PDA

View Full Version : Can kinect games be played sitting down?

broie
04-04-2012, 05:44 PM
can they? even some of the games? because i virtually have no space to stand up and play unless i move the rooms entire furniture around

Xtowers
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Some can, but none of the ones I own so far.

MORON2
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
No, if the Kinect is situated above your TV it needs to be able to sense you without any objects obstructing the way. You need to be in the same standing position for most games which sucks and it hurts your legs standing up for too long.

I mak3 big boom
04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
No, if the Kinect is situated above your TV it needs to be able to sense you without any objects obstructing the way. You need to be in the same standing position for most games which sucks and it hurts your legs standing up for too long.

Like he said most Games require you to stand. Forza 4 doesn't to name one.

Xtowers
04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
No ... You need to be in the same standing position for most games which sucks and it hurts your legs standing up for too long.

Ah, maybe there aren't many games out yet, but probably soon with Fable for Kinect:

Fable: The Journey - E3 2011 Gameplay Demo - YouTube

The video preview picture shows him standing, but if you watch the video he's sitting for most of it.

jedioniram
04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
You can play Gunstringer sitting down, but it more so depends on how your setup is. If your couch is too far away, so you have room to stand and play Kinect games, well, then you probably can't ever play sitting down.

Foxxy kyle
04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
You can play Kinect Disneyland Adventures sitting down. You need to stand for the minigames, but while just walking around the part you can sit.

oldben
04-12-2012, 03:40 AM
When a game is "better with kinect" does it typically mean that the game is controller based, but responds to voice controls? Are there games that do this especially well?

GWNightmare
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
The 3 Kinect games I have so far all require you to be standing.

I think as a general rule...

If it's a strictly Kinect game (like those in the purple cases), it probably requires you to stand up.

If it just uses some Kinect integration (Forza/ME3 I believe/Fable Journey, etc.) it seems you can probably be sitting down.

illusiion
04-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Would the Kinect be able to detect a clear chair? Then you could sit for some games.:confused:

mamabirdmotmot
04-15-2012, 04:12 AM
I've had luck playing Kinect Sports while sitting down, but for most games I find that I have to be standing up, or at least have my feet on the ground for it to recognize me. For games that are "better with kinect" it does mean that the game is mostly controller based with voice commands integrated.

ReaptheChaos
04-16-2012, 03:12 AM
I’m in the same boat, my Xbox is sitting on my desk with my computer, I sit 18 inches in front of it and even if I had one it would only see me from the chest up. There is literally no way to add a Kinect to my set up. Not to mention that I have zero desire to sit there jumping up and down or waving my arms around like an idiot for hours on end while I play games.

The Captain097
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
When a game is "better with kinect" does it typically mean that the game is controller based, but responds to voice controls? Are there games that do this especially well?
That is usually what it means, yes. I've never actually tried it with any game though.

Isabel57
04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgNo, if the Kinect is situated above your TV it needs to be able to sense you without any objects obstructing the way.

Calamadia
04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I know Gunstringer is one, as mentioned before, some of those Funlab games would have been MUCH more tolerable grinding out if you could sit, IMO. I have to move my furniture around to play Kinectimals and it's a pain, I have heard some people getting good luck using the Kinect Zoom with limited space, but I still havent gotten it myself yet. There might still be a thread floating around about it. I wish I could sit for at least some parts of the games, I can't stand that long, I've got some spine trouble that really put a damper on my kinect use. :(

ckline32
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Ive tried to just never works but then again i only own 2 kinect titles

Pyrochaos
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM

No, it means that some function of Kinect has been added, either voice or motion, and is optional.

A few have been voice only, like Mass Effect 3, and the Skyrim update. But Child of Eden, Tiger Woods 13, and a few other have full kinect support (voice and/or motion) as an option.

SpacewardAsh
04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I've managed to play Forza 4 and also Kinect Joyride sitting down before. I've also played parts of Kinectimals sitting down too. I guess it all depends on how you've got the kinect sensor set up to detect where you are...

nils0
05-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I still have no idea how they're going to figure out how to make a kinnect game that isn't an on-rails "shooter"...... or free-motion game that actually has good controls (I'm looking at you rise of nightmares).

CHAOSMASTER237
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I know u can play kinect joyride sitting down

MetalVixen
05-29-2012, 08:52 PM
i don't really see a point of getting a kinect if you don't have room for it... kind of the whole point is so you can move around and be active... sitting down would take the fun out of it. :p

Hybridchld
05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I've played some games sitting on a high bar stool.

Works welll if you dont need your legs as it keeps you at the same hight as if you where standing

CrimsRayne
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I've played some games sitting on a high bar stool.

Works welll if you dont need your legs as it keeps you at the same hight as if you where standing
I do the same thing with some games. It works well for kinect disneyland adventures as you can sit down while running around the park and then just hop up for the mini games.

Kinkimono
06-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I have my kinect ontop of the TV and I've been playing quite a few games sitting down, to name a few; Kinect Joy Ride, Diabolical Pitch, most of Kinectimals, Body and Brain Connetion (the parts where you don't need to use your legs) and Fruit Ninja (while farming the achievement for X amount of fruit). Menus usually work really well in games you need some rest between the actual requiring parts within the game. Haven't tried The Gunstringer yet but I've seen people sitting down in videos. My chair puts me about 1 head lower than when I'm standing.

anoxia
06-04-2012, 01:07 AM
I find the latest Ghost Recon gun customization hard to control with the Kinect sitting down.

OwlsNewts
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
For some games which require the player to be standing up, sitting down is somehow still possible. Once, I lowered myself and sat on a chair behind me - very slowly. It worked.

Hydraulickitty
06-16-2012, 03:03 AM
That defeats the purpose.

napoearth
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I would think that any game that does not have to track you lower body movement could be played sitting down.

Dalek Nation
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
My Kinect is posted high on TV (c. 5'). I use a stool which is slender (stays behind my legs completely) and kind of tall (the stool is almost two feet). I have luck playing Leela, Child of Eden, and of course gunstringer. However sitting on a couch won't work for me at all, not even on Gunstringer.
A bar stool might work, if it was really narrow...

TVthePunisher
07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
That's the thing I liked about the Wii's gimmick...you COULD play games sitting down, I did it all the time when I had a Wii. The Kinect...not so much. =/ I usually slide my bed off to the other half of the room then if I need to sit, I just sit off the path of the sensor bar usually on the bed.

Alkisman
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Skyrim have a kinect function now. Only voice commands, but it works really well and its alot more fun to play imo.
Fruit Ninja (arcade) is also possible to play sitting down. just wave with your arms :nana

wheeler8106
08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
The revised halo has voice commands incorporated into it. I didnt think it would work but the reload command does come in handy

Dalek Nation
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a special stool which works for all games I've tried so far as long as you don't have to hop side to side.
Basicly the stool is completely hidden by my legs and kinda shaped like legs. It is dark colored (i'm a pale whitey) which I believe helps it blend with my couch behind me when I kick my legs (ala Junk Fu). It is shorter than a barstool, the seat itself is only 5 - 6 inches in diameter and I use a cusion about 7" squared. My configuration is kinect over tv, about 5' up.
This has worked for Kin Sports 2 darts, Deepak's Leela, Gunstringer (obviously), Junk Fu, Fruit Ninja, and Child of Eden, which surprised me most. I'd be really surprised if it didn't work for Diabloic Pitch or other games requiring little side-to-side movement.

Arsenic 17
08-16-2012, 08:30 PM
the only "game" I have found so far to work sitting completely down (on a couch or love-sac) is avatar kinect. You can lay down and roll around and everything...it still works. You character on screen really glitches out though...seizure-ish. However, it does notice if you slowly roll of the couch, onto the floor, and out of its view...

TheRequiem95
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Gunstringer is the only one I know of that is designed to work while seated, but I've sat for a bit while playing the Once Upon a Monster game with my kid, and it seemed to work "okay" depending on what the game wanted us to do.

Ev0 Fir3 2009
10-04-2012, 09:30 AM
most kinect games need you to stand to see your body

hoferchr
11-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Well, "Fable: The Journey" actually can be played sitting down. I tried some of the demo, and I believe it actually said to sit down in a chair in front of your TV. That's what I recall, at least.

Graivul
11-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I had actually given some thought to the sitting down issue myself. Primarily because I have a friend who is a wheel chair and wondered how he would get on if he decided to buy a Kinect. He doesn't play games on consoles, he is a PC gamer but it just raised the question in my head more than anything and got me pondering....

vickysunny
11-08-2012, 02:29 AM
You can do parts of the game sitting down...Gunstringer can be played sitting down. That's actually one of its selling points. Forza 4's head tracking should also work sitting down. Not sure about Child of Eden though. :Bounce:

Jmocox
11-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Who wants to be a Millionaire 2012 Edition can be played sitting down. I'm pretty sure that's how it was intended as well.

Dog Face
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I've had luck playing Kinect Sports while sitting down, but for most games I find that I have to be standing up.
Same here. With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I've had a little luck playing sitting down solo.

daytonmarsh
11-14-2012, 12:29 AM
hopefully they can be

Paul Zap
11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
None that I know of.

NoVa x Killa
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
They can be played, but your Kinect would have to be able to see you fully and currently the Kinect is kinda clunky when tracking MY body... maybe its the way I play or my gaming environment. :)

friendhere
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
I think Kinect gives the most fun if you're moving your whole body :P

TheCookie
04-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I haven't really played through the whole game, but I think Child og Eden can be played sitting.

FrozenRaptorz
04-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Not all!
Dead space you can do some voice commands. Neat stuff.

Skorpion XBA
04-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Gunstringer and oddly enough both Nickelodeon Dance games can be. I just moved my arms the way they did and got 3 stars on almost all of the songs.

Samarin_6
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Gunstringer works well seated, as others have said. Havent run into many others that do. Then again. i mostly have work out type games so seatign would be counter productive.

Crimson x360a
04-19-2013, 03:33 AM
Gunstringer works well seated, as others have said. Havent run into many others that do. Then again. i mostly have work out type games so seatign would be counter productive.

Best type of work out is sitting. Gets me every time. I haven't played one where you could play while seated.

airbornespoon
05-27-2013, 12:17 PM
like it has been said forza 4 can be played sitting down but the gameplay is harder because it doesn't see you as well.

TAs Icaf4ll3n
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
i have never been able to succesfully play any kinect game sitting down so idk might depend on the chair height