PDA

View Full Version : Too early to call Bioshock game of the year?

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I believe so. Everyone talks like this is gonna be the game of the year but I don't think it's gonna be. There's too many other games coming out within the last 3 months before thi years over to be calling it the game of the year. Yes, it's a good game and all but I've played better and I didn't like it all that much. So, do you agree it's too early for it to be called game of the year?

The Pants Party
08-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I would definitely say it's too early to make the final call, but it's not too early to put it in the running. Obviously there's Halo 3 to contend with, as well as Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect. Gonna be a good vote.

Minty
08-24-2007, 12:46 AM
You forgot Tiger Woods ;)

CaPwN
08-24-2007, 12:49 AM
You forgot Tiger Woods ;)

Now that's just crazy talk.

JoeHacker90
08-24-2007, 12:54 AM
it doesnt matter halo 3 will be the game of the year. so if your gonna call this "bioshock" game of the year your wrong! HALO 3 FTW!

Zef
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Now that's just crazy talk.

Is that the mighty roar of Ban Ham I hear in the distance? You'd best duck =P

I'd say it is too early, we haven't quite seen the rest of '07s sizzling lineup. Assassin's Creed and (formerly) GTAIV would have been in the running along with Bioshock in my books. But the thorn on the rose is going to be Halo, you should never spoil good games with popular games.

We might even see Space Giraffe steal the title.

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 12:55 AM
I would definitely say it's too early to make the final call, but it's not too early to put it in the running. Obviously there's Halo 3 to contend with, as well as Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect. Gonna be a good vote.

That's a good point. Now if I were to pick a game now from what I've seen so far without playing it, I'd pick Assasian's Creed. That game just looks amazing and that demo at E3 just made it look 10 times better.

As far as the Tiger Woods comment, sports game don't usually win game of the year do they? I don't think I've heard of a sports game that won game of the year. I could be wrong though. Anyone know if a sports game has won that?

sawman90
08-24-2007, 12:58 AM
depending on what halo 3 is like that may be the game of the year or GH 3? or halo wars?! omg so many games are coming out!!! I need job to buy them all!!! and plus Bioshock is not online mutiplayer. or anything like that....

Cisumurug
08-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Well I doubt a sports game is going to make it GOTY this year. Not with the fantastic line up of games we have already. Unless you want to count Skate as a sport game. That has a possibility of winning.

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Is that the mighty roar of Ban Ham I hear in the distance? You'd best duck =P

I'd say it is too early, we haven't quite seen the rest of '07s sizzling lineup. Assassin's Creed and (formerly) GTAIV would have been in the running along with Bioshock in my books. But the thorn on the rose is going to be Halo, you should never spoil good games with popular games.

We might even see Space Giraffe steal the title.

See, that's were this game of the year talk gets kinda pathetic. Your right about not counting out Halo 3 because of the fact it's such a popular series and all. I don't think it's gonna be good enough to win compared to the other games coming out but it has that crazy popularity boost so ya. I think it would be a dissappointment, at least in my eyes, if Halo 3 wins game of the year.

Minty
08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
If you actually looked at the graphical improvements, the improvements of the mechanics etc, then you'd realise Tiger isnt as much of a crazy shout as you might think.

I reckon its more likely to be between Bio, Assassins and unfortunately Halo, purely because of fan boys. And noone likes fanboys.

sawman90
08-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Well I doubt a sports game is going to make it GOTY this year. Not with the fantastic line up of games we have already. Unless you want to count Skate as a sport game. That has a possibility of winning.

I don't think skate with make it too far, it's a really hard game for people who don't know what there doing I mean it look me so long to beat a few thing in the demo, just figure how hard is the game going to be?
I don't mean its a bad game it's just a really hard game and I don't think it will sell that good because people who suck at it like me, wont buy it.

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
I don't think skate with make it too far, it's a really hard game for people who don't know what there doing I mean it look me so long to beat a few thing in the demo, just figure how hard is the game going to be?
I don't mean its a bad game it's just a really hard game and I don't think it will sell that good because people who suck at it like me, wont buy it.

That's very true, but doesn't that drive you to play it more so you can improve and beat it? I know for me if I'm bad at a game it just makes me play it that much more and that much harder so I can profect it with time.

ZKRefleX
08-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Ill be disappointed if Halo 3 wins game of the year. The game is overrated and too hyped up. The gameplay gets monotonous after a while and you can't even say that the graphics are amazing because they are creating people in armored suits, not detailed faces/bodies.

Cyrex
08-24-2007, 01:46 AM
I am sorry people but the game of the year will go to Mass Effect. We all know what to expect from Halo 3 and the story will be big and all but i still think that Mass Effect will blow everyone's mind. I think that there are going to be 5 games in the category for game of the year and they are the following.

Bioshock
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4
Army of Two

Army of Two will be the unexpected one because the critics are going to like the CO-OP so much and how it revolutionizes gameplay

Vista
08-24-2007, 02:38 AM
you cant call any game the game of the year because all the 3rd and 4th quarter games have't come out yet like MoH, CoD, Halo 3, Orange Box, Stranglehold, UT3 and possibly Beautiful Katamari jk... :)

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Unreal Tournamet 3 doesn't come out till Feburary 1st of next year. Andf what about Brothers In Arm:Hell's Highway? That could be a very good game and also a contender.

yoyojovan
08-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Yes, it's way too early to say which is the best game of 2007. At least 5 more games will come out that are just as good if not better.

graf1k
08-24-2007, 02:59 AM
GOTY will either be Bioshock or Mass Effect, no question about it. Then again, it's kind of dumb to argue about this because each gaming site/publication will award GOTY individually so you'll most likely have multiple Game of the Year award recipients. But if we are talking the 'meta' GOTY, like I said Bioshock or Mass Effect and right now my money is on Bioshock. It's just one of those things like when Jamie Foxx was nominated for Best Actor for Ray, everyone just kind of knew he'd win.

Vista
08-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Unreal Tournamet 3 doesn't come out till Feburary 1st of next year. Andf what about Brothers In Arm:Hell's Highway? That could be a very good game and also a contender.

O I didnt know UT3 is that late...speaking about late wasn't BiA:HH supposed to come out in 2006... I bet its gonna come out even later.

BackerMan
08-24-2007, 03:24 AM
I think it'll be more likely between Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect this year.

BioShock is game of this month, not this year.

Clipse 2
08-24-2007, 04:11 AM
My first question is what would one look for in a game of the year? Should it be based on popularity, combined review scores, or over all actual fundamental game playability?

The previous two Halo games both were game of the year, but what was their competition back then? Halo 2 had Ninja Gaiden but blew that away because of the online multiplayer function in my mind, however I also believe Ninja Gaiden was a more graphically attractive game. Moving on to the present year Halo 3 has a ton of competition for game of the year. As many of you have mentioned Bioshack, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, and a few "dark horse" candidates like Army of Two, Too Human, and my favorite COD 4: Modern Warfare.

Deep down I'd guess Halo 3 would be game of the year, but I'd also hope to god it they've made a tremendous jump graphically from the Beta and I'm sure they have. Game of the year is really hard to talk about because we haven't seen these other games, we don't know how they're finished looks are or how they'll play. For all we know COD 4 could blow Halo 3 away but we just have to wait and see.

08-24-2007, 05:08 AM
GOTY will either be Bioshock or Mass Effect, no question about it. Then again, it's kind of dumb to argue about this because each gaming site/publication will award GOTY individually so you'll most likely have multiple Game of the Year award recipients. But if we are talking the 'meta' GOTY, like I said Bioshock or Mass Effect and right now my money is on Bioshock. It's just one of those things like when Jamie Foxx was nominated for Best Actor for Ray, everyone just kind of knew he'd win.

I actually thought Leo DiCaprio was going to. Same with Peter O'Toole this year. Actor is the only major category I consistently get wrong. I even picked all the short films and Foreign Language film right this year, but no, I couldn't pick Whitaker.

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 05:09 AM
O I didnt know UT3 is that late...speaking about late wasn't BiA:HH supposed to come out in 2006... I bet its gonna come out even later.

Yes, Brothers In Arm:Hell's Highway was supposed to come out last year and never did. I haven't heard anything about that game recently so who knows when it'll come it. Hopefully this year but if not, oh well.

Smokez
08-24-2007, 05:43 AM
I think Assassins Creed will win it. Closely followed by Mass Effect, Halo 3, and Army of Two. I haven't played the full game yet so I don't know how good BioShock really is, but I would have to say it's "Game of Right Now" and not "Year". If you think about it no game has recently been released thats huge, which is why people would say its "Game of the Year". But this is all MO

veritas347
08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
I wouldnt say its game of the year but it is game of the year quality or so ive heard and halo 3 has yet to come out and as we all know the halo series has always been entertaining and well made...there are many games still to come out that may be game of the year quality so i think its too early to call it game of the year

drno
08-24-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't know man, Bioshock is good but tons of great games are coming out. Don't forget about some of the games already out too, like vampire rain or rumble roses XX...good times, good times.

DeW222
08-24-2007, 06:54 AM
You can't tell what's going to be the game of the year before the pre/holiday season has just started to warm up. I think Bioshock will be nominated all over the place, and even though I love the game, I'm not foolish enough to say it'll win anything. All I have to do is look at the release calendar and see about half a dozen other great contenders.

artvandel4y
08-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Definitely.
Halo 3 still has to come out. Not to mention the deluge of blockbusters coming out in Novemeber Mass Effect, CoD4, Mercs 2, and many more that could surprise us. If gamefly and the USPS would hurry up in getting bioshock to me...
You know how people debate as to whether games are art, from what I've read and seen in the demo, this game is art.

Sweet666Kraven
08-24-2007, 07:53 AM
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Two Worlds yet. That game looks incredible. Although, I'm going to have to say it will go to Bioshock.

DoM cAbAn
08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
It's definately too early to call it the game of the year. There arer still a lot more games coming out this year. Like people already said, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Mass Effect, as well as some other games are coming out. But I think Bioshock would be one of the top games of the year.

Comon ST
08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Assassin's Creed for me. Tiger Woods 08 also get a honourable mention from me. If Halo 3 gets GOTY, its sorta a blessing for Bungie, as there most notable series all got GOTY honors. All in all, who cares really, all the game gets no prize, a sticker gets slapped onto the game and its all shiny. Not really much to look forward to.

Exane22
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Halo isnt going to win this year. Although i think assassins creed is going to be amazing along with CoD4 and AoT, one seems to stand above the rest... Mass Effect. Its probably going to be the most epic game to date, unique combat, great dialogue and story. The graphics are amazing, i mean all of the conversations are in real time. I think it offers the biggest bang for our buck. This game is the real deal and its going to dwarf the competition. IMO H3 is going to look like a joke standing next to ME

thecrazyguy
08-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I would say way to early. While I think it's certainly a contender for game of the year, there's just to many amazing games left this year. assasins creed, rock band, call of duty 4 etc. I would say Call of Duty 4 is one game that could edge bioshock out of the way for game of the year.

Mirksta
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Defo not gonna be game of the year. For one it doesn't have multiplayer and theres a lot of brilliant games coming out soon.

knockton55
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
halo is past its time, its gonna be good but not goty. Neither is bioshock or call of duty 4 they've been done before. The games that stand out to me are definately Assassins creed but above all Mass Effect. Just remember me saying Mass Effect will be GOTY when it becomes GOTY

poulpy72
08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
BioShock is GOTY at the moment. No other game released this year is a contender. What future releases will bring in the last 2 quarters is still to be seen. I strongly believe we'll see BioShock GOTY at a few different sites/magazines. This type of game has not been seen for many years now...last good ones I remember were the System Shock games...same developpers too. This is the reason everybody's so freaked out about it...myself included..:)

I think Mass Effect, COD4, Assassin's Creed and Halo 3 will all be good games, but will that be enough to beat BioShock as GOTY??? I don't think so...

yoyojovan
08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I think it'll be more likely between Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect this year.

BioShock is game of this month, not this year.

Ya, Assassin's Creed looks so tight, it should be a really good game.

Krueger
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
well its kinda obvious that is would be to early halo 3, mass effect, assassins creed and all easily be close to it and not mentioning the other systems

o0EVIL0o x360a
08-24-2007, 05:25 PM
No other game will score as high as Bioshock did this year. It will be the GOTY, that is all.

jtkauff
08-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Going to have to say no, it's not too early. Given the average reviews that Bioshock has gotten from most publications, odds are it will receive more GOTY nods than anything else. Halo 3 and everything else mentioned will have to score extremely well to beat it out though odds are good that it'll get a GOTY nod somewhere at least.

flip
08-24-2007, 09:14 PM
just wait for more reviews to roll in and see if it can hang up there with a 97 average score with about 65+ reviews on hand, then we can start talking about GotY.

also, NEVER count out halo 3

Haly
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm never that bothered about what the game of the year, more concerned about my game of the year.
I've played numerous games over the years that have had average reviews that I've thought were brilliant, same as I've played games score 90+ that I've thought were fairly average.

Danny Dibo
08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I really think its a great chance that Bioshock could get GOTY. This game is very impressive. Its very deep and it draws you into it.
But I think one think working in Bioshocks favor is that it has a jump on the competition, while the rest get released all at the same time in a few months. (Only hardcore gamers or gamers with enough money are gonna buy all of them) whereas Bioshock has no competition out right now, its the only game you should buy.
The other thing workin in its favor is the DL'able content. Who knows what fun stuff they might add to this game??

DeW222
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
A little off topic but never-the-less relevant:

Why is it that people have been brainwashed into believing a game can't even be qualified for a Game of the Year award (though I believe the award means nothing) if it doesn't have multiplayer? Was there a memo I missed somewhere that said I had to have my ear bled to death by a whiny 12 year old kid online for the game to be the "best"?

Although I stand by what I said earlier and won't even begin to say which game will be the "best" of the year, I don't know how multiplayer is the magical 'key' for the award to be given out. Some of the best games on my all-time list are single-player only, and most of the games on it that have multiplayer were put on it for the single-player (maybe the co-op as well).

Cyrex
08-24-2007, 10:01 PM
The only real problem with this thread is that there are too many different places that can name a game the Game of the Year. The only places that matter to me for what they call the game of the year are Gamespot, IGN, G4, and OXM. That is what i am basing my opinion on.

Nick G 42390
08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
A little off topic but never-the-less relevant:

Why is it that people have been brainwashed into believing a game can't even be qualified for a Game of the Year award (though I believe the award means nothing) if it doesn't have multiplayer? Was there a memo I missed somewhere that said I had to have my ear bled to death by a whiny 12 year old kid online for the game to be the "best"?

Although I stand by what I said earlier and won't even begin to say which game will be the "best" of the year, I don't know how multiplayer is the magical 'key' for the award to be given out. Some of the best games on my all-time list are single-player only, and most of the games on it that have multiplayer were put on it for the single-player (maybe the co-op as well).

You make a great point. The reason I think people always throw in the multiplayer part of games is because it offers more game play and can keep you playing even after you beat the entire game. I know I've pretty much already beat Gears but I still play it all the time cuz of the multiplayer. I think that might have some affect on the voting for Game Of The Year.

Daisy
08-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Well after playing the demo on thursday i thought what the hay i will get it if i dont like it well i will trade it. Got the special one as it was the same price.

So i started playing it about 6pm on Friday night stopped about half eleven started again at half fourish today thats this afternoon not the early morning lol, and i have completed it all YAH. Its the most addictive game i have played plus the achievments are pretty easy most of them as secret but i found myself getting them all the time so that was a plus for me i have a great gamerscore now.

I am now going to do it all again on hard to get some more achievments.

I cant say its the best game i have played but its near the top.

Only thing i thought i might be able to go back and get one of the little sisters once i done another bit got in the sub and the found i couldnt go back and get her so lost out on that one.

Ohhh and hello am new here :Angel

Tussell
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't really understand the big hype about Bioshock...

Also, online multiplayer should never hold back a game from being 'Game of the Year'.

SteveBIRK
08-25-2007, 10:33 PM
i dont think it will win goty. i heard the storys awsome and ive played the demo. if it only had a kick a$$ multi player then it might win. only cuz halo 3 is going to have a great story line and multi player i think it will win. assins creed will be a contender with mass effect and CoD4

darquesyde
08-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, It's way too eary to decide on this. It's a cool game but no where as hyped commerically as Halo 3, nor as detailed as Assassin's Creed, or as involved as Mass Effect. And we haven't even gotten to play Rock Band yet....way too early to call.

yoyojovan
08-26-2007, 05:29 AM
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Two Worlds yet. That game looks incredible. Although, I'm going to have to say it will go to Bioshock.

ya your right Two Worlds looks really tight, I just can't wait for assassin's creed.

Yoshi6107
08-26-2007, 02:10 PM
It may not be Game of the Year yet, but it certainly has one hell of a chance at it. All these other games are going to have some REAL competition this year.

C Murder 810
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM
i still like gears more than halo but thats my opinion. to answer the question, yes its too early to call it GOTY. plus, no one knows if the game of the year will even be for the 360. no question, there are some great games coming out but the ps3 also has good games coming out. but i have a feeling they will pick Halo 3.

TimmayTheTurtle
08-26-2007, 02:40 PM
defiantly too early there are so many games on different systems

360 - halo 3, mass effect, halo wars, blue dragon, fable 2
wii - super mario galaxy, super smash bros. brawl
all systems - guitar hero 3, rock band

C Murder 810
08-26-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah, super mario galaxy looks amazing. i would buy the wii just for that and zelda twilight princess.

PerpetualHeaven
08-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Touche. I think the main race is between Mass Effect and Halo 3. If both prove to be disappointing then Bioshock. Bioshocks reviews have been insane. I checked on Metacritic and not a single review under 90 and several 100s given.

defiantly too early there are so many games on different systems

360 - halo 3, mass effect, halo wars, blue dragon, fable 2
wii - super mario galaxy, super smash bros. brawl
all systems - guitar hero 3, rock band

PS3 - Heavenly Sword and Lair ;)

All systems (excluding Wii) - Unreal Tourney 3

Krazie
08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Nope. I've been shouting it since I got it a week early. It'll win game of the year and nearly every gaming magazine and website. It's the second highest rated game of ALL-TIME, and one of the best, if not the best, game of the decade so far..

It's not one of those games with an unbelievable amount of replay value, but like a movie, the experience you get the first and second time is what sets it apart from the others. I dont care if we'll get to play Halo 3 years later because of its multiplayer, i still dont see how "as a game" it'll be better than Bioshock..

TimmayTheTurtle
08-26-2007, 07:32 PM
PS3 - Heavenly Sword and Lair ;)

All systems (excluding Wii) - Unreal Tourney 3

dude i forgot about unreal tournament 3, its gonna own

Bax x360a
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I really think its a great chance that Bioshock could get GOTY. This game is very impressive. Its very deep and it draws you into it.
But I think one think working in Bioshocks favor is that it has a jump on the competition, while the rest get released all at the same time in a few months. (Only hardcore gamers or gamers with enough money are gonna buy all of them) whereas Bioshock has no competition out right now, its the only game you should buy.
The other thing workin in its favor is the DL'able content. Who knows what fun stuff they might add to this game??
Very good point sir, everybody will play Bioshock seeing its out now and hasent got alot of competition. For example some people may not play Call of Duty 4 seeing they may be playing halo 3 instead etc... so not all games will be tried, and therefore a possibility of more votes towards bioshock. By the way what a pathetic thread, how can you ay its going to be game of the year when at least 20 must have titles are still to come out?

TimmayTheTurtle
08-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Very good point sir, everybody will play Bioshock seeing its out now and hasent got alot of competition. For example some people may not play Call of Duty 4 seeing they may be playing halo 3 instead etc... so not all games will be tried, and therefore a possibility of more votes towards bioshock. By the way what a pathetic thread, how can you ay its going to be game of the year when at least 20 must have titles are still to come out?

everyone knows halo 3 will be game of the year :ass

Xterm1n8or
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm unsure but i think it totally depends on what kind of games you like. From reading this thread most people assume the game of the year is gonna be a shooter. Personally i love racing games so i think Forza 2 should be game of the year, or moto gp 07. It totally depends on your taste in games.

People will always have differing opinions of which is the best game so who cares what game is called game of the year?

Millertime2325
08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
It's definately too early to call it the game of the year. There arer still a lot more games coming out this year. Like people already said, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Mass Effect, as well as some other games are coming out. But I think Bioshock would be one of the top games of the year.
QFT, hit the nail on the head... Just because not many [good] Summer games come out, dosen't mean the one gem is officially GOTY. Theres still a long way until '08.

Nippy129
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
i definitely think an FPS game will win it please exclude asassins creed because that looks great apart from that an FPS.i personally thought GOW was ok and only became good when you played it with friends apart from that it was irritaing.WOW were am i going, anyway halo 3 cannot live up too expectations i think mass effect or asassins creed will win it. I really liked the medal of honor demo it looks like it will bring a diferent WW2 experience just maybe that could win it.

Nick G 42390
08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
dude i forgot about unreal tournament 3, its gonna own

Yes, that game will be great. But it doesn"t come out till '08 so it does even matter. That'll be in next year's Game Of The Year talks, not this year.

And, Fable 2 doesn't come out tll next year either.

RoT_xFaithx
08-27-2007, 01:57 AM
im saying Halo 3 hands down...:woop:

BackerMan
08-27-2007, 02:02 AM
G4TV (video games channel) think that BioShock will be game of the year, no matter what.

Apocobring
08-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Its way too early to say. Many, many good games still to arrive on the good ole 360.

L3giOn
08-27-2007, 02:33 AM

What the hell have you been smoking? Bioshock can't even hope to be in the same league as Halo 3. It doesn't even have multiplayer! :rolleyes: And Halo's campaign will not only be much better, but also have 4 player co op. Anyone with half a brain knows H3 is going to blow everything else away for GOTY.

Fullawka14
08-27-2007, 02:40 AM
What the hell have you been smoking? Bioshock can't even hope to be in the same league as Halo 3. It doesn't even have multiplayer! :rolleyes: And Halo's campaign will not only be much better, but also have 4 player co op. Anyone with half a brain knows H3 is going to blow everything else away for GOTY.

No shit, there had been so much hype and what not for Halo 3 since around April-May. Everyday is just a countdown till halo 3 comes out. and like legion said, it will defenatly blow away any competition. So I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 3 was game of the year and i can defenatly see it winning that title.

Fonkey Monkey
08-27-2007, 02:44 AM

your joking right?
the only thing good about halo is the multiplayer, the campaign sucks ass.
and besides that, what makes it innovative? absolutley nothing.

TheLazyWolf
08-27-2007, 03:30 AM
I think bioshock should get awards for Story of the year and best pacing of the year and a "best response to those who say video games aren't art" award, but not best game. Its 16-24 hours of pure brilliance but when you 1k it, you've pretty much done everything there is to do in it.

CptButtonMasher
08-27-2007, 04:22 AM
I cant believe the new fallout hasn't already been mentioned, I think its gonna bring alot of older gamers out of the woodworks, other contenders are definitely halo, and I believe the new ace combat.

DeW222
08-27-2007, 05:14 AM
I cant believe the new fallout hasn't already been mentioned, I think its gonna bring alot of older gamers out of the woodworks, other contenders are definitely halo, and I believe the new ace combat.

Uhh hate to break it to you but Fallout won't be coming out this year... in fact it's release date is Q4 2008.

Krazie
08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I think bioshock should get awards for Story of the year and best pacing of the year and a "best response to those who say video games aren't art" award, but not best game. Its 16-24 hours of pure brilliance but when you 1k it, you've pretty much done everything there is to do in it.

Again, how much replay you have in it really shouldnt be too much of an issue for GOTY, in my opinion. It should be about the game that gives you the best overall experience. And give me 20 hours of Bioshock over 200 hours of Halo 3 anyday..

Graham31004
08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Too Early. There are a few games coming out that have a chance to dethrone Bioshock.

Mass Effect
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed

I think those four games have legitimate chances of being better games. Bioshock is impressive though. Really sets the bar for other game developers.

L3giOn
08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
your joking right?
the only thing good about halo is the multiplayer, the campaign sucks ass.
and besides that, what makes it innovative? absolutley nothing.

When it comes down to it, Bioshock is a lot like Dead Rising. It will be hot for a couple months and then no one will play it anymore. Both previous Halo games were system sellers for the original Xbox, and Halo 3 will be no different for the 360. Two years down the road thousands upon thousands of people will still be playing Halo 3. Will that happen with Bioshock? Hell no. That's why Halo 3 deserves GOTY.

TheLazyWolf
08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Again, how much replay you have in it really shouldnt be too much of an issue for GOTY, in my opinion. It should be about the game that gives you the best overall experience. And give me 20 hours of Bioshock over 200 hours of Halo 3 anyday..

Oh personally, im with you, but i dont think you can discount the juggernaut that is Halo. I doubt many people will still be talking about bioshock this time next year, but i bet we will still have to be hearing about halo.. It should definitely get single player game of the year. Pacing and story wise the only games i have played that compare are REvil(any of them), MGS, or Manhunt (most underrated game ever, because of the over the top violence, but the story was amazing; Brian Cox as director was Teh B3st.)

Something I was noticing when playing Bioshock (Spoilers for people who havent played it start..now) is that the story/pacing is very, very similar to MGS. Atlas/Fontane and Liquid/Miller. You survive because of your genes, making you better than a normal man, A way to stop your heart with foxdie or mental programming, etc, etc.

Besides, gotta give the other games still coming out at least a chance to show up.. and i dont think Rock Band will be easy competition.

Fonkey Monkey
08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
When it comes down to it, Bioshock is a lot like Dead Rising. It will be hot for a couple months and then no one will play it anymore. Both previous Halo games were system sellers for the original Xbox, and Halo 3 will be no different for the 360. Two years down the road thousands upon thousands of people will still be playing Halo 3. Will that happen with Bioshock? Hell no. That's why Halo 3 deserves GOTY.

good point, but i see no reason why if people will be playing it 3 years from now then it deserves GOTY this year.

PerpetualHeaven
08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Nope. I've been shouting it since I got it a week early. It'll win game of the year and nearly every gaming magazine and website. It's the second highest rated game of ALL-TIME, and one of the best, if not the best, game of the decade so far..

It's not one of those games with an unbelievable amount of replay value, but like a movie, the experience you get the first and second time is what sets it apart from the others. I dont care if we'll get to play Halo 3 years later because of its multiplayer, i still dont see how "as a game" it'll be better than Bioshock..

So poetic and I agree with you. I think it's a tight race between Bioshock and Mass Effect. Halo 3 won't win because sequels generally never win. Halo series is not innovating and I don't believe the story is that great either. There is no way Halo 3 is going to win game of the year. I have a feeling it won't blow people away.

But Bioshock (and I've only played the demo), shocked me. I was waiting for this game since I was juggling between buying a PS3 or 360 many years ago (trying to make it sound dramatic). I was so tensed about it and all these underwater pictures and so forth. When I played the demo, I was underwater and I was just thinking, "ugh, this looks horrible." I surfaced and.. holy jebus. Astonishing and I traveled through the city, rooms, etc and the art is absolutely incredible. I think it personally blows Gears out of the water. Rearranging your genetics, creepy little girls, awesome environment, engrossing story, and moooreee. I hear the story takes around 20ish hours. That alone makes it an amazing game. Shooters hardly have a campaign that lasts more then 10 hours. 10 measly hours. Sure it doesn't have online but I think the originality Bioshock brings makes it a top contender. I just don't feel Halo 3 is going to be the champ.

My toss up is between UT 2007, Mass Effect, or Bioshock.

edit: Oh one more thing. I still think Oblivion should have been GOTY over Gears. But that's just me.

xFXBGxCorex
08-28-2007, 02:58 AM

Honestly, I think you're smoking something. Ok look, I'm not the biggest Halo fan. I have been known to play the campaign and a few online games but come on, game of the year? I don't know, I agree with the people that say it's to early to call.

To me, Bioshock is amazing. When was the last time we got a story like this? I mean its original and it was done to the point where you wanted to play just to find out what happened alone.

I'm a huge Call of Duty fan so I think Call of Duty 4 might be in the running. At this point, it really is to early to call. We have a lot of time left in the gaming year and this summer is set to be a huge one for gamers.

Scotian Bred
08-28-2007, 03:37 AM
hmm .. my early pick for game of the year and its not even out yet would be Mass Effect .. just think of KOTOR x3 now this is a game to look out for .. and the graphics are lookin unreal .. wait Unreal Tournament 2007 .. Hmm to many to pick from.

teh x3nomorph
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I definately think that its going to be Halo 3.

Its a franchise that has a history of winning, and has only been defeated for 1 month on the most games played on xbox live.

Games like Mass Effect don't interest me, but that doesn't mean that it isn't going to be a good game, I just don't think that its going to be GOTY material, because I feel confident that Halo 3 has that on lockdown.

Exane22
08-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I definately think that its going to be Halo 3.

Its a franchise that has a history of winning, and has only been defeated for 1 month on the most games played on xbox live.

Games like Mass Effect don't interest me, but that doesn't mean that it isn't going to be a good game, I just don't think that its going to be GOTY material, because I feel confident that Halo 3 has that on lockdown.
x3no you are clearly underestemating ME, there is already a huge following (even though its not out) cause all of the fan boys who love KotOR, which also was game of the year by the way. This is going to be one of the most innovative, massive games ever put together and it should have a story that pwns all since its going to be an rpg (if i doesnt then that is just sad). Halo is going to be good but its going to be the same as the previous games. ME is going to be "like" KotOR but its going to have an all new feeling and i think this is the advantage that will give it GotY. Nothing new from halo, something new for ME, come on i would think it would be an easy decision.

teh x3nomorph
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
x3no you are clearly underestemating ME, there is already a huge following (even though its not out) cause all of the fan boys who love KotOR, which also was game of the year by the way. This is going to be one of the most innovative, massive games ever put together and it should have a story that pwns all since its going to be an rpg (if i doesnt then that is just sad). Halo is going to be good but its going to be the same as the previous games. ME is going to be "like" KotOR but its going to have an all new feeling and i think this is the advantage that will give it GotY. Nothing new from halo, something new for ME, come on i would think it would be an easy decision. Like I said, I have no interest in Mass Effect, whatsoever, so I don't know a ton about it, just the demos and trailers that I have seen.

Halo 3 is just too big. Even with the pile of crap that was Halo 2, look at how well it did. And it was an average game. I just think its going to be Halo 3, even if the game doesn't deserve it.

Exane22
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
And that is what im afraid of, people giving it to halo just bc its halo. I say give it to a game that deserves it, halo most deffinatly will not imo.

ThtPepsiNagger
08-29-2007, 02:32 AM
im just gonna say it...

HALO BLOWS!!!!!!

PerpetualHeaven
08-29-2007, 02:43 AM
And that is what im afraid of, people giving it to halo just bc its halo. I say give it to a game that deserves it, halo most deffinatly will not imo.

Unless Halo brings in some big big guns and busts out a story that just slaps everyone in the face with brand new stuff, I can't really see a game that's number 3 of the series winning game of the year.

cyberhookup
08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
If you actually looked at the graphical improvements, the improvements of the mechanics etc, then you'd realise Tiger isnt as much of a crazy shout as you might think.

I reckon its more likely to be between Bio, Assassins and unfortunately Halo, purely because of fan boys. And noone likes fanboys.
Well considering hardly anyone actually spends the majority of their time playing any of the Tiger Woods games i doubt anyone will actually notice the improvements in gameplay unless you played 1 or 2 of the Tiger Woods series. You can't forget Mass Effect or Call of Duty 4. Although to tell you the truth it's way to earlier to even compare games that haven't been out for at least a month and a half. I wouldn't say its to early to put them in the long list of possible games but still you cant really judge a game by its trailer or even by a demo really. I mean yeah you get a feel for the games general gameplay in a demo or trailer but still unless you have played the full game I wouldn't make a final opinion on it yet.

PerpetualHeaven
08-29-2007, 02:01 PM
If anything, Mass Effect at the moment has the highest chance of winning. The hype and following surrounding it are insane. It's already been shouted out as one of the best games ever. It's insane.

Exane22
08-29-2007, 02:06 PM
If anything, Mass Effect at the moment has the highest chance of winning. The hype and following surrounding it are insane. It's already been shouted out as one of the best games ever. It's insane.

QFT, i really dont think Halo could bull enough stuff out of its ass to surpass everything Mass Effect has to offer. If Assassins creed lives up to the hype then it could also be in the running for GotY. But if i were a betn man my money would be on ME.

Skillet
08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh, seriousely! Do you really think the mindless hordes of Halo freaks are going to allow Bioshock to shake Halo 3 from it's throne?

Halo has won game of the year twice now...and I doubt Bioshock is going to keep it from happening again.

PerpetualHeaven
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh, seriousely! Do you really think the mindless hordes of Halo freaks are going to allow Bioshock to shake Halo 3 from it's throne?

Halo has won game of the year twice now...and I doubt Bioshock is going to keep it from happening again.

I think it could. Halo has already lost a ton of fans to Gears of War. I don't know how many times I've heard people say that Gears of War is much better then Halo. If Halo 3 and Gears of War were released at the same time, I know gears would win. I just have a feeling Halo 3 will not win.

cyberhookup
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I think it could. Halo has already lost a ton of fans to Gears of War. I don't know how many times I've heard people say that Gears of War is much better then Halo. If Halo 3 and Gears of War were released at the same time, I know gears would win. I just have a feeling Halo 3 will not win.

I wish they would have awards for best campaign of the year and best multi player game of the year. Halo has lost a large number of players to Gears but then again Halo and Gears campaigns have both sucked pretty bad so far. I mean if and when they make another Gears game I would like to see that its based all online and not a campaign based game. I think they would do better.

PerpetualHeaven
08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I wish they would have awards for best campaign of the year and best multi player game of the year. Halo has lost a large number of players to Gears but then again Halo and Gears campaigns have both sucked pretty bad so far. I mean if and when they make another Gears game I would like to see that its based all online and not a campaign based game. I think they would do better.

Yeah only problem is there are people like me who want to know how everything happened in Gears of War. I mean the story left a lot to want and without more information there will be disappointed people such as myself. I think there's a ton of potential for the Gears story.

matthewmcg360
08-30-2007, 12:41 AM
bioshock is a great game but it's just to short and lacking multiplayer to be game of the year. a goty should have great single player and a multiplayer that is always fun. i like the look of mass effect so i think it would be a contender for goty, i wouldn't like to see halo 3 get it because it doesn't really deserve it.

Ghost x360a
08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
It is WAY to early to call Bioshock game of the year. Have you forgotten about Halo 3, Mass Effect, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, and Assasins Creed? There might be others I didnt mention and forgot about.

Mr Hey
08-30-2007, 01:42 AM
If any DLC before year ends, it might be able to. Best game of the first half of the year, even though Im pretty sure August is the 8th month though.

cyberhookup
08-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Yeah only problem is there are people like me who want to know how everything happened in Gears of War. I mean the story left a lot to want and without more information there will be disappointed people such as myself. I think there's a ton of potential for the Gears story.

Yeah this is true there will always be people who want to know the story. I do agree with you though about potential for a good story. I think the campaign was to short and just the way you went about the campaign was horrible.

danjohnson58
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't think bioshock will win anything, yes it's good, great infact, but i can't see anything more then nominations for it.

Dozer001
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
I think call of duty 4 will be give it some stiff compation i've been playing the beta and its amazing!I think that halo will properly win god knows why I dont see whats so great about it :uzi:

Danny Dibo
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Just look at the scores for Bioshock. Across every publication it got incredable marks.
Either these magazines are planning on handing out a lot of "10"s the next few months, or it will have a hard time justifing picking any other game as GOTY.

PerpetualHeaven
08-31-2007, 03:42 PM
It is WAY to early to call Bioshock game of the year. Have you forgotten about Halo 3, Mass Effect, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, and Assasins Creed? There might be others I didnt mention and forgot about.

How can you mention GH3 and Rock band? Those games will never compete with the rest you named. The chances of those winning are 0:0. This race is pretty much a 4 horse race: Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, and Mass Effect. I don't think any other game is that hyped coming out this year.

matthewmcg360
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
theres no way that two worlds will win anything other than worst xbox 360 game. i got it the other day and it's the biggest disappointment ever, it looks and plays like a ten year old game, the graphics wouldn't even be acceptable on the xbox 1. it's full of bugs and glitches too. i hope that stranglehold will be a killer game and if mass effect or assassins creed are as good as they look then i hope they win something. as for bioshock it should get the best looking game or most innovative, it will definitely win something just not goty.

Nick G 42390
08-31-2007, 08:12 PM
How can you mention GH3 and Rock band? Those games will never compete with the rest you named. The chances of those winning are 0:0. This race is pretty much a 4 horse race: Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, and Mass Effect. I don't think any other game is that hyped coming out this year.

Very true. Except I'd throw one more game in there. It probably won't win, but it will probably still be considered and that's Call Of Duty 4.

Cold Rival
08-31-2007, 08:29 PM
In all honesty, I'll be furious if Halo 3 takes the title. Sure, the first and second Halos were very good, almost revolutionary, but the third installment is just a recycled version of the first. In my eyes, Halo is nothing compared to Assassins Creed, CoD 4, BioShock and the sorts.

I wouldn't be able to stand it if Halo took it... :mad:

da voodoo child
08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
it is to early but mainly because no one has played full versions of halo 3, cod 4, and mass effect

Vista
08-31-2007, 08:47 PM
It will be between
-Halo 3
-Bioshock
-Mass Effect
-Assassins Creed
-CoD 4 (which E3 already "unofficially named better than Halo 3)

I wish Stranglehold would get it but I know it wont get it, John Woo FTW!!!

russell1190
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
ya i think that rock band gh3 will be good but it will be nothing compared to mass effect assasins creed and halo 3.

Oldeez
08-31-2007, 09:14 PM
halo3...nufsaid

PerpetualHeaven
08-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Very true. Except I'd throw one more game in there. It probably won't win, but it will probably still be considered and that's Call Of Duty 4.

Someone did mention that E3 named it better then Halo 3 but that was an unofficial statement. The game looks pretty damn good. Who knows though? It's up for grabs. It seems mostly between shooters and I think Assassin's Creed has the most innovative ideas out of all the games. I need to see more of Mass Effect though but AC has my vote thus far. After watching the gameplay videos, the fact that the fighting system is so realistc (one hit and you're pretty much dead), reactions of all the people, over hundreds of NPCs (you should never see the same guy more then once), realistic movements, and so forth. It truly puts you in the position of an assassin and I love how you can blend in with the monks or just take the head on approach and stab the target in the throat. I would put more but this is my final post until I come home from work. I'll have to wait for more on Mass Effect though but for now, AC has it. I'll need to look deeper into COD4 and I'll post some feedback on that also.

Nick G 42390
08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Someone did mention that E3 named it better then Halo 3 but that was an unofficial statement. The game looks pretty damn good. Who knows though? It's up for grabs. It seems mostly between shooters and I think Assassin's Creed has the most innovative ideas out of all the games. I need to see more of Mass Effect though but AC has my vote thus far. After watching the gameplay videos, the fact that the fighting system is so realistc (one hit and you're pretty much dead), reactions of all the people, over hundreds of NPCs (you should never see the same guy more then once), realistic movements, and so forth. It truly puts you in the position of an assassin and I love how you can blend in with the monks or just take the head on approach and stab the target in the throat. I would put more but this is my final post until I come home from work. I'll have to wait for more on Mass Effect though but for now, AC has it. I'll need to look deeper into COD4 and I'll post some feedback on that also.

Agreed. I've been pulling for Assasians Creed ever since I first saw and read about it. It's always gonna have my vote.

BackerMan
09-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Here the link and check it out...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/08/31/bioshock/index.html

CNN says BioShock one of year's best.

Timpysan73
09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Judging from all the previews, Rock Band has a good shot of taking Game of the Year. But BioShock is a very strong contender.

Nick G 42390
09-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Judging from all the previews, Rock Band has a good shot of taking Game of the Year. But BioShock is a very strong contender.

Rock Band will not win Game Of The Year. I'll guarntee it won't win it. The game has a good concept and everything behind it but the singing portion of the game is what's gonna hurt it. Just think about the dumb ass drunk people your gonna find on there. The little ass kids who can't sing and just people who can't sing. Rock Band will not get it. I still say if I had to pick 4 games to contend for it they would be Bioshock, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, Halo 3, and Call Of Duty 4.

Timpysan73
09-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Rock Band will not win Game Of The Year. I'll guarntee it won't win it. The game has a good concept and everything behind it but the singing portion of the game is what's gonna hurt it. Just think about the dumb ass drunk people your gonna find on there. The little ass kids who can't sing and just people who can't sing. Rock Band will not get it. I still say if I had to pick 4 games to contend for it they would be Bioshock, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, Halo 3, and Call Of Duty 4.

The caliber of the people that play a game has nothing to do with how well the game is reviewed. If it did, Halo would never have gone anywhere. The multiplayer is mostly drunken frat boys and mouthy, immature teenagers.

PerpetualHeaven
09-02-2007, 12:23 AM

No chance. There's only so much you can do with a rhythmical game. It has the same concept as Guitar Hero, DDR, and Boom Boom Rocket. The arrows, circles, etc are moving and you have to hit them on the line. Now they just added other instruments and singing. Harmonix just used the same lay out. Simply adding new instruments, to me, does not justify winning the game of the year. Even though it looks a lot of fun and it's pretty good to add the drums and what not in, still a little tough to call it GOTY.

Also, the game is obviously just playing music. There's only so much "wow" factor into that. I can play guitar hero and be like that was a ton of fun but I play Bioshock and be like, "Damn. Damnity Damn Damn. Damn-o Damn That Damn." Enticing story line, astounding artwork, the use of those injections, and what not. The list is huge for Bioshock.

Halo 1 deserved GOTY. It did something innovative with multiplayer. It left people just in awe. Halo 2 did not deserve GOTY. That was horse kaka. Then you look at games like Gears, Oblivion won it for some other places, but then you speak of Rock Band or GH, it just doesn't really work. The fun factors there but there has to be a lot more for GOTY.

Also other genres, there is so much more room for new creations. There's so much more to toy around with. Rhythmical there's very little. I don't doubt it may be a nominee but the chances are slim to none.

There's just too much insanity going on with Halo 3, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Bioshock. Then again, this is all my opinion so there's no reason I am right and you're wrong. You may very well be right and Rock Band may win but I don't see it as being so.

brentkid
09-02-2007, 03:11 AM
How can people be saying if Halo 3 deserves it or not if it isn't even out yet?

PerpetualHeaven
09-02-2007, 03:14 AM
How can people be saying if Halo 3 deserves it or not if it isn't even out yet?

By simple speculation of what's been going out and what's been released. Gears of War was touted as GOTY before it was released and look at the outcome. It is speculation though and predicting GOTY is just a guessing game. It's all guesses so there's nothing really wrong to guess a game that hasn't been released yet.

LordDurham
09-02-2007, 04:08 AM
I have a feelings Assassin's Creed won't be what we all think it's going to be...I don't know, Ubi Soft hasn't been the best Single Campaign's producer (Most of the time...too short).

Still it's going to be on the list for the GOTY, but I think the real race is going to be between Halo 3 and Mass Effect (Or CoD 4). Halo 3 is in this list mostly because there are way to many addicted children to this game (And real gamers too) who just think to this game...

Bioshock is really a beautiful game, and I think Mass Effect is going to be a real bomb too.

Timpysan73
09-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I have a feelings Assassin's Creed won't be what we all think it's going to be...I don't know, Ubi Soft hasn't been the best Single Campaign's producer (Most of the time...too short).

I'm starting to get that feeling, too. I really, really want AC to rock but the feedback from the game shows has been a bit underwhelming.

PerpetualHeaven
09-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm starting to get that feeling, too. I really, really want AC to rock but the feedback from the game shows has been a bit underwhelming.

Care to share this underwhelming feedback? Because from the reactions I've seen, it's been overwhelming and not under. Throw us some links because AC won E3 action/adventure of the year (refer to link and title of clip I told Lord to watch).

Still it's going to be on the list for the GOTY, but I think the real race is going to be between Halo 3 and Mass Effect (Or CoD 4). Halo 3 is in this list mostly because there are way to many addicted children to this game (And real gamers too) who just think to this game...

Bioshock is really a beautiful game, and I think Mass Effect is going to be a real bomb too.

The team that's making this is the team that made Prince Of Persia Sands of Time. Anyone who can remember that game knows it was incredible. You can tell by the game play videos that the game is already innovative in so many ways. There's this one video you have to watch I forget where it was but you'll quickly see the man hours and effort put into it are intense. They think deep and have to branch from the pack. As I've stated before, not having the same NPC more then once is difficult already while having over 200 characters you'll know of. Different NPCs react to you pushing them. If you met certain people in other missions, they'll help you later.

For example, this particular video the monks. You just bow your head down and blend in with the monks. Slowly sneak behind target and bam. Then there's the ability to climb anything. Largely based around Le Parkour, when you climb things there will even be a spectacle with people surrounding you. As you move through crowds, your character actually turns. It's not like most games where you just bounce off.

I would also have to say the fighting in the game seems exemplary. The realism is there. One hit and you're either dead or almost dead. It's based totally around blocking, dodging, and timing like real sword fighting.

The first live public demo is here. It's older too so the finished project will be done nicely. (Watch Assassin's Creed Gameplay Movie 1): http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed/media.html?mode=all

There's another video there but I can't remember which. She discusses it more but watch the official game play videos and other stuff. They go deeper into it and you'll discover there's more to the game then just a guy running around killing people.

Timpysan73
09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Care to share this underwhelming feedback? Because from the reactions I've seen, it's been overwhelming and not under.

Check out the October issue of EGM, for one thing. It's listed under their "So-So" list of E3 games.

I don't recall the exact links atm, but I've read on other sites that there are still a lot of issues with gameplay and combat that need to be worked out before AC will be the game everyone (including me) is hoping for.

L3giOn
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Check out the October issue of EGM, for one thing. It's listed under their "So-So" list of E3 games.

EGM is the most worthless gaming mag out there. They're completely biased toward Sony and Nintendo, almost as bad as the the site gamefaqs.com. I wouldn't take anything EGM says seriously.

PerpetualHeaven
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't recall the exact links atm, but I've read on other sites that there are still a lot of issues with gameplay and combat that need to be worked out before AC will be the game everyone (including me) is hoping for.

EGM *thumbs down*. Assassin's Creed won action/adventure of E3. If you watch the video I linked you to they said so.

Timpysan73
09-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, I'll be thrilled if you guys are right about AC. I'm not ready to get overly excited just yet. I don't want to be disappointed if it's not everything it's been hyped to be.

JJ UK
09-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I have yet to play bioshock but I think there are somee other good contenders such as assassins creed and probably Halo 3 due to the overly large fan'boy'base :p

jonnyhallsworth
09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
from what i have played of bioshock i dont think it will be game of the year. give the splicers better AI (taking cover would be a simple one and not just attacking head on every single time) and then maybe it would be worthy but not how things stand im affraid

i hope halo 3 is good but im way more excited about assassins creed

SegaSaturnSNK
09-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Knowing I'm not a big fan of FPS, I really enjoy Bioshock. I love everything about it. It's so different than your casual FPS. Very unique and original imo. It can be game of the year. I doubt AC will be GOTY mainly because it's just a Prince of Persia except different character and different story. As for Halo 3, I don't think it'll be GOTY. It'll be better than part 2 but I doubt it'll be something that'll blow your fucking mind. I hope Bioshock gets it, it is def. up there.

ph201
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
it doesnt matter halo 3 will be the game of the year. so if your gonna call this "bioshock" game of the year your wrong! HALO 3 FTW!

"Hype" can be describe in this post.

illmatic630
09-04-2007, 12:10 AM
i think it is too early.....we still have Halo 3, Fallout, COD 4, and GTA coming out

Timpysan73
09-04-2007, 12:38 AM
i think it is too early.....we still have Halo 3, Fallout, COD 4, and GTA coming out

GTA was pushed back to 2008.

AFROxMANN
09-04-2007, 12:50 AM
GOTY Will Either Be Bioshock or Mass Effect... but Probably Mass Effect

PerpetualHeaven
09-04-2007, 04:15 AM

GTA is an 2008 game and Fallout is a Q4 2008 game.

illmatic630
09-04-2007, 07:42 PM
GTA was pushed back to 2008.

really? hmm didnt know dat..thnx for the heads up

Mr Vampy
09-05-2007, 08:32 PM
give the splicers better AI (taking cover would be a simple one and not just attacking head on every single time) and then maybe it would be worthy but not how things stand im affraid

Clearly you never took enough time to notice that the splicers will run back and find a health station to heal at when they get to low health...

o0EVIL0o x360a
09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Clearly you never took enough time to notice that the splicers will run back and find a health station to heal at when they get to low health...

He probably played it on Easy where the splicers die when they hit YOU. (thanks, static charge) ;) Really, in answer to this topic... No it is not too early to call Bioshock "Game of the Year" I guarantee you no other title this year will score higher marks than it. It really is a work of art.

Skillet
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
It's really all based on Hype and sales. Sure, Bioshock might be great (I will play it as soon as I get another 360) but I really think Halo 3 will outsell pretty much everything else. 50% of the people that buy Halo 3 are going to be buying it just for the multiplayer... you can't possibly forget that 60% of the people that bought Crackdown didn't even know that Crackdown was a game until June 10th when the Halo 3 beta ended.

I'm just saying it comes down to something that Morgan Webb said in the G Phoria "Awards" show...or maybe it was one of those stupid 60 second long commercials? Anywho:

"Okami was a great game and one that I think could have easily beaten Gears of War. But we don't make the decisions, it was all on you, the viewer. Which begs the question...was Game of the Year chosen because Gears of War was the best game, or was it because out the sheer number of voters, there were more who owned Gears of War?"

I can't say that the statistics I gave in this post were real...it was "guesstimation" or that those were Morgan's exact words...I wasn't really paying too much attention. However, since most "awards" shows go on sales, votes and sheer hype of the games, I think Halo 3 will take it. Halo 1 had game of the Year which made Halo 2 extremely overhyped. Halo 2's campaign sucks but I just went to Bungie and there were 234,498 DIFFERENT Halo 2 players playing games within the last 24 hours. Now, even with a bunch of the fanbase gone to Gears of War, most of them will be playing Halo 3. I know that Gears of War is going on a year old and Halo 3 will simply be the hot new thing. I'll be playing it when I get it and probably won't even think about Gears of War until a sequel is released. You can count on all of the loud jerks, 12 year old kids and overall assholes that migrated from Halo 2 to Gears of War to go straight for Halo 3 here in 20 days.

Which means what? About half of the three million Gears of War players will be buying Halo 3...99% of the 360 owners who are playing Halo 2 and many others who don't have either but hear hype from friends and family that it's "awesome" will be picking up Halo 3.

That is why Halo 3 will win Game of the Year...because it's the most hyped (I mean...7 Elevenan...A GAS STATION! is taking pre-orders!) Mountain Dew has it all over their Game Fuel bottles...you can't go to GameInformer.com or Xbox.com without seeing an ad and everybody who owns a 360 knows about it. It will top sales charts for at least two months (I'm almost positive of this) and there will be crap all over G4 about it.

That just didn't happen with Bioshock...or Assassin's Creed...or Mass Effect...or any other game this year. It's just too damn big.

PerpetualHeaven
09-06-2007, 04:05 AM
What you speak of is true. I think Gears of War may have still won. From a technical standpoint, Gears of War is only matched by Bioshock but even that is debatable. Problem with Bioshock is the lack of a multiplayer feature. If people are voting Halo 3 or Mass Effect will win. But if there were a panel of judges, it's a whole new ball game. I've always hated having fans vote for things. They never vote for the best but whatever is the funnest and I personally hate that. I think Bioshock has a chance but as long as the people vote, it may just be Halo 3 on top by themselves.

Skillet
09-06-2007, 04:13 AM
...They never vote for the best but whatever is the funnest...

Um...am I missing something here? I thought "fun" was the entire point of video games?

thacent
09-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Well Bioshock and Skate are my Games of the year,

then -

THPG
Staglehold
TW PGA 08
and more,

Yawn to -
Halo
Mass Effect and the likes, dont get me wrong there good games, its just the geeks and stuff put me off Halo Live and its embarrasing seen playing those games or buying them, people oh look a Halo Nerd or Dweeb, they are good just not my taste

aussie_warrior117
09-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I think its too early be we haven't seen everything so far in the year. We still have Halo 3, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed to get through to. But Bioshock is a contender for the Game Of The Year award, most certainly.

PerpetualHeaven
09-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Um...am I missing something here? I thought "fun" was the entire point of video games?

I thought clay fighter 63 1/2 was so damn fun, should it win game of the year? I guess I didn't word it properly. To give an example that may make more sense is like So You Think You Can Dance!. That show over the past few seasons has had some incredible dancers. The best dancers have never really won. Same deal. When you let people vote, they won't pick what's most worthy. Same thing with the Pro Bowl, All-Star games, etc. The best don't always make it.

Skillet
09-08-2007, 03:38 AM
I thought clay fighter 63 1/2 was so damn fun, should it win game of the year? I guess I didn't word it properly. To give an example that may make more sense is like So You Think You Can Dance!. That show over the past few seasons has had some incredible dancers. The best dancers have never really won. Same deal. When you let people vote, they won't pick what's most worthy. Same thing with the Pro Bowl, All-Star games, etc. The best don't always make it.

True...but it can also be like American Idol (I hate American Idol BTW).

Just because some of th people can sing...it all comes down to majority vote. When America votes on a person it's based on personal taste. When (God forbid) Kelly Clarkson won whatever year that was...it's because out of all the people that voted, the majority liked Kelly Clarkson. While I think she sucks as a singer...a lot of other people disagree.

Same concept...while some people think Halo 3 is a "nerd" game or just for fanboys...a lot of other people disagree and would vote for it. That's why there are very few award shows with a panel of judges...there would be a lot of angry letters from the Halo 3 fanboys when the judges gave it to Bioshock and the people who run those awards shows don't want that. Plain and simple.

Nosomee
09-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think Bioshock will get GotY because of Halo 3. I personally think that Bioshock should be GotY just because it is an incredibly original and well made game, but Halo 3 is so hyped and has so many fanboys that it will get the most votes even though there is a decent chance it won't deserve it. Before you flame me, I LOVE the halo games, and have a legendary tattoo, and while Halo 3 will undoubtably be amazing, it isn't bringing anything new or exciting over the previous two.

BackerMan
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I've seen a lot of web videos of halo 3 and I don't think halo 3 will beat bioshock for game of the year. I do still think halo 3 will be a great game and I'm looking forward to get it.

So I think it'll come down to between bioshock and mass effect for game of the year.

maximumpain21
09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Halo 3 is deffinetly better than bioshock

Bullet2theface
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
My views

1. Halo 3
2. CoD 4
3. Mass Effect?
4.TMNT!!

n1n3t33nd3lta
09-22-2007, 06:33 PM
i'm sorry, but i think that bioshock is the only game to recieve a perfect time from Game Informer magazine. And since playing it, i couldn't agree more. I think it's the only good game that 2k has ever put out.

SofaR0cker
09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Still too early to say, but if I'd have to guess, I'd put my money on Mass Effect, with Bioshock being very close.

If Halo 3 does take game of the year, it won't be because of the game's own merit, but because of its mass popularity/sales.

Chi-gti 97
09-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Halo 3 is going to be GOY as everyone points out, Bioshock GOY backup, and maybe, Forza 2 somewhere out there. It is a great game w/ a long list of followers and good graphix, it could be overlooked. Just my 2 cents.;)

manicpunk111
09-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Bioshock gets boring 2 quickly 2 be GOY. It will be Halo 3, Forza 2 or Asasins Creed

Dark Kitsune
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
I think Halo is just a hype machine. I would rather see something else get a GOTY tag. I liked Bioshock and thought it was great, but I have a feeling that it would be a close 2nd place.

ReD S1X
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
hate to say it, but i had to agree. BioShock best game for the month but not year.....

This really makes me sad...... :(

Krazie
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I havent played the Halo campaign yet, but I still have to go with Bioshock as GOTY because playing Halo online still hasnt given me that feeling that Bioshock did..

Clipse 2
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I havent played the Halo campaign yet, but I still have to go with Bioshock as GOTY because playing Halo online still hasnt given me that feeling that Bioshock did..
Krazie Halo 3's campaign won't give you that Bioshock feeling either. I waited and just started Bioshock last weekend playing through a few levels up to the submarine. The game play is superior to that of Halo 3 and really the only thing it has over Bioshock is the fan base and multiplayer. If thats how they select a GOY title then some thing needs to change. Now I'm just waiting for Assassins Creed and COD4 to come out, both should have their hats in the GOY ring.

*Edit: Damn I forgot about Mass Effect, thanks for that Perpetual.

PerpetualHeaven
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Halo 3 is out and it seems like it won't be GOTY. A lot of sites seem to prefer Bioshock over Halo 3 in terms of quality. Halo 3 didn't do anything revolutionary and just stuck to the same formula. I doubt it will win GOTY over Bioshock. Now the only thing for Bioshock to compete with is Mass Effect and Mass Effect will probably win.

SegaSaturnSNK
09-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Halo 3 is out and it seems like it won't be GOTY. A lot of sites seem to prefer Bioshock over Halo 3 in terms of quality. Halo 3 didn't do anything revolutionary and just stuck to the same formula. I doubt it will win GOTY over Bioshock. Now the only thing for Bioshock to compete with is Mass Effect and Mass Effect will probably win.

I agree even though I do hope Bioshock wins. It does deserve it. If it would of had multiplayer, forget it. Hands down, GOTY for sure.

Exane22
09-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Im going to have to not agree with that. Bioshock=fn amazing game, but one reason why it seems so good and is doing so well is the fact that no good games were coming out b4 it. So when we finally got this shiney new thing to play with it was damn amazing. Its going to stand out more bc nothing is around it, I feel like it is taking away from halo 3 in the graphics department. Think about it, halo really does have some great graphics but when you set it next to BS then your like wow look at this one. Just how shit works. Anyways its not amazing enough with or without multiplayer to win GOTY hands down, sry. There are better games coming out this year, its just BS is standing out in your mind right now. Just wait for the end of the year and c what you think then ;)

Shinsetsu
09-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Bioshock is a pretty damn good game overall. I wasn't even following it and I have to put it in my top games list. Halo 3 just appeals to me because of a friend who moved out of state can play Halo with us again *most of us didn't bother to get part 2* . But Mass Effect looks SO damn good, I wouldn't count it out of that race.

PerpetualHeaven
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Im going to have to not agree with that. Bioshock=fn amazing game, but one reason why it seems so good and is doing so well is the fact that no good games were coming out b4 it. So when we finally got this shiney new thing to play with it was damn amazing. Its going to stand out more bc nothing is around it, I feel like it is taking away from halo 3 in the graphics department. Think about it, halo really does have some great graphics but when you set it next to BS then your like wow look at this one. Just how shit works. Anyways its not amazing enough with or without multiplayer to win GOTY hands down, sry. There are better games coming out this year, its just BS is standing out in your mind right now. Just wait for the end of the year and c what you think then ;)

3 better games that it has to compete with: Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect. I said Mass Effect will win it. Assassin's Creeds formula is absolutely insane. They're presenting a lot of brand spanking new things that could make it easily win but it's tough to tell if it will fall through properly. And everyone has been touting the COD4 horn. I haven't played it personally but ah well.

As for graphics, Bioshock's is sick. It's technically not better then Gears, but artistically, it's being claimed as the most artistic game on the 360. It's splendid. Also, no one is denying H3's graphics aren't good. But they're considered mediocre when this is suppose to be the biggest game in the world and Bungie made claims of it looking exactly like that Master Chief model.

One more thing. Bioshock will always be in the run and it will be in tight. The reviews for it were mad. Who didn't love the game? The first 40 some odd reviews were all above 97.

getbusy1242
09-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Way to early to call it game of the year. It is an awesome game, but look at all that is coming out before Christmas. This year is gonna be a huge toss up. Will they go for originality or popularity?

ReD S1X
10-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I take back what I said, BioShock may have a chance on getting GOY.....

Some personal and researching that is.....

killlah631
10-13-2007, 03:27 AM
It might not be game of the year for this reason: there is a big amount of gamers out there who prefer multiplayer over single player, and don't even touch single player. So this game might've not even been in consideration for a lot of people.

J eVeRy DaY 514
10-13-2007, 03:48 AM
Bioshock is a little overrated, in my opinion.
-no multi (don't flame, i know they just focused on SP, but they could have thrown something together just to say that there is multi)
-weird save points. someone tell me how you have an 'autosave' game but it doesn't save frequently. my game froze and i lost about 1.5 hrs of gameplay that i have yet to go back and play. if i enable autosave i expect the game to save at least once in the timeframe of 1.5 hours.
maybe I just had a bad experience with this game, but I really wouldn't call it game of the year.

PerpetualHeaven
10-13-2007, 04:13 AM
Bioshock is a little overrated, in my opinion.
-no multi (don't flame, i know they just focused on SP, but they could have thrown something together just to say that there is multi)
-weird save points. someone tell me how you have an 'autosave' game but it doesn't save frequently. my game froze and i lost about 1.5 hrs of gameplay that i have yet to go back and play. if i enable autosave i expect the game to save at least once in the timeframe of 1.5 hours.
maybe I just had a bad experience with this game, but I really wouldn't call it game of the year.

You have the ability of saving whenever you want. If you aren't saving frequently yourself that's really your fault and cannot blame the developers. Really, giving the player the ability to save whenever is much better then plotting a bunch of pointless check points where you revive at. For example, Gears of War, you do not revive back where you left off. You are back at the beginning of the chapter I'm pretty sure. Bioshock, you start off where exactly you saved hence the reason why there aren't frequent auto saves.

And who cares if there's no online? The story is incredible! It's so damn quality and the entire way the game is structured is unbelievable. Most people don't know what a quality game is when it's right under their nose because they've been stuck with games that provide next to nothing in terms of quality offline. Everything is so online focused now.

Who...really....CARES! Online is a ton of fun but then there are games like Metal Gear Solid with no online at all and are completely offline based that really leave with your jaw hitting the floor. If you haven't gone back and finished Bioshock yet, that's probably because you haven't been paying attention to the story. So far I've been so enticed with the story. Some really crazy twists in there and honestly, this is what an FPS should have as an offline. When I think about the Halo 3 campaign or all those COD campaigns, I just feel sickened because they're so crap compared to Bioshock in terms of offline.

J eVeRy DaY 514
10-13-2007, 05:24 AM
yes, i know you have the ability to save anytime you want. it was just lazy of me not to think of saving, but, i don't know, i guess i just expected the game to save a few times in between. as for the story, you're also right, i'm not too intrigued by the story, i would love to play it right now actually. the thing is, i don't want to re-play that 1.5 hrs (maybe more?). which is my sole fault not the developers- this i know.
but, i don't think that ANY game should be crowned GOY if there isn't online. we are in next gen, and dropping $60 for a game, one should expect online play, even if it isn't all that good.
note- i don't think BioShock is a bad game at all, i just think it is a bit overrated (i had some friends telling me it was the best 360 game yet, & i heard it got one of the top rankings by ign). i think Gears is more deserving of GOY-- lets see if BioShock is still a top played game, a year from now.

PerpetualHeaven
10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
yes, i know you have the ability to save anytime you want. it was just lazy of me not to think of saving, but, i don't know, i guess i just expected the game to save a few times in between. as for the story, you're also right, i'm not too intrigued by the story, i would love to play it right now actually. the thing is, i don't want to re-play that 1.5 hrs (maybe more?). which is my sole fault not the developers- this i know.
but, i don't think that ANY game should be crowned GOY if there isn't online. we are in next gen, and dropping $60 for a game, one should expect online play, even if it isn't all that good.
note- i don't think BioShock is a bad game at all, i just think it is a bit overrated (i had some friends telling me it was the best 360 game yet, & i heard it got one of the top rankings by ign). i think Gears is more deserving of GOY-- lets see if BioShock is still a top played game, a year from now.

I think you only think it's overrated because of no online but that's how it works. The game has been built like a movie. I looked at your card and all you killed was Dr. Steinman. You aren't even CLOSE to the juicy stuff. You need to get past Peach Wilkins.

As for Gears, it's an awesome game technically. The offline is a ton of fun but again it's just another example of a game that's more online driven then offline driven and I have an issue with that because a lot of companies can slack mega hard on the offline. That's why I truly appreciate Bioshock. The amount of effort that went into to make all those diaries, the story, the art, the city, etc is just astounding. They didn't cut corners on the offline and to give you just another shoddy FPS offline with great online. To be honest, It's better that Bioshock didn't have online because mostly would just zip through the story and not appreciate it's worth. That's why the people who have beat the game say what they say. You haven't beaten it yet. I say give the rest the game a try and then judge it. It's worth it because if you don't you're missing out.

If you look on our site, it has the highest rating over Gears and Oblivion. Take a gander at why. Graf1k has a good way of communicating on why he may have given it a 97. But yeah, definitely give it one more try dude. I'm not saying you're wrong. You're obviously allowed to have your opinion but saying it's not next-gen to not have online comes off as "mehish" to me. I don't really feel that should justify someones reason to say it's overrated or not worthy of the GOTY title.

Blind x360a
10-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Which one was peach wilkins? I can't remember. I beat the whole game the story line was great. I just don't know if it is enough to win GOTY.

Minty
10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Just read this thread for the first time in weeks.

Whats all the Halo fanboys view now? Still GOTY? With a 7 hour single campaign?

Halo 3 may be in the top 3 games of the year, but I bet thats down to populairty where as Bioshock, Mass Effect and Assassin's have all had to built a following, rather than just piggyback on the success of previous games.

SegaSaturnSNK
10-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised Mario Galaxy takes it but Halo 3 isn't near GOTY status. From what I played, I didn't shit in my pants.

J eVeRy DaY 514
10-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I think you only think it's overrated because of no online but that's how it works. The game has been built like a movie. I looked at your card and all you killed was Dr. Steinman. You aren't even CLOSE to the juicy stuff. You need to get past Peach Wilkins.

As for Gears, it's an awesome game technically. The offline is a ton of fun but again it's just another example of a game that's more online driven then offline driven and I have an issue with that because a lot of companies can slack mega hard on the offline. That's why I truly appreciate Bioshock. The amount of effort that went into to make all those diaries, the story, the art, the city, etc is just astounding. They didn't cut corners on the offline and to give you just another shoddy FPS offline with great online. To be honest, It's better that Bioshock didn't have online because mostly would just zip through the story and not appreciate it's worth. That's why the people who have beat the game say what they say. You haven't beaten it yet. I say give the rest the game a try and then judge it. It's worth it because if you don't you're missing out.

If you look on our site, it has the highest rating over Gears and Oblivion. Take a gander at why. Graf1k has a good way of communicating on why he may have given it a 97. But yeah, definitely give it one more try dude. I'm not saying you're wrong. You're obviously allowed to have your opinion but saying it's not next-gen to not have online comes off as "mehish" to me. I don't really feel that should justify someones reason to say it's overrated or not worthy of the GOTY title.

I do understand you, and why you think it deserves the GOY. so, lets just agree to disagree. remember, i said it was a little overrated, not a lot, which i think is what you may think i am trying to say. the game is still one of the top titles this year, but not the best. i'll probably end up giving it another shot, when i get past the fact that i need to play through parts again.
i DO agree with you though that halo 3 isn't worthy of GOY either. so i really don't have a personal GOY unless Gears would be considered.

o0EVIL0o x360a
10-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Just read this thread for the first time in weeks.

Whats all the Halo fanboys view now? Still GOTY? With a 7 hour single campaign?

Halo 3 may be in the top 3 games of the year, but I bet thats down to populairty where as Bioshock, Mass Effect and Assassin's have all had to built a following, rather than just piggyback on the success of previous games.

:whs That is the exact thing I think. Halo 3 keeps getting called out as GOTY because people are so brainwashed by the first two games. The third game is pretty good and I play it often because my friends play it and it's fun to play together. I've got 1000/1000 on it so I know about the game. But Bioshock was a work of art, truly. It is a better game.

PerpetualHeaven
10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I do understand you, and why you think it deserves the GOY. so, lets just agree to disagree. remember, i said it was a little overrated, not a lot, which i think is what you may think i am trying to say. the game is still one of the top titles this year, but not the best..

It's the best title out thus far on the 360 console in my opinion along side Oblivion and Gears of War. The only problem I have with your opinion is that it's premature. You're basing it on something you haven't completely experienced. It's like watching 10 minutes of Lord of the Rings then saying it sucks. There are games like that where you can play 10 minutes and know that it's okay, not okay, incredible, crap, etc but Bioshock isn't one of them. That's my entire point. If you beat the entire game and thought it was overrated I would understand because you would have fully experienced the entire story line, the tonics, plasmids, characters ,etc. But you haven't. Do you see what I'm saying? I would agree to disagree if you took the time to play the entire thing. Then again, it really depends on your style. I can understand why you wouldn't want to go back. The first person shooting experience in Bioshock is a far cry different then COD, Halo 3, etc.

Bioshock is a lot like Metal Gear Solid. There is no online but they both have this movie like experience with such an enticing offline. Those are the kind of games you have to complete fully to truly appreciate. I must make note of something. Even though the game is only 20-24 hours, there is replayability in the fact that you should rebeat to see the alternate storyline. If you start harvesting them or rescuing them, they will have a different out come of the game I believe. Right now I'm playing through to get the rest of the achievements and I'll be harvesting them all.

Still GOTY? With a 7 hour single campaign?.

This is my point I was trying to make to J. Really, if you fully experience the Bioshock offline, you cannot appreciate the offline campaigns a lot of shooters put out anymore. It's just total and mega crap.

moonrogue1
10-14-2007, 04:49 PM
for all of u whom say halo will be game of the year i dont see why, no skill needed well some skill but every 1 has that skill very high amounts of skill make very little differnce, games like GoW u need skill and i expect army of two to be the same

J eVeRy DaY 514
10-15-2007, 03:36 AM
It's the best title out thus far on the 360 console in my opinion along side Oblivion and Gears of War. The only problem I have with your opinion is that it's premature. You're basing it on something you haven't completely experienced. It's like watching 10 minutes of Lord of the Rings then saying it sucks. There are games like that where you can play 10 minutes and know that it's okay, not okay, incredible, crap, etc but Bioshock isn't one of them. That's my entire point. If you beat the entire game and thought it was overrated I would understand because you would have fully experienced the entire story line, the tonics, plasmids, characters ,etc. But you haven't. Do you see what I'm saying? I would agree to disagree if you took the time to play the entire thing. Then again, it really depends on your style. I can understand why you wouldn't want to go back. The first person shooting experience in Bioshock is a far cry different then COD, Halo 3, etc.

Bioshock is a lot like Metal Gear Solid. There is no online but they both have this movie like experience with such an enticing offline. Those are the kind of games you have to complete fully to truly appreciate. I must make note of something. Even though the game is only 20-24 hours, there is replayability in the fact that you should rebeat to see the alternate storyline. If you start harvesting them or rescuing them, they will have a different out come of the game I believe. Right now I'm playing through to get the rest of the achievements and I'll be harvesting them all.

This is my point I was trying to make to J. Really, if you fully experience the Bioshock offline, you cannot appreciate the offline campaigns a lot of shooters put out anymore. It's just total and mega crap.

Well, yes, very true that i have a premature opinion. I can tell that you really like this game, and want others to get the same feeling that you got out of it. I would say i have a really good chance of trying this game out again, but its just not my #1 priority. if this thread stays alive, i'll re-post my opinion after i have finished the game.
i was actually really surprised i didn't purchase this game because it plays alot like condemned does. and condemned is one of my favorite 360 games thus far, but we'll see. if there's a price drop soon i may pick it up. or i could just borrow it from my friend sometime.

Nick G 42390
10-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Damn, didn't know people were still debating in this thread lol. I hope either Assasin's Creed or Mass Effect come out and change everyone's opionion on this and one of them win instead of Halo 3 or BioShock. I for one didn't like BioShock and only played it for like an hour. Who knows, maybe a game we're not even mentioning will win it and surprise everyone.

SonOfNorris86
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
While I think Bioshock is good, with everything that is out right now it seems to me Halo 3 will shut everything out. It has a pretty good campaign that you can play 4 player coop, great online, forge, and replay saves. It is just really pushing console FPS games to the next lvl. However I can't be completly sure another game that comes out in the next 2.5 months won't beat it.

DrH3rbz
10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Bioshock is a very good game, one of the best of the year, but I personally wouldn't say it was THE best, I still have yet to borrow it off my friend, reason is I didn't want to buy it after I knew there was no multi player and it was supposedly quite a fast game to complete.
With games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect, it faces competition (Again, I personally feel Assassins Creed won't be the best, but none the less a good game I hope)

theblackmetal
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Honestly I think Bioshock won't get the credit it deserves this year. Everyone cares way to much about Halo 3 which honestly sucks. Its just halo 2 with better graphics and multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, I have beaten Halo 3 on legendary and gotten all the skulls but it only took me a few days. I don't even want to play the game again cause the story sucks completely but I do still play Bioshock because it has a great story. Now watch as everyone tells me I'm wrong and Halo is the greatest because everyone is ignorant.

PerpetualHeaven
10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Bioshock is a very good game, one of the best of the year, but I personally wouldn't say it was THE best, I still have yet to borrow it off my friend, reason is I didn't want to buy it after I knew there was no multi player and it was supposedly quite a fast game to complete.
With games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect, it faces competition (Again, I personally feel Assassins Creed won't be the best, but none the less a good game I hope)

You haven't even beat the entire game which brings me all the way back to my original point. You cannot play and beat Bioshock and honestly sit there and say the Halo 3 campaign is good. Reason being is because if you actually DID play the entire Bioshock story line, almost all offline campaigns are crap. Just complete crap. Halo 3 offline is total and utter shit compared to Bioshock. Who cares if there's no online. Big whoopie freaking do. And yes, it only takes 14-20 hours but after you finished those 14 hours, you wish every game could satisfy you like that. It is the best game out on the 360 so far in my opinion. Even better then Gears. Then again, I'm sure people on here will tell me that a poster of Master Chief is better art then one of Van Gogh's paintings.

To put it in a good example let's take a hooker and another female. The hooker can do everything. Everything she does is pretty damn good but then you have the other female. She gives the best blowjob EVER. Unmatched. The hooker pales in comparison. So once you had that blowjob from that one girl, it's not the same going back to the hooker and getting one from her.

As for Mass Effect, I was watching some of the gameplay videos and the game does not look as fun as people make it out to be. I think Assassin's Creed (from videos and screens) looks and plays WAY better then Mass Effect. Just my observation.

Since GOTY awards are handed out by staff members, Halo 3 has no chance in hell. I think COD4 definitely has a way better chance. Online is much better then Halo's. Again my opinion and I've seen that reaction also from many others.

DrH3rbz
10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Good points perpetual, I may not have beaten the game, the gameplay was good and I did enjoy it when I played it, but my opinion which was my personal opinion was for reasons that I buy games, I buy ones that offer extra gameplay after the main story is completed, so in my opinion, the better game will be the game that I can have fun with my friends on after.

This doesn't mean that the game isn't good enough for people to replay it so it may well have a lot of replay factor, but for me I doubt I could get as much playtime out of Bioshock as I have with Gears for example, maybe my opinion will have changed after I have played every level in the game and completed it, but only change I can see happening would be that I think its a better game then I thought before, but I still wouldn't think it would be GOTY over some other titles IMO.

Blind x360a
10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I agree I liked the CoD4 beta more then H3.

I still think Halo might win but it won't deserve to.

PerpetualHeaven
10-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Good points perpetual, I may not have beaten the game, the gameplay was good and I did enjoy it when I played it, but my opinion which was my personal opinion was for reasons that I buy games, I buy ones that offer extra gameplay after the main story is completed, so in my opinion, the better game will be the game that I can have fun with my friends on after.

This doesn't mean that the game isn't good enough for people to replay it so it may well have a lot of replay factor, but for me I doubt I could get as much playtime out of Bioshock as I have with Gears for example, maybe my opinion will have changed after I have played every level in the game and completed it, but only change I can see happening would be that I think its a better game then I thought before, but I still wouldn't think it would be GOTY over some other titles IMO.

And you mention some titles. Name me a title that has been released this year that is better then Bioshock not including COD4, Mass Effect, and AC since they aren't out. Also, your view is typical in most gamers. It's hard for anyone to really appreciate a great story line because everyone is so involved online now. Just based off your opinion, you prefer quantity over quality and fine I understand that. You're spending 60-70 bucks on a game and you want the most out of it. But for people like me, sometimes quality over quantity trumps. I'm fine with no online. If no online means probably the best offline campaign for a shooter (my opinion), then I'm happy as hell.

DrH3rbz
10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
And you mention some titles. Name me a title that has been released this year that is better then Bioshock not including COD4, Mass Effect, and AC since they aren't out. Also, your view is typical in most gamers. It's hard for anyone to really appreciate a great story line because everyone is so involved online now. Just based off your opinion, you prefer quantity over quality and fine I understand that. You're spending 60-70 bucks on a game and you want the most out of it. But for people like me, sometimes quality over quantity trumps. I'm fine with no online. If no online means probably the best offline campaign for a shooter (my opinion), then I'm happy as hell.

Well one of the main reasons I got a 360 was for online play, I enjoy playing online, I'm sorry if this is something you disagree with but oh well.

A game better then Bioshock released this year? Well I guess you have me there, but I will assume that IMO I will enjoy PES 08 more then I would enjoy Bioshock, but that hasn't been released so I guess that does not count, unless I was to not reply to you for another 8 days or so...

BackerMan
10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I saw 8 minutes of Assassin's Creed gameplay. Very much like the prince of persia games style and I don't think Assassin's Creed good enough for game of the year.

I've played Halo 3. Yes it is a good game but not going to be game of the year. Halo 3 online sucks, too fast and it's like rabbits running around.

I don't think COD4 will be game of the year. It's a military game about war and shooting eneimes, that's it. no storyline and just great graphic.

BioShock still my choice for game of the year but I think will come down between BioShock and Mass Effect.

xGodDogx
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Ya!! Pretty Early Still I enjoyed the game but there may be something better. Havent really played to much games yet so im not sure in my opion which is the best game

pongsifu
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I have yet to play Bioshock -.-

Nick G 42390
10-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I have yet to play Bioshock -.-

Good for you. Now, what does that have to do with this?

On topic, what about The Orange Box guys? I've yet to play it seeing as how right now I have no 360, but I watched a few things on it and it seems like a fun game and when Half-Life 2 came out it won a bunch of awards and game of the year. So, does The Orange Box deserve to be in talks for Game of The Year?

pongsifu
10-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Good for you. Now, what does that have to do with this?

On topic, what about The Orange Box guys? I've yet to play it seeing as how right now I have no 360, but I watched a few things on it and it seems like a fun game and when Half-Life 2 came out it won a bunch of awards and game of the year. So, does The Orange Box deserve to be in talks for Game of The Year?

The fact that the thread is about Bioshock?

Anyway, the majority of The Orange Box is HL2 and it came out years ago. I doubt EP2 (an expansion), portal (a 1-2 hour game), or TF2 (multiplayer only) are game of the year material.

Nick G 42390
10-18-2007, 05:46 AM
The fact that the thread is about Bioshock?

Anyway, the majority of The Orange Box is HL2 and it came out years ago. I doubt EP2 (an expansion), portal (a 1-2 hour game), or TF2 (multiplayer only) are game of the year material.

I know it came out a few years ago but didn't win a shit load of awards including game of the year awards win it first came out? Anyone know?

Fonkey Monkey
10-18-2007, 06:06 AM
im almost positive it won PC game of the year from pretty much every mag/site...
but from what reviews have said, its basically an exact port of a 2 year old game so im not sure it will hold up well for GOTY

pongsifu
10-18-2007, 06:09 AM
im almost positive it won PC game of the year from pretty much every mag/site...
but from what reviews have said, its basically an exact port of a 2 year old game so im not sure it will hold up well for GOTY

Especially up against Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, ect.

Nick G 42390
10-18-2007, 06:29 AM
What about TimeShift or Blacksite: Area 51? Is no one giving those games a shot? To bad Grand Theft Auto IV was pushed back. It probably would've been a contender.

P.S. Do you see what is supposed to be released on 1/1/08? Devil May Cry 4,Too Human, and Resident Evil 5? Damn, what a way to bring in the new year lol. I think if those games were released a few days early they'd also be contenders for Game Of The Year.

pongsifu
10-19-2007, 02:52 AM
Left 4 Dead also comes out early next year, that's probably my most anticipated game.

10-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Then again, I'm sure people on here will tell me that a poster of Master Chief is better art then one of Van Gogh's paintings.

Oh Vincent was just a sissy emo wannabe. Jackson Pollock. There's a real painter.

Also, Andy Warhol is a homo.

What about TimeShift or Blacksite: Area 51? Is no one giving those games a shot? To bad Grand Theft Auto IV was pushed back. It probably would've been a contender.

P.S. Do you see what is supposed to be released on 1/1/08? Devil May Cry 4,Too Human, and Resident Evil 5? Damn, what a way to bring in the new year lol. I think if those games were released a few days early they'd also be contenders for Game Of The Year.

They were both pretty meh. Timeshift was actually quite mediocre and BlackSite looks like fun but not enough innovation. Like at all.

And If you buy all of those games by January 1, 2008, I will personally fly you to my home on your new private jet and hand you a check for ten billion dollars.

The date is more of a holder saying "these games will be out sometime this year definitely maybe."

PerpetualHeaven
10-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Oh Vincent was just a sissy emo wannabe. Jackson Pollock. There's a real painter.

Also, Andy Warhol is a homo.

Just an example but even if you think Van Gogh was a sissy emo, he still had excellent paintings. I don't care what anyone says, Starry Night was an excellent painting.

I'm not too familiar with a lot of painters, but I checked out Jackson Pollock and he definitely has some really interesting paintings. As for Andy Warhol, I don't really like his stuff. If someone does, that's all up to you but come on.. the campbells soup can. Come on.

Regardless! It was just a point. Most people cannot appreciate a real good story. Honestly, the only game I can think that had such an engrossing story is Metal Gear Solid (just a personal opinion). We need more games like that. The replayability isn't long but every minute of playing MGS or Bioshock was more then orgasmic (in my opinion again).

As for Blacksite and Timeshift. They're both nice generic first person shooters. Honestly, they really don't include things that just hit you. Like when you played Gears.. it hit you. Not everyone may agree, but you loaded it up on hardcore (or casual) and you're sitting there like... woah. Or Zelda Ocarina Time. It just hits you. Timeshift, even though it's an excellent FPS, it didn't hit me. I've seen the videos, I played the demo, and what not but really, it didn't turn out as incredible as i hoped. It was one of the reasons I bought the 360 and it didn't turn out like I hoped. Might be the same with AC or Mass Effect. I'm hoping not but we'll have to wait and see.

If Grand Theft Auto was released 07, I think it would have won hands down both readers choice and staff award. That is the only game that I believe has a larger following then Halo.

o0EVIL0o x360a
10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow, what happened to this thread?? lol All painters aside, GTA might've been able to kick Bioshock down for GOTY. That game will have to settle for GOTY next year. Either way, on the main page there's a post for voting GOTY (Bioshock or Halo 3) so check it out!! Prizes too!

Bulletman
10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
So far for me it should be Blue dragon even though I loved Bioshock and Halo 3. I have to admit though my opinion might change when Mass effect is released because it sounds grounbreaking.

TURDBURGLAR16
10-19-2007, 10:31 PM
You know, I don't think that it is too early for bioshock to be game of the year. It was a alsome game! The story to it was very good. The only thing that could hurt it is that there wasn't online but I don't think that it will make a diffrence. but, there is a lot of games that are coming out in the last 3 months of the year. Like Halo 3 just came out and that could be game of the year. Also, we got Rockband, Guitar Hero 3, Assassians Creed. So, I don't know it is going to be hard to chose. But, I do think that Bioshock still has a good chance. Who knows.

10-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Just an example but even if you think Van Gogh was a sissy emo, he still had excellent paintings. I don't care what anyone says, Starry Night was an excellent painting.

I'm not too familiar with a lot of painters, but I checked out Jackson Pollock and he definitely has some really interesting paintings. As for Andy Warhol, I don't really like his stuff. If someone does, that's all up to you but come on.. the campbells soup can. Come on.

Regardless! It was just a point. Most people cannot appreciate a real good story. Honestly, the only game I can think that had such an engrossing story is Metal Gear Solid (just a personal opinion). We need more games like that. The replayability isn't long but every minute of playing MGS or Bioshock was more then orgasmic (in my opinion again).

As for Blacksite and Timeshift. They're both nice generic first person shooters. Honestly, they really don't include things that just hit you. Like when you played Gears.. it hit you. Not everyone may agree, but you loaded it up on hardcore (or casual) and you're sitting there like... woah. Or Zelda Ocarina Time. It just hits you. Timeshift, even though it's an excellent FPS, it didn't hit me. I've seen the videos, I played the demo, and what not but really, it didn't turn out as incredible as i hoped. It was one of the reasons I bought the 360 and it didn't turn out like I hoped. Might be the same with AC or Mass Effect. I'm hoping not but we'll have to wait and see.

If Grand Theft Auto was released 07, I think it would have won hands down both readers choice and staff award. That is the only game that I believe has a larger following then Halo.

Yeah I judge most artists based on personality, and Van Gogh just comes off as too whiny to me. The only person I've really made an exception for with this personality was Edgar Allan Poe, but everyone likes Poe. Well, the Poe with effort, not the Poe who pays the bills.

And I don't really hate Andy Warhol because of the Campbell's Soup Cans. I'd have no reason to like Jackson Pollock then. It's just that Pollock comes off or gives the impression of someone with a great deal of passion while Warhol comes off as a guy who just liked to paint with colors that hurt my eyes.

And yeah, MGS was one of the few games where I paid attention during the cutscenes. GTA was the other, and that was mostly out of respect for the game more than the storyline. MGS has no game; at its core it's really just a mediocre game with great art direction and a great deal of innovation. I did pay attention on and off for the radio messages in Bioshock, for what it's worth.

It's not that I can't pay attention, it's just that there are things more worthy of my attention. 98% of games were made solely to entertain. MGS does not really entertain. It's not a game you'd play in college with a bunch of drunk freshmen sitting around watching.

And yeah, that's my problem with games. Only a few of them on Xbox have ever really made me stand back and say "wow." The first was Call of Duty 2, which converted me over to the 360 in the first place. The second was Oblivion, which really was the most deserving game to have the baton handed to, and then Gears of War. Halo 3 has its moments, but in January when I was still racking up the kills on Gridlock and only Gridlock I was still amazed every time I played it, and when I stopped being amazed I stopped playing. Halo already has me vetoing 75% of the maps unconditionally and leaving the other 25% subject to questioning. It's not a bad game, but it's not going to change the world, either.

Badge Man
10-20-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty bored with Halo 3 already! Maybe COD 4...

PerpetualHeaven
10-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah I judge most artists based on personality, and Van Gogh just comes off as too whiny to me. The only person I've really made an exception for with this personality was Edgar Allan Poe, but everyone likes Poe. Well, the Poe with effort, not the Poe who pays the bills.

And I don't really hate Andy Warhol because of the Campbell's Soup Cans. I'd have no reason to like Jackson Pollock then. It's just that Pollock comes off or gives the impression of someone with a great deal of passion while Warhol comes off as a guy who just liked to paint with colors that hurt my eyes.

And yeah, MGS was one of the few games where I paid attention during the cutscenes. GTA was the other, and that was mostly out of respect for the game more than the storyline. MGS has no game; at its core it's really just a mediocre game with great art direction and a great deal of innovation. I did pay attention on and off for the radio messages in Bioshock, for what it's worth.

It's not that I can't pay attention, it's just that there are things more worthy of my attention. 98% of games were made solely to entertain. MGS does not really entertain. It's not a game you'd play in college with a bunch of drunk freshmen sitting around watching.

And yeah, that's my problem with games. Only a few of them on Xbox have ever really made me stand back and say "wow." The first was Call of Duty 2, which converted me over to the 360 in the first place. The second was Oblivion, which really was the most deserving game to have the baton handed to, and then Gears of War. Halo 3 has its moments, but in January when I was still racking up the kills on Gridlock and only Gridlock I was still amazed every time I played it, and when I stopped being amazed I stopped playing. Halo already has me vetoing 75% of the maps unconditionally and leaving the other 25% subject to questioning. It's not a bad game, but it's not going to change the world, either.

Metal Gear Solid was a far cry away from mediocre in terms of gameplay. MGS has plenty of game but you really have to be into the whole thing to even like it. Besides, the style of the game is totally different then whatever is out now. The controls, gameplay, etc is just much different. First time I played it, I was going nuts. I was so confused for a while but every moment was worth it.

As for it's not a game to play with drunk college freshmen, who cares? They're drunk college freshmen.

Royle
10-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Bioshock is the best offline game I have for the 360 ever Halo 3 beats it online so it is a tough choice!!!!

fwconquest
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Bioshock is the only game I'm still playing long after release. I currently love COD4 and Mass Effect, but the "newness" hasn't warn off. I would currently give Bioshock game of the year, with COD4 a close second. I think Halo 3 was a big disappointment and shouldn't get any votes for game of the year. If I'm still playing COD4 3 months later I'd vote it game of the year.

Halo 3 was good, but if it was the first Halo game released now, it would get panned. It was only good for finishing the Halo trilogy story.

AlphaDog Deluxe
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I loved Bioshock with a fiery hot passion, but then Assassin's Creed came along, and WOW. I've been cheating on Bioshock and having a lot more fun. Assassin's Creed is THA BEST.

Nick G 42390
12-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, the year is pretty much over and all the game this year have cam out already I believe so, after playing all the games and everything what does everyone think now? Do most of you still find Bioshock game of the year or has something else come around to change your opinion? I'm interested to see how many people are behind Bioshock still and what other games people think are Game Of The Year material.

PerpetualHeaven
12-26-2007, 12:32 AM
I renamed a thread the Video Game Award thread. People are talking about things along the lines of that in there.