PDA

View Full Version : Artifact: Tome (Pages 1-3 Translated)

zingrook
04-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Highlight the Tome in the Artifacts menu.
Press A. Press X. LT to turn pages.
The text appears to be either further encoded, (perhaps using a substitution cipher, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_cipher) or it is utter gibberish, which seems unlikely. Feel free to attempt cracking it, and I will do the same. Typically the language is read top to bottom, right to left, however that system does not work here. Nor does rotating the image any number of degrees. It must be further encoded. I am working on it,

Page 1:
IDHOTTF
CROEYNF
OGTOPSI
xTTNSRL
xAONLHR
xENAHTE
xEIAENW
xPRCNEO

Page 2:
EEQUOEO
WTTPSOO
SGFINAP
xEASONU
xLTBANO
xNOSAEA
xNAEMIT
xCAIMRE

Page 3:
FUHLOIO
ENERIDH
TTUEHES
xTENEOS
xFETEGR
xSOHROT
xTADTTH
xOONIUU

[White "x" indicates space]

wizpig64
04-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Here's the rest.

Page 4:
PDDARDT
EIIPEOR
NTNHPNI
xRFESBT
xIOLIUE
xAIRDDR
xETRYDN
xTEHEYI

Page 5:
DEEBIHR
ESNWEFN
EAYTEPM
xHNGTOE
xLDSLIS
xATYSHF
xANNOGA
xANTEPU

Page 6:
OPAINHM
HAHEWLW
IAOUSCO
xSMUTTI
xOHUTDU
xDFTCGC
xDPWEFC
xECOPER

Page 7:
SNEDUDU
RDSSDSE
EERTAIS
xAOSSFI
xTPAWIB
xPREELO
xHTIRAI
xUDTRES

Page 8:
AERNEEO
DNQEOFE
DOIIEFB
xSGEEEO
xMIWTEN
xCGEGES
xSEEAEG
xSAETAN

Side note, maybe these pages are meant to be read Right to Left? This is the only example of the language that uses pages, but other top to bottom, right to left languages (japanese) read pages to the left as well (see: manga).

wizpig64
04-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Here are some statistics i gathered using python:

Number of letters (includes big ones on left-hand pages):
*E: 65
T: 37
*O: 35
*A: 31
N: 30
*I: 29
S: 28
R: 22
D: 21
H: 18
*U: 16
P: 15
F: 13
G: 10
L: 9
C: 9
W: 8
B: 7
M: 6
Y: 5
Q: 2
Z: 0
X: 0
V: 0
J: 0
K: 0

[vowels are starred. V has zero because U and V have the same character]

From this I would conclude that the text is not encrypted (e.g. rot13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROT13)) but is merely scrambled and must be put in the right order.

zingrook
04-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Well done, sir. I see your meaning, based on the English language's letter occurrence frequency, it does make sense that it is not substitution encrypted, but rather it is merely anagrammed.

wizpig64
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Here's my code and a plaintext file including the characters, if anyone wants to mess with them. I used underscores instead of X's so they wouldn't be counted. Off to grab food.

Pastebin alternatives: tome.txt (http://pastebin.com/ngJJd2a9), stats.py (http://pastebin.com/8Y5FXntG)

Scottcool
04-15-2012, 02:48 AM
I am starting to think that the answer to this tome translation could be the final piece of the puzzle. My first assumption would be that it describes the button presses needed in the black monolith room.

deaddeaddead
04-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I wouldn't be that surprised if the answer turned out to be more mathematically derived than just crypto or substitution.

The "title" of the tome is cube, after all (or quite likely, see the treasure map with roughly the same symbol and the word cube in the top left corner, see classroom chalkboards where the show 2 squares in the same alignment, etc.)

So, it could be a generic book. It could be a manual or a textbook. It seems a reasonable assumption to me though (based on character's reactions to cubes and higher dimensions, and the game endings) that it's some sort of holy or occult book.

The torah is traditionally written without any spaces and has a long history of mathematical mysticism with it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we're 'reading' it backwards; I'm fairly certain this is the only multi-page (particularly bound) text in the game. Chapters usually start with large heading letters, not end with them. Then again, that isn't the way it opens, and it's left-hand bound.

Regardless, there are 8 sets of 42 characters. There are 8 vertices on a cube, but otherwise I can't think of any significance.

And it doesn't seem to be written upside-down or mirrored, either; there's no parallel for 'E', at least.

RabidZombie
04-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Oh man, this is going to keep me up at night until it's solved.

Hey, you wouldn't mind rehosting the tome text at, say, pastebin would you? There's a silly 5 post requirement for accessing attachments, and I'd rather not spam for the sake of getting that one file.

zingrook
04-15-2012, 04:09 AM
No problem. http://pastebin.com/ea2pHngu

omniscient182
04-15-2012, 05:06 AM
I was thinking that since the first page has no big letter and the last page has no little letters, the book probably reads japanese style back to front.
Meaning that each page of small letters corresponds with the big letter on the other side.

I also thought of possibly seeing how many instances the big letter appears in the corresponding group of little letters.
My results were:
P 2 times
A 7 times
E 8 times
A 2 times
E 8 times
B 0 times
U 3 times
B 1 time

It could be nothing but its a lead.

I also think It would be odd for the tome to be used but the rest of the artifacts have no meaning.
Did anyone notice that the number cube goes 1, 9, 8, 5. Like a year 1985. The top number is 10, and the bottom is a square, which isnt a number but what has been commonly used in the game as jump.

Now the Letter artifact, says P, A, E, B. Just like the first 4 letters in the tome. The top letter could be any 4 of the letters L,Y, R and F. and the bottom letter could be any of U, V, O, I or C.

The skull artifact is useless though.

Maybe I`m over thinking it, and maybe I`m grasping at straws, but I feel like we`re close. The artifacts can`t possibly be there for no reason.

AgedSpy
04-15-2012, 05:31 AM
I was thinking that since the first page has no big letter and the last page has no little letters, the book probably reads japanese style back to front.
Meaning that each page of small letters corresponds with the big letter on the other side.

I also thought of possibly seeing how many instances the big letter appears in the corresponding group of little letters.
My results were:
P 2 times
A 7 times
E 8 times
A 2 times
E 8 times
B 0 times
U 3 times
B 1 time

It could be nothing but its a lead.

I also think It would be odd for the tome to be used but the rest of the artifacts have no meaning.
Did anyone notice that the number cube goes 1, 9, 8, 5. Like a year 1985. The top number is 10, and the bottom is a square, which isnt a number but what has been commonly used in the game as jump.

Now the Letter artifact, says P, A, E, B. Just like the first 4 letters in the tome. The top letter could be any 4 of the letters L,Y, R and F. and the bottom letter could be any of U, V, O, I or C.

The skull artifact is useless though.

Maybe I`m over thinking it, and maybe I`m grasping at straws, but I feel like we`re close. The artifacts can`t possibly be there for no reason.
Maybe 1985 Is The Old Version Of The Town And You Have To Jump 10 Times In Some Area Of The Old Town.... Idk... All Of What You Came Up With Seems Like It Is Pretty Close To Solving The Black Monolith... Im Sure Somebody Will Figure It Out Somebody Might Have Already Figured It Out Though Somebody's At 309.4% On The Leaderboards.

crooked444
04-15-2012, 05:34 AM
The 309.4 guy glitched. He found an infinite anti-cube glitch. 209.4 is the highest. So far there is only 1 person who has figured the black monolith out and he is the soundguy for the game, the others are there because of the 33 anticubes.

AgedSpy
04-15-2012, 05:37 AM
So I Know That The 33 Anti-cube Is A Glitch But How Do You Come Across It?

omniscient182
04-15-2012, 05:37 AM
The guy that has 309.4 found an infinite anti cube glitch. in his gamertag description it says his twitter is owcz and his last tweet says:

figured out the Fez bell puzzle & found unlimited anticube glitch => come at me

So... yeah.

(https://twitter.com/#)

omniscient182
04-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Anyone else thinking that the sides of the two cube artifacts might correspond with each other? if so then

P=1
A=9
E=8
B=5
U=10
L=Jump

zingrook
04-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Attempting to use the Writing Cube to decipher the Tome has proven troublesome, though informational. Since it seems no one has noticed, I posit the following graphic, illustrating that the die is capable of creating each letter of the FEZ alphabet if correctly rotated. Perhaps the key is here. The letters below are written thus:

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U W X Y
xxxxVxxxZ

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii563/zingrook/FEZalpha2.png

JSchweck
04-15-2012, 07:28 AM
If we go the encryption route, could the large font letters be a letter offset for the page it belongs to?

mas4mune
04-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Attempting to use the Writing Cube to decipher the Tome has proven troublesome, though informational. Since it seems no one has noticed, I posit the following graphic, illustrating that the die is capable of creating each letter of the FEZ alphabet if correctly rotated. Perhaps the key is here. The letters below are written thus:

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U W X Y
xxxxVxxxZ

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii563/zingrook/FEZalpha2.png

nice pokeballs. ;)
i definitely noticed that too, but yielded no results.

JSchweck
04-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Or, since we know the letters are right, could the big font represent a number, and then we are supposed to jump to each letter that is X letters from the previous one?

mas4mune
04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
if you compare the two learning cubes like dice, the letters can correspond to numbers. you get (right to left) 4,5,4,6,2,6,2,1. from what i can tell, using those numbers to jump to letters doesn't work. i tried using LT and RT in those combinations in the monolith in every which way possible and position and that doesn't work either. it has to be something so simple we're missing it entirely.
EDIT: i'm so confused. the numbers on the counting cube aren't the same as the regular numbers. i mean, they are, but some represent different numbers with the exception of 6 which is a cube and not in the regular number system at all. there seems to be two number systems or something. in one room 1-6 are listed as they are on the cube, but the rest of the time they're represented differently. in the same room there are numbers on the wall like writing, but some are rotated and none of it makes sense. either that or i've finally lost it.

SnapDragon
04-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I had a few thoughts on this. The achievement when you get the Tome is called "Haikus not epics", which is odd. Furthermore, there are a few haikus scattered through the world.
Outside the observatory: THE POINTS CONSTELLATE / CONSPIRE TO CREATE SHAPES / SHAPES TO TESSELLATE
Below the clock: ALL OF TIME AND SPACE / AND THE SPACE OUTSIDE OF SPACE / DOES IT EVER END
There may be others I've missed.

I'm wondering if these haikus link to the Tome in some way. Two observations that might just be coincidence: the first page has all the letters necessary to make the first haiku (if you repeat some). And the second page has TIME AN going backwards on row 7, a sequence of letters from the second haiku.

BTW, Masamune, different shapes can represent the same number. This confused me at first, too. All numbers are combinations of up (1), right (2), down (3), and left (4) strokes.

KingEdgar0
04-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Mas4mune:
The square/cube on the counting block is used to write a zero, though the only place I have seen a zero in the game is in the "math room" in the completed version of Zu, on the wall that enumerates the dimensions.

There is only one number system, but some numbers can be written multiple ways. The counting block isn't a die in the traditional sense; it is a tool that could be used to write/stamp the numbers.

Too many letters and numbers spinning around in my head from working on this thing, I think I need to get some sleep :)

mas4mune
04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Mas4mune:
The square/cube on the counting block is used to write a zero, though the only place I have seen a zero in the game is in the "math room" in the completed version of Zu, on the wall that enumerates the dimensions.

There is only one number system, but some numbers can be written multiple ways. The counting block isn't a die in the traditional sense; it is a tool that could be used to write/stamp the numbers.

how can you be sure? in that same math room it has a die template and the numbers 1-6 (guesstimate) in order underneath. it doesn't make sense that it would end in zero. all the other numbers correspond like they would on a regular die if you are to believe the order they're given in in that room. like i specified, this room in particular has the same counting system as the counting block. not that i believe that is the key to the tome, though.

Scottcool
04-15-2012, 02:19 PM
in the math room it does appear to show a square as zero, it has a square over a dot, 1 over a line, 2 over a square and 3 over a cube. I tried asking BeeMickSee(fez sound guy) for a pointer but he said he is sworn to secrecy.

mas4mune
04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
in the math room it does appear to show a square as zero, it has a square over a dot, 1 over a line, 2 over a square and 3 over a cube. I tried asking BeeMickSee(fez sound guy) for a pointer but he said he is sworn to secrecy.
hmm. i do remember looking at that. that's some weird die template in the room, then. different culture i know, but so far things have been fairly logical. i can't imagine the counting cube has anything to do with the tome if it has such a strange combination of numbers, and one that doesn't even translate. back to square one.

zingrook
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Tome facts:

18 pages (Front and back)

16 pages with letters (Front and back)

2 blank pages (Front and back)

8 pages with 1 large letter each (Front)
(Right to left, "B U B E A E A P")

8 pages with 51 small letters each (Back)
(Translated top to bottom, right to left - see http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ea2pHngu)

The presence of frequent double-consonants in the text implies some form of either substitution-ciphering or the necessity of applying some form of letter-omission. The fact that each page contains the seem amount of letters makes it improbable, if not utterly impossible, for there to be any straightforward sentences in the text. The text is either encrypted or gibberish. What seems most likely is the letter omission theory. Application of this method of decryption would remove the duplicate sequential consonants and increase the possibility of legible sentences.

Carry on.

Scottcool
04-15-2012, 06:59 PM
with the answer to the metatron room not being so straight forward i think there is going to be some sort of sudden revelation such as look at it sideways on, yada yada. my two bits is that some how there is a tetris code on each page that will show when the letters are moved but it could only show up while it is viewed in fez language

kreemi
04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
with the answer to the metatron room not being so straight forward i think there is going to be some sort of sudden revelation such as look at it sideways on, yada yada. my two bits is that some how there is a tetris code on each page that will show when the letters are moved but it could only show up while it is viewed in fez language

thats actually really good thinking.. using the large letter as a starting point on each page and 'rolling' the writing cube could reveal the tetris shapes you speak of. i need to try this.

can anyone confirm?

zingrook
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Holy hell, that is brilliant! Working on a practical way to do this now.

Update: Nope. I made a dice and everything. Nothing. The turns to match the letters on the page are impossible.

zingrook
04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
<b><i>Zomba13 posted...</i></b>
<i>Apparently a user on NeoGAF has all three red cubes.</i>

Here is his post claiming to have all 3 pieces of the heart cube:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36974812&postcount=1456

And the thread in which he wrote it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469335&page=30

Scottcool
04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
i've been looking at those pages and it looks like you could draw pictures by moving the letters about in fez language but how you would go about that is another story

EDIT: whoa hang on, yeah Uncertain2013 has 228.1% in second on the boards and tryher has 212.5% so its either more glitching or solved

FrogInTheStreet
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Treyher has it solved. There is a pic in the other forum that was linked. The guys in first and second place used a glitch to get multiple cubes. I saw the dude in second place online and it said he had 71 cubes.

Thordalis
04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey guys,

The big letters got me thinking about a Caesar Cipher for the pages.

I tried every offset possible for the 8th page put it still looks like gibberish.
Here is the link : Every offset for page 8 using a Caesar Cipher (http://pastebin.com/40Rm5rwi)

However if you look at "With space offset 4", and look for the 'I's at the bottom left, it looks like a Tetris block.

Maybe we ought to look for the shapes in the pages, rather than the actual meaning ?

I thought about it because the distribution of letters looks like that of the english language, which would suggest the message isn't encoded (at least not with a Caesar Cipher). Maybe the message is just a random selection of letters to match the distribution of the english letters? It is extremely rare (impossible?) to see the same letters 3 times in a row in a word after all...

What do you think ?

wizpig64
04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
A neat idea. You don't need to do any ciphering on that last page to see the shape though, and none of the other pages yield shapes from what i can see.

Lego Enthusiast
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, Feep from the neogaf forums posted that people had cracked the tome and were working through it.

"Tome was solved; people are going through it and solving it now. Surprised no one figured it out earlier...

You have to read it "three dimensionally", moving page by page for each letter. The order of pages is: 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7, 4, 8. They spell out Haikus."

Here is the thread: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=469335&page=33

Just thought I would pass this along!

Space Cadet
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
The tome has been translated and appears to have nothing to do with the monolith puzzle. It's just haikus that vaguely allude to the history of the game's universe. BTW I take no credit for this.

FROM OUT OF NOWHERE
IMPOSSIBLE VISITORS
OUR BENEFACTORS

WATCHING OVER US
IN THE HIDDEN FOLDS OF SPACE
IN FRONT OF BEHIND

GIVE THE GOLDEN GIFT
A DEEP REVELATION
OUR EYES WIDE OPEN

SHAPES TO TESSELLATE
WITH SACRED GEOMETRY
AN EMPIRE TO BUILD