PDA

View Full Version : all complete now my view

demonizer_andy
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
before i start this is my opinion on a much loved franchise by myself, all views are personal, il probably get flamed or abuse which is fine, iv tried keeping spoilers to a minimum but after playing through thought id give my impression to those who aint bought it or played it yet

ok i played this game ignored the reviews and wanted to enjoy it, to start with i did, but then i realized this is a big step away from the silent hill i know, i aint played them all il admit the first one i played to death and remember a real sense of fear, jumping out my skin and probably shitting myself once or twice....

the first part of that game getting lost in the alley way built up a real sense of fear and panic and it carried on throughout the game

the second one i remember thinking wow this has amazing graphics and it carried on that same sense of fear, i remember one part running round a circle type corridor running into pyramid head n papping myself

the 3rd one i only played briefly n from what i remember seemed a lot more action orientated,

the room i only played a demo and homecoming i played through multiple times, tho not great i still enjoyed

now comes downpour and i can say after playing through im just not impressed il try to keep spoilers to a minimum but if im honest there isnt that much to spoilt, the story was messy, the graphics nothing special by todays standards, the acting was pretty poor, combat is terrible blah blah blah

but most of all there is no real sense of fear, theres a couple of parts where tension builds but nothing happens, tho silent hill isnt a combat heavy game this seems to not know where it wants to be as nothing will happen and then you get overwhelmed with a poorly designed set of enemies who you dont really have to fight anyways

the map design is pretty poor too it gives you a slight sense of freedom and later in the game you get a sewer system to get from town areas quicker, but again theres no real need to do this your just ushered along from A to B with not much to do in between, sometimes i found myself lost and running around for 20 minutes or more until i trigered a cut scene and moved onto the next part

the lighting on the game is also messed up, i have a good tv and dont have issues with games but this is all good then at times you can barely see what your doing i did play with the brightness settings on my tv but it just looked poor afterwards

there are also a lot of repeated areas, a red light of death chases you multiple times through the game with no real explanation what it is and these areas are poorly designed and probably the least enjoyable part of the game,some have multiple paths with no idea of which one to take you play a guessing game till you either die or run around in circles and eventually guess correctly, but i also find these areas broken.....
for example there are parts wher you have to run up flights of stairs but as you run around a corner or to a level above the light it clips through the walls and you can find yourself dying quickly or slowed down to frustration

also what makes silent hill to me is the fog and the alternate world, neither are present here for a great length of time, you spend the majority of time indoors and very rarely visit the dingy underworld which we are all used to injecting the major fear of the game into us..

the puzzle element is also another weak one, there arent too many but some of them without a guide especially the safes you wouldnt really have any idea how to get passed, i remember the first game having a notepad working out every puzzle for myself and really enjoying them, in this one i found them a bore and a chore more than anything

the characters aint anything special either , a few times i couldnt even remember the main characters name, i couldnt tell you his childs name or the main protagonists, the enemy design is really poor, everyone remembers dahlia, or cybil, james and pyramid head etc but theres no reason to care about the characters within this game

also replay value, theres none really apart from multiple endings or for achievement hunters, theres no alternate costumes, no special weapons, no alien guns or chainsaws, the only thing available is a side quest which you cant get till your second play through, overall i think there has been a big missed opportunity in this game and it could of been so much better, i think scoring a game 3/10 is harsh but its also understandable

id probably give it a 5, and the reason for that is thats all it is, average, i wouldnt go out my way to play it, and id reccomend possibly a pre owned purchase or picking it up cheap in a few weeks, its really not a full price purchase im afraid, tho not many games do hold value these days

EliteShadowMan
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Who in the hells going to read all that stuff when you have terrible grammar?

JuSt BLaZe
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Quite amusing. :biglaugh

Evo Kazz
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

I read it, who gives a shit about grammar, this is not fucking school. As long as it's readable, which it is. I rather a review from a real gamer, with poor grammar than a biased load of shit review from Gamespot, IGN, Edge, OXM with perfect spelling any day of the week.

EliteShadowMan
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I read it, who gives a shit about grammar, this is not fucking school. As long as it's readable, which it is. I rather a review from a real gamer, with poor grammar than a biased load of shit review from Gamespot, IGN, Edge, OXM with perfect spelling any day of the week.

I was just joking around, why are you so mad? I read through it myself even though i've already played the game. So sit down and don't take the internet so serious.

Evo Kazz
03-22-2012, 10:20 PM
I was just joking around, why are you so mad? I read through it myself even though i've already played the game. So sit down and don't take the internet so serious.

Oh dear, lol. Anyways...:woop: