PDA

View Full Version : Don't Neglect the multiplayer...

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 01:02 AM
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/03/Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer-610x373.jpg
Mass Effect 3 is about a war with the Reapers, and as you play the single player game, the people and armies whose help you earn count as War Assets. The game’s still story-driven, and it doesn’t end until you’ve completed the main series of missions. But when you do, what happens in the final cut-scene depends on how many War Assets you have accumulated.

That part is kind of cool. But the balance is incredibly harsh: I did every proper quest I could find in Mass Effect 3, made sensible decisions that didn’t conflict with my choices in the previous games, and brought people together. But I still got a gallingly bleak ending.

That’s because I’d never played the multiplayer. It’s a co-op mode where you and up to three other players have to survive waves of AI enemies and complete objectives. If you succeed, you get an increase to your Readiness rating – a percentage by which your single player War Assets are multiplied by. These are specific to each sector fo the galaxy, so if you have a lot of War Assets in the Terminus Systems, you’ll gain more by playing on a multiplayer map set in the Terminus Systems.

It’s all rather… dirty. Presumably they’re trying to encourage you to try the multiplayer because to do well in it, you have to buy or earn unlockable items, and you can get these for real money. But they’re doing it by hurting your single player game, slapping a good playthrough with a bad ending as a penalty for not playing co-op. Even if you like co-op, it’s not unreasonable to want to play through the single player first.

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/03/Mass-Effect-3-War-Assets-590x206.jpg (http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/03/Mass-Effect-3-War-Assets.jpg)

It is possible to get the best ending in single player without playing multiplayer, but it’s twice as hard. All your War Assets only count for 50% of their potential value. The biggest gains in War Assets come from a culmination of your decisions in the previous games and your decisions in this one: if you’ve helped a race before, and you help them here, it’s often possible to get their full support and resolve their conflict to get someone else on your side too.

In other situations, a wrong call somewhere along the line, or a Paragon or Renegade score too low to pick the right thing to say, can mean a character dies, a race is demoralised, and if they fight for you at all they’re worth much less to the war effort.

I said I did all the ‘proper’ quests I could find – if you want to maximise your War Assets without playing multiplayer, you’ll have to do the others. The only quests I had left were ones to scour certain systems for planets that aren’t marked on your map, scan them, then fire a probe and return to the Citadel. Even compared to Mass Effect 2′s resource-scanning, these are dull.

Here’s what I recommend: don’t. Don’t do any quests that are boring, don’t play multiplayer if you don’t want to, and don’t go through old save games trying to optimise your decisions for the most War Assets. Don’t let BioWare’s seedy design decision manipulate you into playing in a way you don’t want to.

If they’ve made a game that’s brutal, harsh and dark if you don’t play multiplayer, they’ve made a game that’s brutal, harsh and dark. That’s how I reviewed it, and it’s still phenomenal.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-war-assets-and-readiness-how-multiplayer-affects-your-ending/

Auburok
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Ugh. Such horseshit. Thanks for the warning. I didn't think they'd pull this after the achievement list came out, but I guess I was wrong.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
i really didn't expect them to go so overboard, i know for me the multiplayer seemed interesting so im going to least give it a go, but to think it really gives that much is nuts.

colt415
03-07-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm very disappointed in Bioware, but I was going to try the mp anyway.

iBuzz7S
03-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Why be disappointed/mad/angry/upset/bla? They are encouraging you to play the game as it was meant to be played, not just stick to the single player and leave it at that.

More developers should implement a similar system, where achievements online can help your single player progress by tenfold.

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 01:44 AM
I like the multiplayer, but I wasn't going to jump into it until later, this changes that

colt415
03-07-2012, 01:47 AM
I like the multiplayer, but I wasn't going to jump into it until later, this changes that

That's why I'm a little upset since I wanted to finish the campaign first then jump into the mp.

mosin360
03-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Ah, that explains why its never more then 50% and that galaxy map keeps saying its offline. Well that blows. I don't have gold and don't care to.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Ah, that explains why its never more then 50% and that galaxy map keeps saying its offline. Well that blows. I don't have gold and don't care to.

so if it never goes more than 50% does that mean theres chance of still a better ending being out if you get 100%?

Dz06lt
03-07-2012, 01:54 AM
this is complete shit IMO, this is what happens when develpers shoehorn shit into games where they dont belong

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 02:03 AM
edit for proper spacing so its not all wallotexty

Auburok
03-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Why be disappointed/mad/angry/upset/bla? They are encouraging you to play the game as it was meant to be played, not just stick to the single player and leave it at that.

More developers should implement a similar system, where achievements online can help your single player progress by tenfold.

But it doesn't increase it tenfold. There's just the random chance it could, depending on your luck with getting half-decent gear from the grab bags (otherwise, the harder difficulties are just not worth it). I guess it could increase it tenfold if you buy a bunch of spectre packs. :p

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 02:12 AM
idk how i feel about packs being purchasable with real money either

Vindicator51
03-07-2012, 02:46 AM

The way it was meant to be played was Single Player, just saying.

Tyger7
03-07-2012, 03:01 AM

Is your name Tom Francis?

cheevo360
03-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Shame I agree about it but good thing is that not affect achievements. :Bounce:

I not worry about ME 3 endings since this bit change way for endings but I am more worry if achievements affect by it but thanks god. I still will do mp for some fun with dude. So endings not important to me in ME 3 because this but I loved ME 2 endings so much :)

DEG23
03-07-2012, 03:34 AM
So people without access to Live are destined for a bad ending?

It's a real shame Bioware has done this, i know MP is not necessary to play but stacking the odds like this but then again after seeing staff members from Bioware saying you could start your Mass Effect journey with ME3, i'm not sure how much faith i have in them for future products.

As for buying MP packs with real money, isn't that what EA did with Fifa 12, yeah no one will be ME3 hacked for sure:p

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 03:42 AM
So people without access to Live are destined for a bad ending?

It's a real shame Bioware has done this, i know MP is not necessary to play but stacking the odds like this but then again after seeing staff members from Bioware saying you could start your Mass Effect journey with ME3, i'm not sure how much faith i have in them for future products.

As for buying MP packs with real money, isn't that what EA did with Fifa 12, yeah no one will be ME3 hacked for sure:p

I was FIFA hacked, dont even bring that stuff up.

JayMax
03-07-2012, 03:45 AM
On a side note, I haven't played the single player yet. I've only played the multiplayer portion with some friends. My readiness is up to 81% It wasn't hard to get the rating up, it seemed to raise it up every few games.

DopeySO
03-07-2012, 03:52 AM
On a side note, I haven't played the single player yet. I've only played the multiplayer portion with some friends. My readiness is up to 81% It wasn't hard to get the rating up, it seemed to raise it up every few games.

Good point. Ive played 2 games (about 30 minutes) and my rating is already around 60%. So thats about 10 games to max it out to 100%. Not too bad.

Of course for people that dont want to play multiplayer at all I understand your complaint.

cheevo360
03-07-2012, 03:59 AM
That good so readiness not hard and it is quick levels up to 100%? I am happy about it. Good head up on it. So then I get good ending if I do MP hehe :)

ll Mr Bubbles ll
03-07-2012, 04:05 AM
So bottom line is ANYONE can get the best ending BUT if you dont play the multiplayer you will have to do every main quest, side quest and search every planet for assests.
Whereas if you take the easy route and play the hell out of multiplayer your readiness will be 100% thus meaning you would need only half the assests (half the effort/time) as someone doing a singleplayer (50%) only route.

Kick in the teeth tbh, i personally would rather stick to singleplayer (like the past 2) than be forced into playing online to minimize boring planet scans that will take awhile to do every single one.

DEG23
03-07-2012, 04:16 AM
I was FIFA hacked, dont even bring that stuff up.

Welcome to the club, which is why i am worried about the news of buying the packs, hopefully players can't share the content which means hacking will be useless but i wouldn't put it past EA not to learn from their mistakes.

Hot Juicy Pie
03-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the club, which is why i am worried about the news of buying the packs, hopefully players can't share the content which means hacking will be useless but i wouldn't put it past EA not to learn from their mistakes.

Ya I changed my origin/ea account info to all different from my windows live id now, different email, name, everything... fuck that from happening again

Grimfel
03-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Not sure if you are all aware... but the MP readiness decreases on a daily basis. You HAVE to keep playing to keep it up. Getting it to 100% and then saying F-YOU to it will accomplish nothing unless you are going to beat the game that day...

Yet ANOTHER way they are forcing you too bend over and take it...

Auburok
03-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Not sure if you are all aware... but the MP readiness decreases on a daily basis. You HAVE to keep playing to keep it up. Getting it to 100% and then saying F-YOU to it will accomplish nothing unless you are going to beat the game that day...

Any now my plan C is in shambles. Goddamn it!

ColdSpider72
03-07-2012, 05:37 AM

It only decreases 1% per day. Even if you went on vacation for 10 days and decided not to play (Who would do that?), you would still only lose 10%.

tripleb2k
03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Thank god the MP is fun or else I'd be pissed. It's gonna suck a few months from now when the MP is next to dead.

iBuzz7S
03-07-2012, 06:33 AM
I guess it could increase it tenfold if you buy a bunch of spectre packs. :p
That's what I meant! :p

No, I should of made it a lot more clear, but it was rather more of a figure of speech.

The way it was meant to be played was Single Player, just saying.
Yeah, it has been in the past, but they are doing something different and I welcome it. Besides, if it excluded all-things from multiplayer, wouldn't people have started to complain about it being the same game all over again? ;)

Jaskier
03-07-2012, 07:04 AM
The whole "boost SP score by playing co-op" isn't so bad (IMHO), but does it mean that the Defender achievement (attain the highest level of readiness in each theater of war.) is a multiplayer thing only? Or is there a way to somehow rise the readiness level without playing MP?
Personally, I prefer to do some on-line fighting, so to get closer to 5,000 kills milestone, and not having to play errand boy running around the Citadel, piecing together tiny pieces of War Assets (some of these tasks are rather interesting though). Flying around the galaxy, launching probes, while less of a chore when compared with ME2, isn't that much fun either.

soundlessb00m
03-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually mind investing hours and hours into this game to try and do everything possible to get the best ending?

In ME2 I did everything possible to make sure the final mission ended perfect, and I will want to do the same here. I probably will play the MP to increase the readiness percentage, but if it happens in the SP on its own then so be it.

Also, I'm not so clear on the different between the N7 Missions and the multiplayer. Can't you increase your readiness percentage both ways? Pretty sure the developers said you can do this so youdon't have to play multiplayer if you don't want to. I could be wrong here though?

Auburok
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually mind investing hours and hours into this game to try and do everything possible to get the best ending?

In ME2 I did everything possible to make sure the final mission ended perfect, and I will want to do the same here. I probably will play the MP to increase the readiness percentage, but if it happens in the SP on its own then so be it.

Also, I'm not so clear on the different between the N7 Missions and the multiplayer. Can't you increase your readiness percentage both ways? Pretty sure the developers said you can do this so youdon't have to play multiplayer if you don't want to. I could be wrong here though?

Oh, I'm not against doing everything to get the best possible ending in a single player game. I just wish it wasn't such a huge bonus to people that don't mind playing another survival mode game. I'm too burned out on them to even care about this one, especially when the combat ended up like... well, this.

It's a little ambiguous right now as to what doing both does. War assets are integers, and the war map is percentages. I'm assuming those percentages effect the war asset numbers? I dunno.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM

that was the impression i was under, however people mentioned the rediness one i think it is skyrockets with mp. which is just against what they said before the game came out.

KriugerisLT
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Survival based game modes are so boring and overused. I do not care for the Multiplayer. Tried it and it felt really boring, so I'm definitely sticking with Singleplayer.

Besides, completing the game on Insanity is a lot more challenging than completing all maps on Gold.

Also, what about the Defender achievement? Completed the game, but my Readiness is still 50% :/ I really hope that it's not MP only...

soundlessb00m
03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
that was the impression i was under, however people mentioned the rediness one i think it is skyrockets with mp. which is just against what they said before the game came out.

This is what IGN describes the missions as: N7 Missions are side missions that affect your Galaxy At War rating.

The first mission is here if anyone is interested: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/N7:_Cerberus_Labs. It seems that these are readily available in the single player game?

KriugerisLT
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
This is what IGN describes the missions as: N7 Missions are side missions that affect your Galaxy At War rating.

The first mission is here if anyone is interested: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/N7:_Cerberus_Labs. It seems that these are readily available in the single player game?

No they don't. I completed all N7 missions, and I didn't get 1% more at the "Galaxy at War" status. It's bullshit.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
No they don't. I completed all N7 missions, and I didn't get 1% more at the "Galaxy at War" status. It's bullshit.

that is the complaints i heard as well and it rockets with mp. could be based on purely if you fight in reapers area though.

soundlessb00m
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Do you do them in the main game or is it a separate game mode?

KriugerisLT
03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Do you do them in the main game or is it a separate game mode?

During your singleplayer campaign. Admiral Hackett usually asks personally to do them. And they're also marked N7: (Mission name) in the Codex entries.

soundlessb00m
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
During your singleplayer campaign. Admiral Hackett usually asks personally to do them. And they're also marked N7: (Mission name) in the Codex entries.

Awesome, cheers dude!

BioWare tell us we don't have to touch the multiplayer...but you actually do.

EDIT: Perhaps they meant this achievement rather than the readiness percentage:

Tour of Duty 20
Finish all multiplayer maps or all N7 missions in single-player.

There are a total of 6 multiplayer maps, and 6 N7 missions. The N7 missions are not story related and are optional quests found within the campaign. You must actually do them all before you finish the game or you will have to resort to multiplayer in order to gain the achievement.

For multiplayer, you just have to finish all of the waves for each map. This can be done on the Bronze difficulty to make things easier.

pot
03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Straight from the developer..

Hi everyone,

I've seen some posts where there is a bit of confusion about the ability to get the "perfect ending" by only playing single-player, because if you don't play multiplayer (or the iOS game, Infiltrator) your Galactic Readiness stays at 50%.

You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings.

Here's a bit of clarification:

Your ending(s) are determined by your "Effective Military Strength" (let's call it EMS for now) bar. Focus on that bar - that is your indicator of how well you will do in the end-game.

You can maximize your EMS just by collecting War Assets in the single-player game. There is a certain threshhold of these you would need to exceed (I can't get too specific) but I can tell you there are MORE than the required amount that can be gathered in the single-player campaign.

"Galactic Readiness" is a modifier you can improve by playing multiplayer. That is to say, if you play a lot of multiplayer, you will need less War Assets from single-player to fill up your EMS bar (ie it will balance out the requirements to account for you playing in both modes). Single-player game play does not impact that bar.

EMS = success. EMS can be maximized via collecting war assets alone, even if your Galactic Readiness is 50%.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9665384

soundlessb00m
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Cheers dude!

JuSt BLaZe
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM

That's ALL I NEED TO KNOW. Thank you plenty times. Now back to SP. :drunk

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
see i had a feeling the whole thing was blown out of the water by people. i know ill play multiplayer at some point so ill be happy having it max out. as i see it and understand by that post its just a fun modification to current assets.

Auburok
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Thank you!

see i had a feeling the whole thing was blown out of the water by people. i know ill play multiplayer at some point so ill be happy having it max out. as i see it and understand by that post its just a fun modification to current assets.

After reading "I completed the game with the green gauge filled all the way - maybe a millimeter of space left - and it didn't unlock." at this LINK (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/mass-effect-3/achievement/63880-Master-and-Commander.html), now I need to figure out if it's glitched or not.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you!

After reading "I completed the game with the green gauge filled all the way - maybe a millimeter of space left - and it didn't unlock." at this LINK (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/mass-effect-3/achievement/63880-Master-and-Commander.html), now I need to figure out if it's glitched or not.

hmm maybe there was a choice where you picked 1 side and had to have both?, i heard with one of them you could get both sides on your side another instance you get one or another, one would assume if you couldn't get both only one would be counted.

if its a slither maybe you missed a mission or asset from a system?.

niko da bos
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
That's why I'm a little upset since I wanted to finish the campaign first then jump into the mp.

ya, im with you guys. still planning on finishing up my playthru before touching the MP. dont see why they should connect the two, real life me doing multiplayer should have nothing to do with video game shepard saving the galaxy.

i wouldnt even be able to concentrate, i would be worried about my people the whole time. lol, every day at work since this game came out is tortue. i feel like im just living my normal life, while the galaxy is being destroyed:(. my galaxy!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9665384 (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9665384)

great find, ive been staying away from their forums as of late. some of the people are wreckless with spoilers lol. that post was very helpful though, i dont think i've had it explained any better than that before. (assuming its all accurate lol). i would personally much rather use this MP as a form of replayability, not as a neccesity for me to have an ending with all my friends surviving :P

Auburok
03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
hmm maybe there was a choice where you picked 1 side and had to have both?, i heard with one of them you could get both sides on your side another instance you get one or another, one would assume if you couldn't get both only one would be counted.

if its a slither maybe you missed a mission or asset from a system?.

Not totally sure, I'll be honest. I'm only about a 1/3rd in to the main story (mission 4 or 5), but I've been finding lots of war assets. I'm sure I'll be smothered with them by the end. I'm just wondering when it's actually supposed to unlock: having nearly every single one save one or two, or having like, 80% of them, ala the side quest achievement in ME1.

Quickdraw
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Not totally sure, I'll be honest. I'm only about a 1/3rd in to the main story (mission 4 or 5), but I've been finding lots of war assets. I'm sure I'll be smothered with them by the end. I'm just wondering when it's actually supposed to unlock: having nearly every single one save one or two, or having like, 80% of them, ala the side quest achievement in ME1.

based on the way its worded when you take your huge fleet back to earth, so id guess least 3/4 the way through the game after you got your romance on.

Extra Saucy
03-07-2012, 05:26 PM
So for achievement purposes, I can get all of my War Assets to 100% via MP and get the Defender achievement then?

The campaign based achievement, do you just need your EMI at 100% which, as stated above, is not hindered by not playing MP but can be enhanced.

fohf
03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank god the MP is fun or else I'd be pissed. It's gonna suck a few months from now when the MP is next to dead.

Oh god I hadn't even thought of that... He's right, this MP mode will be a graveyard, I better get that shit out of the way fast.

colt415
03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Thank You now I can concentrate on the single player.

JayMax
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
So for achievement purposes, I can get all of my War Assets to 100% via MP and get the Defender achievement then?

The campaign based achievement, do you just need your EMI at 100% which, as stated above, is not hindered by not playing MP but can be enhanced.

Yes. I haven't touched the single player yet, only playing MP, and I just received the Defender achievement.

hotdogenigma
03-07-2012, 11:19 PM
And I was under the impression that not playing MP wouldn't have a bearing on how the game ends either. Perhaps I misread that, but I agree with a lot of the other posters saying this is bull shit. Why would they make a different ending if you get your galactic readiness to 100% by having to play MP? Doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still exciting to dive into this game, but I've said it all along, this is a single player game, MP has and never will have a place here.

BS411
03-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer very much in the demo but my problem is that i'd rather put as many hours as I possibly can into the singleplayer and I was planning on playing the multiplayer after I finished the singleplayer but I guess now I will have to put some time into it.

Dz06lt
03-08-2012, 01:53 AM
well im glad to hear the clarification!!!

JuSt BLaZe
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Yes. I haven't touched the single player yet, only playing MP, and I just received the Defender achievement.

Huh thanks for this and I thought it's kinda mixed into the SP.

Inexxa
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Almost two level 20 guys here and only just started to explore the galaxy on SP. Amazing game so far :) I totally love the mix between SP and MP, it makes you feel you are fighting the war with someone other than shepard and can actually contribute.

Hansathan
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Shame I agree about it but good thing is that not affect achievements. :Bounce:

I not worry about ME 3 endings since this bit change way for endings but I am more worry if achievements affect by it but thanks god. I still will do mp for some fun with dude. So endings not important to me in ME 3 because this but I loved ME 2 endings so much :)

Well consider yourself lucky then. I think the majority of people playing (or at least commenting in this thread) are disappointed because they're playing for more than the achievements. People take the story of this game very seriously, and it doesn't seem fair that all the choices you've made up to this point (even if the "right" ones) can't easily get you the best ending, and that if you want said best ending, you must play the MP (something new to the franchise and unappealing to many fans).I plan on playing it, but like so many, planned on it AFTER the main game. Guess that's gonna change for me now, too.

jack3auer
03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Well consider yourself lucky then. I think the majority of people playing (or at least commenting in this thread) are disappointed because they're playing for more than the achievements. People take the story of this game very seriously, and it doesn't seem fair that all the choices you've made up to this point (even if the "right" ones) can't easily get you the best ending, and that if you want said best ending, you must play the MP (something new to the franchise and unappealing to many fans).I plan on playing it, but like so many, planned on it AFTER the main game. Guess that's gonna change for me now, too.

not necessarily, someone else already linked it but read this..

Timmsy
03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
yeah but the multiplayer is really fun and if you have freinds it is much more fun to play with them. i much prefer jumping in to multiplayer with some freinds quickly if i havent got time to waste 7 hours of single player.

maybe if you werent a social outcast you would to play with people instead of want to do everything on your own?

ImmortalArbiter
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
yeah but the multiplayer is really fun and if you have freinds it is much more fun to play with them. i much prefer jumping in to multiplayer with some freinds quickly if i havent got time to waste 7 hours of single player.

maybe if you werent a social outcast you would to play with people instead of want to do everything on your own?

No, the multiplayer is just another horde mode with a few generic objectives thrown in. Maybe some of us are tired of having multiplayer shoe horned into every single game these days, just to add a checkmark to a list of things to make the fat cats happy (aka the "Call of Duty" syndrome).

If they wanted to do multiplayer, fine, but they shouldn't have added it as a crappy mode in the final game of a single player trilogy. They DEFINITELY should not have made it have any type of influence or bearing on the ending.

Being a "social outcast" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Hansathan
03-09-2012, 01:15 PM
not necessarily, someone else already linked it but read this..

Just saw it now, thanks. It's tougher to navigate on my phone than my lappy. Good to know its "possible" for all those opposed to MP. I'm personally gonna play the hell out of both :)

ArrowDawgX
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
No, the multiplayer is just another horde mode with a few generic objectives thrown in. Maybe some of us are tired of having multiplayer shoe horned into every single game these days, just to add a checkmark to a list of things to make the fat cats happy (aka the "Call of Duty" syndrome).

If they wanted to do multiplayer, fine, but they shouldn't have added it as a crappy mode in the final game of a single player trilogy. They DEFINITELY should not have made it have any type of influence or bearing on the ending.

I agree completely. I'm not a "social outcast" either, but I mostly prefer playing single player games and that's why "Mass Effect" has been such a huge franchise for me. What led me to this forum this morning is that I was curious to see what other people were saying about the galactic readiness rating and what effect multiplayer had on everything. It's really not right to take what has been a very personally invested single player franchise and suddenly force people to play multiplayer in the third game of a trilogy.

Now I understand, based on the link earlier, that it's not necessary to play any multiplayer at all to get the perfect ending. I hope that's true, because my first playthrough(which I'm still working on) is one I always like to take my time with and do every possible thing to try and get the best outcome. But if that's not true, then you can count this as a huge mistake by Bioware. Some people may not even have access to high speed internet and multiplayer isn't accessible for them, so you'd be ruining any hope they'd ever have to achieve a perfect ending.

I plan on playing multiplayer with my friends after I finish my first single player playthrough. But I want to enjoy that and have it affect my second playthrough, not out of necessity but simply because I want it to.

Auburok
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Agreed. I don't really care that the multi is in, but that it has a baring on a single player game that previously had no system like this in place. Honestly, if I'm going to be social with a game, it'll probably be Gears of War or Halo, since those play better (IE: I'm not playing them for the story specifically).

JayMax
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Since I'm enjoying the mp mode, I'm not really that upset about it's integration with the single player. But I do wonder with all the recent whining about the From Ashes DLC & Capcom's recent bout with DLC already on disc, if people would be upset if the mp was DLC? I realize as optional DLC a lot of you wouldn't care, but if it was realized that it was on the disc & not given away free... :eek:

Just throw a few hours into the mp, and your rating jumps. Not to big a deal.

ABD CakeTime
03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow, so many tears over an optional game mode.

SpinelesS
03-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I dont have the greatest internet connection so I never bother with Multiplayer.

I haven't played the multiplayer, but from the little I have heard about it, you just survive a bunch of waves of attacks with other players... why isn't there an Offline version with AI Partners?

Grimfel
03-10-2012, 02:45 AM
I dont have the greatest internet connection so I never bother with Multiplayer.

I haven't played the multiplayer, but from the little I have heard about it, you just survive a bunch of waves of attacks with other players... why isn't there an Offline version with AI Partners?

There is... eventually... It isn't initially unlocked, and I am not sure how to unlock it.
I assume there are AI partners... But I know you can do it offline somehow...

SpinelesS
03-10-2012, 04:15 AM
There is... eventually... It isn't initially unlocked, and I am not sure how to unlock it.
I assume there are AI partners... But I know you can do it offline somehow...

This is the first I have heard of that, Can anyone else confirm this? and if they can, do they know how you unlock it?

Grimfel
03-10-2012, 04:57 AM
This is the first I have heard of that, Can anyone else confirm this? and if they can, do they know how you unlock it?

So I was searching the web and people are saying that you can play it solo... you still have to be on live, but you can do it solo. The problem is that they always have the difficulty scaled to 4 people. So most people get raped real early anyways... Youtube supposedly had people soloing them but I didn't feel like watching the videos.

As to how it is unlocked... I still couldn't find that. But when you go to start a quick match you can set the parameters. The one at the very top says public team. It has a lock next to it on mine. Not sure how to unlock it. Maybe you set up your own match and you can make it private and then just start the game? I would try, but I am at work right now... sorry! When I get home in the AM I'll give it shot if no one has before then and let ya'll know.

O918
03-10-2012, 06:58 PM
It only decreases 1% per day. Even if you went on vacation for 10 days and decided not to play (Who would do that?), you would still only lose 10%.

i got defender yesterday about 3pm, (so 100% readiness) and i turn it on today and now im at 96%.. its still just a matter of playing 1 game (i dont think id even have to finish it if i play on silver)

Edit: i turned it back on only after about 3 hours and it dropped 1%. thats a pretty quick decline..

O918
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
As to how it is unlocked... I still couldn't find that. But when you go to start a quick match you can set the parameters. The one at the very top says public team. It has a lock next to it on mine. Not sure how to unlock it. Maybe you set up your own match and you can make it private and then just start the game? I would try, but I am at work right now... sorry! When I get home in the AM I'll give it shot if no one has before then and let ya'll know.

its got a lock on it because doing a "quick match" is asking to join public servers. it wouldnt make sense to quick match a private server. if playing with AI were an option, it would probably be under "create new match", since you would be hosting.