PDA

View Full Version : Peace Walker better than MGS2 and 3?

Homaz
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi,
I bought the HD Collection, but dont know which one I should play first.
Would like to hear serious opinions about the quality of the two discs. Which Games are better (to start)?
I am new in the MGS Universe.
Thank You.

Cheers.

xTGMx INF3RNO
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
I suggest doing in order of story. So mgs3>mgs2>peacewalker. What im doing. I think thats right. I no mgs3 is first its also the best :)

chronicdog
02-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Play MGS3 first. Not only is it first in the series, but its the best game and the controls are fairly modern. MGS2 might be too weird for you with the controls and bizzare characters and story/presentation, and I would only recommend playing it after MGS3 and Peacewalker, which is basically MGS3 part 2.

tehapoc
02-20-2012, 01:51 AM
I suggest doing in order of story. So mgs3>mgs2>peacewalker. What im doing. I think thats right. I no mgs3 is first its also the best :)

Chronologically, Peace Walker comes before MGS2.

Jumkah
02-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Chronologically, Peace Walker comes before MGS2.

Idd, its MGS 3 - MGS : PW - MG - MG 2 - MGS 1 - MGS 2 - MGS 4.

Thats the order I will be playing it, makes most sense when your new to the series.

FiReStOrM^
03-08-2012, 03:37 AM
I watched a playthrough of 1 to refresh my memory then I played MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS:PW.

I personally thought that was the best way

I did it this way because i wanted to play them in order of when they were made.

For example There were a lot of improvements in MGS3 over MGS2. If i did MGS3 then MGS2 I felt like it would be kind of "downgrading" if you know what I mean.

Since you are new to the MG universe it would most probably be wise playing them in correct order for the story.

So as said by Jumkah the order would be:

MGS3 - MGS PW - MGS 2

If you intend to play the MG gear games also then:

MGS3 - MGS PW - MG - MG2 - MGS2

I suggest you watch a gameplay vid of MGS1 (like i did to refresh my memory, been many years since playing it).

I have took the liberty of creating a playlist of the one I watched for you.

Metal Gear Solid Playthrough (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6ECB4691CE8DFC9)

Or you can view the embed version HERE (http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLD6ECB4691CE8DFC9) (a single full page version. Button left of change quality brings up full list)

Hope this helps.
(http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6ECB4691CE8DFC9)

markyj
03-08-2012, 03:46 AM
storywise you would want mgs3, pw, the 2 old games though i skipped these if im being honest, mgs1, mgs2 and finally mgs4 which is only available on ps3 which is annoying, as for controls i think mgs4 is the best then mgs3, mgs2, mgs1, pw and since im not a fan of 2d games gameplay i would put these here but i never played them, tho i do have them now, but you really want to play mgs1 before mgs2, don't watch a playthrough get the game its much better and will probably help you with the controls plus there are some cool stuff involved in mgs1 that play with stuff outside the game, but i don't want to say too much here, go get it and find out yourself

bob101910
04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
I did them in order of release (I've only played 1-3 in the past). MGS2>MGS3>PW I think this way is the best if you aren't watching the hours of cutscenes and just want to play because of the controls. MGS3 asks which MGS game do you like (or something like that) select MGS 2 so there's not much difference. I barely played PW, but can already tell the controls are way different.

Boss fights are always fun in MGS. Getting MGS1 somewhere is worth it (Got mine from Blockbuster 5 years ago for $1!!!!)

SnakeSTD
04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I did them in order of release (I've only played 1-3 in the past). MGS2>MGS3>PW I think this way is the best if you aren't watching the hours of cutscenes and just want to play because of the controls. MGS3 asks which MGS game do you like (or something like that) select MGS 2 so there's not much difference. I barely played PW, but can already tell the controls are way different.

Boss fights are always fun in MGS. Getting MGS1 somewhere is worth it (Got mine from Blockbuster 5 years ago for $1!!!!)

Why wouldn't you watch the cutscenes?!

tehapoc
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
MGS3 asks which MGS game do you like (or something like that) select MGS 2 so there's not much difference.

There's a purpose for that.

SM Rollinger
04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
id say its as good as 2/3, but its a different beast than those 2 games though

tysonrss
05-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Play them in order. MGS3, MGS: Portable Ops, MGS: PW, MG, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4. Never played 4 though, don't have a PS3.

Forget what everyone else says, it's their own opinion and interpretation of the games.

bapae
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
I would play MGS2 first get a feel for how the games play then go to MGS3 (Best one IMO) and peace walker last since its different then the rest of teh MGS games but still very good and lots of fun.

tysonrss
06-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Play it in order from the story.

Forget the MGS3 fanboys. In my OPINION, peace Walker is better. It's also the game that got me into the series back in 2009. Or whatever year it originally was released.

BeardedHoplite
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I bought the collection to play MGS 3, but I became obsessed with Peace Walker.
Avoid MGS 2, it hasn't aged well

XPac23
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I's stay away from MGS2 the controls are awful. It almost made me give up on the whole collection and not try the other games. It sucks because I remember loving it back on PS2.

SnakeSTD
07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
I still say its worth playing. Besides at least get some achievements out of it :)

Kaiyo
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
I played them in the order of which games came out first.

Fire Hawk D
08-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I've played the first 2 games, the GCN remake of the first Solid, and now Peace Walker. Though, I've always known that I'd love it from the previews back when it was being released, Peace Walker is definitely my favorite. The mechanics, the story, the art style...love it.

Oh, and the timeline is:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Dico
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Peace walkers the best, its a gem of a game

tony1985
07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I have to agree with the "downgrading" its so strange to go from MGS3 back to MGS2!