PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock? Buy, Rent or Disregard?

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Trying to get a general opinion of the game from what you guys think. :uzi:

Cold Rival
08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I didn't enjoy the demo. I think it was because it took so damn long to download (over 11 hours!! :eek:)

However, I've read more reveiws, looks at achievements and seen video's and to be honest, I think it's a really great game. The download time just tainted my experience, thats all. I might pick it up sometime soon, but for now, it's Assassins Creed all the way, baby!!

TheTenthArmy
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm buying.

Reviews have been excellent. Demo was good, but like you said, a real pain in the arse to download.

Should be worth a couple of playthrougth's at least, and at 20 hours of gameplay to complete, a definate buy for me.

Maka
08-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm buying.

Reviews have been excellent. Demo was good, but like you said, a real pain in the arse to download.

Should be worth a couple of playthrougth's at least, and at 20 hours of gameplay to complete, a definate buy for me.

Thats what the developpers said ;)

Lets just say this, there's 7 Levels (Plus "Wlcome to Rapture (Demo Level)) and each level takes about an hour, unless you spend hours looking in every corner mutliple times. It takes aout 10 hours average, and a lot less on easy.

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm buying.

See the reviews and buzz are what's getting me but i wanted to hear something from people who's opinions I respect other then faceless reviews. I def appreciate the feedback.

Lets just say this, there's 7 Levels (Plus "Wlcome to Rapture (Demo Level)) and each level takes about an hour, unless you spend hours looking in every corner mutliple times. It takes aout 10 hours average, and a lot less on easy.

So, 10 hours on average to beat the game..would this go as a rental for you?

codedigital
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
See the reviews and buzz are what's getting me but i wanted to hear something from people who's opinions I respect other then faceless reviews. I def appreciate the feedback.

While Maka might be doing it in 10..other people on the forums have reported playing for 20-24 hours.

I took my time and made it to level 3 last night in probably 3 hours. So it looks like 1.5 hours for me. But I'm sure the later levels will take me longer.

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
While Maka might be doing it in 10..other people on the forums have reported playing for 20-24 hours.

I took my time and made it to level 3 last night in probably 3 hours. So it looks like 1.5 hours for me. But I'm sure the later levels will take me longer.

Yeah I'm considering that too, I tend to enjoy the scenery and look for secret stuff so I'd probably take longer. And I feel if I go balls to the walls and play through a game fast I don't enjoy it as much, so your right 10 hours of gameplay is probably going to be on the quick side of playing this game, while i'll be on the slower side.

Exane22
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
If you take your time and try to get everything it will take you upwards of 20 hours to beat. I put in 6 or so last night im in love with this game, it sucks you in like your nothing ;) A must own if you consider yourself a true gamer imo.

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 01:27 PM
;) A must own if you consider yourself a true gamer imo.

Oh man now a shot taken at being a true gamer, i guess that and the great reviews/poll results are making me have to stop at EB after work.

codedigital
08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Wait a minute...Maka you're wrong man...there are more than 7 levels. There's 15.

Maka
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Wait a minute...Maka you're wrong man...there are more than 7 levels. There's 15.

Seriously? My bad, its just that when I beat some levels and got to the elevator looking thing there were 7 options (6 of them were blank) So I assumed there were 7 levels. Oops.

Personally, if it were a 10 hour game than I would buy it regardless. But its more of a 20 hour game (I thought there were 7 levels but there are 15, Ive heard) And you can play it multiple times through. I wouldnt rent it because I enjoy playing through games very slowly. I bought it yesterday, played for 2 hours, and spent the rest of the day playing Dirt and Guitar Hero, just so I could play the game for a longer period. Thats what makes me a horrible gamerscore whore. You should buy it, a true gamer would ;)

codedigital
08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Level names listed in the spoiler.

Level 1: Welcome to Rapture
Level 2: Medical Pavilion
Level 3: Neptune's Bounty
Level 4: Smugglers Hideout
Level 5: Arcadia
Level 6: Farmer's Market
Level 7: Restoring Arcadia
Level 8: Fort Frolic
Level 9: Hephaestus
Level 10: Rapture Central Control
Level 11: Olympus Heights
Level 12: Apollo Square
Level 13: Point Prometheus
Level 14: Proving Ground
Level 15: Fontaine

DaKing240
08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I am going to be completely honest,

Bioshock is the best game I have played on the 360 - in terms of single player. However, the game doesn't have any multiplayer, and if you have the time to invest into it... I would consider the game a rental. I just don't see anything that would make me want to play it more then 2-3 times with the exception of the achievements. I guess its up to the person paying, cause in my mind, I would rather invest in something that I can play nightly, rather then occasionally.

codedigital
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM

Bioshock is the best game I have played on the 360 - in terms of single player. However, the game doesn't have any multiplayer, and if you have the time to invest into it... I would consider the game a rental. I just don't see anything that would make me want to play it more then 2-3 times with the exception of the achievements. I guess its up to the person paying, cause in my mind, I would rather invest in something that I can play nightly, rather then occasionally.

If it's really that good you don't think you'll pick it up in a couple of months to play through the story again?

I'm glad they left the multiplayer off honestly. I hate it when they tack it on like they did with The Darkness.

Exane22
08-22-2007, 02:21 PM
If it's really that good you don't think you'll pick it up in a couple of months to play through the story again?

I'm glad they left the multiplayer off honestly. I hate it when they tack it on like they did with The Darkness.

Agreed bc then you have to win 250 games on a shitty multiplayer that is absolutly no fun whatsoever. They always have to tack on those last gay achievements in multiplayer :(

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 02:46 PM

First off, thanks for feeling brave enough to give your honest opinion. I completely understand what you mean, a recent example of something with great 1 player but lousy/little multiplayer is the darkness, which sucks because they just threw it together and it's not solid multiplayer. But the 1 player was def worth me buying it, and if that's the case with this, I'll be buying this as well

Agreed bc then you have to win 250 games on a shitty multiplayer that is absolutly no fun whatsoever. They always have to tack on those last gay achievements in multiplayer :(
EXACTLY!, i still havent had the guts to try and go back online with the darkness

Krueger
08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
buy this game could be a contender for game of the year this game rocks the replay value is so good i gonna go though at least three times

antilucid
08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I rented it. If I need to play it anymore past that, I will borrow it from a friend.

Paul2504
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Definately gonna buy it. I thought the demo was great.It was a bit annoying that it took me 7 hours to get it but that made it feel even better when i got to play it. Unfortunatly the game isn't out in the UK till friday.:mad:

sln333
08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Hey I don't know what's up with all these people taking so long to download the demo. It took me an hour and a half to get! Based off of the demo, reviews, and gameplay I've seen I would definitely buy this game. It appears to be the best single player experience ever on the 360 other than Oblivion (or better if you didn't think Oblivion was great). The Unreal Engine 3 shows itself off with the amazing graphics, and the emotional response this game gets out of you is amazing. Buy it or else!

PerfectAnt
08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Definitely a requirement for any xbox360 library. Smooth graphics, no real issues. Great story which wil keep you interested for several hours. I do agree with the comments however on multiplayer, but know if they did one it would be much the same as that rediculously bad darkness multiplayer. you'd most likely only have access to either weapons or powers during the match. I prefer they didn't ruin the game in that way.

Zef
08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm buying the game, the demo was well timed as I wasn't 100% sure before it came out. After playing through it a few times it was pretty obvious that this was going to be a very likely candidate for game of the year, so my mind was settled =)

If you are having doubts about it then rent the game first, but since the demo is free and less hassle you should just play that. If it still isn't enough then sell your 360 and move to the Himalayas.

M7.Ninja
08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Buy it. I will as soon as I can openly find it (on holiday, won't be playing it even if I find it, until I go home).

Damyantk
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Buy It Now!

Monsterbox
08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
It's not about being a 'real gamer' or about 'game of the year', it's about how much you want to be connected to your gaming experience. BioShock stands alone as the one true instance of interactive storytelling. And not just in the way of "of course there's a storyline", but actually giving the compelling feeling of being involved in something. This is how you feel when you watch an excellent movie, or read an amazing book. You can rent it and blast through it and get all the achievements and throw it away. But you selling the game, and your experience of it, short.

There are so many ways to experiment with this title, not just with the combat and upgrade options, but with how you choose to play the game. Sure, there's the moral questions of what to do with the little sisters, but there's also the audio 'notes' left around the facility by the residents. The little moments that tell stories in and of themselves. Sure, you could rent it and beat it, but you cannot truly experience BioShock in a rental. And this is a game that deserves to be experienced.

Slarak
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I rented it yesterday morning and I gotta admit its a really good game, but I wouldnt pay the full $60 for it . Definitly a full rental right now. No multiplayer kind of contributes to that.

elsmitmyster
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Pre-ordered my copy last week after playing the demo thru TWICE (very unusual 4 me 2 do). I love the art style, sound and general atmosphere. Above all it comes across as something different from the normal generic shooters clogging up the 360's library. The lack of multiplayer doesn't bother me at all.

DevilJin6Six6
08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Definately a must buy, i sat down at eight thirty last night and didnt look up at the clock until three, had to work in a few hours so unfortunately i had to shut it off

TacticalChaos15
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
BUY IT, it is probably the best single player game I have ever played. You don't get emotionally attached (like the darkness) but this game has better cinematics, it is amazing. The story is fantastic, the plasmids are incredably well done, there is a surprising amount of weapons and secrets. I am on lvl 5 right now and it has taken me like 6 or 7 hours, and that is with exploring everywhere. I still like it and I will probably play through it a few more times. I am also glad there is no multiplayer, look at the Darkness. The multiplayer took away from that game, and I feel it would do the same to this game.

Exane22
08-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I rented it yesterday morning and I gotta admit its a really good game, but I wouldnt pay the full $60 for it . Definitly a full rental right now. No multiplayer kind of contributes to that.
Why would you not pay a the full 60 for this game, it offers a way better gameplay exp then any other shooter out there. Please i would like to no why its not worth your almighty 60 dollars. Its the highest reviewed game ever (or so i hear) its a contender for game of the year and its been out 1 day. Why do the devs who created this magnificent game not deserve your 60 bucks, please i really would like to no. BC of no multiplayer, well that is a bunch of crap. Not every game has to be a multiplayer. Besides as many have said it would ruin this game if they just tacked it on. Plus that means more things that could go wrong for this game which would mean more production time and blablablaabla. IMO they earned my 70 whatever dollars i spent, fully.

TacticalChaos15
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Why would you not pay a the full 60 for this game, it offers a way better gameplay exp then any other shooter out there. Please i would like to no why its not worth your almighty 60 dollars. Its the highest reviewed game ever (or so i hear) its a contender for game of the year and its been out 1 day. Why do the devs who created this magnificent game not deserve your 60 bucks, please i really would like to no. BC of no multiplayer, well that is a bunch of crap. Not every game has to be a multiplayer. Besides as many have said it would ruin this game if they just tacked it on. Plus that means more things that could go wrong for this game which would mean more production time and blablablaabla. IMO they earned my 70 whatever dollars i spent, fully.

It isn't the highest rated game ever, however it is the highest rated game on the next gen systems, it is also highly recommended by every single review website or show ever, I bought the LE and love it. I agree with exane. What part isn't worth your 60? Would you rather have multiplayer that they through on in the last few weeks with horrible lag and un original play to taint the amazing experience we know as Bioshock. I mean come on Slarak, you cant say that a game is " Really good" but not worth a buy because it doesn't have multiplayer that rivals GOW or something ( especially since GOW single player sucked and its multiplayer is fulled of glitchers). Not to flame you or anything, just backing up Exane22.

PerfectAnt
08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Same here sat down at 6. watched he opening trailer (before hitting start) and looked up and it was 1am already.

Walcherina
08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Definite buy, a great innovative game.

Justicezero
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
It isn't the highest rated game ever, however it is the highest rated game on the next gen systems, it is also highly recommended by every single review website or show ever...

(numbers to back up tacticalchaos)
97/100 metacritic review. It's also the highest scoring game on the full xbox360 game list.

1. Bioshock 97/100
2. Gears of War 94/100
3. Oblivion 94/100

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bioshock?q=bioshock

Krazie
08-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Game of the year -- Best single player FPS experience I have ever had. It's a game you can pick up in a year and play through again and still be in awe.

Buy it.

thecrazyguy
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I would say a buy deffinetly! It's a fantastic game, probably one of the best on 360 so far, and it's quite long so it will last you a good while. Plus like everyone's said, it is good for at least a couple of play thru's.

Fritz White
08-23-2007, 01:02 AM
This is one of those games for me. I picked up my pre-order at 10 AM yesterday. I didn't stop playing until 8:30 this morning. My sleep pattern is fucked up now. I just lost all track of time. I was playing and I was like, "Oh, it's night," then "Oh, it's morning, wow, I'm tired." I understand now why the guys that made this game look so pasty and awful in the bonus DVD now. They've been WORKING. The game's so detailed and deep. I'm playing on hard and I'm pretty sure I'm not halfway through the game. I'm in no rush. I'm really enjoying myself here.

We'll see how long my girlfriend puts up with this. I plan on going for the whole 1000.

Night45Fox
08-23-2007, 01:13 AM
its a definite buy, i bought the LE, not great but for 10 $ more its worth it

great game, unless u just want achievements,

moltingmordecai
08-23-2007, 03:04 AM
I agree that the people who spent every waking moment of their lives working on this game for the last 4+ years ABSOLUTELY DESERVE our 60 bucks. If you don't buy this game you are helping to ensure that irrational games won't be making any other games with a decent budget! You owe it to yourself and them to make the purchase!

This also happens to be one of the few games that you can start playing, look up at the clock "after awhile" and boom, six hours have passed! totally immersive, totally re-playable!

outlawtrigger
08-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Rent it at roger video 5 day rental... easy to beat in 5 days

Dpzano87
08-23-2007, 04:46 AM
I've been playing for a good 5 or 6 hours and I love it so far. Definatley a buy.

n8iv3
08-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Numerous posts with alot of well thought out arguements as to why you should buy, but having played through the game, finding every diary, i can honestly say i wont be playing it again. I am thoroughly and utterly done, has nothing to do with getting all the achievements either, as i have gone back to play blood money and oblivion even after finishing all the points in those games. Considering how amazing this game is, i wish i could think of a reason to go back and play it again, but i cannot. rental :(

Acrid Placidity
08-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Multiplayer doesn't ruin games. If it's a good game, it's a good game. Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid both recieved 10s from IGN. At that time, a 10 Zelda was the first ten rating they'd ever given a game. MGS was released later and it also got a 10. Someone please check whether this game received a 10 from IGN or max (5 star) anywhere else. It's a good game. But definitely could use some work in areas. I'd say rent it if you just wanna play it to play it. Buy it if it's something you think you'd like for a while.

Seeing as how this is apparently the site to use:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/n64/legendofzeldaocarina?q=ocarina%20of%20time

MrRedrum
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Someone please check whether this game received a 10 from IGN or max (5 star) anywhere else.

IGN gave it a 9.7/10 as for anywhere else I can't remember all of the sites but it received a few 10/10's.

As for whether or not someone should purchase this game... I would say without a doubt you should buy it. It's something that definitely needs to be played without question. It is a game that REALLY needs to be added to your collection, especially if you enjoy FPS's. This game is a sign of all of the awesome games that are just on the horizon. Also, it truly shows what someone can do when they sit down, get to know the console that they are going to be developing for and just get everything done correctly.

The game has all the makings of a Blockbuster cinematic experience and the story from a hit novel. As someone said earlier, each little diary brings you deeper and deeper into the world of Rapture letting you know a little more about what the hell really happened there. It is completely immersive and makes you want to keep playing and playing and then play some more! If you do rent the game I think you would be hurting yourself in the long run because you may feel initially accomplished as soon as you beat the game and 'lose' the urge to play it again. But once that urge comes back, and it will MULTIPLE times, you'll have to rent it again and again. Buy BioShock, you won't regret it.

Justicezero
08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
We'll see how long my girlfriend puts up with this. I plan on going for the whole 1000.

Luckily, like condemned, this is one of those great games where you could just watch someone play for hours. So my gf loves it when I get a game like this with a gripping storyline and a dark and scary feeling. But we also like horror movies and suspense. She loved condemned and from the demo this seems to take alot of the errie sound techniques and close quarter combat elements of that game, so i'm definately sold on buying this game..and she'll be happy too.

Sanction
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I rented it from Gamefly...so I have lease with an option to buy. ;) [/Fletch]

keene oh
08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Definately gonna buy it. I thought the demo was great.It was a bit annoying that it took me 7 hours to get it but that made it feel even better when i got to play it. Unfortunatly the game isn't out in the UK till friday.:mad:

Paul,
Something to consider... if you pre-order the games you are definitely going to buy from Game.co.uk, the order is processed and dispatched to arrive on your doorstep on launch day.
However, it seems that in order to prevent complaints from customers if the disc does not arrive on launch day, they send them a day early to be sure.
My copy of bioshock arrived this morning and i have hit it for 5 hours straight already.

It's a fantastic game, great graphics and sound and the gameplay is very immersive.

A definite buy.

ArneZ
08-23-2007, 04:44 PM
bougth it, love it....playd it all day, cant stop:drunk

Yorchi
08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Play the demo (it should download way faster now), read through the list of achievements and ask yourself if you will continue to play it over and over again after you beat it a few times...from what I've seen, the achievements aren't really that hard to get and it's nothing you have to spend lots of time doing...just something to do within playing the game a few times

I have not bought it...but I beat the demo, read the achievements, and realized that my 60 dollars can be better spent on something else...

now before I get flamed, here is MY reasoning:
1) I have a wife and 7 month old daughter that each need more time than a gamerscore does
2) The time I do have to play games isn't a few hours a day anymore...it's maybe an hour here or there on whatever days my wife works and daughter lets me play by taking a nap
3) Because of reason 1 and 2, I don't have the time to walk around a game anymore and admire every picture on every wall and think of many different ways to entertain myself in a game...I used to do that in high school with every game I had to make sure my money was well spent and put to good use...
4) I'd rather spend 6 dollars on a rental for a week or two (Blockbuster) and use the other 54 dollars to take my wife and daughter somewhere and spend time with them...

those are my reasonings for not buying the game...just because it's game of the year, or the best game ever created in the history of ever is not a good reason for me...I will buy Halo 3 because I can play it in 30 minutes at a time for a very long time thanks to multiplayer and GTAIV for the exact same reasons...

I wish I had the freedom to play games like you guys still do...enjoy it while you can fellas

Exane22
08-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Sometimes it is about more than renting to get the score and thinking you cant play agian. People put their time, money, and lives into making some off these games, are they not deserving of our money even if you only get one play through. Think about it the more money they get from this the more they can put into there next title. Plus other companies will see how great of a job they did, how much money they made and say "huh i bet we can do better" and boom we get another great game. The more money we put into games now the more we will get out of games in the future ;)

Yorchi i completely understand were you are coming from, you need the money for your family. That is the right thing to do. But those of you who say "ooo this game doesnt come with a multiplayer, they dont deserve MY money" why dont you take a step back, stop thinking about yourself, and then relize how much of a complete tool you are being.

Fritz White
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Game's long as fuck, but it's beautiful. It's so much better than so many other campaigns in so many ways. If you get wrapped up in the game and start exploring stuff it will suck up your time fast. Not a great game if you don't have time to play it. I'd recommend it to anyone though that wants a nice, long worthwhile campaign.

Slarak
08-23-2007, 06:48 PM

1. It took 3 days to beat
2. Multiplayer adds longevity to a game
3. Some people don't have the change to spend $60 on a game.
4. After beating it the only other thing you have to look forward to is "Hard" mode.

I'll possibly buy this when it goes down to $30 off of ebay.

Gaz2k7
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Well i Have mine preordered the collectors edition at Game but today I went in they aint got none delivered yet so im contemplating going up the 24hr asda at 12:01 in the morning as they already have stock.

Bax x360a
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I'd say if you can rent or borrow this from a friend for a week or longer then rent/borrow because you should be able to run through it twice and get all the achievements in a week. If not, its a must play so deffinately worth a buy...

italianstallion
08-25-2007, 02:47 AM

I feel the same way, amazing game. But, I think people should buy it just to support the concept of a creative work of art.

Acrid Placidity
08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
[quote=MrRedrum;374098]IGN gave it a 9.7/10 as for anywhere else I can't remember all of the sites but it received a few 10/10's.quote]

My mistake. I meant EGM magazine.

Altimus
08-25-2007, 08:03 AM
The demo was good but I wasn't too excited about it. Probably didn't out enough time with the demo.

But I rented it from GF and after a day and half bought it from them! I am loving this game so far!

el_rezzo
08-25-2007, 05:30 PM
This is a Gamerscore forum so I can understand the bunch of people looking at this from an achievement point of view.... but if you want a deep, involving shooter (half-life kinda thing) then definitely a purchase. The best 360 game I've played so far (Crackdown and Oblivion were other games that impressed), and I know I will play this through a good 5 or 6 times in the next 12 months just trying out different combos and attack strategies.

flip
08-25-2007, 06:05 PM
after completely playing this game through and then some, i've come to realize that King's comment is probably the most perfect comment on here. This game(even though being really great looking, story and everything) i can't see myself playing this game nightly for weeks on end because there is no real reason to do so except to look at the amazing art in this game. i bought it because i got it early at TRU and i wanted to play it(for 48 bucks nontheless). but to be honest, if i didn't have this chance, i would have just rented it this week once it realeased on the actual street date for the fact that after beating it about twice and getting all the achievements and whatnots, there is no difference in the game everytime like say oblivion. no different enemy placement, no different tactics that the enemies use on you except have more health and hit harder, just the same thing every time. so all in all, if you love single player games, buy it. otherwise, just rent the game and you should definitely be able to beat the game within one rental.

www.myspace.com/whalter
08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I Bought it first day.

In the tin box at no extra cost - brilliant!

If I had the cash I would have bought the limited edition version with the big daddy toy!

Superb game - shame it doesn't have a multiplayer option - that does mean slight lack of longevity, but you ca't really minus that from what is a superb shooter!

Glad to see the "don't buy it option" has zero votes!

russell1190
08-26-2007, 03:38 AM
You should definatley buy this game it is exellent

killerharu45
08-26-2007, 06:13 AM
its absolutly amazing. the graphics and gameplay is so much fun. and there is so much you can do . theres so many ways to strategize

Winwood
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Absolutely buy. Great story, well paced, emersive, amusing, etc ...

:D

Taco Ruler
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
i think it was a great game realy loved it but yet i spent $50 to beat it in 2 days...but i missed some achievements so i will play thro again.
personaly i say rent it:(

Harbinger PR
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
An absolute buy for me, the game shows you such a unique setting and experience, a world never seen before that it takes you in deeper just so you can discover how this "Utopia" came to be.

tarheeltay
08-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Even though i agree that it's a great game, i would say rent, because I've had it 5 days and I've gotten all the achievements, and it kind of makes playing it again less appealing, it would have more staying power for me if the story line went a little longer, or maybe if there was multiplayer, but I guess we'll just have to wait 'till Bioshock 2 for that.

Graham31004
08-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I had this game pre-ordered and It didn't disappoint! Two Worlds however is a different story. The storyline of this game is amazing. It feels like you're watching a movie or reading a book but can make your own choices. This is the best 360 game i've played since Gears of War. The only reason Gears I think is better, is the multiplayer. It's a must own for every gamer though.

narcolepticshee
08-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Rent. I bought the limited edition and have now completed the game. Need to go through it again for more achievements but once I've got them all i can't imagine myself playing it again - especially after buying the monstrous game that is blue dragon. You could easily rent it twice and get all the achievements.

It's a brilliant game but is short-lived and with no confirmation of good DLC (download content) - only plasmids - it's definatly a renter. Just you might need/want to rent it a few times

Peace

I Rickz I
08-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Buy it!
A brilliant game,9.5+ from many reviews doesnt lie.
There is so much variation on how to kill your foes,so many things to collect and you will get a few playthroughs to get all the achievements.

Although after that i dont see myself playing this unless DLC is on the way.

Ix Bas xI
08-28-2007, 02:55 AM
rent. i think the same after i buy every single player game. lara croft, gun, bioshock. they all end up the 20 pound games even brand new.. because they will get old and boring.

MrEastSide
08-28-2007, 06:40 AM
It's funny when people talk about the length of a game. Pretty much any game can be beaten in 1-2 days if you sit down and play it straight through. Aside from like an RPG, game length shouldn't really ever be discussed. Racing games, you're doing the same thing over and over so you can't even take length into account, same goes for fighting and sports games. So basically you have FPS and action/adventure games where length really comes into play. And even still, it shouldn't matter that much. I got the game on Tue when it launched and I'm still playing. Taking my time, couple hours a day and really getting an experience. Now, if I sat there and just didn't stop, I could burn through it in a day. But, that would just be dumb, to me anyway. Hell you can beat an RPG in 1-2 days if you play for like half a day straight. So really, I don't know why people even bring length up. Unless it's a reeeaaally short game, like 5-6 hours, length shouldn't ever be brought up.

Look at it this way, it costs $3-5 bucks to rent a movie, usually $5-10 to go see a movie when it's brand new. And that gives you 1 and a half to 2 hours of entertainment that you only get once, unless you buy the movie. If a game gives you 15-20 hours for 50-60 bucks, I say you're getting your money's worth. Not to mention you can play it over again if you want. When you pay 8 bucks for a weekend movie in the theater and it's over in less than 2 hours and that's all you get out of it. So when compared to other entertainment a 15-20 hour video game is pretty good value in my eyes.

Anyway, it's a buy game in my opinion.

And every game gets boring when you play the hell out of it. So when people say rent a game that's just dumb. Unless the game really really sucks. Otherwise every game is a renter. All 15 of my 360 games are old and boring to me now. But, were they all worth buying? You better believe it.

RoT_xFaithx
08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
i would buy it cuz my friend say it a good game and yes i believe it and it does look awesome, except i just don't have the money at the moment...:(

sln333
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I just bought it and it's insane. You need to get it if you like games. Just check out the review on this site for proof.

NeoVampiro
08-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I loved the story and id say it took me a while to finish it(4days) maybe a couple to three hours a day and i managed to get the majority of the achievements however i know my next play thru will take just as long as one its on hard two i need to make sure i invent the 100 items so lots of searching for bits and bobs three i need to find all of the audio diaries. I know i want to get the achievements they give you a sense of satisfaction. All games should be a buy to start with because lets face it its yours you can take however long you want to, to complete it.....this game does rank up there with some of the greats but, what you need to remember is there are FAQ and guides so people can finish Final Fantasy 7 in under 15 hours i would love to see it done but id rather have the 60+ hours of entertainment!!! BUY IT NUFF SAID!!!

crow74
08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
rent for me wasnt to impressed at all,the game had way to much hype before it was released so when it arrived i expected more.
best thing for me was the story line

viciousmental56
08-29-2007, 08:30 PM
buy, its a really good game
great story, graphics, and gameplay

Conker Rules All
08-30-2007, 04:00 AM
one of my favorite games of all times and everyone should buy it for their collection

IDR SeMiNoLe
09-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Well I agree that this is one of the best shooters ever, but I don't think it's worth the 60 dollars. I got the 1,000 points, beat the game on normal and hard, and found that there was nothing else to do after that (this was in one rent). The only thing to do after that is play through the game again every once in awhile, which would get really boring....Multiplayer would've probably sucked, I agree, but it's still just a rent for me...

And MrEastSide, you pretty much said if you rent it for 5-6 dollars and have it for 5 days (or however long you get rentals) then that's all you'll get out of it unless you rent over and over (which is kinda dumb) or buy it. Well I agree, but I got all I could out of it in that one rental (which was extra long, since the store owed us one) and I didn't feel the need to pick it up again... Some people say "well if you buy it you can always pick it up again later and play through it again" but when that later comes, other games will be out and i wont want to play through a story that I've already played through 3 times again

Of course it's all opinion really, so buy it if you want, rent it if you want, but DONT disregard it b/c it's a really solid game.

LukeP91
09-01-2007, 04:50 PM

I totally agree with you there King, the games alot like 'The Darkness' (2K games lol)... great game, but you have to play it like 3 times through just to get the full 1000 GS. Also im not sure if i would like to see Bioshock multiplayer, they made that mistake with The Darkness;)

MrEastSide
09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
But, who plays most games more than 2-3 times? Other than multi-player I don't play most of my games more than a couple times nor do I know anyone that plays a game 10+ times. So when people say "I won't play it more than a couple times" that just never makes sense to me cause most people don't play straight through any games more than 2-3 times...

rent for me wasnt to impressed at all,the game had way to much hype before it was released so when it arrived i expected more.
best thing for me was the story line

And this game was hyped waaaaay less than most games out there. You want talk about hyped games, how about Gears of War, Halo 3, GTA, God of War, etc... I consider Bioshock one of the least hyped games over the last couple years. Other than when sites and mags started reviewing it. Otherwise this game was barely hyped at all.

glasstiger50
09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I would consider this a rent because after the full 1000 GS after one or two times playing through, there's nothing left to do. I don't think this game is worth $60 just to play it once or twice through.

MrEastSide
09-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I would consider this a rent because after the full 1000 GS after one or two times playing through, there's nothing left to do. I don't think this game is worth $60 just to play it once or twice through.

That brings back up my point. How many games out there are like this? Pretty much all of them. Other than like, Oblivion or some other ungodly long RPG, what game is really worth 60 bucks in your eyes if this one isn't? Any story mode is over in 10-20 hours, except multi-player. A fighting game... 60 bucks for the same repetitive gameplay over and over, sports game... Madden... same game every year with new rosters. I just don't know how anyone cannot consider this a buy game. It's flawless and you can play it 2 or 3 times and still get just as much enjoyment out of it as you did the first time. You can't say that with most other games people pay 60 bucks for.

I think it would be interesting for all the people in this thread that think it isn't worth it to post a list of 360 games they currently own, or games for any system for that matter. And I'll bet you most of the games on their list are either shorter than Bioshock or average games that weren't A+ must buy titles. Or sports games that are the same every year. That's just a guess though... :Bounce:

glasstiger50
09-18-2007, 03:59 AM
That brings back up my point. How many games out there are like this? Pretty much all of them. Other than like, Oblivion or some other ungodly long RPG, what game is really worth 60 bucks in your eyes if this one isn't? Any story mode is over in 10-20 hours, except multi-player. A fighting game... 60 bucks for the same repetitive gameplay over and over, sports game... Madden... same game every year with new rosters. I just don't know how anyone cannot consider this a buy game. It's flawless and you can play it 2 or 3 times and still get just as much enjoyment out of it as you did the first time. You can't say that with most other games people pay 60 bucks for.

But once you're done beating it 2-3 times, if you would even do that after you got 1000 GS on your first try, there is nothing left to do. No multiplayer and like you said, it's not an extremely long RPG like Oblivion, where there are a million things to do. $60 is not worth it for less a day of gameplay. Games like Gears of War, Shadowrun, RB6:Vegas, they all have an extremely high replay value. Gears and Vegas both have a lengthy campaign, and they also both have great multiplayer modes. Sure, Bioshock has some replay value, but what game doesn't? In less than a day, you can be done with this game and be out $60, while with the games I stated earlier and many others, you still have multiplayer modes and co-op.

Tom19
09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Buy it. This game is awesome, looks great and plays amazingly.
But with no multiplayer the game doesnt hae a lot of replay value.

Blazicus
09-18-2007, 01:28 PM
I just finished the game last night and i definitely think its worth renting at the very least. i use gamefly so i very rarely purchase games but this one probably will get bought (also Mass Effect when it comes out *drool*).

on a side note i just wanted to laugh at all of those that took 5-10 hours to download the demo. i believe my dl time was like 4-5 minutes, woot go FIOS.

Pez
09-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I went with Rent it, although I have bought it myself.

It's a great game, I can't deny that, but lacking a multiplayer, it's restricted to however many hours you spend in the single player.

The achievements are quite easy to achieve in my opinion, could get 1000 points in a minimum of one playthrough of the game if you're lucky, but for most it comes with two or three playthroughs.

If this had a multiplayer, I would've told you to buy it, but since it doesn't it's a rent. You'll enjoy it just as much with a rent.

~SS

XBOX FRE4K
09-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I would not buy it because I had no real desire to replay it,unlike The Darkness.
Don't get me wrong,it's an awesome game,but for me it's just a rental.

zdarko43
09-18-2007, 05:46 PM
why is this even a topic? look at the reviews. that should be enough to determine the answer to this.

this game has a pretty good shot at game of the year award, but we still have assassin's creed, halo3, and a few other big hit titles expected to come out before the end of the calendar year.

but regardless, this isn't a game to pass on.

MrEastSide
09-19-2007, 04:53 AM
I'm not saying every game should be bought. I just think that out of all the crappy games some people get suckered into buying and let's be honest I'm sure every one of us in this thread has bought a dozen terrible games in our life this one is more than worth buying.

Cosmo_Kramer
09-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I would absolutely recommend buying this game. The story, the plasmids, the characters all are fantastic. Plasmids were the best thing to hit FPS' in a long time.

Only downside, for me...a compulsively story driven gamer, was that there werent more cutscenes to flesh out the storyline.

glasstiger50
09-20-2007, 01:44 AM
OK, I am seriously considering buying this game. But I only buy the REALLY GOOD games, like Gears, Vegas, etc. What is there to do after you get the 1000 gs?

da voodoo child
09-20-2007, 01:47 AM
i say a rent because i have friends that have bought it got the achievements and were done in a couple days.

omegamustard
09-20-2007, 02:30 PM
if you are just playing for achievement points, rent it, you can get all 1000 in 2 play throughs. It isn't a long game. if you really just enjoy playing a short game with a great story over and over, buy it.

Blurrz
09-20-2007, 10:48 PM
if you are just playing for achievement points, rent it, you can get all 1000 in 2 play throughs. It isn't a long game. if you really just enjoy playing a short game with a great story over and over, buy it.

Why is it not possible to get all 1000 in one playthrough? Is there some setting that you cannot unlock until you have played through one time?

Deyankees1
09-21-2007, 04:27 AM
You Buy Now!!!!!!!!lol

Thrax
09-21-2007, 05:06 AM
it was a good game but to buy...nah. Rent

PerfectAnt
09-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Why is it not possible to get all 1000 in one playthrough? Is there some setting that you cannot unlock until you have played through one time?

its not, you just have to pay extra close attention and not miss the things you can only get the one time your in that area

soflyinMS
09-23-2007, 04:36 AM
buy it.so we can get more great games such as this.

Tained sainity
09-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I thought the demo was gd but with it only being a single player experience it has put me off I mean I'll do it once and get most achievements first play through, but it has no multiplayer I mean it has some great reviews, but I think I will wait a while for it to go down in price a little bit due to no multiplayer but I will buy but not now, only because I am saving for other games.

Gikoma
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I think it's not as good as some people say, but it is still worth buying in my opinion.

KlicK
09-26-2007, 03:30 AM
I don't see why you guys all keep bitching about the no multiplayer...

In my limited game library, all of them have multiplayer of some sort. Almost all of them have those pesky-as-hell multiplayer achievements, where more often than not you're relying on your teammates not to ruin it for you, as opposed to you playing single player where everything is on you. I consider the no online achievements a huge plus, especially if you're considering buying this game from a gamerscore whore point of view. So buy it if you want a wicked fun 1,000GS. (I started playing last night. It's certified bad-ass.)

If you're just looking for a great game to play, and you could care less about achievements, this is still worth $60. This game truly is a work of art.

A definite buy.

MrEastSide
09-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't see why you guys all keep bitching about the no multiplayer...

In my limited game library, all of them have multiplayer of some sort. Almost all of them have those pesky-as-hell multiplayer achievements, where more often than not you're relying on your teammates not to ruin it for you, as opposed to you playing single player where everything is on you. I consider the no online achievements a huge plus, especially if you're considering buying this game from a gamerscore whore point of view. So buy it if you want a wicked fun 1,000GS. (I started playing last night. It's certified bad-ass.)

If you're just looking for a great game to play, and you could care less about achievements, this is still worth $60. This game truly is a work of art.

A definite buy.

I agree. If you're an achievement whore there is no better game. No stupid online achievements that require you to amass 20,000 kills and have to put up with people cheating or glitching in every other match while you work your way toward that 50 points.

It really disappoints me when a really good game gives the bulk of it's achievements to multi-player. Then I have to go play with 13 year old kids who spout off every kind of obscenity and racial slur in the book because it's XBox Live and they can feel tough and hide behind their TV. I don't mind a few multi-player achievements. But, they should be a little more reasonable then some of the ones out there.

KlicK
09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree. If you're an achievement whore there is no better game. No stupid online achievements that require you to amass 20,000 kills and have to put up with people cheating or glitching in every other match while you work your way toward that 50 points.
Exactly. Gears of War - which was mentioned several times in this thread - is an amazing game with an awesome multiplayer section. But the multiplayer achievements which are over half of the total, are just plain ridiculous. The weapon achievements are fun, but most of them are awful.

It really disappoints me when a really good game gives the bulk of it's achievements to multi-player. Then I have to go play with 13 year old kids who spout off every kind of obscenity and racial slur in the book because it's XBox Live and they can feel tough and hide behind their TV. I don't mind a few multi-player achievements. But, they should be a little more reasonable then some of the ones out there.
Amen dude. Someone buy this man a beer.

aswipe21
10-11-2007, 03:52 AM
Definitely a must own!!! Lots of different ways to play the game plus the excitement of getting to battle a Big Daddy.

moonrogue1
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
well the demo is good and seem very good and not very linear and u feel like it was a city, but when u get the game, 2hours in it loses this feeling, wepons dont do barly any damage, and the wrench does the most with shotgun at the bottom, long as u got wrench upgrades, it crashes after about 20hours play, its linear, with about 2mins of exploring every 30mins, hassle to go around looking for crap, nitemare getting some of the achivments, no death penalty. plasmids are rarly used. more of a exploration game and story driver game than a shooter. well there the badsides, now for the good:
good story.
15+ hours gameplay
:P if u like oblivion u will like this, personaly i hate both just seem like to much of a mess. but the story is VERY good if u can be assed to listen to each diary (bout 50) and try to make the story out for yourself, personaly this is the type of game u only play for achivments after u realised u just blew 40pound on something that u wud rather spend 40pound on dOoM on xbox live

Andrew x360a
10-19-2007, 05:30 AM
My girlfriend and I beat the game once and had an absolute blast. Now we're headed back to get the last few achivements. This game was worth every penny.

o Mandrick o
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Simply the best game I own. I four king love it. And i'm taking it steady, checking everything, photographiong everything throughout, have played it for about 15 hours and I'm into the fourth area of seven. Just don't want it to end.
Its a must buy and will have replay value even if there's no multiplayer option. frankly I've not missed that at all

Bludy ASSASSIN
10-26-2007, 02:04 AM
buy it!!

Perxxxxx
10-28-2007, 10:17 AM
its an amazing game , but tbh its really not worth buying . it can be completed easily in a rent

Fullawka14
10-31-2007, 04:05 AM
I bought it, but in my opinion i should've rented it, I had a fricken choice between Guitar hero 3 and bioshock and i went with bioshock. Oh well i am just gonna buy GH3 some time soon anyway. But back to bioshock i got 830 score in one day. and ill get the other 170 and the next week. Also i dont think that i am gonna go over it again just for fun. I say a rental.

Also I agree with some people out there, look what happened to the darkness, the multiplayer sucks shit, I couldn't even see bioshock have a multiplayer.

supermario6582
10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
i'm renting mine from gamefly. if i really like it i may consider buying it from them and keeping it.

KingGotenW
11-01-2007, 02:32 AM
i've heard the game was EXTREMELY good, but my friend beat it in 10 hours.... so i'm probably gonna wind up renting it for a good 3 days

NEO CRIMS0N
11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Bioshock was a good game..but no replay value for me what so ever. Got 1000 in one run and just put the game down like Old Yeller. Renting would have been the way to go.

Destro
11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Darkness multiplayer suck because it was all lagy...if the developer would have put a little more effort into it , it could have been a fun multiplayer for a couples of month. I mean lets get it straight, darkness would not have been halo or cod-like material for a multi, but i would have enjoy it for a while. Probleme was just the lag...

About Bioshock...personally a rent... get it, beat it, return it...like most of the solo games i played...

ryanclive
11-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Personally, a great BUY.

I'm not in it for the replay value, IMO there is always a time for us to be done with any game. Even if its Halo 3, GOW or any FPS that packs a hefty replay value, sooner or later you'll be done with it anyway, so go for the experience of the game. And Bioshock never fails.

While it may be good for an 8-10 hour run on Easy, it'll all be worth it on Hard for about 22-25 hours. Not as long as any MP game, but the story's the best I've experienced in years. And for any quality game collector, it means every reason to own the game.

Incorrigible Space Cadet
11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
It's definately an unbelievable experience. I couldnt say enough about it to do it justice without writing a book but you should own this game without question. You could rent it and beat it in the rental period of course. I'd rather see more people buy it though. It kind of sends a message to developers that great efforts in game making are rewarded. It's a one of a kind game that we would be lucky to see more of in the future.

DFILL450
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I would say its a good rent. It doesn't take very long to beat it. Plus, you can get all the achievements in pretty much one go. I definitely didnt want to play it again after i beat it. I tried to beat it on hard and i found it almost impossible.

Hilaryduffgta
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I played it all the way up until after you take out some dude...It was a damn fun game and i enjoyed it totally and im buying it the second i got a chance too...I'd say go for a buy