PDA

View Full Version : Rental Or Purchase?

TheThreeStooges
02-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if this was worth the Purchase since the limited edition is the same price as the regular retail, I was planning on getting Reckoning but kinda strapped for The Darkness 2, Is this game better off renting? or is it a purchase?

Gor1lla
02-05-2012, 04:14 PM
If you are okay buying a game with a 6 hour campaing (+ the Vendetta campaigns), then go ahead and buy it.

ChickinOnaChain
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
My way of thinking is...when in doubt, rent it first.

Recnef
02-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if this was worth the Purchase since the limited edition is the same price as the regular retail, I was planning on getting Reckoning but kinda strapped for The Darkness 2, Is this game better off renting? or is it a purchase?

The Darkness II is currently under embargo until Tuesday the 7th at 0800 EST so I cannot comment with any details, however I believe that the following observations present a reasonable, accurate, and perhaps helpful take with respect to your question...

The 6-hour estimate that is being flung about was very likely originally intended to serve as an estimate of the shortest possible play-through time but in my personal experience to obtain that result the gamer would have to ignore ALL of the supporting content, including secondary NPC chat events and skip ALL of the Cut Scenes -- among which are many with a cinematic feel that while they do break the 4th wall, add an incredible depth to the story as it plays out making them a very desirable element to game play...

I believe that a more reasonable estimate -- presuming that the gamer finds full immersion and the suspension of disbelief to be a desirable element to the game play experience, and as a result pursues all of the rich supporting material and explores each of the zones with reasonable fullness in a manner which is consistent with how the characters would in fact behave if the events being experienced in the game as part of the various plots that nicely come together therein were in fact an adventure that you were experiencing -- would be closer to 15 hours for the first play-through.

Assuming that the average gamer chooses to mount their initial play-through on the hardest difficulty level (Don) that 15 hours of estimated play time is quite reasonable, while the second play-through will take considerably longer, with an estimate of perhaps 20 to 22 hours in total (ie an additional 5 to 7 hours on top of the base 15) for fairly obvious reasons...

Assuming that the second play-through makes use of the "+New Game" option allowing the gamer to retain all of the skills previously unlocked in the first play-through on Don Difficulty, the second play-through will very likely take place using the lowest difficulty setting because it makes sense that it would...

The reason for this -- and the added hours of game play time -- relates to the completion of groups of Achievements in three distinct classes -- the first being a small group of Achievements associated with the acquisition of complete sets of each of the various skill trees, the second being the completion of a larger group of Achievements that relate to specific activities (killing X number of enemy with X weapon or X ability, and finally the need to complete the +New Game play-through itself regardless of difficulty to unlock that final class of Achievement.

So after carefully considering all of the parameters involved I feel strongly confident that an over-all estimated play time encompassing both of the full and complete play-throughs would be more reasonably estimated to be in the area of 37 hours for the single-player campaign.

When we add in the optional online multi-player Vendetta Campaign (which has 12 Achievements associated with it and not 7 which has been widely and inaccurately speculated) this adds an additional 5-to-8 hours to the game, depending, which consequently raises the reasonable estimated play-time for the game closer to 45 hours, not 6.

In Summary

Your question was if the game was better rented or purchased, and as the title of this reply clearly indicates, in my considered opinion the two more or less required complete play-throughs of the single-player campaign as well as the many sessions in the optional multi-player Vendetta Campaigns will likely be followed by a third and even fourth single-player campaign, especially if your intent is to unlock all of the Achievements -- and particularly the action-oriented ones.

Considering that the game has a higher than average replay value, it makes more sense to buy it.

floridafan765
02-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Game looks beast, but i don't know about a $60 purchase. i think i shall wait until the price drops. as for you, it's your call man. do you got an extra 60 bucks for a single-player campaign

cheevo360
02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Depending how you feel about game to buy or rent. I already preordered because I still look forward this game but yah slight disappointed with short campaign. Buy it if you don't care how short or not and just play it for fun, follow story in campaign and achievements. To rent or price down go for it then. :)

ll Mr Bubbles ll
02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
The Darkness II is currently under embargo until Tuesday the 7th at 0800 EST so I cannot comment with any details, however I believe that the following observations present a reasonable, accurate, and perhaps helpful take with respect to your question...

The 6-hour estimate that is being flung about was very likely originally intended to serve as an estimate of the shortest possible play-through time but in my personal experience to obtain that result the gamer would have to ignore ALL of the supporting content, including secondary NPC chat events and skip ALL of the Cut Scenes -- among which are many with a cinematic feel that while they do break the 4th wall, add an incredible depth to the story as it plays out making them a very desirable element to game play...

I believe that a more reasonable estimate -- presuming that the gamer finds full immersion and the suspension of disbelief to be a desirable element to the game play experience, and as a result pursues all of the rich supporting material and explores each of the zones with reasonable fullness in a manner which is consistent with how the characters would in fact behave if the events being experienced in the game as part of the various plots that nicely come together therein were in fact an adventure that you were experiencing -- would be closer to 15 hours for the first play-through.

Assuming that the average gamer chooses to mount their initial play-through on the hardest difficulty level (Don) that 15 hours of estimated play time is quite reasonable, while the second play-through will take considerably longer, with an estimate of perhaps 20 to 22 hours in total (ie an additional 5 to 7 hours on top of the base 15) for fairly obvious reasons...

Assuming that the second play-through makes use of the "+New Game" option allowing the gamer to retain all of the skills previously unlocked in the first play-through on Don Difficulty, the second play-through will very likely take place using the lowest difficulty setting because it makes sense that it would...

The reason for this -- and the added hours of game play time -- relates to the completion of groups of Achievements in three distinct classes -- the first being a small group of Achievements associated with the acquisition of complete sets of each of the various skill trees, the second being the completion of a larger group of Achievements that relate to specific activities (killing X number of enemy with X weapon or X ability, and finally the need to complete the +New Game play-through itself regardless of difficulty to unlock that final class of Achievement.

So after carefully considering all of the parameters involved I feel strongly confident that an over-all estimated play time encompassing both of the full and complete play-throughs would be more reasonably estimated to be in the area of 37 hours for the single-player campaign.

When we add in the optional online multi-player Vendetta Campaign (which has 12 Achievements associated with it and not 7 which has been widely and inaccurately speculated) this adds an additional 5-to-8 hours to the game, depending, which consequently raises the reasonable estimated play-time for the game closer to 45 hours, not 6.

In Summary

Your question was if the game was better rented or purchased, and as the title of this reply clearly indicates, in my considered opinion the two more or less required complete play-throughs of the single-player campaign as well as the many sessions in the optional multi-player Vendetta Campaigns will likely be followed by a third and even fourth single-player campaign, especially if your intent is to unlock all of the Achievements -- and particularly the action-oriented ones.

Considering that the game has a higher than average replay value, it makes more sense to buy it.
My first playthrough took around 6 hours, i didnt skip any scenes ( as i loved the first game) i managed to find 20/29 collectibles (so i wasnt just rushing through). There is no doubt this game is good gameplay wise but it is very short.

Recnef
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
My first playthrough took around 6 hours, i didnt skip any scenes ( as i loved the first game) i managed to find 20/29 collectibles (so i wasnt just rushing through). There is no doubt this game is good gameplay wise but it is very short.

I am not saying you cannot complete the game in 6 or 8 hours -- you can -- but if you play it fully that is not a realistic number...

Actually I must confess that I am shocked that you managed to complete the game in under 15 hours on Don Difficulty -- let alone completing the depth side opportunities like getting the carnival games done, the dance and impressing Dolfo...

And getting the two full talent trees unlocked for the first play through combined with doing at least two of the conditional Achievements for the first play-through... Wow. I decided to do the swarm and channeling conditionals myself and it takes real effort on my part to set those kills up. Clearly I must be doing something wrong then, because I am getting close to 10 hours at this point and I am not even close to completing the story mode.

How did you manage to do it? And how many times did you have to restart to get the 25 kills in the beginning?

XxStuartxX 1990
02-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Does the game have one of these stupid online passes?

rc deaths agent
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
I am not saying you cannot complete the game in 6 or 8 hours -- you can -- but if you play it fully that is not a realistic number...

Actually I must confess that I am shocked that you managed to complete the game in under 15 hours on Don Difficulty -- let alone completing the depth side opportunities like getting the carnival games done, the dance and impressing Dolfo...

And getting the two full talent trees unlocked for the first play through combined with doing at least two of the conditional Achievements for the first play-through... Wow. I decided to do the swarm and channeling conditionals myself and it takes real effort on my part to set those kills up. Clearly I must be doing something wrong then, because I am getting close to 10 hours at this point and I am not even close to completing the story mode.

How did you manage to do it? And how many times did you have to restart to get the 25 kills in the beginning? IMO achievements should never be considered into game length. Achievements should only be considered replay value because imo playing one section over 20 times to get an achievement doesn't count for game length.

Gor1lla
02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Does the game have one of these stupid online passes?

Nope 10char

KriugerisLT
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Too short to be a purchase. Definitely a rental, because the achievements are easy to do.

resevil239
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Rental if your not a big fan of the first one. I bought it and am not irritated by its short length (already beat it) because I LOVED the story and felt it necessary to help support the series by buying a new copy. However, if you don't feel that way I completed the campaign in about 8 hours (in one short, and one long sitting). I have yet to touch the vendettas MP portion and still want to do another play through in order to unlock more of the skill tree (a little under halfway through it).

Floorkiller
02-08-2012, 03:50 AM
100% rental.

ll Mr Bubbles ll
02-08-2012, 05:20 AM

How did you manage to do it? And how many times did you have to restart to get the 25 kills in the beginning?
I missed the 25 kills in the beginning on my first playthrough (mobster) only getting around 23 and managed around 1 and a half tree's also found 25/29 relics.
Then i played all the vendetta's specific missions, (took around 2/3 hrs solo)
Then i played the don difficulty , and was around 1,000 short of all 3 tree's and found 2 more relics.
Finally i used chapter select to find the last 2 however i messed up as i just picked up the collectible then quit but it didnt save it so i had to redo the level and play until a cutscene then it saved it.

mobster run through was around 6/7 hrs
Vendettas was around 2 hours
don was around 6 again (died a few times)
then around an hour mopping up the last few collectables

Although i have to give credit to Gorilla who pointed me in the right direction with dolfo

Valter
02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
If you're a fan of the series, get it! I loved the first one but it so far into The Darkness II it seems they've stripped the game of it's moody element that sucks you in that was evident in the first one. Either way, the online doesn't lag which is GREAT because The Darkness had terrible online.

Skititlez
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I rented it because I'm broke off my ass and want to be able to afford SSX and Mass Effect 3 this spring. I'm really conflicted though because I loved the first game so much, completely supported it getting a sequel, and I want to buy it to support the devs getting greenlit to make a third game ASAP, but I can't justify paying $60 for a game I can 100% for about $4 from Red Box. I feel like an asshole for it too. ):

the action frampton
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

In Summary

Considering you keep quoting this embargo, you sure have given us a lot of info on the game.

And I can't believe you are quoting 45 hours when almost every other comment on every other site says 15 hours for 1000G - that's a pretty massive difference.

The Dark In The Light
02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
It's strange,i've never played the 1st one as i was unsure what to make of it and saw it in every bargin bin i've come across which usually indicates one of three things (it's terrible,underrated or outdated)but for some odd reason i seem somewhat compelled to try it's successor so i think i shall rent it when the 10th comes.