PDA

View Full Version : Did this game ever make you jump?

Dpzano87
08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
There have been very few games that actually scared me (F.E.A.R. is definatley the scariest)- and this game actually made me jump a few times- sometimes I'd turn around and a Splicer would be right there and I'd jump a little bit. Anyone else get this and where?

Also is it true that the teleportation plasmid was canned? I really would have loved that.

DeW222
08-23-2007, 05:10 AM
There isn't a teleportation plasmid, I know that much. I've also jumped once or twice from having a splicer right behind me. But that will happen with most games when someone shows up right behind you. I wouldn't put it on the same level as FEAR since that game has parts that made you jump and had nothing to do with something just sneaking up behind you (Elma appearing at the top of the ladder when you're completely vulnerable....)

brentkid
08-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Goosebumps, actually. I jumped maybe once or twice, but I got goosebumps a lot.

DoM cAbAn
08-23-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't usually play scary games. Not because they're too scary, just because I don't really like them. But oh God... Bioshock has given me some scares. :p One time I was walking into a room and I saw the shadow of a splicer. I went into the room and he wasn't there. So I walked back the way I came and he jumped out of a cabinet! I was like "Ahhh!" (well not really, but that's what I said in my head). And then there's the usual spilcer that just comes out of nowhere.

TheNeXt6
08-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Yes it was my first incounter with a nitro splicer, I thought he didn't see me......until he just speeds over towards me, I seriously went up in the air a little I was like HOLY **** and I pumped him with so much lead....and even after he was dead I shot him JUST in case lol.

Drunk3nR4d
08-23-2007, 06:10 AM
ya its kinda hard for me not 2 get startled at parts since the story line in the game is sooo good (imo) that i get into the game so bad that it actually pisses me off when someone appears behind me...(or when the lights go off and you hear footsteps, or you just plain here footsteps) there have actually been times where they have done that and i kill them but still will beat their lifeless corpse with my wrench... it gives me satisfaction

Fritz White
08-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I've jumped. More than once. It's like a good scary movie. It's fun to get surprised.

JVialpando
08-23-2007, 06:30 AM
youtubr has a teleport vid

Zef
08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
In the usual paranoid style of avoiding all things scary, the game made me jump when I most expected it =D

When Ryan blows up the submarine I was busy checking the little passage to the right whilst slowly moving forwards, I said to myself "Something is going to jump on me. Stay alert". Then the above happened =o

Dizzy Domes
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
In the usual paranoid style of avoiding all things scary, the game made me jump when I most expected it =D

When Ryan blows up the submarine I was busy checking the little passage to the right whilst slowly moving forwards, I said to myself "Something is going to jump on me. Stay alert". Then the above happened =o

Exact same part I was going to post. Lol. That and the first time I fought a Big Daddy. I didn't know how fast they were going to be. I stood back and fired and armor piercing round at him and within seconds he had rushed 30 feet across the room and proceeded to toss me around like a rag doll.

Adam Miller
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Never jumped physically..but a few of them huidini ones and the first time i saw a big daddy i ran away lol. :(

08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought you meant with the Y button, to which I would have responded "Hey, you're right, it was just in the beginning. Those damn developers!," but since this is about actual scares I'll respond that, honestly, no. The game is very similar to Condemned (Very, very similar. This isn't a bad thing, at all, though), so I kind of figured out the formula. The things that kind of get to me are the crucified smugglers, though.

Bax x360a
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Dont think ive ever jumped, but the creepy atmosphere does make it a scary game, and those Houdini enemies dont help :p

Pyroman31
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I've jumped a couple times when those damn splicers jump outta nowhere RIGHT in front of you...I actually jumped so bad I kicked my cat across the room...:(

I wasn't scared of the BD...I actually was more in awe...

K00PA TR00PA
08-23-2007, 10:57 PM
i think theres a part in medical pavillon where you pick up a tonic and the room fogs up and when you turnaround theres a splicer right behind you. That freaked me out the first time.

stankit
08-24-2007, 01:19 AM
^
exact part i was going to say, it freaked me out so much (and i was playing at like 4 a.m. to boot). Can't see anything but white fog on the screen, comes back and see the shadow of a man reflecting past me.

and i wrenched any bodies i found to make sure they weren't playing dead

brsfan22
08-24-2007, 05:13 AM
The only part that has frightened me a little bit was the part with the fog.

Th3 Apache Dog
08-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Yes, during the demo. This is why i deleted the demo and will never play it again:(

mutterfudder
08-24-2007, 05:50 AM
The Houdini splicers got me a few times... I guess I scare easy! :Bounce:

axel718
08-24-2007, 06:00 AM
i jumped at least 2 times after hacking a safe i turned around and a f&$Kin splicer is on top of me just starring at me.

DeW222
08-24-2007, 07:05 AM
I just a a jump experience earlier - it was in Fort Frolic after you get the weapon upgrade from the alcoholic spirits store and all those statues 'activate'. I didn't do this on my first play-through, so it was all new to me. Anyways, having those things stalking you is freaky as hell but I didn't know they were really splicers in disguise. So when the first one jumped me - I jumped out of my chair.

Loke Gen
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
There is no game that has ever made me jump in my entire life and I've been playing M rated games since I was 6. I'm not trying to brag because the fact is I've been searching for a game that would startle me. Unfortunately I still haven't found that game.

K1ng K00p4
08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I think the first time a corpse (splicer) got up and fought I probably jumped.

Then the part when you find the shotty in the medical pavilion and your in the circle of light and people are coming out of the darkness. I didn't jump, but I was freakin' out.

Murbay
08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
There is no game that has ever made me jump in my entire life and I've been playing M rated games since I was 6. I'm not trying to brag because the fact is I've been searching for a game that would startle me. Unfortunately I still haven't found that game.

Thats because you don't allow yourself to get absorbed into these games ;)

As for jumping, the splicer in the toilets got me on the demo so I was ready for him in the actual game.

Only one part has made me jump so far and that was in the dentists office. I was searching a cabinet and when I turned round there was a splicer right behind me. The AI is so good in this game that they creep up behind you without attacking or letting you know they are there.

Another area I found creepy was with the Spider Splicers hanging on the ceilings. You are casually walking along, looking around when you suddenly look up and there is some crazy guy right above you who just drops down, now thats creepy.

marcodecca
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
In the hallway thats full of water and you can see a doctor's shadow operating and then the lights go out and the shadow is gone. Then you look around and the doctor seems to have dissapeared, so i searched around and went back down the hall and he popped out of the freezer, i screamed like a little girl.

oneandonlytommo
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
the worst bit is when if your in a room and you swich the button all the lights go off and splicers come after you scary made me scared. and in the toilets when they come out of nowhere :eek:

K00PA TR00PA
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Those spider splicers in fort forlic who look like statues and actually "pose" pretending to be one was a bit freaky. Also, if you go down to the lower level where its full of water, theres a tonic in the back of that room and when you turn around theres like 5 of those things "posing".

p4in redefined
08-24-2007, 09:10 PM
i jumped when the first big daddy tackled me into the wall....something tht big with that much speed...

Tankazz X
08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
I was walking up the stairs one time and barely paying attention, when i heard something hit/nudge me. I bring up my trusty wrench, rotate 180 degrees, and dutifully smack a big daddy right in the face, scaring the hell out of me.

D0cman88
08-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I've jumped 3 or 4 times while playing through this game (finished it today). The worst was when I turn around and freaking splicer is standing right behind me. That scared the piss out of me.

crusaderV1
08-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I was walking up the stairs one time and barely paying attention, when i heard something hit/nudge me. I bring up my trusty wrench, rotate 180 degrees, and dutifully smack a big daddy right in the face, scaring the hell out of me.

Your lucky he didnt kill you right then and there.

As for me its the part when you walk into the hallway full of water then the light flips off and in your in complete darkness. I jumped so far out of my bed! This is, arguably, one of the greatest 360 games ever made!

Tankazz X
08-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Your lucky he didnt kill you right then and there.

Oh he did. Very efficiently

Icelightin
08-29-2007, 06:27 AM
the worst part for me was in the Medical Pavilion in Painless dentistry where the fog comes and the corpse appears on the table then you pick up the tonic and the guy is standing behind you, i must have jumped about 3 feet off my chair after my heart started to calm down I had a great laugh with my buddy...GREAT GAME

IceWarm
08-29-2007, 06:47 AM
When you are about to search a corpse and it turns out to be a Splicer that is alive and it jumps up to attack you.

sln333
08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I started out and I was chasing a splicer around a corner. I lost him and as I was walking around a door opened and he jumped out and started swinging a wrench at me. Now that I'm used to that I haven't jumped since.

NeoVampiro
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I would love to agree with you but i didnt really jump, although the game atmosphere is really creepy no jumping from me though.....I think the only game that actually made me jump is condemmed, but that purely is because it's so intense your absorbed by the story!!!!

Fire Mage
08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
I got startled in the Medical room with the fog, like someone already mentioned.

Also, I didn't get scared but kind of went "What the hell?" at another part:

It was down in a watery room and as you walked towards the corner you heard noises. I reached the corner and turned around, and all the things where clothing dummies were standing up were gone.

Instead of the dummies, there were now white covered Splicers. I was just like "What in the...?" because they didn't move.

Then I shot one and they all started attack. Haha.

robertfee
08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
the statue ones freaked the piss out of me.
at the end of the first level when the ryan video plays and the splicers start cutting through the wall freaked me out too

tarheeltay
08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I only jumped at the dentist who's standing behind you, and at a few of those statues.

ShoShoRD
02-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Yh I jumped, a few times ,

Andrew x360a
02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't usually play scary games. Not because they're too scary, just because I don't really like them. But oh God... Bioshock has given me some scares. :p One time I was walking into a room and I saw the shadow of a splicer. I went into the room and he wasn't there. So I walked back the way I came and he jumped out of a cabinet! I was like "Ahhh!" (well not really, but that's what I said in my head). And then there's the usual spilcer that just comes out of nowhere.

I remember this exact moment! I think it was when you first go after Dr. Steinman and there's a splicer at an operating table, but when you go around the corner he isn't there. He ducked into the body cabinets and then when you go back out into the first room, he jumps out right in front of your face. I jumped pretty badly and just started shooting like crazy. Good times.

nictasty
02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Those spider splicers in fort forlic who look like statues and actually "pose" pretending to be one was a bit freaky. Also, if you go down to the lower level where its full of water, theres a tonic in the back of that room and when you turn around theres like 5 of those things "posing".

HAHA! That part totally got me bad. The whole level I was expecting them to do that, but I missed the tonic. I came back later and grabbed it and by then I was assuming they were all dummies so I was totally not expecting it.

Someone already mentioned the dentist office, but when that happened, I was home alone(which is rare) and i had to walk out and smoke a cigarette to calm myself down.

The other one that freaked me was when you first get the shotty and they all run around you like crazy.

DubNut86
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Alot of people said it made them jump, but i didn't as there was nothing to jump about :p

DrJonan
02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I've only jumped once, when the splicer was right behind me after the fog. I think F.E.A.R. has scared me much more, it's much quieter and darker. Bioshock has more of things going on around you with freaky music and ligths.

Eatpancakes
02-10-2008, 07:12 AM
i think theres a part in medical pavillon where you pick up a tonic and the room fogs up and when you turnaround theres a splicer right behind you. That freaked me out the first time.

that part got me too....freaked me out so bad. And the splicers who are on the ground...lights go out and they are gone..get to the end of the room and they jump up off the ground in your face....yikes...

I think the lack of a radar added too it. I'm so used to having a radar that without it i had to listen more for enemies and that only made it more of an experience for me.

gskillz99
02-14-2008, 01:45 AM

i rember that part very very clearly after i saw the shadow annd went back that stupid splicer jumped out of something. I think i pooped in my pants that day

A Polish Panda
02-14-2008, 02:29 AM
This game never scared me, it was more of a silly game at parts.

tadpeters
02-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Two times this game sort of made me shudder a little bit.

The first was in the dentist office at the very beginning. The room gets foggy when you pick up a tonic and you turn around and doctor ugly is standing right behind you a few inches from your face!

The second is in the water-filled basement in the bottom of the Fort... I believe you are getting a tonic there too and the white statues keep moving everytime you turn around! Crazy!

Another place is when you go into the other basement where the gun upgrade is and there's a splicer sitting in the chair. You get the upgrade and turn around and the splicer isn't in the chair anymore but it's right behind you. Crazy.

Nevander
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
"Hello beautiful!" :D

This part sort of freaked me out and made me jump first time, but now when I hear it, I laugh at it, its funny to hear him say that. Also the part in Medical Pavilion I think it is, there's a guy that appears behind you, and the part with the fog where a body just appears on the dentist chair right there in front of you.

General Rebel
02-16-2008, 03:55 PM
where's its all foggy, you get some plasmid, & turn around there's a splicer there all quiet, scared the &*%! out of me.

LOL :eek:

BMS
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I wouldnt say jumped, more like sh*t myself

I dont play it anymore, stopped on the garden level i think it was

Creator must be sick in the head to make this, still gives me nightmares !!!!

battle cry714
02-21-2008, 05:26 AM
I just a a jump experience earlier - it was in Fort Frolic after you get the weapon upgrade from the alcoholic spirits store and all those statues 'activate'. I didn't do this on my first play-through, so it was all new to me. Anyways, having those things stalking you is freaky as hell but I didn't know they were really splicers in disguise. So when the first one jumped me - I jumped out of my chair. ZOMG that would have scared the hell out of me... but my friend warned me :D. one of the scariest parts is one a splicer runs into the water. i followed him in and the lights went black. i jumped and then ran away. that is the scariest experiance i have ever had in any game. (never played F.E.A.R. or doom)
The other one that freaked me was when you first get the shotty and they all run around you like crazy.
This part scared me also. Scissors to the eyes! Ouch.
Edit: now that i think about it, hl2 ep1 scared the hell out of me. lowlife, the part with the elevator.

xxtearitapartxx
02-26-2008, 05:52 AM
I love this game, and one of the main reasons is because it has scared the crap out of me so many times. When I picked up the research camera, which was in a dark spooky room of course, I turned around and one of those splicers with the glowing hot sickles for hands was standing right behind me and breathing downn my neck. I screamed "holy sh!t", jumped out of my chair and bashed his face in with my lovely wrench.

exorr
02-26-2008, 06:23 AM
that part got me too....freaked me out so bad. And the splicers who are on the ground...lights go out and they are gone..get to the end of the room and they jump up off the ground in your face....yikes...

I think the lack of a radar added too it. I'm so used to having a radar that without it i had to listen more for enemies and that only made it more of an experience for me.

I'm playing and that part got me too jump also. Luckily I had my shotgun equipped and he got blown away quickly :)

LaCara Cicatriz
02-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Not nessescarily jump, but I played this at my friends house for the first 25 mins of the game in the dark on a really nice 42 inch lcd HdTV........with like 3 other ppl in the room .....The part where that splicer attacks in the first 5 mins was able to spook us quite a bit....and I've played at my own house...I'm pretty sure I've subconsiously kept the lights on while playing

LaCara Cicatriz
02-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Two times this game sort of made me shudder a little bit.

The first was in the dentist office at the very beginning. The room gets foggy when you pick up a tonic and you turn around and doctor ugly is standing right behind you a few inches from your face!

The second is in the water-filled basement in the bottom of the Fort... I believe you are getting a tonic there too and the white statues keep moving everytime you turn around! Crazy!

Another place is when you go into the other basement where the gun upgrade is and there's a splicer sitting in the chair. You get the upgrade and turn around and the splicer isn't in the chair anymore but it's right behind you. Crazy.

that, PLUS any random gory shit that happens...like when those two bodies are hanging in that meat freezer.... and still kinda wigglin'....:eek:*shudder*

spooky shit

Kristen59
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
It did at first. Which is why I stopped playing for awhile. But I learned how fun it was and got over the scary parts. Although, I haven't gotten to another "OMG! WHY DID ALL THE LIGHTS GO OUT!? WHATS THAT NOISE?!" moment again. the first time I was just like.. shit. Pretty sure I'm over it... I was thinking about going back and trying to play F.E.A.R. but maybe not yet.

General Rebel
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Just played the part in Hephaestus where the lights flicker out then the splicers plying dead get up - :omg

Freaked me out - LOL -

When I went in there again I knew they were there so I grabbed the gas bottles & tossed them at the splicers on the floor - they didn't have a chance to get up & scare me :woop:

Kira Panic
02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
It scared me at times.
But I never beat it caue I got kinda bored but I'm borrowing it from my friend again so I can beat it.

Luftwaffles08
02-29-2008, 01:51 AM
I actually jumped and screamed while playing. When you're in a college dorm room with 5 other guys, this tends to be an embarassing scenario.

It was in the Arcadia forest right after the gas goes off to kill all the foliage. I went into the first grotto where they talk about the worshippers and saw the tree mask lying on the table. Thinking that was cool, I wheeled my stick around only to come face to face with a Houdini Splicer wearing the mask just STANDING behind me. :eek: Since there was no warning or attack yet, I just completely flipped out.

Needless to say, I try to play this mostly game in the afternoon now.

GoFFe
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I haven't played bioshock yet.

When playing DOOM3 I was scared most of the time though, really scary game. Especially when I was home alone and played 01:00..... :eek:

sleepynow
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Awesome game! It drew me in to the experience..very intense. The dentist office moment got me. There were others, but that was the most traumatic one. It was great to get sucked in to a game like that. I couldn't harvest any little sisters... didn't feel right.

bartleym
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
freaked a bit at the weird surgen guys creations

Fragmeat666
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
The part that scared me the most was in Fort Frolic. There's this room that looks like an abandoned warehouse that's completely dark, flooded, and barely lit by the light coming in through the windows. There are some items in the far corner of the room and while you're heading over there you are passing a couple of those spider splicers covered in plaster and posed like mannequins. You just know they were going to start moving and attack you sooner or later. I remember I kept turning around to see if they started moving already hehehe.

I agree with the thread starter, FEAR is the scariest game I ever played. There were times I just had to stop playing 'cause I was so freaked out.

Shadow Fba
03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Demo yes/Game No

Log
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes, a few times actually. The one which made me jump the most was when the lights turned off and then you walk abit and then the splicers which are on the floor jump up and pwn you :(

IRONMAN
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
There was a few situations that got the better of me. But after the first play, it was pretty good. I always find that the start of "scary" games are the worst part..they really get you & freak you out..but half-way to the end is nothing..kinda like DOOM 3.

Himself0890
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
There were actually two times.

One time, I was in some basement and I saw a stoned 'statue' sitting in the corner. I picked up an item in the other corner of the room and I turned around and the 'statue' was gone. The lights went out and then flickered on and there was that guy standing there. ha

Another time, I was reading something in a corner of a storage room and then turned around and a guy was just standing there when I least expected it. ha

Defcizion
03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
When I was in Sander Cohen's place and those people covered in plaster I think it was? but when they came to life when I went down in this small room and opened a safe, I turned around and this one got up and hit me.

mentaljason
03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
This game didnt make me jump, crazy things happened and I was just like "awesooome" lol

TheDeadspace
04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I generally don't play games that I think are going to make me jump, but I really liked Bioshock even though it got me a couple of times. The worst one was in Fort Frolic, there is a room which you have to open with a switch hidden on the side of a bar.

When you go in, there is a statue sitting on a chair in the corner. Creepy, but not too bad. In the opposite corner of the room was a safe or a weapon station or something. After I finished with it, I thought, "I know, i'll smash up that statue because it's funny." I turned round, walked over to the chair, only to find that the 'statue' had gone. A genuine chill went down my spine at this point. I looked round, and saw the statue standing right behind where I had just been, arms raised to attack, and I just lost it. I blasted a whole clip of machine gun ammo around the room, hit nothing, then got killed as I tried to get away.

cwigham
04-03-2008, 07:08 AM
...It's made me jump a few times. I think early on in the game when I was walking around the medical place. It was a morgue and I saw the shadow of a splicer round the corner, then the lights go out and it's gone...only to dive at me before I leave.
Only the original silent Hill has made me as jumpy as this. Awesome game though.

Animal Born
04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Houdini Splicers always make me jump lol :]

Cacky
12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I think BioShock makes everyone jump out of their skin at one time or another.

Morty
12-13-2008, 09:13 PM
found this game really creepy to play because i had no idea what to expect and while trying my hardest to keep on guard i would jump when they pop out of no where :P

Fear and also condemmed are the games i actually find SCARY but this is an awsome game with great spooky and creepy atmosphere to it

SynysterMonkey
12-13-2008, 09:18 PM
The only real scare I got, was around 10pm at night and I was with my buddy. It was dark at my house, so that added to the whole feel of things. I was in the crazy dentist dudes office, and I searched in one of the desks. After I got everything I needed, I headed over to a vending machine to sell so some stuff. I bought some first aid kits and ammo, and as soon as I was finished, I turned around and get whacked in the face by a Splicer. Scary as shit.

Simzo
12-13-2008, 10:28 PM
This game made me jump more than any other game or film, seriously s**t scary..

Tiberian
12-13-2008, 10:30 PM
This game makes me jump all the time. I'm not really scared of it but most the jumping out of nowhere still makes me jump lol. Especially on hard, when you have to be careful because of health.

I haven't played bioshock yet.

When playing DOOM3 I was scared most of the time though, really scary game. Especially when I was home alone and played 01:00..... :eek:

The game is pretty cheap, you really should get this game! Its awesome! Best new game this generation.

Lord of Orion
12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
i jumped when the first big daddy tackled me into the wall....something tht big with that much speed...

That was my biggest "HO-LY CRAP!" moment I have had since System Shock 2. I loved this game because it made me jump, but I stupidly shot the pistol at that first Big Daddy. "He can't hurt me, I will just run around him ... aww HECK NO!"

Abernethy
12-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't play horror games because I'm jumpy and I don't enjoy it.

However this game was fine and I honestly didn't really jump once or find it scary. Jumped more in Fallout 3. :p

B T E R
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
the beginning of the game is scary, but then its no, the only scary part later on is the first time they pretend to be dead.

antnie
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
I jumped a couple of times. But what really scared me was the parts were the game was very dark or when you can see shadows moving but nothing is around.

marlo2123
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
This game is GREAT! i love getting scared and i did get scared a lot of the times. Especially this one part
(Spoilers In What I'm Going To Say!)
Ok so this one part where you're going to get the shotgun, everything turns dark. I got goosebumps at that part but then a splicer just pops up and im like ooooooo F***!
Also when you're randomly walking around and you get to the point where some pictures pop up in your screen, that was creepy too.
And lastly, near the end of the game some of the splicers will lay down on the ground pretending to be dead, i don't notice them and I keep walking and BLAM. Pops up and i freak out!
Great Game!!

enderflame
01-03-2009, 07:37 AM
the game made me sick to my stomach the first couple of times I played and yeah the splicers coming behind me scared me sometimes. I ended up turning the brightness up and nothing really scared from then on because you could see anything. Don't play the game in a dark room at midnight.

miguel56
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I've been scared good a couple times, like that part where theres a bunch of dead bodies in a hallway, as im looking through them, i lower my guard because there wasnt anybody there, then the last few bodies at the end of the hallway are actually alive and they jump up and scared the crap out of me, but i always laugh right after i get scared.

Munsie
01-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Some made-me-jump moments..

1) End of the demo when they're hitting the glass.
2) Fort Frolic basement.
3) Dentist office mist/turn around. ;P
4) I scared myself with a grenade once... Kind of hard to explain but it involved a dead body, a wheelchair and a grenade. =3

Genesis x360a
01-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Only 1 part makes me jump and for some reason it makes me jump everytime even thou ino its coming - Its the bit very earlly in the game and your on of the toilets a cutscene starts and you turn around and look at a mirror and there's a splicer stood behind you lol That made me shit my pants the first time i saw it.

DrizztDourden43
01-13-2009, 02:52 AM
I jumped the first time the weird playback scene came up with the "ghosts". It just caught me off guard and I was playing in the dark.

If you want a game that will make you jump...condemned is the only game I've played where 3 grown men actually screamed like girls at some points.

fuzzy343
01-13-2009, 03:58 AM
Yeah they got rid of the teleportation plasmid, because the "Hunting the Big Daddy" video had the plasmid in it. And yes the game made me jump once in the Dentist's office, once in the water distillery, and probably once in Olympia Heights because of the sheer creepiness of the place.

MessiahSlayer
01-13-2009, 07:35 AM
I have played through and beaten all of the Resident Evil games so I am used to playing games that make me jump. I remember when I first rented bioshock last year my girlfriend was pregnant and she would go to bed early and I would stay up alone at like 1 in the morning in a dark room and play by myself. That was not a good idea because I felt like a little kid sometimes when the game made me jump! Its not as much that its scary but the fact that I would just turn around and something would be there that wasn't there before. I really enjoy that part of the game though it makes it alittle better for me.

da player11396
01-17-2009, 03:17 AM
when the splicer jumped out of the cabinet scared me to.

DiamondD
01-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Oh man this game gave me the serious creeps at times. I must've jumped out of my seat like 20 times due to splicers acting like they were dead and as I was moseying along they laughed hysterically and got up.

I also think I've been psychologically damaged from this one. I once went into a underground water filled basement and I noticed a Power to the People Machine. I looked to my right and saw a plaster covered splicer sitting in a chair facing the corner of a wall. I thought nothing of it and whacked it a couple of times with my wrench just to make sure. Sure enough, after upgrading my weapon, I turn around and that thing is right freakin behind me!!! I was like WTF!!! so loud it wasn't even funny.

King Jam
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I actually screamed h0LY F**K cuz I somehow missed a big daddy and he was right behind me . I died like instantly .

Gippo Hippo
02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
BioShock is a very good game, in the "Welcome To Rapture" level I got a bit scared :( Lol. But after that I really really enjoyed the game.

Kashla
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I did jump a couple of times, despite I knew the enemies were right around the corner.

However, there is one time I know I would have jumped a mile if I hadn't seen a video spoiling the moment. When you pick up a diary in the medical pavilion and it tells about a crazed surgeon. you turn around and he is just standing there looking at you.

Bradlez92
04-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I am going for weapons specialist, and found the one in the hidden room in Fort Frolic. I'm worried there is a splicer so i shock the water. nothing. so i go down cautiosly after 30 seconds of panicking and i see the Power to the People station. so i bolt over there and upgrade my grenade launcher as fast as i can, spin around and i scream as loud as i can while pulling the trigger on my newly aquired grenade upgrade while killing the ballarina splicer. i run upstairs quidy quick and see all the statues missing. that's when i panic. thank god i had hypno big daddy slot and there was one right outside, cuz i was shitting my pants.

Also there is a splicer on Dr. Steinmans level who pretends to be dead and when your in the morgue and the lights go off (SHIIIIIT THAT ONE WAS BAD!! I HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO AND IT WAS FIRST TIME PLAYING!! :D)

The last one is the crazy splicer telling her "baby" not to be scared, when it's actually a pistol (again it was my first run through)

now tell me yours.

Bradlez92
04-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I did jump a couple of times, despite I knew the enemies were right around the corner.

However, there is one time I know I would have jumped a mile if I hadn't seen a video spoiling the moment. When you pick up a diary in the medical pavilion and it tells about a crazed surgeon. you turn around and he is just standing there looking at you.

i don't recall that one, can you post the youtube video? i'm curious

IRONMAN
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
i don't recall that one, can you post the youtube video? i'm curious

I'm pretty sure it's in the area you have to use your flame power for the first time. You turn around and he's right in front of you after the room gets frost all over making your screen white out. It is pretty freaking creepy.

Bringerofpwnage
04-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I was playing about a week ago, and i cleared out an area of splicers before heading down the stairs. After grabbing what I needed, i walked up the stairs, turned the corner and nearly suffered a heart attack from a splicer lol

limination
04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't remember what level it is. But there's a coffin with a body in it. And I creeped up on it, thinking nothing would happen, and a fucking splicer threw it at me, I seriously screamed and said "SHIIIIIIIIIT!".

My mom came in and was like, "What the hell is going on?"

"I got scared"

True story

cL PlaTiiNuM
04-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I played through this game, and did not jump. I didn't think of it as a horror shooter, just an experimental shooter game, with creatures. The only game that made me jump was Call Of Duty 4, that was on Mile High Club, on the last bend, when an unexpected guy shot me.

skull3k3
04-11-2009, 01:32 PM
a few times:

picking up a tonic and it going all foggy and then turning around to see a splicer in front of my, i jumped straight out of my chair..
the white status in the fort level, first time through as well...

horstwayne
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
the shadows on the walls and the other stuff around the first houdini splicer scared me most I guess.

xXthefragileXx
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
In the hallway thats full of water and you can see a doctor's shadow operating and then the lights go out and the shadow is gone. Then you look around and the doctor seems to have dissapeared, so i searched around and went back down the hall and he popped out of the freezer, i screamed like a little girl.

Oh god yes! I freaked the hell out at that part. Didn't help that I was playing at 3 am, with the lights off and the xbox hooked up to a badass surround sound system *shivers*

xGoRmSx
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I dont know if it has been said but it made me jump when you see the statue of someone sitting on a chair in the dark then you use the upgrade your weapon thing then turn around to find the statue man right behind you...freaky shit.:p Until I blow him away with my shotty:uzi:

Contrah
04-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I would be staring at the screen.. then suddenly.. BAM!
a splicer jumps out in front of you!
HL2 gave me the jumps a bit too.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Honestly, nah it didnt.

Im one of many who feel Bioshock is the best single player console game of all time and so when I played and play the game Im just amazed at how cool the game is.

Its so realistic even though most of it isnt real, its hard to explain but its just amazing.

A friend of mine was made jump many times and ended up not even finishing the game which I hate him for but everyone is different.

The first time I walked to that table down in the low waters where the guys who disappear and re-appear in the red smoke and you turn around and theres one right there, that was the closest I came to being made jump. I still find it awesome that that always happens and hes always there if you walk to the table and turn around :D

But nah It didnt make me jump, pretty much because I was in awe the whole game lol.

KNUCKS x360a
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I did 'Jump' quite a few times I have to admit! It reminded me of Condemned... Psycho's leaping in yr face from out of nowhere!
But when i rented it, my friend said it stops being scary by the 2nd stage & turns into a shooter pretty much... (i have 2 agree)

i'd say Fallout3 just about beats it! creeping round those abandoned Bunkers/Caves, alone looking for loot, then BAM!! - Super Mutant/Ghoul jumps out the shadows!:eek:!
gets me every time!

Sparky G 34
04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Don't forget the splicers laying on the floor like they are dead, then when you try to search there body they jump up and attack you. That scared me when that happened for the first time.

b0dybagg3r
04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Parts of it scared the hell out of me, to be honest. I remember when you walk through the tunnel and then there are just a bunch of dead bodies, and splicers all over the place. Then, POW! The lights start flickering. /shudder

infernoterrorize
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I think I jump twice, maybe more while playing this game. The first time I know was the shotgun ambush. Then later with the first encounter with the plastered splicers.

The Chief Fox
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Mine was probably in the Garden Level, right around when you start progressing through the beginning, I walked into a room and saw what I thought was "red petals" drifting and fading away. I saw this workbench at the end of the room and walked toward it, thinking a spider splicer was going to drop from the ceiling. I hear a voice, spin around and an ugly Houdini Splicer was two inches from my face, looking straight at me! I yelled and everyone in the room was all like o_o?. By the time I had realized it was a splicer, he disappeared in more "red petals", and I never saw the freak again. :chair

DeadSpace99
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I was looking for an audio diary in the corner of a room and without turning around I tried to move back, but I couldn't so I turned around and there was a freakin splicer standing there. Also once in Fort Frolic I tried to push one of those statues in a dark room and it moved and turned into a spider splicer

xXcosmomaticXx
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
yea it did make me jump a few times.....and the review for bioshock 2 came out and the poeple working on it said there trying to make it ten times creepier, scarier, and thrilling then the first

PureTechniquex
05-02-2009, 01:08 AM
I didnt even jump once through the entire game, plus ive played it alone with the lights off & i still get no creep's from this game tbh. :p

Lemon Of Life
05-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I haven't physically jumped, but there are some moments where the tension is pretty high.

Elod
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Mostly I played the game at night without lights. There were really scary moments, especially when lights goes out in the game, but the whole atmosphere was so claustrophobic, and depressed that it was a great relief when I finished the game, and came back to the surface.

MesoZombie
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
There were a few, the atmosphere was so bleak and spooky and you would hear people muttering, but what always got me was you would turn a corner and nothing then look behind you and see a shadow pass threw a crack or something

Those made me jump

Mrpie007
06-05-2009, 03:22 AM

I was going to say this :P its back in the mortuary, when he popped out of that freezer i think i yelled and hit him with electro bolt, and about 8 swings from the wrench :P thats when i knew this was going to be a great game :P still working on it though :s to many distractions lately.....

ntb213
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh yah, the two sccariest parts were when you go into the dentist office, pick up the tonic or whatever, turn aroubnd and a splicer is right. The next is at the beginning of the game when in the sphere thing and the spider splicer kills the guy. This game can make you jump.

big red marino
06-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Heard DEAD SPACE was pretty scary, but I have not played it yet. This game was so eerie and twisted that there were some parts that definitely make you jump. Getting punched by a Big Daddy is still the hardest punch I have ever taken.

Incompl33t
06-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the only time I jumped was on my first playthrough when I picked up a tonic and a Thuggish Splicer was behind me.

OTool3
06-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah I jumped several times such as when you first meet the houdini splicer and the dentist scene. I just hate when you turn around only to have a splicer standing in your face.

king of gotland
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I remebmer one time at "Dandy dental" were i go into a room,and there comers smoke that blicks the screen a few times. And when i went to a corner to lootthe screen got smokey and when i turned around there was a splocer 2 feet away! i killed him but the fun part was when my frend played the same part and we were in the same party. He he did the exact same thing and screamed even louder, the rest of us in the party laghued for minutes!

KiwiLord
06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
To be exact, no.

Shaoty
06-09-2009, 01:20 AM
The odd few times, nothing majour. Had a few moments which I never expected such as in the fort. Used a power to the people machine then a normal statue that was everywhere came alive. Then they started popping up everywhere so I brang a big daddy with me, he teached them a leasson!

Sigma
06-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys.

My friend lent me this game so I could play it through so I came to the bioshock forums to see if I could whore some score off it and saw this thread.

after reading this thread I'm seriously having second thoughts. seriously being made to jump is really not for me...

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys.

My friend lent me this game so I could play it through so I came to the bioshock forums to see if I could whore some score off it and saw this thread.

after reading this thread I'm seriously having second thoughts. seriously being made to jump is really not for me...

I dont know how people are made jump by this game myself.

I was in awe and so anything that should have done just made me go 'that was awesome' lol.

Dont pass up on the best single player game out just because it could make you jump.

ConorC 359
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I can't exactly remember what the level was called due to my bad memory, haha. But I was entering into this operating room, well it appeared to be one and I was following a trail of bandages. So it followed it into a room and had a look at a cabinet, then smoke completely filled the room and I turned around. And what did I find? A lovely splicer right in my face. It was brilliant though.

GUNSANDBUTTA
06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't really remember but I'm sure it did at least a couple of times

xToXiC rIpPeRx
06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
to be honest i jumped through this whole game, pulled a all nighter home alone well i was "not in the right mind"

Lebowski
06-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Havn't been through all the pages, so don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but:

The part where you go to the table with the mask on it.
You go up to inspect it, think its cool.
Turn around.
*SCREAM*!! SPLICER SWINGS RIGHT AT YOU.

Thats the only thing to make me jump in a game in years.

It was brilliant!!

minimaster58
06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm on my second play-through to get the Historian achievement and it made me jump a second time when I should have seen it coming! :(

Morbid Anatomy
06-30-2009, 03:25 AM
There have been very few games that actually scared me (F.E.A.R. is definatley the scariest)- and this game actually made me jump a few times- sometimes I'd turn around and a Splicer would be right there and I'd jump a little bit. Anyone else get this and where
The scariest part in Rapture for me was when you go down some stairs in Fort Frolic walk across a room knee deep in water and pick up a tonic then turn around and there are Splicers standing perfectly still waiting for you to walk past them was epic scary for me the first time

Also is it true that the teleportation plasmid was canned? I really would have loved that.

I wouldn't know sorry

Mr Burgerz
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM

That moment fucked me over big time! That moment is burnt into the fear file of my mind! I remember wrenching the body like 10 times in a murderous panic!

middleeastbe4st
07-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes it made me jump!! Like crazy. Especially when "dead" splicers come back to life. That gets me in every horror game I've ever played lol

Drewski4747
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I haven't seen a single person mention this, the only part that actually made me jump and even yell out a bit was in Hephaestus, the first time you come across a corpse that isn't really a corpse.

It starts with a long walk down a room full of machinery, with the lights turning off every few seconds acompanied by footsteps and laughter. I was walking along looting every body as usual (the room had tons of corpses laying about), and I finally come to the end of the room and happily walk up to the corpse in the middle, only to have it jump up in my face.

As I said, I was on the phone. With my girlfriend. Pretty embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Wow FkN Robby!
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
No matter how many times I play this part, the part where you're in the Andrew Ryan factories and there's a bunch of splicers laying on the floor and they jump up to fight you...gets me every time.

There is also the occasional when I turn to look at my 6 o' clock and a splicer is standing right next to me :O

Goblikon
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I forget where, but when you examine something on a table, then turn around, there is a houdini splicer just standing right in your face, and you could be looking at that table for a full minute and he wouldnt even attack. Creepy to know that he just waits for you to turn around, then pauses, then dissapears.

kall5ter
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
i'll be honest, i had this game since summer 2008 and wouldn't play it because i was too scared, when i completed it was like 2-3 days ago xD

reason being that i never played on it is because i remember me and my brother playing on it and he went down the stairs and some crazy splicer? idk what type of character it was, anyway it ran at him, he killed her and went up the stairs and as he was about to turn the corner another baddy jumped out and screamed xDD lmfao

kall5ter
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
oh and, i entered a room the other day and thought one was dead on the floor and it jumped up lmao xD

Morbid Anatomy
08-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I remember once when I was looting corpses after a gun battle between me and a few thousand splicers. After I looted the last corpse I turned around and a splicer just smacked me in the face. I jumped soo high! I had to pause the game to gather my self I was so shaken by it, and I don't know why. I think it was because he caught me off guard. But ya Bioshock has made me jump main times and still does to this day.

kall5ter
08-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Heard DEAD SPACE was pretty scary, but I have not played it yet. This game was so eerie and twisted that there were some parts that definitely make you jump. Getting punched by a Big Daddy is still the hardest punch I have ever taken.

whoever told you that, WAS NOT LYING.
most scariest game i ever played, i only got about 30G on it and i don't think i'll play it much because i'm a wuss lmao
i guess when it comes down to scary games you have to play them at night or you just don't get the vibe

ToasterBread
08-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Bioshock is the only game that truly gave me a jump from my chair, the first time the bodys from the ground jumped up I jumped.

ironpunisher200
08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah, this game made me jump a lot. I guess I was just mostly creeped out by the entire storyline; there's nothing scarier than an earthly paradise devolving into chaos.

Spartan BJW
08-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Let's see... Atlas revealing himself as Fontaine gave me goosebumps. In the dentist's office when all the gas sprays and that splicer is behind you, I jumped (but I was a Fake-Big Daddy at the time :p). The creepy Shadow-Doctor that jumps in the cabinet and then gets you made me jump. Oh, and running around as a Big Daddy, I accidently smacked a "dead" splicer below the belt with my wrench... I jumped and he was pretty pissed.

Indie Hero
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I've jumped a few times and been on the edge of my seat because of some "Sploisahs" and Big Daddies, but nothing else has made me freak out.

Exodus 320
08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
i only just started playing last night ..but when i got to the room in the dentistry with the easy hack tonic i jumped..first i cleared evvvveryone out then i picked it up..right as i turned around there was a doctor standing maybe 3 inches away from me not making and sounds and finally attacked me after i took a whack at him (no homo) with the wrench

the first nitro splicer got me too..mainly out of confusion though hahah

VladimirK
08-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Only the same part as everyone else on my first playthrough.

The bit in the dentist surgery and you pick up the Tonic and Audio Diary then turn round and the Splicer is just standing.

My Gamertag is Papa Skull
08-19-2009, 06:51 AM
The thing that jumps me the most is when you're playing on hard mode and you hear a Big Daddy and you don't know where he is, then he comes out of nowhere and tears you to pieces. :eek:

Exodus 320
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
The thing that jumps me the most is when you're playing on hard mode and you hear a Big Daddy and you don't know where he is, then he comes out of nowhere and tears you to pieces. :eek:

haha yea im not looking forward to that one...

Alex Goodman
08-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Then the part when you find the shotty in the medical pavilion and your in the circle of light and people are coming out of the darkness. I didn't jump, but I was freakin' out. I saw that part on a youtube video before I bought the game. It didn't prepare me :eek:.

The statue splicers in the water never got to me, instead my paranoia did as I electro shocked the water constantly while walking through :p.

The overall atmosphere of this game shook me up. I hate any games that make me jump but so many people rated Bioshock highly that I just had to buy it. Amazing storyline, just I always played in the morning while talking to people or with the sound off lol. I jump way too easy:Bounce:.

I'm not looking forward to my hard playthrough...

XBLsFinest
08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I think the first time a corpse (splicer) got up and fought I probably jumped.

Then the part when you find the shotty in the medical pavilion and your in the circle of light and people are coming out of the darkness. I didn't jump, but I was freakin' out.
This game hasn't made me jump, but in parts like the one above I was really on the edge of my seat. The atmosphere created in this game is epic; and I hope they continue it into the second.

xxxRAGNAROKxxxx
08-31-2009, 02:27 AM
After you get the shotty, you can get into this room where it fogs up and a corpse is put on the medical bed. There's a Tonic to the right and after you pick it up some Splicer shows up behind you. But I totally owned him afterwards :AR15

Sambuca Queen
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Lol, Ive just started playing the game and a splicer came screaming round a corner at me! That certainly made me jump lol and Ive only just started :/

aussiegamer
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I jumped when I went to search a dead splicer, he wasn't dead, he jumped at me and nailed me. That gave me a fright big time!

Jordan11
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
One time that sticks in my mind that made me jump like crazy was when you go down those creepy stairs into this wine cellar area to get a weapon upgrade machine. You go down and the lights are flicking like crazy and one of cohens plastered men are sitting facing the corner in a chair then you see the upgrade machine so you run over to get it and then turn around and see one of cohens plastered men standing like a statue right in front of you then you think " That wasn't there before...." Then it jumps at you. Hahaha gave me such a huge fright i couldn't stop laughing after it.

xl RETRO
09-05-2009, 03:05 AM
The bit where you walk down the steps into the water before killing the crazed surgeon, you see a shadow whilst wading through the water and then the lights go off, you wwalk up and see there's nothing there, and then you walk back after calming yourself and a splicer jumps out of a cabinet xD Haha, I wasn't prepared at all.