PDA

View Full Version : can I use more than 4 skills in battle?

im your density
02-08-2012, 10:27 PM
I got my preorder yesterday and have played for around 18 hours. i've learned around 7 active skills from two skill trees, but for the life of me can't figure out how to use more than 4 of them from hotkeys mid-battle. it's very annoying to have to go to the menu and re-map my skills just to be able to use them when I want to. is there any way to cycle through hotkeys?

Kraderic
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
No, you can't, and I don't understand why. The PC version of the game allows you to hotkey up to 10 skills, why not the console? And even then, they could've easily implemented a cycle-system to have access to more than four skills at a time. A few noteworthy example games that have said cycle-system, two of which KOA:R are said to be closely similar to (or directly inspired from):

Fable I/II/III
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Dragon Age:O/II
Skyrim (Favorites menu)

And I've read Darksiders shares the same method, though I can't confirm because I haven't played the game.

When it comes to utilizing a plethora of skills, the developers dropped the ball. Another drawback in attempting to be a Jack of all Trades.

edit: Before anyone tells me to go and address my concerns to the devs, they've already replied to the community and the answer is a flat-out no.

im your density
02-08-2012, 10:51 PM
wow that is very disappointing. so many games to take example from and the developers chose this route? guess i'll have to get used to going to the start menu repeatedly just to use my sustained abilities.. very flawed.

IDiivil
02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
... and they encourage you to mix classes? Buh, as if I want that many skills to sift through if I do that :S Too bad it's an achievement.

Mercury
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
... and they encourage you to mix classes? Buh, as if I want that many skills to sift through if I do that :S Too bad it's an achievement.

I know right? Such BS. I have 5 skills and use about 4 different weapons, and I constantly have to hit start and remap shit so I can keep going. They could have easily implemented a system like Dragon Age 2 so you can switch between hotkeys but nooo.

IDiivil
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
I honestly don't understand why they provide such a huge radial for items on LB and yet nothing for skills o.o

Kraderic
02-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I honestly don't understand why they provide such a huge radial for items on LB and yet nothing for skills o.o

Say hello to their future MMO. HAH!

Hansathan
02-09-2012, 11:21 AM

The achievement can be gotten pretty early in the game. I unlocked it around 5-6 hours (I think it was 7 in each of the 3 trees), and once I did I've been focusing on Finesse and Sorcery.

IDiivil
02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I suppose I may as well do it, then.

Lex Talionis
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Can you get the achievement later in the game using fateweaving?

Sombix
02-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I find it interesting they did it this way due to so many other games having a good method for this problem (Dragon Age 2). I think of it like Guild Wars. You only have 4 abilities youre able to set and you need to decide which 4 would best suit for almost any situation, and if you find that a certain enemy requires other tactics then you can change accordingly. Maybe some sort of strategy involved. I dont know, thats just how I like to look at it.

Xer0 Ph0kus
02-12-2012, 12:51 AM

I just saved right before I leveled up, put 1 point in every tree then got my card and achievement. For the dual talent achievement I put 3 points in might (I'm finesse) and then on the next level saved and did the same thing, to give me 6 points in Might. It may be cheap but I wanted to be sneaky for this game.

three15
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
If you have a skill that is permanently active you can un-map it and it will remain active. I put 4 skills on the quick tree and then had 2 active all the time so i could use up to 6 at once.

xFortyseven
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Just wanted to say that you can still have passive abilities active without having them on the buttons.
example:
activate a passive ability like the assassins poisonblade, and then switch it for something else. You will still have the poisonblade effect active at all times while having 4 other powers mapped.

but yeah, wish they had done it differently.

k1ll1ng5pr33
03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Had something to do with Memory.

Onelastbreath
03-20-2012, 09:06 PM
This was definately a real shame. I only ended up using 4-6 of the skills available, too much faffing for something that should have been so simple. I personally liked the way that Sacred 2 mapped the skills like an earlier poster said.

Zenth Forbias
03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I find it interesting they did it this way due to so many other games having a good method for this problem (Dragon Age 2). I think of it like Guild Wars. You only have 4 abilities youre able to set and you need to decide which 4 would best suit for almost any situation, and if you find that a certain enemy requires other tactics then you can change accordingly. Maybe some sort of strategy involved. I dont know, thats just how I like to look at it.

Guild Wars has an 8 skill map. :P. But at least you can hotkey weapons in that game. I don't mind it so much as I'm generally someone who uses one or two specific spells/skills during a playthrough. Also, comparing it to Skyrim's "Favorite"... I found that annoying cause it really wasn't Hotkeyed all that much and was still a hassle to do, imo.