PDA

View Full Version : Witcher 2 isn't free roam?

fallout frank
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Just got told by a friend that this game is not free roam, is that true? I have been really looking forward to this game for a while and have always just assumed that it was free roam like skyrim/fallout, if not then I think that will be a dealbreaker for me. :(

Echilion
03-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Just got told by a friend that this game is not free roam, is that true? I have been really looking forward to this game for a while and have always just assumed that it was free roam like skyrim/fallout, if not then I think that will be a dealbreaker for me. :(

There is no free-roaming/open world like Skyrim or Fallout.

Witcher 2 is story driven. Each chapter has a fairly large map and you're able to explore it and do side quests, and once you complete a chapter you can't return to it.

Jaques9843
04-01-2012, 03:42 AM

Seriously..? You're willing to pass on a game that, by all accounts, is absolutely incredible because you can't aimlessly wander?

three15
04-01-2012, 03:25 PM
News to me and kinda puts me off too. I'll still buy it but it won't be a patch on Skyrim for me as it sounds like a pretty standard on the rails adventure dressed up to look like an RPG, hope i'm wrong.

fastNcurious
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm fine with no free roam. Not every game needs it. Sometimes it's nice to play a game that you know has an ending and won't suck up your soul for months on end...lol.

Lewi
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
im actually very excited for this game.

also interested to see how this large map for chapters plays out. i dont really like random encounters with enemies when going from place to place. Skyrim is probably the one exception where i would always think to myself 'o hey i havent been here, i wonder whats over there' but no other game has really done that for me so that makes me intrigued with this game. the depth of the story and how choices made really matter have piqued my interest

Onelastbreath
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Im looking forward to this. I liked the way that Dark souls was set out, even if its not like this though ill happily play it.

Headless Snip3r
04-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Very dissapointing news, but I'll still give it a shot. Not nearly as excited about it now though.

PhantomNemesis
04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
The problem with having super-popular franchises like Skyrim and WoW is that anyone who tries to release anything similar gets met with "It's a Skyrim/WoW ripoff and is therefore inferior" and if you try to do anything different then its not as good as the Skyrim/WoW model.

Not saying thats the case here, but if your decision to buy or enjoy this is based on the fact that its not free roam then you're missing out on one of the best RPGs of last year. The maps are large enough to get distracted for a time anyway, and theres enough quests to do.

AirborneRichard
04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with above, every gamecompany try to add something different or try not to swim along what with others did. Its very hard these days as a gamedeveloper to come with something totaly new or whats never been tried before, thus its always tricky if you do something simular to what others did, mainly because we gamers have the tendency to compare those games with others even if they sometimes totaly different from eachother. I think The Witcher 2 def stands free from games like Skyrim or other RPG,s they added new stuff aswell stayed loyal to what gamers do like about RPG,s Its a totaly different world and lets not forget The Witcher is based on books. That its not freeroam like the freeroam we know in most games not means you can,t go explore. This game works in chapters where in each chapter new ereas open up and these are pretty big with plenty of stuff to explore and do also plenty of sidequests to do aswell, just a warning once you complete the mainquests in that part it might it no longer available to explore later in short its locked.

el_pieablo
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
No free roam is a good thing for me. A story driven game with focus on Character development and mature storyline? Bought!

Foxxy kyle
04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Seriously..? You're willing to pass on a game that, by all accounts, is absolutely incredible because you can't aimlessly wander?

Seems like a valid reason to me, I think all RPG games should provide free roam.. as it is a huge part of the enjoyment of a game. I am not saying I wont play it but I see where he is coming from.

PhantomNemesis
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
It's not linear in the sense of FF13, more like you start a Chapter, you get a main quest or several, and can then wander and explore, doing side quests etc. When you finish the chapter, you may or may not be able to revisit the locations in the previous chapter, so there is free-roam elements to it, but its not like Skyrim where you exit the cave and then spend 60 hours wandering around doing other stuff before even starting the main quest.

For something like Skyrim thats ok, but in the Witcher 2 its so story driven that it can't work with that same idea. Having free roam in a game can really hurt the story in most cases.

Foxxy kyle
04-13-2012, 12:29 AM
For something like Skyrim thats ok, but in the Witcher 2 its so story driven that it can't work with that same idea. Having free roam in a game can really hurt the story in most cases.

I disagree, look at Fable for instance. The story was grand in Fable II an they had freeroam for the most part.

PhantomNemesis
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Fable II's story in comparison to stories like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and The Witcher isn't that great. Even then, it wasn't entirely free roam anyway, for the start of the game you couldn't anywhere outside of the Bower region until going to collect Hammer. Most of the sections opened up one at a time, unlike say Skyrim where you can exit the cave and immediately walk to the other side of the world and explore everything. Fable III was even worse in this case, with the majority of it being locked after the first visit until you became King.

iLLmAtiiic
04-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I agree with #11, if other aspects of a game are great, not having free roam almost never even crosses my mind.

Although if I could find out how many hours i aimlessly roamed Morrowind I don't think I would be too proud of myself...

dmosbon
04-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Much prefer a story-driven experience over free-roam. Too many variables make me lose interest in a game.

gazmaster1
04-14-2012, 03:50 PM
I was shocked when I played this to find it wasnt open world but then the story and combat hooked me in. So far I have only got to chapter 1 but I have played this more than Skyrim. Dont think I can face wandering aimlessly around looking for quests and things to do so Im actually looking forward to whats in store.

Starkweather
04-14-2012, 04:10 PM
It has the same system that DA 2 had in terms of Acts and quests but better game of course.

I love Elder Scrolls but The Witcher 2 is brilliant in its own way, really loving the story and choices and i haven't even finished Act 1, want to brush up all side quests.

three15
04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Playing for a few hours now and mostly it just seems to be small flashback quests with not much of an area to explore. Hoping this changes because at the moment i feel like i'm watching a movie and playing the occasional scene.

EnteringtheCosmos
04-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Playing for a few hours now and mostly it just seems to be small flashback quests with not much of an area to explore. Hoping this changes because at the moment i feel like i'm watching a movie and playing the occasional scene.
You are still in the prologue stage, Chapter 1 will start soon and things will be more open.

bfmv lfc
04-15-2012, 09:00 AM
I would of liked another free roam game but never mind. Will still be getting this.