PDA

View Full Version : Is this game a reboot?

Doc Lolly
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
help settle a friendly dispute my friend tells me that Re4 is a reboot to the series but i maintain that it isn't since its basically just a sequel to 3 and just continues the current resident evil series in new place with a new type of infection. who is right?

AlienLocust
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
You have a case in my opinion for a very healthy argument. Given the two choices, I would agree with you over your friend that this is not a total reboot, and here are my reasons...
Most games that come out today with sequels, don't do much to change the main mechanics to their game (ex. call of duty, crackdown, battlefield, all sports titles, and many more), so it's not too often seen for a game to make big leaps with plenty of changes and be successful. Resident Evil 4's story does still pertain to the 3 before it, and some of games since the release of 4, so it is a huge story addition. Resident Evil 4 although looking better than previous RE games, is the same game and strategy (save ammo), that it always has been and will be hopefully... Im sure there are a lot more that I'm just not thinking of at the moment...
I applaud Resident Evil 4 for changing, and modernizing itself, as well as leaving what we love about Resident Evil intact. Capcom deserves a lot of credit for making this 2005 title, made it better than we anticipated, and we're still playing and talking about it in 2012. Although your friend has some valid points I'm sure... I would not call this installment in the franchise a reboot, you simply can't make 8+ games, running on the same engine, with the same options, same graphics, and same presentation, because people will become weary and bored with it, as we see with some of todays games.

UberPirateNinja
03-11-2012, 08:33 AM
or you could've just said it is a sequel, and not a reboot.

severed360
03-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Be more mature and do not play semantics with friends.

The definition of reboot is... to start over... but you are using it as slang?

Obviously your talking more specifically to do with games. I think reboot usually refers to old or stale series/genres making a comeback. The RE series never really got stale, depending on how you look at it, but it did have a drop in sales after the PS1 days. Code Veronica was great but dreamcast sales bombed... REmake is amazing but very rare, and the few on the PS2 are hardly even spoken of. That doesnt spoil the whole series, but RE4 was a pretty dramatic upgrade. IMO

Also RE4 had a major overhaul of the engine, game play and graphics, from that of which previous games were based upon... (obviously). I dont know if changing the gameplay and graphics is a reboot or not but it certainly well maybe considered, even if the series was still popular. Infact more people miss the "old" style RE over the new "reboot" version... well they could at least bring back more puzzles and locks.

And to be honest, for me RE4 was a reboot for all of gaming/shooters. I was getting bored with last gen before RE4 came along, and looking back at RE4 now it almost seems like it was the first next-gen and should have been xbox years ago, but i wont get into that.

Anyway companys dont make games with the idea of what could happen in 10 years from now. RE8 could be a tie in of sorts but if the style of game is different is it truely the same series?? Only Shinji Makami has that answer for RE fans, not Capcom... the real reboot is happening right now with all the 3DS ports and RE:OpRC... but i might check out RE6 if they get it right.

Now if you would like to discuss the semantics of what a zombie is :) please, we could be here all day.

shinobigarth
04-10-2012, 12:02 AM
in short, no, its not a reboot. continues the series showing what Leon does after becoming a Secret Service agent or whatever it is. the Las Plagas is just a new type of infection that works differently than the T virus.

oOKaizerOo
04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
As reboot is more of a telling of the same story in a different way (Like saying the T-Virus in Raccoon City wasn't a virus, but a parasite). This is a completely separate incident from Raccoon City, and a separate resident evil. A continuation of Leon's story. A reboot would be telling the same story about Leon differently, changing details.