PDA

View Full Version : Free Arcades!

Vista
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Why doesn't Microsoft make more free arcade games...

I know they are against the word "FREE" and its not in their dictionary but after they released Aegis Wing I started buying lots of arcades. Since the time they released Aegis I have bought over 20 arcade games, spending 100 bucks on 1600 point cards AND 30 bucks for XBLA Unplugged... That means one arcade (5 bucks) can lead to me spending 130 bucks... Good investment for 5 dollars!

If they release 1 free arcade every two months or so a lot more people will buy arcade games!!!

FearMe360
08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
thats a point ive actually come across myself. too bad microsoft is to thick headed to realize what they could make. lol:eek:

Webb
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you guys being serious? I can't tell...

If you are.... Why the hell would they make something and give it away for free? You don't see Coca Cola giving their drinks away for free, so why would MS give arcade games away for free!!??

Vista
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
If you are.... Why the hell would they make something and give it away for free? You don't see Coca Cola giving their drinks away for free, so why would MS give arcade games away for free!!??

Umm... Aegis Wing was free, Hold 'em was free for a little bit and totemball was free, but I guess it was just a scheme to get people to buy the vision camera.

Overall if people are opened up to a the joy of arcades then microsoft would lose 5 dollars but make a lot more!

Free arcades are like a free sample, if you like them you go buy more, if you don't like it then your sample is payed for buy the other thousands of dollars microsoft makes off arcades every year.

#1 -- 45 million downloads by the end of 2007
#2 -- More than 100 XBLA games by the end of 2007
#3 -- XBLA revenue to double in the next fiscal year
Besides those predictions he also revealed that XBLA games have an average financial return of 156% after 12 months on the service and that XBLA has raked in over $30 million.

^-from XBLArcade.com

Webb
08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Hold Em was free for like 48 hours lol But I reckon that was only because of the delays that the gamers suffered.

As far as Aegis Wing goes, Europe didn't get it free, so that was probably sponsored over there.

And apparently, the less said about Totemball... The better.

Your stats have only gone to prove that they don't need to give away freebies.

Zef
08-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Free arcades are like a free sample

Strangely, so are the free trials offered on every arcade title.

If there were more free arcade games then the rest of them would become more expensive, then Microsoft would just play it smart and make all of the crappy games free (Totemball) and hike up the prices on the more popular games to compensate. Then you can't argue that there aren't any free games to play whilst busking in the streets to pay for some more Microsoft points to buy Hexic 3.

Spot2009
08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Hold Em was free for like 48 hours lol But I reckon that was only because of the delays that the gamers suffered.
I thought that was because people were pissed that they lost their sponsor (since it was originally going to be free), so MS decided to make it free for 2 days.

WiiZero
08-16-2007, 11:15 PM
lol kyle lol

LMFAO yeah free games are like trials except there's nothing to buy if you like it the only reason they make free games is:

Aegis Wing: It was made by interns as a project to test their abilities so they couldn't charge, so they figured they might as well make it available for a few extra bucks and give people a taste of LIVE arcade games
TotemBall: LIVE vision camera wasn't selling well

but never fear I hear some free games are coming out soon, like next year soon

LongJon
08-17-2007, 02:40 PM
As far as Aegis Wing goes, Europe didn't get it free, so that was probably sponsored over there.

So ya know...Europe (as of yet) do not have it all....unless they made an American acc........ah never mind ;)

TimmayTheTurtle
08-17-2007, 03:10 PM
i wish they would just make overall a lot more stuff on the marketplace free. :p

Rocket
08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Why doesn't Microsoft make more free arcade games...

I know they are against the word "FREE" and its not in their dictionary but after they released Aegis Wing I started buying lots of arcades. Since the time they released Aegis I have bought over 20 arcade games, spending 100 bucks on 1600 point cards AND 30 bucks for XBLA Unplugged... That means one arcade (5 bucks) can lead to me spending 130 bucks... Good investment for 5 dollars!

If they release 1 free arcade every two months or so a lot more people will buy arcade games!!!

Why did you spend $30.00 for XBLA Unplugged? It's $19.99 brand new at GameStop and has been for months...I think you got ripped off wherever you purchased it man...

Oh, and why is it that people want so much for free? It is a video game that someone spent time on, and would like to reap the benefits of...Microsoft is a business, and business' tend to want to make money. Free games aren't a part of making money...since Aegis Wing, the only game I bought was Sonic, and that was because I felt like burning my last MS points from when I got the Gears maps. It's like saying you want a free Retail game once a year or so. Would not make sense from a business standpoint.

o0EVIL0o x360a
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Are you guys being serious? I can't tell...

Actually Webb, Coca Cola does give away free drinks. They run promotional deals where 1 in 8 caps will have a free drink on it. It increases sales of overall coke products because people like to get free stuff. So they'll buy sodas to try to get the free caps. lol It's a common marketing technique actually. I agree with Blackvista, if they release a free arcade game every now and then, it will drum up interest in the arcade market. I hadn't bothered with arcade games either, but after Aegis Wing came out I was like hell yeah free 200 achievement points. (although I haven't actually maxed it out yet lol) But then since I was lacking in the Arcade department I actually started buying the cheapo 400 MS point games for gamerpoints.

Vista
08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Why did you spend $30.00 for XBLA Unplugged? It's $19.99 brand new at GameStop and has been for months...I think you got ripped off wherever you purchased it man...

I'm really not sure how much it was.... it was at least 20 bucks tho!

TimmayTheTurtle
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
to me 20 bucks is still a rip off

Bax x360a
08-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Microsoft dosent need to give away arcade games because the ones they are releasing are selling very well. If the sales of arcade games stalled then i could see free games to help promote XBLA, but till then why bother giving something for free when you could make money from it...

TimmayTheTurtle
08-17-2007, 03:59 PM
because they have enough money, they arnt going poor anytime soon. everyonce in a while a free arcade game would be kool

Vista
08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
to me 20 bucks is still a rip off

No its a great deal

Arcade Prices

Wik Fable of Souls-$10
Hold 'em-$10
Bejeweled 2-$10
Geomtry Wars-$5
Outpost Kaloki X-$10
Hardwood Backgammon-$5

TOTAL-$50

50 bucks worth of arcades for 20 bucks, thats a great deal!!!

SegaSaturnSNK
08-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Are you Jewish?

Lmao, cruel joke and racial but oh well, welcome to reality.

I really don't care for free games or not. Sure it's nice to have free stuff but you just can't have it all the time. If you owned Microsoft and willing to give free stuff would you? If so, you're losing business aka MONEY! So Microsoft can't be giving away free stuff away all the time. Just be grateful you have fun with your 360 and yes, Microsoft has tons of money but still, the white man needs that green no matter what!

Vista
08-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Why is free stuff being jewish? I'm just saying before Aegis Wing was released I had no intention of buying arcade games. Now after Aegis I am buying MS points almost everyweek to buy more arcades. One free arcade opened me up to 130 bucks spent...

SegaSaturnSNK
08-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Why is free stuff being jewish? I'm just saying before Aegis Wing was released I had no intention of buying arcade games. Now after Aegis I am buying MS points almost everyweek to buy more arcades. One free arcade opened me up to 130 bucks spent...

Good for you, keep spending then like everyone else is doing.

Vista
08-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Good for you, keep spending then like everyone else is doing.

lol, i know, I'm caught in the trap!!