PDA

View Full Version : style?

Desade
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I've been burned by Carbon and Pro Street, when I was expecting more of a Most-Wanted experience. Can anyone comment on how The Run compares to other NFS games in the franchise?

AssassinDK
03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Personally I don't think it compares very well to any of the games in the franchise, single player-wise. The 'story' mode is over in around 2 hrs, and it's really not very flexible. You are basically just along for the ride, and I found it quite scripted. Like, you're racing across the US, trying to get to NY in 1st place, but you are never able to, let's say, improve your position in stages, beyond what the game tells you to. Fx, you have to be 50th when you reach Chicago, but why can't I be 46th? because it's not possible, and that gives you no incentive to replay stages, and maybe improve your position overall for later stages. There are hardly any police chases, and even in the races when there are, they are not anywhere close to as exciting as in some of the other games. And whoever thought quicktime events was a good idea, will hopefully never touch a racing game again. It still has challenge mode, if you're into that sort of thing, and in that regard it reminds more of Hot Pursuit. But if you're looking for police chases and don't own Hot Pursuit, I recommend getting that over this any day of the week. I like the idea the game has with the cannonball run-style single player, but they should have added factors like fuel consumption, tire wear, and maybe different paths to choose from at certain points. Some sort of tactical element, so the player could make decisions would have been nice. I know it's a personal opinion, and some people play this mainly for the online components, which are far better than the single player, so if you primarily play online, then the game is not bad. And the 'speedwall' where you compare yourself with your friends is a great feature, which of course is also in Hot Pursuit. There is no car custumization either, if that's your thing, although it doesn't bother me.

Blitz MMCCV
03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I've been burned by Carbon and Pro Street, when I was expecting more of a Most-Wanted experience. Can anyone comment on how The Run compares to other NFS games in the franchise?

I loved both of them games :p the drifting on carbon was awesome. In regards to the run they are totally different games that just share the need for speed name. IMO all 3 are awesome but im a sucka for the need for speed games. If your looking for a most wanted experience its not gonna happen unfortunately bud.

Personally I don't think it compares very well to any of the games in the franchise, single player-wise. The 'story' mode is over in around 2 hrs, and it's really not very flexible. You are basically just along for the ride, and I found it quite scripted. Like, you're racing across the US, trying to get to NY in 1st place, but you are never able to, let's say, improve your position in stages, beyond what the game tells you to. Fx, you have to be 50th when you reach Chicago, but why can't I be 46th? because it's not possible, and that gives you no incentive to replay stages, and maybe improve your position overall for later stages. There are hardly any police chases, and even in the races when there are, they are not anywhere close to as exciting as in some of the other games. And whoever thought quicktime events was a good idea, will hopefully never touch a racing game again. It still has challenge mode, if you're into that sort of thing, and in that regard it reminds more of Hot Pursuit. But if you're looking for police chases and don't own Hot Pursuit, I recommend getting that over this any day of the week. I like the idea the game has with the cannonball run-style single player, but they should have added factors like fuel consumption, tire wear, and maybe different paths to choose from at certain points. Some sort of tactical element, so the player could make decisions would have been nice. I know it's a personal opinion, and some people play this mainly for the online components, which are far better than the single player, so if you primarily play online, then the game is not bad. And the 'speedwall' where you compare yourself with your friends is a great feature, which of course is also in Hot Pursuit. There is no car custumization either, if that's your thing, although it doesn't bother me.

There is some sort of car customisation when your selecting your ride if you press X to select kit you can chose through 4 or 5 different body kits. but thats as far as you can go. Some of the body kits look awesome as well.

AssassinDK
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
There is some sort of car customisation when your selecting your ride if you press X to select kit you can chose through 4 or 5 different body kits. but thats as far as you can go. Some of the body kits look awesome as well.

Yeah, ok, I'll give you that one ;)
But I still think that from a single player perspective, it's a very underwhelming game, especially Hot Pursuit. And why is there only 3 camera angles to choose from? It just seems rushed. Especially when you consider all the little glitches, like the top of the head sticking through the roof on a certain cutscene, spelling errors and so on. I know they don't break the game, but it makes it look sloppy.

LankstaTDOT
03-27-2012, 02:23 AM

This game is just a piece of shit imo. Nothing compared to NFSMW, NFSC or NFSW. i got the run from one of my friends today and playing it atm just for the gs. It's not worth buying.

I mak3 big boom
03-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Nowhere near as good as NFS MW. Why can't they just make an NFSMW2? We all miss customization.

Killerchronic
03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
While i loved NFS:MW, Underground 1 and 2 were the shiz!

I think tbh undercover came the closest to MW style in terms of cops etc which was what i found alot of fun, alot of people didn't like that but i enjoyed it. This one though is an odd one. When i heard about the 1000+ mile race i thought we were actually going to get to drive all of it, not just little sections, got it on release and while it was fun for 2hrs20mins i barely touched it after.

I've just put it in again now and playing about, the challenges are actually quite tough, just start a new "the run" on extreme, i know you can get the cheevo easy but i figured the XP wouldn't go a miss seeing as level 30 is supposedly quite a grind.