PDA

View Full Version : This Or Silent Hill HD?

CalSlayer
04-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm stuck deciding between this or the HD Collection, I have never played any of the Silent Hill games and have hardly played any Survival Horror Games, I've read some reviews and I've been edged into buying the HD Collection, but I want to know which one has the more in depth story line and the one that is sure to spook me out!

I've posted this on both forums, hopefully getting one or the other tomorrow & I want to know what i'm gonna get the most out of & which one I am going to enjoy more.

Craphex
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I got both the same day last week, did a bit of silent hill 2 and 3 but the glitches and things were annoying me, I have just completed downpour a few minutes ago and game is definitely worth getting.
I would get downpour, then hopefully a patch will come out to fix the HD collection, so play that one then :P
Also each silent hill story is different so you won't need to play the earlier ones to understand this one.
All of them have good stories, I actually prefer downpours story, although some people may hate me on that :P but the originals have more spookiness about them, there was only 2 or 3 scenes on downpour that felt scary, and no rape :(

Subion
04-10-2012, 05:24 AM
I got both but havn't started HD yet. I never played more than a few hours of Silent Hill 1 and 2 and never touched the others until Homecoming. I was always more of a Resident Evil fan.

Unfortunatly the HD collection is 2 and 3. 3 is suppose to be a sequal to the first that takes place 18 years later (I think it was) So you will miss out on alot of refrences to the first game that are made in it from what i heard. I've read the HD upgrade had alot of promlems with 2 so it looks like the fog is lighter than it should be and in cutsceens it show more than it should so some of the areas look like there is stuff missing or poor graphics. 3 is better but not by much.

Downpour has been fun from what I've played. There are some annoying parts but nothing you can't get pass after a couple tries. There are glitches that can happen and mess you up to the point you have to reboot the game or start over from scratch.

If you want to try one to see what Silent Hill games/ survival Horror is like you might want to check homecoming out first. It should be cheep if you find a used copy somewhere and one of the benefits of it is you can ulock weapons to help you on your next play through. One makes the game super easy but you have to make sure you get the right ending. Even your first run without the weapons is easy.

AlvarezJPN
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
I would get DMC HD much better!

heartswarm
04-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I beg to differ on the point that you'd miss references to SH1 if you got SH2 + 3. They stand alone strongly and in fact the only direct reference I can think of having just finished 2 (though I'm yet to get stuck into 3 again) is one of the 'jokey' endings that stars Harry from SH1. It's not even possible to get that ending on your first playthrough. The only 'character' that recurs in SH HD Collection is the town itself.

I bought SH HD to get my nostalgia on, and rented Downpour because I was worried it wouldn't be worth the purchase. SH HD definitely captures more of an atmosphere of dread and horror. It does play just like a PS2 game though (because, well, it is one, after all :) ). Downpour is good too, though nowhere near as horrifying and claustrophobic. The earlier games just seem to be able to creep right under your skin. Overall I'd say either are a great option for introducing yourself to Silent Hill, it really depends on if you'd prefer fancier graphics and more overt characterization (Downpour) or genuine despair but clunkier and occasionally just plain frustrating controls (HD). Either way I think you'll have fun - at least, I did. :)

Chaos MAN
04-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Silent Hill HD > Downpour.

Rep
04-14-2012, 12:27 AM
I was deciding on that as well, but ended up purchasing Downpour. I'm satisfied with my decision, but I think I might go out and buy the HD collection. Big fan of Silent Hill and would love to play the HD collection of 2 and 3 sometime.

dmosbon
04-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Never played a SH game before I've gone with Downpour...

DarkSephiroth
05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Definitely Silent hill HD. Silent Hill 4, homecoming and downpour are just random horror games with the name 'Silent hill' on there to boost sells.

^_^x Yashiro
06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Definitely Silent hill HD. Silent Hill 4, homecoming and downpour are just random horror games with the name 'Silent hill' on there to boost sells.
Sure!, I miss the old and good SH's