PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 3 Already Being Planned

Weapon 117
08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey fanboys! Want to get your panties in a bunch? Start right... NOW:

Microsoft EMEA veep Chris Lewis says the company is already working on its next next-generation console because "we have to".

Preliminary work is already under way, he told UK games site Kikizo.

"You can't sit back on your laurels in this business - the consumer won't let you, the developers certainly won't let us. So that's happening right now," he said.

The research and development practices of the console division are "no different than any other part of Microsoft" though, he insisted.

The news that Microsoft is already working on an Xbox 360 successor won't come as much surprise, mind - having been last to market with its first Xbox, the company was first to market in the next generation.

Source: http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox/xbox-3-already-being-planned-208191.php

Slormer
08-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. Most companies launch something, take a short break, then immediately start on the successor.

Fonkey Monkey
08-17-2007, 10:44 PM
i dont see why people would freak out, it takes 5 years from planing to release.

Vista
08-17-2007, 10:55 PM
It is actually going to be called the Xbox Silicon if I believ. Watch the videos that came programmed on your HDD. It shows captions under each worker and a bunch say "Xbox Silicon Dev."

Slormer
08-17-2007, 11:00 PM
It is actually going to be called the Xbox Silicon if I believ. Watch the videos that came programmed on your HDD. It shows captions under each worker and a bunch say "Xbox Silicon Dev."

No, the 360 was called, or codenamed I guess, the XBOX Silicon in the early stages of development. Same with the Wii being called Nintendo Revolution, and Gamecube being called Dolphin. All just un-final names thrown around.

The Pants Party
08-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Silicon is something used in the Processor of the system...

On topic, this isn't surprising at all, and like Fonkey said, would take at least 4-5 years to hit the market.

Vista
08-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Silicon is something used in the Processor of the system...

No, the 360 was called, or codenamed I guess, the XBOX Silicon in the early stages of development. Same with the Wii being called Nintendo Revolution, and Gamecube being called Dolphin. All just un-final names thrown around.

O, my bad....

DoM cAbAn
08-17-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm in no rush at all to be buying another Microsoft system. The 360 is fine with me. Take as long as you'd like, Microsoft!

alex4283
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
ya im just getting ready to sink my teeth into the 360. I think the next few years will be the prime ones ripe for quality games. I'd like to see some more engines used besides the unreal engine though.

I don't even want to think about how much the next xbox will probably cost. My guess is that this will be my last console.

SegaSaturnSNK
08-18-2007, 12:45 AM
I won't bother with any future consoles anymore. 360 is good enough for me and I'll end my gaming with that. With these consoles breaking down and these companies rushing to release a new console to make a quick buck, it isn't even worth investing money into anymore. No thanks to whoever, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony unless Sega releases a new console which I doubt. Gaming isn't what it use to be but whatever.

Vista
08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
I won't bother with any future consoles anymore. 360 is good enough for me and I'll end my gaming with that. With these consoles breaking down and these companies rushing to release a new console to make a quick buck, it isn't even worth investing money into anymore. No thanks to whoever, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony unless Sega releases a new console which I doubt. Gaming isn't what it use to be but whatever.

So lets compare... Xbox v. Xbox 360...

There is a HUGE HUGE difference. Well worth the 400 bucks...

DoM cAbAn
08-18-2007, 01:11 AM

I guess he feels that the Xbox 360 is at the top of the systems of this age. I feel the same way. I didn't buy the 360 until this past Christmas, a while after it was released. I'll probably wait on buying this "newer" Xbox version for a while after it is released as well.

SegaSaturnSNK
08-18-2007, 03:29 AM

Big difference but it sure hell doesn't beat out a Sega Genesis, SNES, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Atari, and a NES. That's just me, I prefer the old stuff than the new shit.

Vista
08-18-2007, 03:30 AM
I I didn't buy the 360 until this past Christmas, a while after it was released.

As did I, I bought it Christmas 2006 as well... There is just so long a gamer can go w/o another "new" console.

da voodoo child
08-18-2007, 03:33 AM
its not going to come for a couple years but it is coming

infradude
08-18-2007, 03:43 AM
The orginal post of the news was 4:40 PM on Tuesday October 17th 2006. But ya it probaly is going to be a couple of years since they are alreading creating a 2008 lineup.

Apocobring
08-18-2007, 03:48 AM
It has always been that successors get released 4-5 years after the predecessor. The 360 was released almost 2 full years ago (over 2 years?) now. This is right about the time to design another project.

These projects for them are billions of dollars of risk for them. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that they are beginning to work on the next system now.

Wolf
08-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Jesus, did Wii overtake us for good this month?

Spot2009
08-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. Most companies launch something, take a short break, then immediately start on the successor.
Seriously.. I thought that's what devs usually do. They make something and throw ideas out on the next one. The next console will come out in about 5+ years, so I wouldn't worry.

Trey
08-18-2007, 07:24 AM
yeah doesnt come to much of a surpise to me mostly because i dont think they will ever stop making new constoles

M7.Ninja
08-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I wonder when it'll be out, and what it will be called...

DisposedCheese
08-18-2007, 01:23 PM
damn i wish they held the next console back a bit longer. Everyones going to scramble for the next console while i wait a year in the dark age of gamming once again.

Bluntman428
08-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I wish they'd fix their current project before taking on a new one.

I most likely won't be buying another Microsoft console until it's been out for quite awhile and it doesn't break down every couple months. Two weeks after I called in my third broken 360 to customer support, and I only just got the box today. I had to fight my ass off to get them to repair it for free. I've spent over 4 hours on the phone with customer support already. I just don't feel like going through it again.

Considering the size and corporate genius of Microsoft, I imagine the next one will be more reliable, but I'll still wait until I know for sure before buying their next product.

sln333
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I wonder when it'll be out, and what it will be called...
I think it'll be called the Xbox 720 maybe. It should come out in 2012.

Adam Miller
08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I wonder about the name oo, good to hear it wont be for a while. I just hope that Gamertags carry over. :)

icecoldassasin3
08-19-2007, 02:38 PM
i thought it was supposed to be the phantom

Danny Dibo
08-19-2007, 05:11 PM
They should call it the "Xbox Prenuptial"
Because I want documents stating if this box should break or have a falling out, I get my money back. Don't want it getting half my money like the 360 did.

PerpetualHeaven
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
The big thing I'm looking for is not more processing power but RAM. RAM is what's holding back all the consoles this generation. The GPU and CPU are incredible but the RAM can't handle that much. I'll definitely be looking for a ton more RAM and hopefully a dual GPU equipped with DX-10. May be expensive but in 3 years it shouldn't be.

SRH KRONIC
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Personally I don't want a new Xbox to come out. I like the 360.

Bluntman428
08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I think it'll be called the Xbox 720 maybe. It should come out in 2012.

Too bad none of us will be around to enjoy it, what with the world ending in 2012 and whatnot.

http://www.endoftime2012.com/

Something about the planets aligning at the bottom of the galaxy and the poles reversing I guess.

TacticalChaos15
08-19-2007, 08:01 PM
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, like a year or so after the original xbox came out they started on the 360, nothing surprising with them starting the new one. I cant see it coming out before 2010 though, I would guess christmas season 2012 but I don't know.

Mr Badkid
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Most companies don't even take a break.

P.S. - Wow, that's crazy. I was just randomly looking through the Guitar Hero II leaderboards and I saw your name. Congrats on the 1000/1000 Slormer.

Im a Manatee
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
The big problem with 360 that really bugs me is the amount of RAM, actually. If a game is going to fill that much, load times will be longer because there is 4x as much room, but the disc drive is only 3 times faster than the original box.

Sony really dodged a bullet by having 256 with a slower blu-ray drive. Sure, levels could have been bigger, but you could have expected another 3 or 4 seconds to load.

I do agree with you on the dual graphics cards, and the DX-10. It could accelerate current games and provide an earthshaking framerate when playing a game in hi-def.

However, I don't think the 360 and developers are taking full advantage of the 360's triple core processor [3.2 ghz]. Why are the dashboard and guide horrendously slow? Even if one core was dedicated to those two, why do process intensive games [Think mass destruction and different things happening repeatedly] lag? We're looking at two 3.2 ghz processing cores running exclusively for games to lag the slightest, but a gaming rig running with less beef in that area can do more with less.

To end, if we see Xbox next in a couple of years, hopefully by then Server Ram will be much cheaper to produce. For those that don't know, Server RAM is ultra dense magnet laden cards that are used buy companies all over the world, even pixar.

Alternatively, I could finally take my 1gb thumb stick out of it's packaging and readydrive my 360 with the back USB port. That would be classy.

Molneze3
08-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Too bad none of us will be around to enjoy it, what with the world ending in 2012 and whatnot.

http://www.endoftime2012.com/

Something about the planets aligning at the bottom of the galaxy and the poles reversing I guess.

I am in noooooo rush for a new system just yet. MS, take your sweet a$$ time!

and about the end of the world thingy....ahhhhh, f*** it! We'll be fine...just throw on an extra layer of coating, we'll beat the cold:drunk

Drewdude1023
08-19-2007, 08:49 PM
that whole world ending in 2012 is BS... people thought Y2K would be the end and nothing happened. I will get the console as soon as possible if it gets good reviews.

Mr Badkid
08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, like a year or so after the original xbox came out they started on the 360, nothing surprising with them starting the new one. I cant see it coming out before 2010 though, I would guess christmas season 2012 but I don't know.

dude
its 2007
the xbox 360 came out chistmas season 2005
thats 7 years
sounds like windows vista

i say announce e3 2009 and release sometime 2010

austin rules
08-20-2007, 02:55 AM
i hope it doesnt come out to soon i love the xbox 360 and there are so many new awesome games still comng out and if they come out with a new xbox i suppose i would have to buy it which proboly going to be a fucking $700 and the games will be like $80 so right now im good with just the xbox 360

Jdm
08-20-2007, 04:15 AM
We're way in the early stages to talk about the next next-gen console. I'll still rock my 360's for now and when ever M$ is ready with a new console, I'll be ready to buy one.

BackerMan
08-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I like my xbox 360 very much. Not new system but I don't mind xbox portable like the psp.

TimmayTheTurtle
08-20-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah an xbox portable would be badass.

but i think they should wait a long time for a new system. just focusing on bringing 360 to its full potential power first.

austin rules
08-21-2007, 02:48 AM
i just hope u can transfer your gamertag and your gamerpoints to the xbox 3 because it would suck soo bad if i have to get acheivements all over again

BackerMan
08-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Is this new "Xbox 720" or fake?

http://i15.tinypic.com/5xnlwcw.jpg

Jdm
08-23-2007, 04:44 AM
I like my xbox 360 very much. Not new system but I don't mind xbox portable like the psp.

^^^In the latest issue of OXM, it talks about the Zune being able to play games. I would definitely pick up a Zune if and when that does happen.

^^^Master Chief's new helmet?:p

ZKRefleX
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't think sales will be as high as this generation of gaming systems. For most gamers, the 360 generation has the graphics to keep you happy forever. I would think that a lot of people will stay satisfied with their 360 and ignore the next generation of gaming systems. I don't know if I want to play video games with graphics that are more realistic than the ones nowadays.

Im a Manatee
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM

I saw that well over two years ago when people were speculating on what the 360 looked like.