PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Silent Hill HD or The Original PS2 releases?

way2sl0w
04-08-2012, 06:30 AM
I've never played any silent hill before downpour and heard a lot of people rave about how Silent Hill 2 is not just good, it's the game they play every now and again to remind themselves that gaming is still worth defending. So is it better played on PS2 or the HD collection? I've been eagerly awaiting the HD release but a couple reviews are saying there's a lot of glitches, frame rates taking a dive, and removed the signature fog effect, downplaying important scenes, etc. but others didn't mention that and gave it a good score. I'm not sure who to believe here.

cHRiSCOe
04-08-2012, 06:31 AM
wouldnt the hd be the same but better?

Kovy88
04-08-2012, 06:58 AM
There was nothing wrong with it, when I played SH2 HD. To my understanding the Ps3-version has some problems, not Xbox. I don't see the reason to dust off Ps2, when you have better graphics, achievements and other XBL benefits like party chatting with friends while playing it and such. You should anyway had played these games years ago if you are really interested in Ps2-versions.

Schism
04-08-2012, 07:08 AM
There was nothing wrong with it, when I played SH2 HD. To my understanding the Ps3-version has some problems, not Xbox. I don't see the reason to dust off Ps2, when you have better graphics, achievements and other XBL benefits like party chatting with friends while playing it and such. You should anyway had played these games years ago if you are really interested in Ps2-versions.

Yeah you should check out the fan sites for the game. People are going off that there isnt "enough fog" and the sound additions are terrible. Its really no big deal. Im a huge fan of the series, and it was nice just being able to play in hd and go through the games again. And correct me if im wrong but buying sh2 and sh3 new would come out to the same price for the HD collection, $40 (20 each?). Least I think so, last time at gamestop thought it was $20. I would recommend getting it on xbox, like this guy said the ps3 version has a lot of glitches and problems (like most ps3 releases for some reason).

Herr Shaun
04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Get the 360 version of HD Collection. If you try to find the original PS2 versions, you're going to either going to have to look online, or sift through every used game store in your area hoping it's there. Trust me, the former is much, much easier.

Ceris
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
/rant

I haven't tried SH2 yet, but after seeing/hearing the problems with SH3, I am very hesitant. I have seen some video though. The "fog effect" is actually important to the series giving you a claustrophobic, oppressive feeling and such. Sometimes the fog is used to cut off things that aren't supposed to be seen, but since the fog isn't there, you are looking at a gray wall, like the scene with Maria the first time.

Also, the sound effects are horrible. The static of the radio is sloppily looped to where you can hear it end and begin, and the same goes with James's breathing. When you stop running, it sounds like they took 1 breath from a person and looped it.

Can't do that with SH3 at times. When you meet the nurses or shoot the Submachine Gun, your sound fucks up so much that party chat goes silent. (at least with my headset it did). I just gave up and left my party because I couldn't hear them...

/rant

Honestly, I thought about giving this game straight back to Gamestop and asking for a full refund after just 2 days.

Herr Shaun
04-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I haven't tried SH2 yet, but after seeing/hearing the problems with SH3, I am very hesitant. I have seen some video though. The "fog effect" is actually important to the series giving you a claustrophobic, oppressive feeling and such. Sometimes the fog is used to cut off things that aren't supposed to be seen, but since the fog isn't there, you are looking at a gray wall, like the scene with Maria the first time.
If you're playing the game for the first time, how will you know the difference? The fog isn't so reduced that it could kill the experience. Look at SH1, it had just a wall of fog, and did anyone hate it for that?

You only have to walk through fog world for about 10-20% of the game. The rest you're in pitch black buildings and the Otherworld Silent Hill. Plenty of claustrophobia there, wouldn't you say?

Also, the sound effects are horrible. The static of the radio is sloppily looped to where you can hear it end and begin, and the same goes with James's breathing. When you stop running, it sounds like they took 1 breath from a person and looped it.
First-timers might notice this one, but I doubt it will kill the experience for them either. I was so invested in the actual gameplay that I didn't notice myself until someone mentioned it.

Honestly, I thought about giving this game straight back to Gamestop and asking for a full refund after just 2 days.
At Gamestop? Good luck.

victimroyalty
04-08-2012, 04:40 PM
It's honestly up to you. There is so much backlash about the HD release. Some is deserving, some is not. Yes, there are some issues but not near as many as the PS3's version is having. I've experienced no frame rate stutters or freezes, or anything like that. I have however had audio glitches and some lip sync issues. They also seemed to have removed some fog which makes players able to see where they stopped designing the level as the fog was supposed to make it seem finished. If your worried about the things they changed in the game (road signs, some item textures, save points moved, and other things. It may be worth mentioning no original voices are present for Silent Hill 3 so you must play with the new ones which aren't the best, but Silent Hill 2 gives you the option of new or old.) and would rather play them how they were originally created then I guess the PS2 versions are for you. Honestly, I think the collection is great. It looks really good, and the series is just great as a whole.

Creazil
04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Silent Hill 3 is the only game I've had issues with on the HD collection. If you use the submachine gun, it doesn't sound like one and the noise of the gun goes from loud to quiet, loud to quiet etc... When you kill a boss in the game too, it lags and jumps, leading to, probably like me, a 2 minute wait for the first boss to fall and die in a 2 second cutscene. And if you use the submachine gun on the bosses... it's even worse. If you want to just enjoy the games and aren't fussed about the HD, definitely get the PS2 releases, especially for Silent Hill 3. I mean, the HD collection is amazing and the upscaling is VERY good.. it's just a couple of hitches that let it down. If you can put up with these things (like me, I don't mind), then get the collection.

Collier1313
04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I didn't even notice the difference in the fog in 2, but then again it's been YEARS since I've played it. I wonder if they actually removed it or if the HD conversion just made it grainier making it look like there's less...

KingsGambit08
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Hmm, this thread actually makes me feel safer about trying this out. The overboard negativity everywhere was really scaring me off it...

fivebyfive200
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Can't believe anyone would say there is nothing wrong with it, one major thing is when an achievement pops the frame rate goes to shit at certain points like when I got Where the letter and Don't keep her waiting but it was not as bad as Childhood trauma

Even when it loads the results screen at the end of the game it looks like its crashed. yes I have installed the thing to the harddrive and not my machine as happens to everyone.

The ps3 version needs a 4 gig install and has even worse problems! Its lazy and shit port by a unknown and crap studio. Fuck them

Bobo
04-09-2012, 02:18 PM
i've been a huge fan since SH1 on ps1 and ive played every single game since. that said, i had an absolute blast playing sh2 (8 times for the achievements) from the hd collection, and am now in the middle of sh3 without having any major issues so far, though it is my first run and i dont have the uzi yet. i would much rather enjoy them on 360 with the higher quality audio and at the very least, slightly upgraded graphics.

i did notice some bad audio looping as well, but that's because the game's overall audio quality is improved, as well as most peoples audio systems. who would've noticed bad radio static looping back in the day when all of the audio came out of your shitty tv speakers?

yeah, the game slows down when achievements pop and for the results screen... but i dont consider those gamebreaking, "gimme my money back" kind of issues. they didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.

Ceris
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
i did notice some bad audio looping as well, but that's because the game's overall audio quality is improved, as well as most peoples audio systems. who would've noticed bad radio static looping back in the day when all of the audio came out of your shitty tv speakers?

yeah, the game slows down when achievements pop and for the results screen... but i dont consider those gamebreaking, "gimme my money back" kind of issues. they didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.
I noticed the loop thing as soon as I got in the first elevator in SH3. The reason why I wanted to give it back was because the game seemed impossible for me to beat because it kept freezing. I have had the game freeze 3 times out of 3 attempts. That sounds pretty broken to me, 100% of the time it has failed.

But, for anyone who has never played the original games, you should get the HD collection over the PS2. The problems are small, and if you can overlook things, this will be an excellent game.