PDA

View Full Version : I wish it had SH1.

ViolentCabaret
02-21-2012, 02:13 AM
So I was hoping to use this collection as a chance to introduce myself to the Silent Hill series without having to start in a later title or watch the assumingly awful movie. So it's cool that this collection has SH2 and SH3, but I don't understand why SH1 is not included.

Anyone who has played it want to weigh in? Is SH1 a piece of crap? Or just not necessary to the rest of the canonical series?

merzitar
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Silent Hill is a fantastic game! I remember when it first came out; there was nothing like it out there already (it's very different to Resident Evil... even though I still prefer Resident Evil: Director's Cut over Silent Hill, but only slightly). It's a shame it won't be in the collection, but there's always a chance we'll see it if the HD Collection sells well. I don't think Silent Hill needs to be played in order to play Silent Hill 2 or Silent Hill 3. What I will say though, is that Silent Hill 3 is linked to Silent Hill, but I don't think it's necessary to play through Silent Hill in order to understand and enjoy Silent Hill 3. You could always read up on the story of the first game before you play Silent Hill 3, even though it wouldn't be the same. The movie is... ok. I can't stand video game movies (RESIDENT EVIL MAKES ME RAGE!) but I do think that the Silent Hill move is watchable and it's actually quite accurate. Of course, it doesn't compare to playing the game, but..

Anyway, I hope that information helped in some way. Are you listening, KONAMI? One way or another, people want Silent Hill on XBLA... I'd take a rushed job, seriously!!

Ceris
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I personally feel SH2 had the best story in the series, and many would agree with me. I personally liked SH3 the best, so that is 2 for 2 when it comes to the HD collection for me.

Don't worry, you won't be missing any essential story for not playing SH1. SH2 is its own story, nothing related to SH1, and SH3 is kinda a sequel to SH1, but can be its own standalone game as well.

Also, from the trend I have noticed, generally these HD remakes aren't going back 2 generations of consoles, only one. And since SH1 was 2 console generations ago, it isn't being included in this collection.

selphie38
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Well they did have that kind of reimagining of Silent Hill 1 called Shattered Memories for the Wii, maybe thats why they didn't do SH1 in HD. I'm just glad there doing 2 and 3 but maybe you should check out Shattered Memories i think i was a fun game.

[Waggly Bean]
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
SH1 is brilliant! But I believe it's available on PSN, so perhaps there is a licensing issue there.

I would seriously advise getting a copy to play, but you can start on 2 if you want as all of the games work well as standalone titles.

merzitar
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I personally feel SH2 had the best story in the series, and many would agree with me. I personally liked SH3 the best
Yes, Silent Hill 2 has a much deeper story than Silent Hill 3. I didn't actually realise how amazing, deep, beautiful, and dark the story was to Silent Hill 2 until about a year ago or so when a friend told me... now I'm looking forward to discovering all of it for myself (again?). However, the gameplay of Silent Hill 3 is better -- It's much scarier and feels smoother and more polished (then again, it is two years younger than Silent Hill 2)

dill icioius
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
i think it is a shame that it is missing... same situation with the metal gear solid hd collection. no original mgs. both ps1 titles. both sh1 and mgs are available elsewhere... but still!

if shattered memories was a retelling of the original silent hill, is that similar to what silicon knights did back on the gamecube with mgs: twin snakes? frankly, if that's the case, both of those games should have been in their respective collections. who knows though... maybe we will get lucky and get solitary xbla or god releases.

zhoban
03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes, Silent Hill 2 has a much deeper story than Silent Hill 3. I didn't actually realise how amazing, deep, beautiful, and dark the story was to Silent Hill 2 until about a year ago or so when a friend told me... now I'm looking forward to discovering all of it for myself (again?). However, the gameplay of Silent Hill 3 is better -- It's much scarier and feels smoother and more polished (then again, it is two years younger than Silent Hill 2)
While Silent Hill 3 was scarier, I think that Silent Hill 2 was more mind scarring. That part in the apartment buildings with Pyramid Head? Enough said. That gave me more nightmares than any other Silent Hill scene.

Gary Ablett Jr
03-06-2012, 06:05 AM
I was bitterly disappointed to hear SH1 wasn't in this collection. Easily my favourite SH title. SH2 did hav a better story but SH1 scared me witless. And it's tough to play today - It has not aged well at all - whereas SH2 is still quite playable. If any of the games warranted a HD facelift, it would have been the original IMO.

Cookiesh
03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
suprisingly, movie isnt really that bad, its quite good, they did what they could, and it really looks quite good, you should watch it after you play thru silent hill 1 and 2.. and ur best bet is to play on PC, or PSP, then play SH2 on Xbox360 :D Sh4 isnt really worthy imo, I never got to like it.

singhellotaku617
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
If you have a psp or ps3 you can get the original silent hill off PSN for $6 iirc
I'd prefer a copy included with this collection, or at least The Room but as neither was released on the original xbox I wasn't really expecting them. The movie isn't bad but really doesn't make up for missing the first game.

On a side note, have I really never posted on this site before?!! I created this account over a year ago and come here all the time.

Gor1lla
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
The Room was released on xbox ;)

Jimbo76
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Everybody wishes SH1 was included. and I have not heard any good reason why it isn't. its a shame.

Ceris
03-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Everybody wishes SH1 was included. and I have not heard any good reason why it isn't. its a shame.
I think it is just because SH1 was 2 generations ago. From what I have seen, HD collections are normally last gen.

singhellotaku617
03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
you're right Gor1lla (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=198733), maybe it was 3 that wasn't released on the xbox, which kind of ruins my theory about why its not included.

PBALL
03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
The exclusion of SH1 will actually keep me from buying this. That's nonsensical.

TrAvIs7
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm hoping for a complete remake to make the graphics up to date

Ceris
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping for a complete remake to make the graphics up to date
I am playing it right now, and the graphics seem damn amazing compared to the other HD remake I played, RE: Code Veronica. Everything so far is crisp and clear. I heard a sound issue when I shot the machine gun though. :(

Creazil
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I am playing it right now, and the graphics seem damn amazing compared to the other HD remake I played, RE: Code Veronica. Everything so far is crisp and clear. I heard a sound issue when I shot the machine gun though. :(

Lucky! Us in the UK have to wait til the 30th :( but hopefully it'll come a day early as I've pre-ordered online. I watched a gameplay video for SH2 and it looked VERY good. How is it? Playing SH3 first?

ThousandLegs01
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
really wanted SH1 in this since that might of ment we get RE 1 2 n 3 HD remakes

[Waggly Bean]
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
really wanted SH1 in this since that might of ment we get RE 1 2 n 3 HD remakes

Why would Silent Hill 1 being in this have any influence on whether or not we get Resident Evil remakes? :confused:

ThousandLegs01
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
since they are all PS1 titles and they dont seem to be making any remakes from the PS1 era

EliteShadowMan
03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Lucky! Us in the UK have to wait til the 30th :( but hopefully it'll come a day early as I've pre-ordered online. I watched a gameplay video for SH2 and it looked VERY good. How is it? Playing SH3 first?

Ceris apparently has been having freezing issues when playing Silent Hill 3 even with the game installed.

I've played through the majority of 2, and a little of 3 and it seems fine so far. I've had bad framerate during one cutscene, and the audio during the save has a static sound to it sometimes. Other than that i haven't had any freezes or any issues. Looks great, and plays great. I'm trying to figure out where reviewers are getting bad controls from? they seem fine to me.

Ceris
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Ceris apparently has been having freezing issues when playing Silent Hill 3 even with the game installed.

I've played through the majority of 2, and a little of 3 and it seems fine so far. I've had bad framerate during one cutscene, and the audio during the save has a static sound to it sometimes. Other than that i haven't had any freezes or any issues. Looks great, and plays great. I'm trying to figure out where reviewers are getting bad controls from? they seem fine to me.
Yeah, it froze twice during SH3, once while running down Nathen Ave. towards the Lakeside Amusement Park and the second time when switching rooms in the Amusement Park, neither save file has a single save yet. 2.5 hours wasted.

I heard an update is being created for the NA version for the PS3, and I assume the x360 will get it as well. Also, I heard that the EU release won't have issues either. I probably won't try playing this again until that update is made... Or, I might start playing SH2 instead.

EliteShadowMan
03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah, it froze twice during SH3, once while running down Nathen Ave. towards the Lakeside Amusement Park and the second time when switching rooms in the Amusement Park, neither save file has a single save yet. 2.5 hours wasted.

I heard an update is being created for the NA version for the PS3, and I assume the x360 will get it as well. Also, I heard that the EU release won't have issues either. I probably won't try playing this again until that update is made... Or, I might start playing SH2 instead.

I'd try doing that on Silent Hill 2 and seeing if you have any issues. If it starts to happen during that as well, then i think maybe you got a faulty copy?

[Waggly Bean]
03-21-2012, 08:16 PM
since they are all PS1 titles and they dont seem to be making any remakes from the PS1 era

While that's true, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill are both Konami, while Resident Evil is Capcom, so they would actually have no bearing on each other.

However, as RE 1-3 are all available through PSN, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had some kind of exclusivity on the games.

EliteShadowMan
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
;4965873']While that's true, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill are both Konami, while Resident Evil is Capcom, so they would actually have no bearing on each other.

However, as RE 1-3 are all available through PSN, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had some kind of exclusivity on the games.

Rumor has it that there's going to be a hd collection for 1-3 but only for playstation so far.

[Waggly Bean]
03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Rumor has it that there's going to be a hd collection for 1-3 but only for playstation so far.

If it's true I will definitely buy that. I'd rather have it on the 360, but I'll grab it on the PS3 if it looks like it definitely won't cross platforms. Having said that, I still have to pick up the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus pack, and all the God of War games, even though they were the main games that actually made me want to buy a PS3! :rolleyes:

Still, I suppose at least Resident Evil 1-3 would feel 'right' on the Playstation pad - that's the one advantage I guess... :p

AnthonyFallen
03-28-2012, 04:48 AM
In fact, the main reason why it was no included is that it pretty much belongs to playstation. Unlike SH2, SH3 and Sh4: The Room, no version for the Xbox was made because the game was a bit too old...

The reason why The Room isn't included is explained here by the series' producer Tom Hulett.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/22/why-isnt-silent-hill-4-in-silent-hill-hd-collection/

It appears that the only reason is that they wanted to focus on titles that fans who never played any Silent Hill game might enjoy. The fourth one being quite heavy and opressive (one of my favourite), they decided not to make it HD.

Soldiercloud9
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
In fact, the main reason why it was no included is that it pretty much belongs to playstation. Unlike SH2, SH3 and Sh4: The Room, no version for the Xbox was made because the game was a bit too old...

The reason why The Room isn't included is explained here by the series' producer Tom Hulett.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/22/why-isnt-silent-hill-4-in-silent-hill-hd-collection/

It appears that the only reason is that they wanted to focus on titles that fans who never played any Silent Hill game might enjoy. The fourth one being quite heavy and opressive (one of my favourite), they decided not to make it HD.

Silent Hill 3 never had a xbox port so based on your logic that would make it a Sony owned game as well.

Sgt Scyther
03-31-2012, 07:08 AM
No disrespect to Silent Hill 1, but it would probably look pretty ugly even dolled up in HD.

Silent Hill 4 should have been included in this though. It's weird that it's not. I know it's the "black sheep" of the franchise but it's still a solid game that's worthy of the Silent Hill title.