PDA

View Full Version : New Engine or Reach Engine?

RippinTags
03-12-2012, 05:49 AM
I was wondering if any of you guys think Halo 4 will have a new engine or a modified Reach engine.

crazy W01f 816
03-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Halo 4 will be using a modified version of the Reach engine.

xxx orange
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Every halo game has the same engine just heavily modified, we are still playing on the Halo:CE engine, weird I know >>.<<

MixMaker1
03-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Halo 4 will be using a modified version of the Reach engine.
This - it has been confirmed.

More on it: http://youtu.be/84NvXh6OqEA (30 seconds in)

LTC PUDIE 42X
03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Every halo game has the same engine just heavily modified, we are still playing on the Halo:CE engine, weird I know >>.<<That's like saying a 1960s/70s 350ci motor is the same as any modern 6.0 yes their based on the same block but far from the original.

DarkReign2021
03-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Ever major Halo Title up to this point has been built on a new engine actually. Each engine has been built from the ground-up with 100% unique lines of code. Every feature that the games have shared up to this point (for example, Weapons and vehicles) have been inputted and emulated on the new engine based on the pre-existing artistic assets of the previous game.

This is why balance and tweaking between games is so important. Everything is determined in numeric values and the numerics are different between games, so where the Halo 1 pistol might've been set at an 8, the Halo: Reach TU pistol, which is supposed to be a mirror image of the original, could possibly be set at a 12 because of the differences in the engine. Emulation is never 100% accurate because hardware and software differences between two platforms is to great.

To date the only 2 Halo games to not run on a new engine are ODST and Halo: CEA. Halo 4 will be the first of it's kind to re-use an engine on a major release.

Colby
04-21-2012, 03:28 AM
^
Very Educational

LuridShadowX
04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Halo 4 will be the first of it's kind to re-use an engine on a major release.
Which is because 343i are new to full-fledged game developing and don't have the experience Bungie had. I'm sure Halo 5 will have its own engine by its time, assuming 343i will have the knowledge to do so.

DarkReign2021
04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Halo 5 is almost assuredly going to be a launch title for the new Xbox or close to it, but either way it's going to be on a new console and it's going to need a new engine to take full advantage of that system. I'm certain 343i will develop a new engine themselves, but even if they don't I'm sure they're contract a company to design one for them, perhaps Epic or Id. I don't think and definitely hope they don't contract something like the Unreal IV engine. As much as I might enjoy the Unreal engine in games like Mass Effect, Halo has always fared best on its own.