PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Gaiden 3 OXM Review

Foxhound300
03-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Leaked details of the Xbox Magazine show that they give it an 8 out of 10, but they say it's a significant step back for the series. They still praise it as one of the better action games on the Xbox, but honestly when the only other good Ninja Gaide-equse games on the Xbox are Devil May Cry 4 and Bayonetta, that isn't saying much.

Also OXM reviews are notoriously biased. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this game take home the gold, but almost EVERYTHING the gamespot article on the review (the review isn't actually out yet, but information and the score has been leaked) is negative, yet they still give it an 8/10. Look at these bullet points

QTEs can be turned off in the options menu, but are frequent throughout the game, from a slow- motion knee slide to slicing through enemies to using the Kunai climb.
Playing as Ryu makes you feel like a super hero as he is nearly unstoppable, meaning you wont die as nearly as much as in previous games.
Five difficulty levels: Hero, Normal, Hard, Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja.
Gone is every primary weapon save for Ryus single sword (You still have shurikens).
No yellow essence currency from killing enemies or opening chests.
You are stuck with a non-upgradable sword and Ryus health regenerates after each battle, so health restoring items have been excised.
Ninpo has become a use it or lose it perk that powers up during each encounter.
Limb removal is gone.
Campaign is split into eight days and the story runs circles around the other games.
Bosses are nowhere near as memorable or numerous as youd expect from a Ninja Gaiden game.
Only one cameo from a Dead or Alive character, Ayane.
You can lower the difficulty at any point in the game.
Ninja Cinema returns.

Thoughts? Reactions?

I mak3 big boom
03-16-2012, 03:18 AM
I'm really worried about this game.

Exhausted Dad
03-16-2012, 05:38 AM
I'm keeping the faith :p. At least they have took their time with this game and that usually means good things. No other weapons though nooo I can't believe they took them out, that my good sir blows.

Foxhound300
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
I will say this, there are certain parts of the game that many people will see as negative that I can understand the logic behind. For example

-Health regeneration
Makes smaller fights easier but larger fights harder. Think about it, now you can't heal against bosses or when an enemy gets off a lucky shot.

-Non-upgradable weapons
This means you can't farm yellow essence, which was the only way many people got through Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja.

-Set, single use save points
You can't use save glitches or other tricks, or beat a group of enemies and then run home to save.

-Ninpo
I assume this means that you can't spam Ninpo spells any more, which was another way many people got through Ninja Gaiden 2. However I'm still not exactly sure how Ninpo works, considering how incredibly powerful it seems to be now.

The QTEs are still questionable if only due to their pervasiveness. Turning them off sounds good in theory, but then how are you supposed to know when they are/what buttons to press? Yes, you could theoretically memorize them (I doubt these are Resident Evil level of QTEs where the button combos change) but if they're as wide spread as the review suggests, that'll be a challenge in itself.

Dark Anaconda
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I have a big amount of informations but its a big huge spoiler ,i won`t post them ,all i can say is ,that the spoiler is giving you informations about all boss fights and other things.

In respect for you guys ,i won`t post it here ,i am just saying that you can get many informations about NG3 since yesterday.

jackofblades
03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
oh how i hate the QTE on Res 5 they was not fun, but this is still looking good

Foxhound300
03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
RE5's QTEs were nothing compared to RE4s. RE4 actually had frequent QTEs, rather than just 6 in the whole game.

That's the nice thing about NG3's at least, they seem to be obvious and consistent, but who knows, that could change.

Devolon
03-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Full review:

http://www.oxmonline.com/ninja-gaiden-3-review?page=0,0

Good news (for me): looks like mission mode can be done solo.

Bad news: ultimate ninja difficulty is DLC. Will it be free or premium DLC? Place your bets.

jackofblades
03-16-2012, 08:01 PM
I reckon they will charge us now lol i mean we get 2 weapons for free

Devolon
03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I reckon they will charge us now lol i mean we get 2 weapons for free

My bet:

- All NG2 weapons + Dabilharo split in 4 weapon packs worth around 200MSP each.

- Story mode Ultimate ninja difficulty at 1200MSP

- Since there are only 6 MP maps and 10 co-op maps, at least one pack worth 800MSP.

- Some extra skins and costumes for SP and MP.

- New achievements for everything, just to make sure you buy them.

Don't forget this is tecmo/koei, aka dynasty warriors publishers. They're not really into free DLC.

Foxhound300
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't know, they did say the weapons were going to be free, at least in Japan. Keep in mind that Microsoft is the one that makes everyone put price tags on their DLC, which is why Valve left TF2 to rot on consoles.

I'd say that new missions will be MSP but weapons and the hardest difficulty should be free. Well, at least that's what it would be if it was a fair world. We'll just have to wait and see.

rc deaths agent
03-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I reckon they will charge us now lol i mean we get 2 weapons for free LOL, i know right? And this " After finishing Ninja Gaiden 3, we went back and played Ninja Gaiden II to remind ourselves how it truly felt to cut people down." It sucks but i think NG3 will be a rental for me :(

Zero619
03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Ninja sounds like it will make NG 2 Master Ninja look like a walk in the park :eek:

Dark Anaconda
03-16-2012, 11:40 PM
But if you think about NG3 then you will recognize that NG3 is still much better than any other Action/Hack n Slay Game in this year, so just buy it even it has some..lets say "doubtful" changes.

I can feel your pain ,i am a NG Veteran too ,but one thing i learned from all of those years: If you expect to much from one thing ,you could be disappointed in the end.

Its hard but if you go with this in your mind ,than you can still love NG3 even with his new changes.

I pre-ordered it ,for me all of the NG games are amazing in their own way.

For example:

Ninja Gaiden Black: A classic Ninja Gaiden Game ,this presents Ninja Gaiden how it should be, just classic and perfect.

Gameplay: 80% Story: 20%

Ninja Gaiden 2: I call it "The Revenge of Hayabusa"
Extremly brutal and violent, pure badass power, in NG2 Ryu is really enjoying killing everything which comes in his way ,its like he is saying: "Fuck`em up"

Gameplay: 80% Story 20%

Ninja Gaiden 3: Ryu Hayabusa (showing the human aspects of his life)

Gameplay: 50% Story 50%
__________________________________________________ __

Thats how i feel personally.

I bet the Ultimate Ninja Mode in NG3 has the same difficulty like Ninja Master Mode in NG2.

Devolon
03-17-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't know, they did say the weapons were going to be free, at least in Japan. Keep in mind that Microsoft is the one that makes everyone put price tags on their DLC, which is why Valve left TF2 to rot on consoles.

I'd say that new missions will be MSP but weapons and the hardest difficulty should be free. Well, at least that's what it would be if it was a fair world. We'll just have to wait and see.

Agreed, and for the record I hope my predictions are wrong, I just don't trust them. DMC collection looks more and more like a much safer and better deal TBH (unless Capcom somehow managed to screw the ports up).

Foxhound300
03-17-2012, 01:30 AM
May I remind you that the last time Capcom did an HD port they just took the 480 and stretched it. I don't trust Capcom to tie their own shoes.

jackofblades
03-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Why would it be a problem with DMC HD, not long to ng3 now :D

Foxhound300
03-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Just read the OXM review and they actually don't seem like complete idiots in this review. At least they acknowledge that many fans won't be happy with some of the dubbing down.

Dark Anaconda
03-17-2012, 03:12 AM
the changes in NG3 are still better than the changes in DmC "Emo May Cry".

Now THIS is really fucked up my friends, they destroyed everything in their so called "Reboot" with DmC ,but thats another topic ,but the DMC HD Collection is still kickass too.

I say: screw DmC ,say yes to the DMC HD Collection and yes to NG3.

And about the review thing: i don`t care about the opinions of those review things, i would rather talk and listen to the opinion about somebody who played, beat and completed all of the NG Games.

Anyway my friends ,3-4 days left and we can play NG3.

My Most Wanted Games:

Ninja Gaiden 3
Dead or Alive 5
Devils Third
Resident Evil 6

I was waiting so long for this...now the time has finally come! :woop:

jackofblades
03-17-2012, 09:46 AM
:) yes it has been a long wait just hope they arnt going to release tons of dlc this time round

i think it be time to leave this forum for few days monday... as people seem to have fun ruining things

danksch
03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
My bet:

- Story mode Ultimate ninja difficulty at 1200MSP

You mad, bro ?!

rc deaths agent
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM
You mad, bro ?! He should be, and so should you. I can understand having to UNLOCK a difficulty level but PAYING FOR ONE?!! It's beyond rediculous imo.

Foxhound300
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
But it isn't confirmed so there's no reason to be mad...yet.

Rune Ocarina
03-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm kind of worried about the direction where NG3 is going but I'm still willing to give it a chance. The quick time events having an option to turn off lets me believe that Team Ninja actually listened to protests when they first showed it. A developer that listens to its fans gives me some hope that the developers know what they're doing. I just hope I'm now wrong =(

BIG L RETURNS
03-18-2012, 03:08 AM
All I can say is FUCK.D.L.C.

Don't make me pull money out of my ass to get shit I should get through playing the game.

Foxhound300
03-18-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm kind of worried about the direction where NG3 is going but I'm still willing to give it a chance. The quick time events having an option to turn off lets me believe that Team Ninja actually listened to protests when they first showed it. A developer that listens to its fans gives me some hope that the developers know what they're doing. I just hope I'm now wrong =(

You do know that "turn the QTEs off" just means that the button indicators are gone, right? You still need to press the buttons.

jackofblades
03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
All I can say is FUCK.D.L.C.

Don't make me pull money out of my ass to get shit I should get through playing the game.

Well that wont happen now will it :P lucky enough to get 2 weapons for free should be happy with that

Rune Ocarina
03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
You do know that "turn the QTEs off" just means that the button indicators are gone, right? You still need to press the buttons.

Bummer! I was hoping that wasn't the case. Ah well, I saw a video of a guy playing yesterday and at least they didn't slow down the action as much as the E3 video.

SoloistProdigy
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Official Xbox Magazine UK review 8/10 also

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39359/reviews/ninja-gaiden-3-review/

jackofblades
03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Official Xbox Magazine UK review 8/10 also

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39359/reviews/ninja-gaiden-3-review/

You do know its the same.. right

nateredish
03-19-2012, 03:09 PM
IGN just gave it a 3/10. That's not good at all.

jackofblades
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
its funny how many people so scared about this game about these stupid scores they give

IGN allways gives shit scores for anygame so this doesnt count for anything

Devolon
03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
And CVG gives it a 8/10 and says it's the best game of the series:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/340487/reviews/ninja-gaiden-3-review-less-brutal-less-sadistic-and-better-for-it-review/?page=1

I like the "die hard fans will hate it" disclaimer they use, like OXM did. I think we're going to see that line in a lot of reviews, no matter the score.

jackofblades
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
if people dont like it they dont HAVE to get it nobody will force them lol

a7x4lyf3
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
IGN gave it a 3... No wonder why I never liked them.

Foxhound300
03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
if people dont like it they dont HAVE to get it nobody will force them lol

Again, that's not the problem for many people. Lots of people were looking forward to this game, and if it's bad then there's a lot disappointment to go around.

The worst part about all of this is that there might be a strong desire to "fix" these problems, which will lead to punishing those people who bought the first edition of the game because they won't have the "full" edition.

DOPE BOI
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
As I said before, I feel like I'm playing Ninjas Blade, not Gaiden.

This game is a 6 or 7 to me. Not in the same league as the others but not total crap either. If you are looking for and comparing it to the NG games that we all love, then yes it is a turd. If you look at it as just a Ninja game its a 6 or 7.

The QTEs are not hard but way too frequent. By the time you reach the 2nd level you will be burnt out on them. They're not even used in clever or refreshing ways, and they same ones are recycled over and over. This is such a departure, that I want to cringe every tome I have to climb a wall, which is a lot.

Foxhound300
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Just a reminder of how much weight IGN's score system carries.

http://i.imgur.com/NPp26.jpg

DOPE BOI
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Just a reminder of how much weight IGN's score system carries.

http://i.imgur.com/NPp26.jpgLMAO. Classic

MachineAres
03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I know its really hard to believe, as Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite series of all time and NG2 is easily in my top 5 360 games of all time, but I'm playing NG3 now and it is absolutely atrocious. It doesn't even feel like a Ninja Gaiden game. It runs at about half the speed as NG2 and it doesn't even feel like you're controlling Ryu, he just does stuff at random to make the camera zoom in and do stupid cutscenes for every enemy you kill. I want to take this game back and get a refund :(

I'm playing on Hard (the hardest difficulty unlocked at the start) and the enemies largely just stand around and shoot you. There isn't even an actual challenge where you have to learn new techniques to get good at it, it just throws you in with about 8 really cheap enemies at a time and you repeat that wave for the entire section you're in, about 10 times.

Foxhound300
03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Really cheap enemies

Sounds like you're complaining about the difficulty by calling enemies cheap. That implies that it's hard.

MachineAres
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
There's a difference between something being what I'd call "challenging hard" versus "cheap and stupid hard." When something is challenging, it actually requires a skill set or memorization of patterns or techniques to pass and some kind of strategy in place to overcome it and feels rewarding when you accomplish it. Ninja Gaiden 2 was challenging hard, but this game is more of the cheap and stupid where you just feel like you have to get lucky and overcome some absolute stupidity by chance, since the game limits your ability to actually pull off moves and basically makes it like a button mashing game where you might pull off some moves and you might not. The controls are sluggish as all hell and the move sets are so dumbed down that it really just comes down to a large percentage of chance.

The game teaches you nothing in the tutorials or the manual and I've had to learn everything myself, and even after I've learned everything I can, I still feel helpless against fighting 6 guys with guns and/or rocket launchers and 4 dogs all at the same time. You just have to keep playing the same part over and over and failing until you finally just hit a weak spot in the AI, instead of having to think about how to overcome it and using some of the things at your disposal to tactically completely it.

Spartanwarninja
03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't trust any reviewer giving this game a 8.

IGN was on point for this one. Love em or hate em. They had the balls to point out what the other reviewers didn't.

Seraphim17
03-22-2012, 01:51 AM
I just played the first level on Hard straight off the bat. You move from cutscene to cutscene killing enemies. Ryu is sluggish with half his attacks taking control away from you. I was actively punished for using advanced techniques the first two games had taught me.

Instead of fighting groups of taxing enemies they throw 30 dumb flunkies at you in a row.

This is not the best game in the series by any standard. This is Dynasty warriors with a dragon sword. If that's your thing - you'll love it. If you like Ninja Gaiden, it may just make you cry.

a7x4lyf3
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't trust any reviewer giving this game a 8.

IGN was on point for this one. Love em or hate em. They had the balls to point out what the other reviewers didn't. It's not about having balls at all... The game is good, while it doesn't have ALL the elements a Ninja Gaiden game has it still feels like a Ninja Gaiden game, I'm not disappointed, I played through and loved the story, completely opinion orientated for this game, you love it or hate it. As for IGN, nobody cares about them because they're cod fanboys and any game reviewed by them is lucky to receive anything above a 7 if it doesn't surpass cod in their eyes, and the only games to receive a 9 or higher are the games that are suppose to be AAA titles, lastly IGN only points out the obvious negatives in games and degrades the score greatly depending on that, they NEVER tell you what's good about it...