire novel? ;p

That would be nice. Compared to Dietz, he's like frigging Shakespeare.

hydrosugar
02-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Didn't Mass Effect fans write up a comprehensive list of errors with the novel? I saw a few of them on The Escapist.

Rivercurse
02-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Didn't Mass Effect fans write up a comprehensive list of errors with the novel? I saw a few of them on The Escapist.

Yes! Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XBpMF3ONlI308D9IGG8KICBHfWKU0sXh0ntukv-_cmo/preview?pli=1)

Opiate42
10-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes! Link (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XBpMF3ONlI308D9IGG8KICBHfWKU0sXh0ntukv-_cmo/preview?pli=1)

Old thread, I give thee life. Arise!!!!! :p

Thanks for posting the link River. That rocks.

Okay, finally got around to packing away these pages of inaccuracies. Now that I'm about 20 pages from the end....

Okay okay. It was not just a terrible read. It was an awfully terribly bad read. It's hard to make me regret something. I regret this purchase.

Even errors in lore aside, it was far beneath the maturity of writing that Drew K had set the bar at with the previous trilogy. I have no care whatsoever in what happens to the characters you give a damn about in the first three books. It loses all attachment, it's bland, it's a straightforward space action book with ME places and character names transplanted into it but could have been any names anywhere in a fictional galaxy and been equally bad.

The people who you grow to understand and care about in the original books are mere shadows and puppets here.

I cannot even imagine if Dietz A) played the games at all and B) read the Drew K books at all. His approach is so ham-fisted and amateurish it's painful to flip the pages.

Well.... in a nutshell the above link about the errors in the book is a far better and more entertaining read than the book itself. Which sadly, I find absolutely hilarious. As Jedi suggested, I now had a novel sized paperweight.

Now to salve my eyes, off to the Quarian Appreciation thread...

Bahroo3
10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Now to salve my eyes, off to the Quarian Appreciation thread...

:D Yay Quarians.

Elarris
10-10-2012, 03:45 AM
I saw this and thought that an infiltrator was going to get Zer0's deception ability. I've been playing too much Borderlands and not enough ME3.

And an infiltrator with deception instead of tac cloak would be badass :)