PDA

View Full Version : Is the Kinect dead?

MegaHurt
02-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Are there any decent games worth getting that aren't sports or games that are coming out? It doesn't seem like much news has came out as of late and I have one but it's only collecting dust on top of my TV and I'm about to trade it in.

Foxxy kyle
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Lots of fun games out there for the kinect and its anything but dead. I dont think its for certain people though and certain game types wont work well on it. In my opinion Its more of a device that can be a blast when your playing with a friend but not as much fun when playing alone. Tons of fun games to play with friends and is a blast when you are.

HugTheBear
02-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Some Kinect games I thought were good: Fruit Ninja, The Gunstringer, & Rise of Nightmares.

I haven't played Haunt, but I heard it was good.

There are quite a few games coming out in 2012 for the Kinect. I am looking forward to Ryse. Fable The Journey could be good too.

iBuzz7S
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM
As I said here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=358058), There is nothing out there that would encourage me, personally, to purchase the device.

That said, it definitely is not dead. I think a good chunk of sales is the PC market, who have taken the device and done some amazing things with it. Microsoft catered to this by releasing software so people can play around with the device, on their PC.

Broke
02-22-2012, 01:27 AM
The upcoming Star Wars and Fable games are the only reason i have kept hold of my Kinect!

MegaHurt
02-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah I enjoy some of the "party" games like bowling and sports and stuff but I really wanted them to be more innovative like some Shooters or something more original than swing a fake golf club or that half assed attempt of a fighter game that launched with it.

Dz06lt
02-22-2012, 02:10 AM
kinect was born dead, just like PS move

iBuzz7S
02-22-2012, 02:28 AM
kinect was born dead, just like PS move
Actually, PS Move is alright. They implemented the damn thing into so many games, useless or not.

At least Microsoft could of done that, but nope, they didn't. Blame the developer, blame Microsoft, it doesn't matter. Simple fact that they chose not to implement Kinect with a few older titles.

Frazerz1990
02-22-2012, 08:08 AM
I've never considered getting a kinect, so to me yeah it is dead.

rotary
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I actually just bought one this week and have been enjoying it surprisingly I'm going to play child of eden soon it looks good :D

Scienceakasyco
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
I finished a blog update on this last night. I think the Kinect is anything but dead. The games which it is merely featured in ME3 and Forza 4 show that developers are taking it seriously.

As many said when the Kinect was released, it was an experiment. It brings people who don't game often or at all into the frame and able to share in the fun.

Remember, the Kinect can do much more than games. I think the games so far have been okay. Ghost Recon will be out soon which looks impressive.

Pyrochaos
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM
"Core" games:

Fable: The Journey
Ryse
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
Project Draco/Crimson Dragon
Diabolicle Pitch
Kinect Star Wars
Bable Rising
Minecraft
Super Hypercube
Dragon Ball Z Kinect

"Better with Kinect" games:

Mass Effect 3
Binary Domain
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Power Rangers: Samurai
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '13
Madden NFL '13
FIFA '13
NBA Kinect

"Casual" games:

Kinect Rush
County Dance All Stars
Dance on Brodway
Doodle Jump
Kinect Nat Geo
Kinect Sesame Street
London 2012
miCoach
Ski Ranger
Summer Stars
Strictly Come Dancing
Top Angler: Bass Fishing
Lady Gagy: The Experience

ginge88isfun
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Some games are worth getting on the Kinect like Rise of Nightmares, Gunstringer or Fruit Ninja but I think Kinect needs to be implemented as an optional component into a major title like Call of Duty for it to gain any interest from gamers that are only interested in playing them kind of games.

ChickinOnaChain
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
If I had the room, I'd get it for my wife to exercise with. But with a very limited space between the TV and our 400lb. coffee table...about 6ft...it's not possible.

H0p3sfalL
02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Have yet to pick one up. Thinking of doing now b/c it comes with 3 games which is a good deal for the price that it is. ATM on the kinect front, things have been pretty slow imo. But im sure it will change when ME3 comes out.

The Shox
02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Quite honestly, I am having a blast with Your Fitness Evolved 2012! Looking forward for Fable the Journey and Star Wars too :)

HugTheBear
02-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Some games are worth getting on the Kinect like Rise of Nightmares, Gunstringer or Fruit Ninja but I think Kinect needs to be implemented as an optional component into a major title like Call of Duty for it to gain any interest from gamers that are only interested in playing them kind of games.

Forza 4 & Mass Effect 3 are pretty major titles. Kinect has optional components in those games.

Graith
02-24-2012, 05:59 AM
I got a kinect a year and some ago and have 20 games for it. I play it alone and with other people all the time. It's not dead and has never been dead.

SonicSpeed
02-24-2012, 06:03 AM
I hope not, i thougt kinect is used quite often

DaBearzilla
02-24-2012, 07:27 AM
My wife and kids enjoy the kinect. But im thinking it will end up like the wii we used to have. It was fun in the begining but after that we didnt plY with it at all.

mjc0961
02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Dead? I wish Sony put as much behind the Move as Microsoft puts behind Kinect. Move is dead, which sucks because I'd like to use mine for more than first person shooters and the odd Wii port.

Actually, PS Move is alright. They implemented the damn thing into so many games, useless or not.

Most of these games have it implemented poorly, though. The only ones I've tried were it was actually fun and worked well were Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 (and sadly, that's just some DLC levels that really use it, otherwise there's no difference between it and a Dualshock). Everything else I've tried didn't have proper sensitivity settings to adjust how fast you want the cursor to move and/or the game is just easier to play with a regular controller.

CORPSE THROWER
02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
I bought Kinect for $99.99 shipped with three free games. It was a BF deal so i jumped. As far as games go the best so far i played is The Gunstringer which came packaged in. Forza 4 and Kinect is just a sideshow imo. Scared to try Mass Effect 3 on Kinect.

coloneilfrost
02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
i wish..... if kinect were dead microsoft could spend more time on better exclusives instead of halo......

eli1277
02-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I bought one recently for my kids because they wanted it and they hardly ever play it. They are too addicted to Little Big Planet 2 on the ps3 I guess. I don't think it's dead with the new Star Wars game coming out for it and with PC integration being added. By the way, what is Fable The Journey?

Stumpster2
02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Scared to try Mass Effect 3 on Kinect.

Honestly give it a go with the demo, it's just voice controls (in combat and talking scenes) and it works amazingly well.

Pyrochaos
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
i wish..... if kinect were dead microsoft could spend more time on better exclusives instead of halo......

This makes no sense. 343 is working on Halo 4, and they put out a quality title before that with Halo Anniversary. Sure it had some kinect functionality, as Halo 4 will probably have some as well, but it doesn't take away from the game in any way. I just chose to keep it disabled.

Also most of the kinect games are coming from 3rd parties, with the exception of Rare.

One Winged Joker
02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I hope so. Never really liked it. :(

Big Stoz
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I think Kinnect was a stroke of genius, now all I'm waiting for is to save up enough money to build a large extension on my house, so I have enough room to play it in and have the floodlights installed so it can pick me up to play it. I can't wait.

CORPSE THROWER
02-29-2012, 04:18 AM
They need more and better games than just The Gunstringer.

xeodus9
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Was it ever alive,ps3 and xbox should leave this crap to nintendo

CaptainKicker
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
For me, personally, its dead. Sadly. Really wanted to use Kinect a lot, but never did. Sadly.

bolt5556
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Not for me. However, I have noticed the popularity is going down.

CyberPunch83
03-01-2012, 05:12 AM
I don't think we're going to see the '5-year extension' of the Xbox 360's life cycle just because of Kinect. I think if we see an extension of the 360's life cycle it will be because producing next-gen games is just too expensive right now. Basically the 360 lasts as long as people make games for it, Kinect or no Kinect.

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I really hope so. I need a controller.

Klowem
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
i think it is until better games come out

ForworN
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I haven't played my Kinect in a long time. Its more of my sisters because she got it as a Christmas gift but sometimes Ill play it depending on what game, so then I can grab a few achievements off it (:

Capn Doug
03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm going to say no. Mostly because I have 3 Kinect games in my backlog and a few more that I am looking to pick up. Kinect works very well for a few types of game, and those are games I enjoy. If you don't enjoy those types of games, then yes, Kinect holds nothing for you and it may as well be dead. I can't imagine going back to the dance mat for DDR, though.

lando27
03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Feels like Wii did a few years ago. Everyone got one, then no one used it.

ledfeather
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
as a person with a physical disability, i can only pray this motion gaming "craze" goes the hell away. i said in the early stages of kinect that it would alienate disabled gamers (which is a lot of people), and people scoffed at me, but a week after launch it was discovered it didnt work with black people, and you better believe the public noticed. the bottom line: this is a poorly thought out add-on not unlike the complete flop that was sega CD. it's not accessible to a huge chunk of the world population (because if you're too black, or a gimp it doesnt know what to do with you) and all it shows is that the biggest gaming console companies out there (sony and microsoft) are intimidated by a gamecube with a TV remote attached to it.

ive been a lifelong gamer, and i see this all just to be a gimmick. now i just have to wait for everyone else to catch up and see it too.

* Clueless *
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Only thing wrong with the connect is that there is too long a span between the release of Kinect games I am interested in playing.

I end up putting the Kinect away so it won't be damaged/covered in dust/rust (i live right next to the ocean-everything rusts!)
Then I don't care to bring it back out to play a trial or a new title.

Biohazard420666
03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I dont believe that the kinect is dead. Although I believe there should be more games out for it such as call of duty or other major title games it is still more interactive than the wii. You can cheat so easily using the wii but at least the kinect can help lose weight, keep the family active, and also reads the movements of the body.

AzfarGamers90
03-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Dead..? I don't think so because some of local game stores near my place still selling them and they even put Kinect demos for customers to come and play whenever they want...

Plus, I still using it almost everyday and since I've got Forza 4, Kinect will always been with me everytime I play the game (head tracking FTW)..

bob101910
04-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Kinect is still amazing and a lot of games coming out will at least be using it for some features.

At launch most of the games were flaky except for the ones from Microsoft. Now a lot of new games that come out work near perfect. I love not having to use a controller.

Baseball for example, I could never getting into Wii games because of the controller. Just flick your wrist to hit a homerun....LAME! For kinect, you have to actually swing your arms and step forward.

It's like that for any sport, any game.

DOOKH8R
04-01-2012, 01:59 AM
I think Kinect Star Wars will breathe a little life into it.

Wildmn34
04-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Dead? No way. MS is shoving the Kinect down people throat.

A certain segment of people love it. Some people hate it. Which can be said for pretty much anything. Personally, I'll never play Kinect, it just doesn't interest me. But, fo those that like it, have fun.

It's certainly not dead though.

Frances69
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgLots of fun games out there for the kinect and its anything but dead.

Purified666
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I think kinect is underated, sad honestly, i don't play it that much but when i do i really enjoy it, some great games out there

Benmahalf X
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I'll be getting one with the Star Wars bundle in a couple of weeks but the rooms in my apartment are so small I don't see using it very often.

Now, if I slide the doors to the bedroom open, then move the couch and the coffee table aside in the living room, I may have the room for it to register AND to play safely. (My PS Move registers, but safety is another issue in the other room/my game room.)

I am interested in Fruit Ninja, Star Wars, Steel Battalion Heavy Armor, and I do want to compare Michael Jackson: The Experience with its counterparts.

Long story short, I don't think it's dead, or that it was DOA, but it is still a developing and/or niche market in gaming.

Unfortunately, those looking for a HALO: ACE: KINECT, it's not going to happen (although I would love to armor lock LOL). Such a spin-off game in 2013 while 343 is working on Halo 5 would be interesting.

It's also worth mentioning that I don't feel the Kinect has reached its full audience/capabilities yet. Guitar Hero became so popular, so fast and ultimately released too many similar games in a short timeframe leading to its hard fall. Kinect releases have been slow and steady, and with the A-list titles coming out this year, it should be a decent year for the peripheral.

Xtowers
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
There's a couple cool games coming out on the Kinect. A Fable game and Ghost Recon. They both look pretty sweet. Hopefully they are good enough to reinvigorate the Kinect.

Fable: The Journey - E3 2011 Gameplay Demo - YouTube

Ghost Recon Future Soldier Kinect Stage Demo | E3 2011 - YouTube

Gmurray86
04-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Personally I don't think it's dead, I know a ton of people who play kinect games. My kids really enjoy them too.

nils0
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
In my oppinion I'm going to have to say yes for the moment. Sport, dancing, ect... these types of games only really last so long. They gave kinnect life to begin with but without continual support it seems to be dying out. Microsoft however, has yet to release a strong lineup of good games for actual gamers, so for me, kinnect has never really been alive to begin with. That being said however, the prospect and idea is interesting and I would love to see a good game that fully uses kinnect (not something that only integrates it i.e. mass effect/ skyrim). At this point however, it's a gimmick, and to me, not worth the $150.

newbsicle
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I recently completed Micheal Phelps: Push the Limit for kinect and did it in one standing. Get it? Usually people say one sitting, but in actuality I was standing, so I completed the game in one standing. HILARIOUS! Anyways... I liked it because it was just a game to me while I was playing it. The next day I noticed my arms were a little sore and knew I also got a small physical boost from the game as well.

The kinect has it's purpose, which is to get your butt of the couch once in a while. Maybe you're already in great shape and just want to take it easy when you play games? Maybe you don't like kinect because it's essentially new version of Simon says? Those are good reasons not to play it, but if you haven't tried it then you should.

I too was one of those people who laughed at the idea of playing casual video games on the kinect. Now I love it!

Bickle
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I like the Kinect, I think you're in a lull between the shovelware (like the Deepak Chopra "game"), and the developers that actually figured out what to do with it (you cannot tell me Steel Battalion doesn't look good, assuming it works as well as reported)

The real problem with Kinect is that it really is a bit crippled by the bandwidth (too low resolution) and the lack of video co-processing, both of which are supposed to be addressed on the 720.

I'll tell you, when Kinect is good, it's great. Dance Central, Power Up Heroes,KinectSports, Gunstringer and Child of Eden, all titles that people can be proud of.

Kinkimono
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Kinect is so much fun (i didn't like it that much in the start) once you get used to it and can play games feeling more natural about playing with your body. I doubt it will die, the more people mature the more they realise they can't just hate things without giving it a try, so more people will be able to fall in love with it.

It doesn't go as fast as we would all wish fast but not microsoft or the game companys fault it's the customers that cry as soon as something isn't free.

LindaB
05-21-2012, 04:20 AM
my thoughts exactly. I have seen a LOT of neat things done with the SDK on a PC.

HellspawnRei
05-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Kinect is not dead,it has alot of nice games,but it needs more.. lets say 'mature' games,like Rise Of Nightmares,in time it will be done.
Already some are announced.

Xtowers
05-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Future Soldier is out tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how it does.

ElementalFadeD
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
It is far from dead, it is just getting started. all though it does need more mature games.

but my kids play it all the time they love it and me and the wife challenge each other in fruit ninja.

Fable Journey looks really good for the kinect and star wars (not a big fan) looks good also.

i think with time and more games it will do just fine.

Xtowers
05-23-2012, 03:57 AM
I heard Kinect Star Wars was kind of a flop, but I haven't tried it yet.

DarkReign2021
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately I don't think it's as dead as it should be. The extent of the Kinects existence at this point is crappy arcade games and Microsoft plugs. I guarantee this E3 will consist of Halo 4 and more MS support for Kinect when they should be focusing on Core titles and bringing back the fanbase that they've alienated because of their lack of Hardcore support.

At this point the best use I've found for the Kinect is in the Optionally supported games like Mass Effect 3, Minecraft and Halo Anniversary, but disappointingly all of these things have been done in the past with the use of a mic (Rainbow Six 3 Voice Commands anybody?) For the next Xbox if they don't fix the Kinect's accuracy issues and add some kind of one-handed controller with an analog for movement like the nunchaku on the Wii, they need to just build a mic into the console since that's the only feature anybody really uses with Kinect. Sadly, though, if MS continues this Kinect-only trend, I will probably end up ditching them for a PS4 as much as I hate to say it. At least they're still focused on good gaming.

Scrapmetal99
05-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Not a fan of these kinds of things, never was. For this reason exactly, it can only get so fun before it gets boring. I havn't tried star wars yet hopefully that will keep me interested, but if it doesn't i'm trading it in as well.

Meester Mart
06-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Sports games are still the best games for Kinect!

shangri la27
07-13-2012, 04:31 AM
its still the best motion peripheral on the market. but of course its not gonna appeal to 98% of the hardcore on this site. I've used it more in the last couple days than in the entirety of the time since its release. Playfit has me off my ass, and I'm quit excited for the Nike + training game. Ach + Exercise = WINNAR

ReaptheChaos
07-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Personally I have no use for one. I simply don’t have the floor space to use it. My only hope is that they don’t start incorporating them into regular games. They need to have them either be made entirely for Kinect or made for a regular controller. I don’t mind voice commands, so long as there is a standard controller option as well.

Dirge 0
07-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Gaming wise I think it still has some steam in it, its uses outside of gaming however insure it a long life.

inSvein
08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Mine has been collecting dust since I bought it, mainly because of the space issue, but I am not selling it yet until I have tried some games with voice commands. Pretty dead to me ::uzi:

xbear352x
08-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I just recently started using my brother-in-laws Kinect, and I love the thing. The achievements can be annoying (because of physical activity required) but on the bright side it's a great way to get an extra few hundred calores burned after dinner!

Sun Rei Shin
08-06-2012, 09:50 AM
We bought it more for the kid then ourselves, but all in all its not too bad. I don't think its dead as long as they keep weaving the 'Kinect Compatibility' into every game that comes out - Some of them are a little dumb, it you ask me.

Still, its fun to kick my hubby's butt at Fruit Ninja, so I'll see what the future holds before I box mine up and stuff it in the closet next to the WII. :D

xCHICKEN DIXx
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
it was never alive or going anywhere to begin with dont no why anyone would buy this even if you have kids these types of things are strickly to pull money in unless its the light gun which is the only thing that ever worked out

ixReed
08-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I actually bought the kinect this year and I'm enjoying it. The games are entertaining, but after you beat them there is little to none replay value

volcanogirl73
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
It was great the first year we had ours. It was a hit at family gatherings with all the games for groups to do. However the most we use it for now is the workout games and the ease of the voice commands while watching movies.

I was shocked when I got Ghost Recon and it was used in the weapons custom settings. It was hard to use so I turned the feature off.

KunoichiFox
09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
To me it is just a gimmick and I am not sure if I'll ever get one none of the games seem my thing.