PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody find this game scary/eerie?

xReadMyMindx
04-05-2012, 12:18 AM
So did anybody find this game scary or eerie? Personally, I found it to be really eerie! Absolutely loving it so far! :) Would be interested to know what people think.

Tommy Gun 81
04-05-2012, 12:51 AM
As always...the overall atmosphere is just so creepy! Especially once entering the city of Silent Hill...

ImaginaryRuins
04-05-2012, 08:18 AM
As always...the overall atmosphere is just so creepy! Especially once entering the city of Silent Hill...

I've also played Homecoming. IMO, Homecoming's silence and fog makes the atmosphere more scary for me, and the Otherworld's environment is more metallic and bloodier, but the houses in Downpour are more 'rundown' and darker so I find it scarier in a house instead of walking on the streets.

And I just love the Gramophone sidequest - the moment I found out what happened in the house and had no idea how to resolve the "problem" afterward.

Hoborg
04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I've also played Homecoming. IMO, Homecoming's silence and fog makes the atmosphere more scary for me, and the Otherworld's environment is more metallic and bloodier, but the houses in Downpour are more 'rundown' and darker so I find it scarier in a house instead of walking on the streets.

And I just love the Gramophone sidequest - the moment I found out what happened in the house and had no idea how to resolve the "problem" afterward.

Agreed, the gramophone quest was really well done. There were a few scary moments but overall I felt comfortably safe.

Gor1lla
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Downpour had an intense atmosphere, i really enjoyed exploring Silent Hill. The dolls were scary at first, but that's it.

I <3 gramophone quest, it should get its own game :bow:

MLG=Most Likely Gay
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Gramophone quest was fantastic. Does anyone know if they had a different team member design each side quest or were they all this big collaborated effort. Also Tell Tale Heart had screaming near the end.

o0ArA0o
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Hated the otherworld ... the big thing hunting you was nice for one or two times, but since then it was only dumb and destroyed the atmosphere of this hell part of the former games. You knew always in the old games when the screen changes that shit got serious and you feared those moments and the things that where before you. In this game the only thing I thought was - yay another chicken run with great big bubble in the neck that passes through walls when Im to fast and bites my ass when Im to slow or lost in the maze design with no idea to go - not scary at all.
So, atmosphere in
The Otherworld - shit
The way to Silent Hill - nice
Silent Hill / Prison - ok
Inside the Houses - great

Suki
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I did my first playthrough and thought the game was amazingly unscary but on my 2nd run through i turned on my home cinema setup and then it completly changed the game, u can here so much more and it actually was really creepy in thumping 5.1 effects.

Rep
04-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I jumped a few times during the game but not as much as previous Silent Hill games.

Bobo
04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
The "Ribbons" side quest ended up being way darker and more f*&#ed up than i thought it was going to be when i started it. Themes like this affect me more now that i have a baby, myself. Gramophone was sweet... called my wife over to watch that one. Overall enjoyed the whole game more than i expected. The details of the story were very cleverly dished out to the player, and the game was actually way cooler the 2nd time around because all of the seemingly random flashes and cutscenes have a lot of significance that is lost the first time around.

Pusha
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I'll admit, I did jump a few times on my first play-through.

HabsCen10ial
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
I made a mistake and voted option 3 when I meant option 2.

There were a few parts that made me jump. It still wasn't as scary as I had hoped.

B00K
05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up to the Gramaphone!
The Prison "flash" scene at 1am in my dark apt. with the surround sound made me scream for jesus for a second...

I think i may pick up the HD collection to remind myself of how awesome number 2 was...

garabee
05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
yea i collapsed the 1st time the screamer chased me on pursuit

Enix2000
07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Downpour was over all scary but I felt safe for the most part. one of the spots that got me was when you first fight the weeping bat. Never saw him just THUMP! right on my head. Jumped good on that one.

SpinelessPorcupine
07-20-2012, 06:06 AM
A little bit.
The scariest part had to be during the Monastery/Orphanage in that one room with the three Screamers on the stretchers. I had no idea what I was doing at first so I went up to the closest one and pressed A, not knowing what that would do; which made me put my hand near the Screamer, which made it swipe. I pressed A again, once again not knowing what would happen. This time I was NOT expecting an extremely loud screech, especially with my TV turned up so high...damn-near sh*t myself for sure that time and I jumped higher than I ever have!

ImaginaryRuins
07-27-2012, 04:06 AM
A little bit.
The scariest part had to be during the Monastery/Orphanage in that one room with the three Screamers on the stretchers. I had no idea what I was doing at first so I went up to the closest one and pressed A, not knowing what that would do; which made me put my hand near the Screamer, which made it swipe. I pressed A again, once again not knowing what would happen. This time I was NOT expecting an extremely loud screech, especially with my TV turned up so high...damn-near sh*t myself for sure that time and I jumped higher than I ever have!

Oh this ^_^, I too was scared once in my 1st playthrough when I picked the wrong Screamer for the key, and its sudden scream shocked me.

FaSCoRP
08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I played it during the nights, and because the weather here, those days were mostly cloudy and rain, so I picked up #1.

Buruma
08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Agreed. Overall, Homecoming provided more scares for me. (The second game will always be the scariest one for me, though. Nothing compares to the sound of Pyramid Head's knife being dragged across the floor of the apartments.) Areas with Nurses are usually particularly tense in Silent Hill games. I was very disappointed by the lack of Nurses in Downpour. :(

Kairi Nunjutsu
02-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Personally i didn't find any part of downpour scary or eerie, it actually managed to bore me slightly at some points.

I even tried playing it in the dark with headphones on, turned up full and still was not scary at all in my personal opinion.

FaSCoRP
02-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Remember that also you can enable 3D if your TV is capable. Looks good.