PDA

View Full Version : How big has this year been/will be for games?

DeW222
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
This is a gigantic year for the gaming industry, no matter which way you slice it. Whether you're a console fanboy, a developer fanboy, a casual, a hardcore gamer, there's bound to be a game you're excited about. Well, it turns out that the facet of the game industry benefitting most right now are the retailers. Specifically, Gamestop's second quarterly profits were up 686%.

Link to GameSpot news article (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6177362.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;10)

GameStop earnings soar sevenfold Three-month net profits jump 686 percent as company finishes a record six months.

By Brendan Sinclair (http://www.gamespot.com/users/Polybren/), GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/) Posted Aug 23, 2007 11:18 am PT

While individual publishers succeed or fail in a growing game market, retailers benefit regardless of which titles turn out to be the biggest sellers. GameStop has been benefiting quite a bit lately, as the company today posted its second-quarter financial results, with net earnings nearly seven times what they were for the same stretch of time last year.
For the 13 weeks ended August 4, GameStop reported net earnings of $21.8 million, up 686 percent from the nearly $3.2 million the company posted in its second fiscal quarter last year. Revenues were also up, as the company reported more than $1.3 billion in sales for the quarter, compared to the $963 million it managed in the previous second quarter.
During a conference call with investors, GameStop executives called it the best-ever second-quarter performance in the company's history, capping off a record first half of the year. New hardware was a recurring theme on the call, with the executives noting that PlayStation 3 sales have doubled since the 60GB system received a price cut with no sign of slowing down, and that the Wii is expected to remain in bafflingly short supply until 2008.
"We have been getting a [Wii] shipment every week," said vice chairman and COO Dan DeMatteo. "And every week we ship the products to the stores, and I expect it to slow down. And it never does. I just don't know where the demand is."
While any retailer that sells games stands to benefit from a booming industry, GameStop CEO Dick Fontaine said that the company is exceeding the competition. For the year-to-date, GameStop has accounted for a larger slice of the retail market in every country in which it does business. Citing data from the industry-tracking NPD Group, Fontaine said that GameStop's US market share has now grown to 23 percent.

And to think... the third fiscal quarter of the year is when all the really craziness begins to happen.

veritas347
08-24-2007, 10:03 PM
i think its big because of of halo 3 and bi0oshock which have worked up so much hype and also gears of war had alot of hype as well

DeW222
08-24-2007, 10:31 PM
That's partially my point though, that's three games! Not only that, but most of Halo 3's revenue won't be brought in until the next fiscal quarter as reserved copies are only about 7% of the game price (and as far as I know the numbers take into account the reservation down payment, but doesn't tally the full game price). All in all I'd say the past fiscal quarter has had half a dozen big games across all the consoles/PC, and then there's the continued selling of consoles. In the next fiscal quarter there will be about two dozen big name titles across PC, 360, PS3, and Wii. Unless all of the games being sold have all been pre-ordered in full price then it should be the largest quarter the game industry has ever seen by a LONG shot.

Tele-Rock
08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I honestly can't remember a fall with this many high profile titles being anticipated. Starting a couple weeks back with Madden (granted always anticipated) then Bioshock, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, Army of Two, CoD4, Halo3, FIFA08, PGR4 . . . I mean crap the list goes on.

Haly
08-24-2007, 11:27 PM
It's going to be huge I think. I can't remember the last time I could name 10-15 games that I'd love to play that are all coming out in the space of a quarter. Got to be good for the industry in the long term :)

Vista
08-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Dont forget UT3, Brother in Arms, Assassins creed GH III and rockband !!

There is an overload of games that will all boost Gamestop's profits this year!!

hopesfall2win
08-25-2007, 12:42 AM
MERCENARIES 2..where's the love? :confused:
________
VERMONT MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

TimmayTheTurtle
08-25-2007, 12:56 AM
MERCENARIES 2..where's the love? :confused:

hell yeah dude i loved the first one i seriously played it for half year until i started getting KIND OF bored with it. and now the 2nd one with achievements, better graphics, and new story... fuck yeah dude. ill give it a lot of love :p

08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Approximately exactly as big as 2004. Halo 3 will balance Halo 2. Bioshock and Mass Effect will balance Madden 2005. All of the others will balance San Andreas.

Vista
08-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Approximately exactly as big as 2004. Halo 3 will balance Halo 2. Bioshock and Mass Effect will balance Madden 2005. All of the others will balance San Andreas.

No late 2007 and early 2008 will kill 2004, no doubt... Sure halo 2 was huge but now Halo 3 is even bigger. GTA IV is gonna be for next-gen and there are a handul of other games coming out as well.

Krueger
08-25-2007, 02:24 AM
ebgames will be makin so much money

Hulking Bubba65
08-25-2007, 02:43 AM
hell yeah dude i loved the first one i seriously played it for half year until i started getting KIND OF bored with it. and now the 2nd one with achievements, better graphics, and new story... fuck yeah dude. ill give it a lot of love :p
Dude stop spamming the site please, you didn't even answer the question that was posted.Please stop spamming.

On topic:This will be a fantastic year for the gaming companys and stores supply ing these games, they will be making a lot of money too.With all the games coming out, this is gonna be one of the best christmas' ever!All the games coming out i sgoing to be great let me name a few.....

Halo 3
Bioshock(already out)
Two Worlds(already out,but i heard it sucked so ill check that out)
Army Of Two
Assassin's Creed
Guitar Hero III
Rock Band
Mass Effect
Medal Of Honor:Airbourne
Stranglehold
skate.
Lego Star Wars:Complete Saga
CoD4
And the Wii has a bunch o games too but i won't get into that.
PGR4

08-25-2007, 04:42 AM
No late 2007 and early 2008 will kill 2004, no doubt... Sure halo 2 was huge but now Halo 3 is even bigger. GTA IV is gonna be for next-gen and there are a handul of other games coming out as well.

Nah. No one buys games early in the year. Out of cash. Christmas isn't getting any cheaper. Rockstar should have set their original date for November 26. They'd have probably met the deadline if they did. I don't know if Halo 3 is necessarily "bigger." Halo 2 had a much more lasting sales approach and, for that reason, there are people who bought Xboxes just to play it and haven't upgraded to a 360 yet. Halo 3 will have a much steeper dropoff. It's kind of like the box office nowadays with movies like Spider-Man and other crapfests. And if you can't name the games they aren't that important. And please don't reply with a list of them as we all could infer what they'd be. I wouldn't be shocked if it did go past 2004, but I would be very shocked if these games sold as well in 2008 as the 2004 ones did in 2005.

Haly
08-25-2007, 09:57 AM

I'd say it'll be bigger than that. There's a much wider selection of games as already listed in this thread. While back then, if you weren't hyped up about Halo 2 or San Andreas then you were pretty limited.
Madden has never had a big market in the UK so dunno how big an impact the games have.

08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I'd say it'll be bigger than that. There's a much wider selection of games as already listed in this thread. While back then, if you weren't hyped up about Halo 2 or San Andreas then you were pretty limited.
Madden has never had a big market in the UK so dunno how big an impact the games have.

Which was a good thing, because if you wanted to buy games you Madden, San Andreas, and Halo. Now with a great number of choices, you're going to come up with a dilution of sales. People aren't getting any richer, so it's still going to be three games, but everyone, save for Halo 3, will have a variety of choices in them. The wildcard, as always, is Nintendo with Super Mario Galaxy, which is shaping up to be a return to form.

Haly
08-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I was saying that variety was a good thing :confused:
But that it'll make the quarter bigger for the gamer due to the wider choice. :)

Personally back then I didn't buy any of those 3, I just waited for games I really liked to come out and for GTA and Halo 2 to drop in price :p
But this time round I'll have a wide enough choice to be able to avoid the hype machines and buy the games I enjoy i.e. Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Eternal Sonata, GH3, Blue Dragon etc.

I'm not quite sure where your figure of 3 games comes from though, from what I know of many of my gaming friends, they'll be buying more than that and they're hardly on good wages either!

Bolt
08-25-2007, 06:56 PM
plus the wii titles, Metroid 3, Smash Bros. and Galaxy

DeW222
08-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Which was a good thing, because if you wanted to buy games you Madden, San Andreas, and Halo. Now with a great number of choices, you're going to come up with a dilution of sales. People aren't getting any richer, so it's still going to be three games, but everyone, save for Halo 3, will have a variety of choices in them. The wildcard, as always, is Nintendo with Super Mario Galaxy, which is shaping up to be a return to form.

People getting richer or not is too large of a question for you to answer, but you're assuming that the game market has some extreme limitations put on to it because the largest percentage of gamers are those that only buy a very limited amount of games due to cash flow. These days, cash flow has very little to do with the big picture of game sales. Although the largest percentage of gamers still only buy a couple of games each quarter (because such a wide range of people play video games now - not because of cash), the largest market in the gaming industry is the heavy gamer group who buy a dozen games a quarter. Throw that notion that people will only buy 3 games at a time out the window.

From the NPD group's website: (http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_070710.html)
Heavy Gamers dominate with the highest frequency of use, both overall (39.3 hrs/wk of game play on any system) and by system type (23.9 hrs/wk playing consoles, 1.9 hrs playing portables and 13.6 hours playing PC/Mac)....

... Heavy Gamers purchased the most titles (13.1 in the past three months)... There are an estimated 4 million Heavy Gamers in the U.S. alone, and I highly doubt that number is getting smaller. With 4 million (est.) people buying 13 games every quarter (let's just assume that's a maximum) these 4 million people could buy just about every big name title coming out between now and the holidays by just cutting out sub-par games. That's just in the U.S. as well, not counting Canada or all of Europe. Not to mention probably every category of gamer will buy an extra title or two than their gamer "classification" says they will, with the heavier gaming categories quite possibly growing by absorbing smaller classes.

If everyone was buying only 3 games a quarter (and this will be one hell of a quarter) the gaming industry would be on life support and asking to have the plug pulled.

Haly
08-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Interesting stats there DeW :) I had a feeling it'd be something along those lines but that was just guesswork really from the people I know.

Scotian Bred
08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Its definatly the biggest year of game releases for the 360 .. here is thre HUGE titles that give it this year its extra edge.. HALO 3, GTA IV, Mass Effect

Tussell
08-25-2007, 09:06 PM

GTA IV is going to blow the shit out of this year for gaming dude. It'll fuckin' make a milestone. As will Halo 3, but GTA being multi-platform makes way for more sales.

08-26-2007, 04:44 AM
People getting richer or not is too large of a question for you to answer, but you're assuming that the game market has some extreme limitations put on to it because the largest percentage of gamers are those that only buy a very limited amount of games due to cash flow. These days, cash flow has very little to do with the big picture of game sales. Although the largest percentage of gamers still only buy a couple of games each quarter (because such a wide range of people play video games now - not because of cash), the largest market in the gaming industry is the heavy gamer group who buy a dozen games a quarter. Throw that notion that people will only buy 3 games at a time out the window.

From the NPD group's website: (http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_070710.html)
There are an estimated 4 million Heavy Gamers in the U.S. alone, and I highly doubt that number is getting smaller. With 4 million (est.) people buying 13 games every quarter (let's just assume that's a maximum) these 4 million people could buy just about every big name title coming out between now and the holidays by just cutting out sub-par games. That's just in the U.S. as well, not counting Canada or all of Europe. Not to mention probably every category of gamer will buy an extra title or two than their gamer "classification" says they will, with the heavier gaming categories quite possibly growing by absorbing smaller classes.

If everyone was buying only 3 games a quarter (and this will be one hell of a quarter) the gaming industry would be on life support and asking to have the plug pulled.

Looks like Mr. Missed-the-point just hit a homer. Listen, everyone here is going to buy more than three games by January 2008 but everyone has three games that are going to stand taller than all others; these are the must buys, these are the games that they will buy and play no matter what the circumstances are. In 2004, it was a very cookie cutter response for people. They want Madden. They want Grand Theft Auto. They want Halo. They want it now. Today you could ask 100 people on this forum and, while the pool of responses wouldn't vary significantly, the actual list would change greatly. Some people are set on Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, and Halo 3 while others are interested in Metal Gear Solid 4, Halo 3, and Mass Effect, and then there's your Mario and Super Smash and Skate and all those other titles that studios expect to bring in loads of money. I don't know why exactly you bothered with all your meaningless numbers. Wouldn't the 13 a quarter (which is absolutely an astounding number) people buying this year be the same 13 a quarter people who bought in 2004? People outgrow hardcore gaming while others grow into it and take their place. It all evens out. Maybe it gets a little bigger but then you have your mega crash and people wonder whey they made things after the Atari 2600 and then Mario saves the day and we don't learn anything about our past and then we repeat the process. But really, 13 games a quarter? Who drops over $3000 a year on video game software alone? In the grand scheme of things $3000 isn't a heck of a lot of money, but if you're going to be doing that without any worries then you certainly don't have the time to play the games or you just get by selling crack out of your mother's basement, crippling your future. Face it, your increasingly present casual gamer has absolutely zero interest in buying a game every week. He wants to buy, maybe, one a month, play it on his terms, and not be bogged down by it.

yoyojovan
08-26-2007, 05:28 AM
I think this is a huge year. With games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Halo 3, and Assassin's Creed this is an amazing year for games for xbox 360.