PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of having the pay phone?

logitech
08-24-2007, 07:46 PM
can anyone tell me what is the point, of the pay phone?

The Pants Party
08-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I was hoping there was some secret to it, but I never found that it did anything. I'd be interested to see if it just hasn't been found yet, but as of right now it looks like they're useless...

Tankazz X
08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
I doubt theres any use to them. No achievements are tied to them and no hidden radio diary things, etc etc. Shame, though.

Zef
08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
They have the same purpose as the toilets, basins, eye washing stations and news vendors. They are for decoration and make Rapture feel more like a real city. It looks pointless, but it goes to show they put some effort in even on the smaller details.

Although I have a theory that some of the useable objects like phones in the game can be used to get the attention of enemies so you can lure them into traps. I was in Fort Frolic (I think) where there is a guitar, I have the camo tonic so when I was scouting the area I decided to use the guitar. Soon after a splicer came up to 'check out' that area, but it might have just been a random wanderer.

Tankazz X
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
If they start muttering about hearing something then they are probably searching out a noise or something you did, If they casually came up to the room mumbling the normal stuff they do, then thye were just wandering,

The Bad Sniper2
08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe there might be some downloadable content that involves the phones but other than that I have no idea

Bax x360a
08-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Same with the fortune telling machines aswell, you have to pay $1 to use them, and for what? They didnt seem to do anything at all :confused:

darquesyde
08-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Maybe someone at 2K games has a thing for flushing toilets. They did The Darkness, and the toilets were usable in that game as well. Then again, maybe someone just really, really likes Duke Nukem.

Krueger
08-27-2007, 01:33 AM
they are there for show to make the game seem more life like

russell1190
08-27-2007, 01:37 AM
i agree with Krueger the toilets and everything else is to make it more lifelike

K00PA TR00PA
08-27-2007, 02:03 AM
I was dissapointed the phones didnt really do anything but i thought the guitar and piano were pretty cool.

TheLazyWolf
08-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Has anyone gotten a positive fortune from the fortune teller machine? They always tell you you are gonna die/lose. They are always by slot machines, so i was kind of curious if they are connected. Like you can keep paying $1 until you get a good fortune, then immediately use the slot machine and get a jackpot.. I tried for a while but never got a good fortune and splicers kept spawning so i got bored.

flip
08-27-2007, 03:27 AM
i never got anything good from them, and ya, they're just there for decorations man, that's it and that's all(some people might know what that quote is from :)) but ya, they're pretty much just there to make it seem more lifelike

Dave
08-27-2007, 07:18 AM
people in rapture had pay phones, its just there for design and detail

Graham31004
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I like all the items in the game (Toilets, Sinks, Phones etc) that you can use even though it really doesn't have a purpose. It makes it more intresting. And it does always leave the possiblity of more content added with less change to the original game.

abartshe
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
when i first saw the phone i thought you would be able to call Atlas or someone. even 911 but it is still cool that they went out of there way to put it in the game

DFILL450
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
just like wat the hell is the point of playing the guitar or the piano? absolutly nothin

o0PTIMUS PRIMEo
08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
it is the same thing as the toilet and sink.. it helps make the game more interactive

IncredibleBulk92
08-28-2007, 12:19 AM
actually on a forum somewhere i read that if you rang the number on the fone for a certain US area code* a little girl answers, I stopped reading to avoid spoilers 2bh so I'm not sure if thats true or not. I wouldn't ring it cos I live here in the UK, not really worth the international fone call

* Possibly Boston seeing as Irrational are based in Boston

K00PA TR00PA
08-28-2007, 12:34 AM
actually on a forum somewhere i read that if you rang the number on the fone for a certain US area code* a little girl answers, I stopped reading to avoid spoilers 2bh so I'm not sure if thats true or not. I wouldn't ring it cos I live here in the UK, not really worth the international fone call

* Possibly Boston seeing as Irrational are based in Boston

Not sure how you would enter in digits when you're not given that option!

killerharu45
08-28-2007, 01:22 AM
theyre pretty pointless. The fortune tellers say some funny stuff such as you do not do anything for your life or something like that. It would be better if they made funny messages to be played on the phone.

Ufochaser42
08-28-2007, 01:24 AM
can anyone tell me what is the point, of the pay phone?

Because if there were phones, sinks, toilets, guitars, pianos, etc in the game and you couldn't interact with them at all, you'd bitch and moan like a little girl. Well, maybe not YOU, but a lot of people would (i would). The problem is, we avid gamers expect certain little easter eggs throughout games. So, when we think there should be one in a certain place, we just can't believe that there isn't.

Actually, now that i think about it, there was a time when i turned on a sink and a EVE Hypo appeared in it. It may have just been me being blind and not seeing it before, or some glitch where it hadn't spawned right as i entered the room...

M7.Ninja
08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Anyone else noticed the sticker at the bottom of the payphone? The Emergency number is like, 7 digits long. No wonder that place fell apart! (At least in the demo it did)