PDA

View Full Version : First Review

jeremyh120
03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Game Informer gave it a 7

I'm not usually one to let reviews decide if I buy games or not, but one thing that does bother me is that they said it wasn't scary... That's disappointing. Hopefully the guy who wrote it is just a badass.

iBuzz7S
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
but one thing that does bother me is that they said it wasn't scary...
"Each to his own" fits well for that. Did you hate (insert game here)? Because I probably find it to be one of the best games of this generation.

Anything over 7.0 is decent. Saying the game is not scary, maybe this person did not play the game properly? Maybe his setting was in a busy atmosphere, getting up every few minutes and playing without sound?

I think it's best for fans to be the judge of it, not a reviewer who maybe has no love for Silent Hill whatsoever.

EliteShadowMan
03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Well they gave homecoming a 6.5. So if this is slightly better then I'm happy

Suki
03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
yeah 7 for this type of game is a really good score did u see wot 'i am alive' got.

Ceris
03-10-2012, 07:26 PM
The HD collection got a 7/10 from OXM. So it seems consistant throughout the series. I never listen to reviews because most of them are just bs. They gave SH HD collection a 7 because of "clunky controls" WTF? The game is fucking from like early 2000s, of course its controls suck.

/rant

EliteShadowMan
03-10-2012, 11:01 PM
The HD collection got a 7/10 from OXM. So it seems consistant throughout the series. I never listen to reviews because most of them are just bs. They gave SH HD collection a 7 because of "clunky controls" WTF? The game is fucking from like early 2000s, of course its controls suck.

/rant

Gameinformer gave it an 8. They said it had clunky controls as well, and that gamers new to the series would be put off by the aimless wandering that you do in the game.

FLIPADELPHIIA
03-10-2012, 11:31 PM
its not that bad. It plays like homecoming. Not bad at all. Im about 1hr1/2 - 2hrs in and only have I achievement though. Just a little side note though, when you get the game, install it to your hd because for some reason when your playing off the disk, the game jitters around a bit sometimes

Born Apophis
03-12-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm playing it too... I liked the game, would give it a score between 7,0 - 7,5 ; it's a nice change of scenarios and the rain thing. But it's a Silent Hill after all.

About the jitter, I instaled it on a Pendrive, but still have this problem in some parts... will try the HD instead.

Bloodrune
03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
IGN gives Silent Hill Downpour 4.5 "Bad"

HabsCen10ial
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM

That's a real shocker. Can you post a link to the review.

FLIPADELPHIIA
03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
That's a real shocker. Can you post a link to the review.
I honestly wouldnt call the game bad. If your a fan of the series youll enjoy the game. After playing through the game several times heres my final review: Overall the game isnt bad at all. The combat system can get very very annoying, especially on hard. Getting the achievement to go a whole game without killing any monsters is proving to be the toughest. Your allowed to incapacitate them, which means you can beat them up until they fall down and start having like a seizure, but the problem is half the time they get back up and your forced to hit them again if you cant run away, and sometimes it will kill them right away. Youll know there dead if there body disappears. I still dont have this achievement because its just too frustrating when Im trying to capture and get pics. Also keep in mind that you cant get the side quest achievement and kill no monsters achievement in one play through because one of the side quests requires you to kill waves of enemies. Im not 100% sure if you can incapacitate all the enemies in the bank side quest, but im telling you right now, its hard enough when im allowed to kill them

The game can also be very glitchy as far as going through door ways and movement. but if you dont mind playing through the game multiple times, then just give it a try. If your not going for achievements, simply progressing through the story might net you around 150-200 gs

HabsCen10ial
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I just meant it's a real shocker that IGN game it a low score. I know I will enjoy the game even if it has it's problems.

From what I hear the other websites seem to be giving it an average score of 7/10 - 8/10.

EliteShadowMan
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Not really a shocker that IGN gave it a bad review, they're always trolling with their reviews for the past couple years.

Ceris
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
This site is listing the different reviews.
http://shshatteredmemories.com/blog/2012/03/11/downpour-review-round-up/

SideshowN
03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
What disappoints me with this game is that the graphics just dont look on par with Alan Wake. I also dont like that the items and weapons you pick up arent shiny enough and can easily be overlooked. I wouldnt go as much to give it a 4.5 but so far from what I've played its not better than Homecoming.

EliteShadowMan
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
What disappoints me with this game is that the graphics just dont look on par with Alan Wake. I also dont like that the items and weapons you pick up arent shiny enough and can easily be overlooked. I wouldnt go as much to give it a 4.5 but so far from what I've played its not better than Homecoming.

Graphics don't make a game.

tg rico72
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Graphics don't make a game.

True, but when you play a game that does have sub par graphics you expect there won't be much texture pop in and frame rate drops every 10 seconds. There is no excuse for that.

HateCrew720
03-13-2012, 04:55 PM

You can't spell ignorant without IGN. You have to see things in their perspective though: "If it isn't Call of Duty, it sucks"

EDIT: Here's IGN's video review for those of you who haven't seen it Silent Hill Downpour - Video Review - YouTube

SideshowN
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
True, but when you play a game that does have sub par graphics you expect there won't be much texture pop in and frame rate drops every 10 seconds. There is no excuse for that.

It baffles me the game got delayed last year for so called "polishing up" yet QA couldnt see these frame rate issues or the devs couldnt fix them in time? The texture pop in does look bad at times but I think its a very common issue to the Unreal Engine and have seen it in many games. Anyhow, I'm still grateful that we have a new survival horror game to play because it seems like this current generation just doesnt have too many of these games available.

Bushin Berto
03-26-2012, 07:37 AM
It really is a shame they couldn't polish this great game a bit before release.