PDA

View Full Version : First Look At The Halo 4 Armor

MixMaker1
02-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Prototype of the Halo 4 Master Chief.

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/image.axd?picture=2012%2f2%2f12%2fWaypoint_H4_MC.j pg

MixMaker1
02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Frankie mentioned that there would be reasons for the change of armor as seen in the announcement teaser trailer.

With Glasslands, we learned that the Infinity was carrying SPARTAN-IV Program Spartans on board. Could this be their new armor?

DMR117
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Its ok I like the armor from halo 3 and reach the best because they give you a lot of options. But I can see why they want to change.

DarkReign2021
02-14-2012, 03:08 AM
It's interesting to see the new direction that the Chiefs Armor is taking. Less Titanium plating and more of the polycarbonate underarmor would suggest the dominant functionality of this armor is taking a different approach from the MJOLNIR Mk. IV-VI. Less armor plating would mean this armor will take considerably less ammunition to be penetrated, which would suggest that the focus on Shielding would be considerably greater; This seems like a reasonable conclusion since the minimalization of mechanical functions within the suit would allow the backpack reactor to devote more resources to the shield system directly.

Canonically, this is the most logical assumption to be made, but technically based on pre-existing gameplay mechanics it wouldn't change much at all as Halo 2 and Halo 3 typically neglected the existence of the armor itself by allowing shield-less players to be downed easily to begin with. From an aesthetic approach, it could also be assumed that the added mobility a down-sized suit like this would allow might make for a more flexible chief, perhaps hinting at greater interaction while in the first-person perspective (hurdling obstacles like in Battlefield 3 or even a system more in-depth like that in Mirror's Edge.

The most interesting thing that comes to mind when I look at the armor is the similarities to Forerunner armor. In Cryptum it's pointed out that Forerunner armor us much like a second skin to the Forerunner and is generally unobtrusive to the wearer. The underarmor of this suit maintains a more armor-like appearance than the original mesh of the MJOLNIR Mk VI and with Humanity's obvious drive to implement Forerunner technology into everything they can, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Chiefs armor is derived directly from a clashing of Forerunner Design mixed with Dr. Halsey's own work that we're so familiar with by now.

MixMaker1
02-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Interesting tidbits from the latest Waypoint Bulliten:

To provide you with additional insight into the Master Chief’s design process, I coerced, er, asked, Kenneth Scott, Senior Art Director of Halo 4, to write this week’s OHI entry. He kindly acquiesced, so here are his thoughts on this subject matter.

Big thanks to Jessica for dragging me gently into this week’s OHI. The 343 Art Team (and 343 in general) is thundering on all cylinders, and the seismic rumble has the neighbors all up in arms. When your landlord is the UNSC, you tend to giggle when the homeowner association mail starts to pile up!

With Chief making an appearance at the NY Toy Fair, the internet has bubbled with lots of questions around Chief’s design changes. Having cut my first game developer experience on Daikatana, I’ve developed a healthy respect and fear of the internet. I will step onto a message board with all the cautious ginger one would employ pulling lost forks out of a sink garbage disposal. I did want to risk mangled finger burger to talk a little about some of what brought us to our current design.

Above all, we wanted the player to really feel what it’s like to be the Master Chief. This manifests itself in a lot of ways, and for those who read the Fall of Reach, there’s a lot of character depth behind that helmet that has yet to make its way into the game experience. Every person who was allowed to touch him had to, HAD TO, understand his history as a person. The Chief’s origin is pretty sad and grim: A strong, vibrant child stolen from his parents, he underwent dangerous bioengineering that destroyed the weaker of his friends, and trained to stomp out human Insurrectionists. Pretty morally nebulous beginnings for someone who ultimately saved humanity. Of all FPS heroes, he is distinct in that his arc is aspirational and not a cynical view of the universe.

A big focus on the Chief’s armor was his physicality and putting the player in those mighty shoes. Getting that weight across in the design had us looking at a lot of contemporary military vehicles, and we pushed detail and form into the armor that implied that history. This is the bleeding edge of military technology.

A Spartan tossing his chest plate should feel like an anvil dropping….

A Spartan sprinting across concrete should be a stealthy whisper….

Putting on your helmet should feel like powering up an F-15E….

These are the sorts of experiences we want to give the players.

Kenneth

EMP
02-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Looks a little busy around the neck area, but whatever still looks good.

Beefdagreat
02-18-2012, 06:51 PM
i think the neck has a bunch of armour because it looks like it'll hold/support a jetpack?

MixMaker1
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Not a jetpack - he has his thrusters.

But also, in the concept art, he has a backpack on in some shots. I'm thinking more customizing on what he carries perhaps. Like this prototype could be the "naked" chief per se.

LickableLemons7
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
So, this is still only a prototype, correct? 343i hasn't finalized this model?

Oh, and exceptional analysis as always, Dark.

RBmaster9345
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Actually looks pretty cool. Not sure how John will be equiped with it cosidering he hasnt had contact with any other humanity for who knows how long.

DEG23
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Actually looks pretty cool. Not sure how John will be equiped with it cosidering he hasnt had contact with any other humanity for who knows how long.

Cortana was busy in the workshop:p

I'm all for a new look but will this have any effect on gameplay?